Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vx5yKTLDh0

Enjoy this nauseating 4 minute video of me killing one mounted enemy. The part at the end came out really well, I am pretty happy with the comedic timing of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
been busy and gaming less for a few years, but hello. how is the game? it seems like people play it solo more and more as the norm, i maxed out the kinhall fees again but will need to come back eventually to stock up gold

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

extra stout posted:

been busy and gaming less for a few years, but hello. how is the game? it seems like people play it solo more and more as the norm, i maxed out the kinhall fees again but will need to come back eventually to stock up gold

Oh hai. Things are good, including the last couple class updates. There's a new race recently. They just hosed up mounted combat while trying stat crunching. Crafting patch coming relatively soon. And ya, pretty much everything is soloable till endgame.

I paid for the last kinhall update cycle on Landy so you are not alone.

They made some PVM updates but I haven't checked them out yet. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on those.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 11, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Everything I've seen from the Mariner preview has encouraged me to jump back into the game on its release, I know I probably won't last long enough to get very far but I wouldn't mind doing Moria again if nothing else.
Particularly since I can try out the Before the Shadow early leveling stuff rather than going through the old route I've trod a million times before.

Just need to decide whether to go a Stout-Axe, High Elf, River Hobbit or Man I guess.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Someone pointed out that every playable race except Men have now gotten playable subraces (with updated models). I wonder when we’ll get playable Dúnedain?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Comrade Koba posted:

Someone pointed out that every playable race except Men have now gotten playable subraces (with updated models). I wonder when we’ll get playable Dúnedain?

Do Beornings not count as the alternative race for Men?

Just finishing off Epic Vol IV - Book 4 and holy poo poo I can't wait to see the back of Minas Tirith. The city itself is awesome but having book quests send you up and down six different tiers repeatedly is maddening, especially with how laggy it is. It gets even worse during the battle stage where there are no stable masters - what were they thinking? Just dreadful game design and spoils the experience entirely. Hopefully later book quests aren't like this.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 17, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

piano chimp posted:

Do Beornings not count as the alternative race for Men?

Bit of an edge case I guess, but personally I would say no since they're more of a new class that also has some new appearances bundled with it.

Also, Dúnedain are probably more lore-iconic than all of the other alternative races (possibly excluding High Elves), so I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't put them in the game yet.

piano chimp posted:

Just finishing off Epic Vol IV - Book 4 and holy poo poo I can't wait to see the back of Minas Tirith. The city itself is awesome but having book quests send you up and down six different tiers repeatedly is maddening, especially with how laggy it is. It gets even worse during the battle stage where there are no stable masters - what were they thinking? Just dreadful game design and spoils the experience entirely. Hopefully later book quests aren't like this.

My Warden main is 105 and I really don't feel like progressing further through Gondor because I know I'll loving hate MT once I get there. Two days of festival event dailies was enough to make me never want to see the place again.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Comrade Koba posted:

Bit of an edge case I guess, but personally I would say no since they're more of a new class that also has some new appearances bundled with it.

Also, Dúnedain are probably more lore-iconic than all of the other alternative races (possibly excluding High Elves), so I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't put them in the game yet.

My Warden main is 105 and I really don't feel like progressing further through Gondor because I know I'll loving hate MT once I get there. Two days of festival event dailies was enough to make me never want to see the place again.

Yeah, fair point. We did end up with high elves which I personally thought were too out there for LotRO to implement but then they turned out great. Dúnedain Mariner would be extremely thematic as well.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
i have been playing this game a little for the first time in a million years. I have a Woman Champion in Evendim. I died for the first time there because I walked off too high of a cliff.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
thats pretty good! are you playing with the increased landscape difficulty?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Would be interesting if the devs took “increased landscape difficulty” as literally as possible and now a four-foot stumble hits harder than Shelob.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'm playing on +2 difficulty I think. I don't know what the ideal difficulty to play as is.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Stagger_Lee posted:

I'm playing on +2 difficulty I think. I don't know what the ideal difficulty to play as is.

