Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You know how most EW patches have removed the gender locks on maybe 10-20 old items? I expect most DT patches will similarly enable a second dye channel on a couple dozen old items, probably until they've covered all the old artifact armors and some of the most used glam pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hope Hien’s technicolor dreamcoat is at the top of the list

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just rechecked the keynote, and they didn't specify anything either way, actually. Just they'll do as much as they can in 7.0 / 7.x.

I mean, that's what I did, and just redid. They said 7.0 and 2.0 will be done first, and they'll close in on the middle expansions over time. I guess that could mean 2.0 will be spread out, but it didn't seem like it to me.

Hogama posted:

It probably won't be strictly linear like adding Duty Support was. Doma Castle was one of their preview highlights (to show off the improved metallic gold in the environments), and they said that it'd take some time for all the NPCs to get updated and so to be prepared for (and be understanding of) some dissonance as old models/textures will be in the mix. But any NPCs built strictly on the player system will have immediate improvements, because all the player model/textures are the priority for 7.0.

Doma Castle was primarily about the lighting and shading, and that is the automatic stuff. They also plan on adding extra objects and polygons to areas since they won't be held back by memory limitations as much, and that's the stuff that's going to take extra time.

FuturePastNow posted:

You know how most EW patches have removed the gender locks on maybe 10-20 old items? I expect most DT patches will similarly enable a second dye channel on a couple dozen old items, probably until they've covered all the old artifact armors and some of the most used glam pieces.

This I can directly quote, where they say, "We may not be able to apply this to certain housing items, ones that are particularly difficult, but we will try to apply it to as much gear as we possibly can." That sounds like it's going to be a lot more than just AF gear and a selection of popular glam stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends how you read 'possibly can,' i guess. to me that seems like a timescale thing, not a technical thing.

the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. it wont just be current gear and hoodies, but it also wont be literally everything.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Onean posted:

I mean, that's what I did, and just redid. They said 7.0 and 2.0 will be done first, and they'll close in on the middle expansions over time. I guess that could mean 2.0 will be spread out, but it didn't seem like it to me.

They start dye channel discussion at 2:00:40 and move on at 2:02:30. Kate never brings up ARR or 2.0 specifically in that time. She just says they'll do as much as they can.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Endorph posted:

depends how you read 'possibly can,' i guess. to me that seems like a timescale thing, not a technical thing.

the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. it wont just be current gear and hoodies, but it also wont be literally everything.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but them calling out housing items specifically but not gear makes me think the majority of dyeable equipment will get two channels. They won't be adding dyes to currently non-dyeable gear, but there'll be a very high chance that something that is dyeable will eventually get two channels.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They start dye channel discussion at 2:00:40 and move on at 2:02:30. Kate never brings up ARR or 2.0 specifically in that time. She just says they'll do as much as they can.

Before that, when they first talk about the graphics update after the video, is when they bring up 2.0 gear.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, a completely unrelated and very technical thing, but I want to confirm something about how an EW character is structured internally, and I'm hoping someone can.

How do they implement EW Arenvald's wheelchair? I've had someone tell me that it's actually implemented as a weapon, so internally that's just Arenvald's 'weapon drawn' idle pose. I'm not sure how I'd even go about verifying that, but I'd like to, since I want to understand how they do that particular character.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/4444_zhang/status/1704815966146986209
This was inevitable

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So, a completely unrelated and very technical thing, but I want to confirm something about how an EW character is structured internally, and I'm hoping someone can.

How do they implement EW Arenvald's wheelchair? I've had someone tell me that it's actually implemented as a weapon, so internally that's just Arenvald's 'weapon drawn' idle pose. I'm not sure how I'd even go about verifying that, but I'd like to, since I want to understand how they do that particular character.

Looks like it is, your question made me curious too so I dug around in the listings on Garland Tools and found an instance of Arenvald from the right quests: https://garlandtools.org/db/#npc/1039416
And if you open up TexTools and browse to that weapon it is indeed his wheelchair.

Animation files are above my pay grade though, so if you've got questions about that part you'll have to do some digging yourself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah it is. you can see it in action if you use THIRD PARTY TOOLS.

it makes sense in a way. weapons already have separate idle, walking/running, etc animations for when theyre drawn. just giving him a 'weapon' with its own set of animations for that seems like a pretty clever way of implementing it, and also lets them reuse it if they ever need it for another character, for whatever reason.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Personally I think it's a hint for the next job.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hogama posted:

It probably won't be strictly linear like adding Duty Support was. Doma Castle was one of their preview highlights (to show off the improved metallic gold in the environments), and they said that it'd take some time for all the NPCs to get updated and so to be prepared for (and be understanding of) some dissonance as old models/textures will be in the mix. But any NPCs built strictly on the player system will have immediate improvements, because all the player model/textures are the priority for 7.0.

Beautiful Estinien and dusty Aymeric…

I’m begging that at least one patch is this way.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hellioning posted:

Personally I think it's a hint for the next job.

A melee DPS job that is purely stunting on bosses with a wheelchair would kick rear end, actually

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Endorph posted:

yeah it is. you can see it in action if you use THIRD PARTY TOOLS.

it makes sense in a way. weapons already have separate idle, walking/running, etc animations for when theyre drawn. just giving him a 'weapon' with its own set of animations for that seems like a pretty clever way of implementing it, and also lets them reuse it if they ever need it for another character, for whatever reason.

It's probably also a good choice for both extremes of 'unique animation usage' like that; for someone like Arenvald who doesn't actually turn up for or do very much but still needs that work, it's a pretty solid 'good enough' that works for most simple contexts. On the other extreme you have Raubahn (who's implemented similarly, that side-cape is actually an off-hand), who actually has to do a reasonable share of combat despite the structurally different model, so it makes sense to implement it as a weapon with a bunch of custom animations.

