Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I mean, the subtitle of the series IS "Moiraine Damordred's One Long Continuous Unending Mistake"...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you think about it Rand's prophesised to face the Dark One at the Last Battle so he literally can't lose before then, it's fine

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Rarity posted:

If you think about it Rand's prophesised to face the Dark One at the Last Battle so he literally can't lose before then, it's fine

yes, this kind of thinking is sound and will never cause problems

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

And Arthur Dent can't die before visiting Stavro Mueller Beta

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rarity posted:

Goddammit, I can't reply to this properly. Suffice to say that one of the characters in this series would agree with you!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Goddammit, I can't reply to this properly. Suffice to say that one of the characters in this series would agree with you!

Cloying posts like this suck rear end and are the bane of every no spoiler genre show thread.

Come and post with us in the book barn instead!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Lanfear is just Makima from Chainsaw Man

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

You son of a bitch it was a bonzai it's MEANT TO BE TINY

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm not sure how the casting department found so many different tiers of actors. Some actors are absolutely killing it, while others would struggle reading lines on a CW show.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Diversity casting is ruining streaming tv

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don’t get what they were hoping to do with that ring thing? Control it, and use it as a disguise to sneak in the prison?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don’t get what they were hoping to do with that ring thing? Control it, and use it as a disguise to sneak in the prison?

Gotta figure out how to make it work before you can figure out how to defeat it.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Mat and Perrin are clearly inspired by the real man Matthew Perry if u think about it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I like how nynaeve accidentally channelled too much and then the gestapo knocks on the door 3 seconds later. Like they were just leaning against the wall outside the whole time

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

I like how nynaeve accidentally channelled too much and then the gestapo knocks on the door 3 seconds later. Like they were just leaning against the wall outside the whole time

That was Basan, Ryma’s warder, who knocked at the door. Presumably he was paying attention to the Seanchan patrolling the area, and noticed them noticing something.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ohhh, gotcha

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
so many Feelings

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Egwene's acting is on another level, man. Weird how they messed up another edit of her scenes though. First the double take a couple of episodes back, and now there's a horizontally flipped shot.

sweet geek swag posted:

Goddammit, I can't reply to this properly. [...]

Maybe there's a lesson here?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 22, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
cw-tier music in this ep

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The actress who played Renna was terrifiying, jesus

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can't free Egwene if you can't even open the collar

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Vim Fuego posted:

In addition to what was already said, I think she did the equivalent of shooting off a magical gun - anyone able to sense it within a good distance would "hear" it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Skyl3lazer posted:

In addition to what was already said, I think she did the equivalent of shooting off a magical gun - anyone able to sense it within a good distance would "hear" it.

The most powerful channeler in a thousand years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think the show did an outstanding job of showing that she is basically tooling around in a Ferrari and she doesn’t know how to drive clutch

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

I think the show did an outstanding job of showing that she is basically tooling around in a Ferrari and she doesn’t know how to drive clutch

Nynaeve: Ferrari F40 owner that can't drive stick

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Donnerberg posted:

Egwene's acting is on another level, man.

yeah that was really impressive. both the acting and makeup. she genuinely looked beaten to a pulp

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As a book reader and understanding the limitations of cramming a 14-book series into chunks of 8 episodes or whatever, I'm really enjoying this season.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yeah that was really impressive. both the acting and makeup. she genuinely looked beaten to a pulp

Honestly think she just made herself a good future career out of this one episode. That was baller.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

D-Pad posted:

Honestly think she just made herself a good future career out of this one episode. That was baller.

Three careers probably -- Renna and Ryma's actresses were also just brilliant

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

So, for non-book readers:
After this episode, do you remember that scene in episode 3(?) where Uno was killed (spike through the head)? And do you remember the Damane going through the villagers, pointing at some girls?

Who do you think got off easier?

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Good episode, enjoyed it a lot. First time seeing new Mat and Rand together was great. Editing's still jank, though. With some shots I can tell what's wrong, but sometimes I can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the rhythm's slightly off.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
From a film-making standpoint, how do you do so many scenes where Egwene crumples to the ground in a heap? It’s supposed to look sudden and painful, which means the falls were likely also abrupt and uncoordinated. Is there a trick to keeping the actress from injuring herself? Stunt doubles? Hidden pads on the floor? Days of fall training? I wasn’t watching episode 6 with a critical eye for that sequence, but now I’m curious.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Moonlit Knight posted:

Good episode, enjoyed it a lot. First time seeing new Mat and Rand together was great. Editing's still jank, though. With some shots I can tell what's wrong, but sometimes I can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the rhythm's slightly off.

I think one shot of her was horizontally mirrored, it was odd.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

From a film-making standpoint, how do you do so many scenes where Egwene crumples to the ground in a heap? It’s supposed to look sudden and painful, which means the falls were likely also abrupt and uncoordinated. Is there a trick to keeping the actress from injuring herself? Stunt doubles? Hidden pads on the floor? Days of fall training? I wasn’t watching episode 6 with a critical eye for that sequence, but now I’m curious.
At the very least hidden pads on the floor. Also there are various techniques that drastically reduce the pain and danger from falling down.

If you want to know more:
Corridor Crew - Stuntwomen react
Corridor Crew - Stuntmen react

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Makes sense to me for Egwene's shots to be disjointed as she's cracking up and losing it, especially after Rand and Lanfear stop by in T'A'R.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
An actually good episode, will wonders never cease. Enjoyed the Suspiria-style body-mangling towards the end.

Racking my brains where I recognise The Evil Queen from - turns out she was one of the Lara Crofts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Casting call: contortionists

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Some examples of the editing jank I mean:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

Some examples of the editing jank I mean:

I think I know what you’re complaining about in all three, but can you confirm?

1. Mat’s head isn’t looking the same direction before and after the cut

2. Mat’s body isn’t shaped the same before and after the cut

3. Too many consecutive shots of Rand from different angles before we get one of his conversational partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

Grundulum posted:

I think I know what you’re complaining about in all three, but can you confirm?

1. Mat’s head isn’t looking the same direction before and after the cut

2. Mat’s body isn’t shaped the same before and after the cut

3. Too many consecutive shots of Rand from different angles before we get one of his conversational partner

1. yes
2. Mat's leaning forward before the cut and backward afterwards
3. Rand's looking down when we see him from the front, but standing ramrod straight when he's shot from the back. Then at the end it cuts from one frontal shot to slightly farther one and his stance doesn't quite line up