3 Fearless is the one you wanna be on, because you get all the titles

Also today is last day of premium house writ discount, if y'all eyeing that belfalas estate now is the time

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 21, 2023

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Oh well, I probably shouldn't give myself a reason to restart! That makes sense, though. At +2 I don't really have problems even if I get patrolled into. Just a little bit more would probably feel more like an old MMO.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

They just hosed up mounted combat while trying stat crunching.

Would now be a terrible time to resume where I left off at the start of West Rohan?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Stagger_Lee posted:

Oh well, I probably shouldn't give myself a reason to restart! That makes sense, though. At +2 I don't really have problems even if I get patrolled into. Just a little bit more would probably feel more like an old MMO.

I think the big dif is that you get the random aoe ground nuke at 3, right? Folks tend to agree it's annoying.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It can really hurt if you don’t notice it in time. Idk it gets easier with more/health or defenses (unless it’s just as flat % health hit or something ), but it definitely killed my brawler once or twice when I was mass pulling stuff and didn’t notice. Wish it stood out a bit more.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
LOTRO’s canceled remaster

EG7 has its investor meeting and said the reported LOTRO remaster isn't happening because it would cost to much money.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
A bummer, but not surprising.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

xZAOx posted:

A bummer, but not surprising.

Yeah :sigh:

Let's get a kickstarter going to fund it.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
My guess is the suits idea of a remaster was way more ambitious and thus way more expensive, than what the aging playerbase had in mind.

Oh well. Maybe some day we'll get a lag fix though.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would now be a terrible time to resume where I left off at the start of West Rohan?

Honestly you can really kind of ignore the mounted combat anyway. There might be a couple quests in the books that force you to do it, but most of it is optional.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quill posted:

My guess is the suits idea of a remaster was way more ambitious and thus way more expensive, than what the aging playerbase had in mind.

Oh well. Maybe some day we'll get a lag fix though.

LOTRO's over 20 years old. There is a lot of technical debt they'd have to address in any sort of overhaul. 30 million sounds positively cheap compared to making a new MMO though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

LOTRO's over 20 years old. There is a lot of technical debt they'd have to address in any sort of overhaul. 30 million sounds positively cheap compared to making a new MMO though.

This is probably an unpopular take but... don't modern MMO graphics still look like total poo poo?

I have been watching some New World videos...man it looks ugly as gently caress. In LotrO you get all these moments where the game looks phenomenal despite its age, even in the vanilla client with 0 addons or graphic enhancements.

Maybe the game doesn't really need a graphics overhaul if the "new games" in the genre aren't even looking good.

ESO and GW2 arguably have better visuals than LotrO, but they are also very very old games

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 15th anniversary was last year, so not quite that old. The technical debt part absolutely tracks, though.

Mr. Pickles posted:

This is probably an unpopular take but... don't modern MMO graphics still look like total poo poo?

I have been watching some New World videos...man it looks ugly as gently caress. In LotrO you get all these moments where the game looks phenomenal despite its age, even in the vanilla client with 0 addons or graphic enhancements.

Maybe the game doesn't really need a graphics overhaul if the "new games" in the genre aren't even looking good.

ESO and GW2 arguably have better visuals than LotrO, but they are also very very old games

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual players who are calling for HD remakes. Sounds more like an investor thing.

At this point I'd settle for just updated creature models, some of the early game stuff looks really janky up close (like all the humans having a low-res face texture plastered onto an almost square head model).

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I'd just like a serious commitment to fixing the lag issues but my suspicion is they won't do anything major. According to Daybreak, the game is profitable enough with steady player numbers, so generally people will put up with it. Disappointing but would make sense from a business perspective: why spend money on a "nice to have" when people are going to pay you regardless?

Someone on that MassivelyOP article described the game as a "milking machine for boomer whales". I don't think this is that far off to be honest.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

piano chimp posted:

Someone on that MassivelyOP article described the game as a "milking machine for boomer whales". I don't think this is that far off to be honest.

IDK if "whale" is applicable here, tbh. Granted I have never reached contemporary "endgame" in LotrO so IDK whether the endgame content is dominated by whales or not, but it certainly doesnt seem like it.

I have seen a few toons running around levelling with 15 different buffs from P2W consumables active on them, but I don't think this behavior affects others in the slightest.