There's probably a middle ground where it makes more sense to implement as a mount, which would allow for more involved and detailed animations for idling and movement but not work for combat, but that's spitballing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there's a lot of gear where adding a second dye channel is as simple as changing a bit in the color table because the gear already has obvious distinct sets of color that could be set as a dye channel. that's probably the gear they target first.

any given piece of gear has up to 16 colors and any of those can be made into a dye channel (or multiple), so if you just think about your existing gear and look at what currently dye sand doesnt dye you'll probably notice some section that would make obvious sense as a second dye channel.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There's a bunch of gear where changing the dye channel modifies other colours on the gear already too, those I imagine will just, decouple the second changing colour from the first dye channel into a second dye channel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And a handful of gear sets where they've had recolors appear that use different dye channels. That's probably somewhere to start too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

the_steve posted:

Honestly, I think I'd have preferred a 5e or Pathfinder cash grab, especially Pathfinder, if only because it'd be easier to slot in and use.

I mean, yeah, gently caress WotC, but I'd definitely have an easier time getting a 5e game going than a new system, and I would kill to be able to play my Roegadude Gunbreaker in a Pathfinder Society game.

Frankly my worry with the TTRPG is that I don't have any faith in an internal S-E team who have probably never made a tabletop game in their life to produce a decent system from scratch, which I'm assuming is the case because while d6s are the standard for japanese tabletop RPGs also adding d20s means this isn't Sword World or something.

Also I'm assuming it won't be sold digitally and the expected place to get it will be the S-E store, and every book will sell out in advance of release ala the EEs.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Onean posted:

The problem with just doing that again for Criterion dungeons is the devs have been deep in getting stuff updated for the graphics update. The 7.0 items don't take any extra time, they don't exist except in the new look, but doing all of ARR so it launches with 7.0? That's a lot of gear, and they're not going to be done until they've also done HW, StB, ShB and EW, which I'm personally expecting to take a 7.X patch each.

They said awhile back that assets from 6.0 onwards were made with the 7.0 graphics update in mind, so updates for EW should be relatively minimal. At one point they also said that gear textures would get updated based on popularity rather than going by expansion in order, but they might have walked that back since then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Frankly my worry with the TTRPG is that I don't have any faith in an internal S-E team who have probably never made a tabletop game in their life to produce a decent system from scratch, which I'm assuming is the case because while d6s are the standard for japanese tabletop RPGs also adding d20s means this isn't Sword World or something.

Also I'm assuming it won't be sold digitally and the expected place to get it will be the S-E store, and every book will sell out in advance of release ala the EEs.

Yeah there's a lot of ways this could go wrong

that said, I did see a stack marker template in there

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

quiggy posted:

A melee DPS job that is purely stunting on bosses with a wheelchair would kick rear end, actually

actually it's going to be wheelchair basketball blitzball

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

:stare:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Please post a followup in another 40 minutes to tell us how a party managed to time out a dungeon instance

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

:dafuq:

“An incredibly stubborn group that absolutely wouldn’t give up on Diabolos but also kept trying to brute force it” is about the only Steps roulette I can see dragging on that long.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dead ends i forgot 90 was in its own roulette

or maybe pharos sirius

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Please post a followup in another 40 minutes to tell us how a party managed to time out a dungeon instance

i've seen it happen, old keeper of the lake would chew people up and spit them out

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The worst dungeon experience I had too about 50 minutes I think, Vanaspati and the healer just couldn't avoid dying to the last boss even with explanations. The boss does enough unavoidable damage that the tank wasn't able to drag the party through.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Itzena posted:

“An incredibly stubborn group that absolutely wouldn’t give up on Diabolos but also kept trying to brute force it” is about the only Steps roulette I can see dragging on that long.

I'm going with "sprout tank doesn't realize they have 100% broken gear in Pharos Sirius" myself.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i'll admit it, i hosed up on a few mechanics in Galatea Magna tonight and wiped the party as a result

my excuse is the last time I healed was when 6.0 was fresh content and i've only ever done the 6.x stuff as DRG

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i managed to die to the last boss of aetherfont recently

in my defense i was staring at my hotbars because i suck at proc jobs and didn't realize the tank was hogging the entire front safe spot for that eye laser + player aoe attack

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I did 6.1-6.4 as a DRG and a couple days ago my FC fell apart due to RL issues and I had to abandon that char, so I returned to my original 6.0 WHM char on Excal in a goon FC and started going through it all again

it just happens that I've never healed those instances and I swear P8S is easier than the 6.3 instances

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/letitmelo/status/1705172717295525892?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

I was joking with some friends about how they probably hired the Lancer guys for the TTRPG, but… the right side of that premade WAR sheet definitely reminds me of Lancer.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I had a castrum abania that went the distance once. I was healing, DPS was bad and tank was super squishy and I just couldn't keep up with the healing. Didn't help that they never killed adds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

please post a follow up, we must know

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Lancer guys can't possibly have the time. There's only two of them and one is making Kill Six Billion Demons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

White Chain crossover glam when, SE?!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

FuturePastNow posted:

please post a follow up, we must know

It was Wanderer's Palace (hard), on the final boss according to the duty details. When I zoned in the tank was dead and the second dps and healer already gone. I waited for a bit and then left as well since it was early morning EU time, it was faster to just requeue.

I have no clue what could have happened there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've seen that boss wreck groups that are either bots or fundamentally unable to play. Sticking in the totem range, or getting the doom gas or whatever is enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there like a general experience for queueing mid-duty? Been wondering if I should turn that on or just leave it off.