Certainly a whale with P2W buffs can be more powerful than a regular player in a endgame raid, but I don't think its game breaking. Could be wrong though.

You can certainly blast some aspects of the game instantly through P2W (like virtues, for example), but you won't get anything which cannot be attained by regular farming. If anything, the Store nowadays if much less anal about QoL moneysinks than it used to be. You do need a Sub for QoL, but you no longer need other accompanying purchases with it to enjoy the game QoL-wise.

Whales can get their palace houses and 400 slot inventory bags and vault upgrades but this doesn't affect the regular playerbase in the slightest, imo.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The game was far more of a money sink just a few years ago. When I started playing you still had to pay LotrO points to unlock each zone after the Lone-lands, and pay full price for all the old expansions even though most of them were a decade old at that point.

I guess technically you could have unlocked all the pre-Moria zones by simply doing deeds and collecting points, but since (IIRC) most zone quest packs cost 995-1995 points, that'd be a lot of grinding.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Whales can get their palace houses and 400 slot inventory bags and vault upgrades but this doesn't affect the regular playerbase in the slightest, imo.

Also, this. If some guy wants to spend $$$ just so he can ride around wearing the Shining Codpiece of Eärendil, just let him.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 25, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

I guess technically you could have unlocked all the pre-Moria zones by simply doing deeds and collecting points, but since (IIRC) most zone quest packs cost 995-1995 points, that'd be a lot of grinding.

That would be borderline insane though.

It is a Pay to Play game, in that you do need a subscription to enjoy it. Complete F2P is sadly out of question if you wish to progress in the game, but P2P and P2W are completely different things, and I would not say this game is Pay2Win

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey I didn't realize this game was still around, but I guess I'll try it out.

The website sure wants to sell me a ton of $20 - $40 expansion packs - are any of them useful to have at the beginning of the game, or are they generally expansions to endgame content?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

That would be borderline insane though.

It is a Pay to Play game, in that you do need a subscription to enjoy it. Complete F2P is sadly out of question if you wish to progress in the game, but P2P and P2W are completely different things, and I would not say this game is Pay2Win

Yes, I was trying to make the point that the people accusing LotrO of only catering to whales and/or being aggressively monetized probably haven't noticed they've been taking steps in the opposite direction.

I would disagree on needing a subscription to enjoy the game. I subscribed for a month ~3 years ago to get Premium status for my account, which at that time at least gave some nice QoL changes that were unlocked permanently. I haven't subscribed since, and the only money I've spent on the game has been buying the later expansions (when they were heavily discounted). I haven't reached endgame on my main yet, but I've never gotten the feeling that I was lacking anything important.

Also I'd say that while it isn't complete F2P, it's a lot closer to that than what it used to be. Everything up to and including Helm's Deep is now free to all players, and that is an insane amount of free content that would take most casual players months if not years to complete.

Definitely agree on it not being P2W, though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Annath posted:

The website sure wants to sell me a ton of $20 - $40 expansion packs - are any of them useful to have at the beginning of the game, or are they generally expansions to endgame content?

You don't need to buy anything at all. There's a couple of races and classes that are tied to the expansions they came with, but you can buy them in the store separately if you really want them.

Just go play, you don't need to think about buying expansion content for a long time. If you hit level 20-25 and still feel like it's something you might want to keep playing, you can sub for a single month to get your account to Premium status for some QoL upgrades.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 25, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Annath posted:

Nowadays a F2P account unlocks a crapton of content for you as well as some expansions, but I suggest you get at least 1 month of VIP sub. Once you pay 1 month of VIP your account will automatically upgrade from F2P to Premium account, meaning that some of the QoL upgrades of VIP will stay with your account forever, even if you cancel your subscription

Expansions up to and including Helms Deep are Free for all since 2022. This means you can reach lvl 95 with a free/VIP account without needing to purchase any expansions or anything. That is 100s of hours of content to go through. If you actually complete all that you will be committed to the game enough to begin purchasing Xpacs and work your way up to current cap (140).

To be more clear, the free Xpacs everyone gets are:
Mines of Moria
Siege of Mirkwood
Rise of Isengard
Riders of Rohan
Helms Deep

This page explains it all:
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Type

Comrade Koba posted:

I would disagree on needing a subscription to enjoy the game.

This is actually true. You don't even need VIP sub! I choose to pay the sub because
1)I am addicted to the QoL (VIP members can access mailbox, vault and shop services from anywhere, they also get more inv space and shared wardrobe space to dress their characters)
2)It unlocks all quests in all areas. Without VIP you will run into paywalled quests which will prompt you to spend coins to accept (you dont actually have to do these quests). This will not happen on a VIP account.
3)VIP status nets you 500 store coins per month, with which you can purchase expansions when you need them (protip: Xpacs go on sale regularly so you can snag them cheap). So you get to enjoy the added QoL while also working towards eventually getting these expansions required for progress.
4)I want to support the game, its a great game.

I do feel somewhat cheated out of my money for having purchased all these xpacs and paid QoL updates over the years which are now free to all, but what can you do.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 25, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Awesome, thanks. I certainly don't mind dropping $15 at the start - that's the cost of admission for Wow and I played that for almost 15 years :v:

I made a High Elf Champion(?) (I have 2 swords).

I have to go to work, but I'll give it a try tonight!

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Comrade Koba posted:

Yes, I was trying to make the point that the people accusing LotrO of only catering to whales and/or being aggressively monetized probably haven't noticed they've been taking steps in the opposite direction.

I dunno, there seems to be a lot of cash shop stuff aimed squarely at high income players. The new race costs at least £15 with a few cosmetic bundles costing 2x or even 3x as much. The new houses cost about £25. There's also a schedule of FOMO cosmetic bundles which top out at a whopping £70 :wtc:. If this doesn't scream whaling then I don't know what it looks like!

I understand that this stuff may be necessary to keep the game alive but I can't help feeling a bit mugged off that us normal players still have to deal with the same lag issues that have been a problem for years. It especially sucks having saved up for the light warsteed spec to have it essentially be unusable (or at least turn into an extreme sport) at peak times. But there's probably no financial incentive for SSG to do anything about it cos there's enough boomers running around with £70 Shining Codpieces of Eärendil.

Mr. Pickles posted:

4)I want to support the game, its a great game.

But also :same:. None of the above stops me from buying VIP and I'd recommend the game to anyone who loves LotR and retro RPGs, and has the patience required to deal with some of the quirks of the game. It's aged really well with some pretty spectacular scenery - just be careful riding around steep cliffs at peak time and you're golden!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Comrade Koba posted:

The 15th anniversary was last year, so not quite that old. The technical debt part absolutely tracks, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual players who are calling for HD remakes. Sounds more like an investor thing.

At this point I'd settle for just updated creature models, some of the early game stuff looks really janky up close (like all the humans having a low-res face texture plastered onto an almost square head model).

The game launched 16 years ago but the development started in 98 or 99. Some of the systems we're using in Lotro are over 20 years old at this point as are some of the models and textures. :shrug:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Was actually going to re-sub for a few months to support the game if nothing else, but hey, it looks like they still haven't fixed the bug from over a month ago that makes it impossible for some accounts to pay for stuff in the new store. :psyduck:

Kinda glad they're not doing a large-scale remake at this point, who knows what they'd manage to break?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So this game has mods/plugins.

Coming from WoW, mods were, while not mandatory, very very useful for all levels of play, and most guilds required at least some for endgame content.

Are there any mods that would be recommended for a new player starting out?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the only mod I've ever used are some music playing ones, and lots of these are years out of date, but this is the best place to look I believe: https://www.lotrointerface.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Get the lotro compendium for mod management so you don't have to interact with the website. There are some cool map mods and some trackers. I like Titan Bars for the summary at the top. Palantir is kinda neat for status popups. But no, nothing is particularly necessary, except Travel Window 2 imo. Here's my list:

altholic
Buff monitor
Cooking Reference
Deed Tracker
FishingHelper
ItemTreasury
LootLogs
Lost Lore Reference
LOTRO Compendium
MiniRaid
MoorMap
Palantir II