Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You should have apple care anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Leather cases arent for impact protection, the grip means you dont drop it and it wont slide off a slick surface

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do Apple Stores in the mall open prior to mall hours on phone launch day? My pick up time is 8am tomorrow, the mall opens at 10am. I'm sure there's going to be a bigass line either way, I don't expect to waltz in at 8 and walk out at 8:05.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Is there anything to the rumor that iOS 17 is slow as hell on 11 pro max phones?

I haven’t been sent the update yet but just thought I’d ask

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do Apple Stores in the mall open prior to mall hours on phone launch day? My pick up time is 8am tomorrow, the mall opens at 10am. I'm sure there's going to be a bigass line either way, I don't expect to waltz in at 8 and walk out at 8:05.

Check the hours for the Apple Store . They probably open early. I know the one I’m going to does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Almost any place selling iPhones will open at 8am local time. So I would bet yes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

njsykora posted:

Though I’ll always hold that the Earpods have always been good, they just suck for walking around with. I have a pair by my bed basically at all times because they’re pretty good bedphones.

Same here, I love them for that. I keep backups in case of emergency

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had no idea what everyone means by bullstrap so I did a google search and it’s actually a case that’s 85 US dollars? Really? Woof.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t that the same risk as shipping it back?

Nope definitely not. By “shipping it back” it implies you have been given a legal item called Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) which is an agreement to pay you money when the item is received by the company. Just refusing an item at delivery that has been ordered does not guarantee any agreement is in place to refund you when it is received back by the shipper. They could choose to contact you about it or not, some companies have a whole bunch of logistics addresses, some of those locations may be set up to process refunds and others not.

For liability reasons though policies differ, for example I think Amazon will automatically process refunds upon refused deliveries.

But that’s a well ackshually sort of answer, yes the risk of package loss is the same in both scenarios, but if it’s an actual return they may be more willing to work with you, or the RMA will automatically include appropriate insurance on the shipping label to cover loss. It just seems like a headache to trust a package heading back to a shipper’s address will be appropriately handled enough to result in a refund to you, idk though.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 22, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Snowy posted:

Same here, I love them for that. I keep backups in case of emergency

I literally have 3 pairs of 3.5mm ones that I've ended up with. The pair I got with my iPod Nano back in 2008 that still work, the pair I got with my 7th gen iPod Touch and a pair that came sealed with a bulk lot of iPods I bought in 2020. Then my Lightning ones from my SE and I'm probably going to get the USB-C ones too because I've found my 3.5mm ones with a USB-C dongle work very nicely with my headphone jackless VR headset.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pay with your credit card and if the seller gives you poo poo dispute the charge as never received.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Taima posted:

I tried two separate times REALLY hard to get them to release without a signature and both times they told me to go gently caress myself

You can totally have a neighbor sign for it though if they are cool with watching for it, usually at least.

In my shipping email, they included a link where I can sign a piece of paper and stick it on the door so UPS can leave it there without me having to be home and physically receive and sign.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

In my shipping email, they included a link where I can sign a piece of paper and stick it on the door so UPS can leave it there without me having to be home and physically receive and sign.

Yeah you can pre-sign for deliveries. I'm not sure what would happen if push came to shove, but it basically absolves Apple and UPS/Fedex of any responsibility if someone steals the package after it gets delivered.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah you can pre-sign for deliveries. I'm not sure what would happen if push came to shove, but it basically absolves Apple and UPS/Fedex of any responsibility if someone steals the package after it gets delivered.

I saw that but there’s no way I’m doing it. I’m in an apartment building. If I can see the truck on the UPS map I’m chasing it down whenever it get close. In NYC they can weave around in crazy delivery patterns, coming close then going right past you. Last iPhone delivery I found the guy a few blocks away and he was happy he didn’t have to make another stop. iPhone day is insane for them he said.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the best case for MagSafe and protection? Is it still Otterbox?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

What’s the best case for MagSafe and protection? Is it still Otterbox?

Otterbox is good yeah. Honestly, just having a case is the big thing, get what you like.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How strict is apple with iPhone pickups on launch day? My window is 5:45-6:15 but I forgot I have a function at 7 and it would be nice if I could possibly get my phone at 5 and hopefully be out of there by 5:30. Haven’t done this before.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

seems like someone forgot to port over all the exploit/bug fixes from the latest 16 release. or they didn't make the cutoff and they had to wait

So 17 had multiple security regressions with previously patched security issues? :ohdear:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have seen them be strict with opening hours pickup windows but I can't imagine they would care that much for afternoon.

As for the 15, I'm unreasonably annoyed that the silent/mute "switch" status is now a permanent fixture in the "titlebar".
Also, the more rounded profile makes it feel more slippery than the 14, although maybe that's just a case of getting used to it.
Transferring Wallet credit cards loving sucks. Would be nice if it at least started "Transferring Data" in the background while adding.

I wonder whether next year you'll be able to transfer from phone to phone via USB-C cable. Should be quicker than the WiFi method.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 22, 2023

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My 15PM is here :dance: home delivered an hour and a half after launch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
iPhone 15, or a "renewed" 13 Pro off Amazon for the same price?

Benefits of 15:
- new soc
- new screen
- new battery
- Apple warranty
- eligible for Apple Care
- fancy power cord
- usb-c
- 2x zoom isn't poo poo now
- better colors
- 2000 nits peak brightness outside

Benefits of used 13 pro
- 3x zoom
- Ultrawide has macro mode
- Roughly same price in Canadian plastibux
- 25% longer claimed streaming video life

I use wireless charging so usb-c isn't a big deal

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 22, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just get the nicest phone. You’re on it more than anything else you own.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Has anyone found that a custom ringtone cannot be set for receiving a text message? I even tried re-exporting it from GarageBand, but it still won’t show up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone found that a custom ringtone cannot be set for receiving a text message? I even tried re-exporting it from GarageBand, but it still won’t show up.
Oh goddamn it I didn't realise this was a thing and I unselected my text tone and now I can't set it back 🤬

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Benefits of 15:
- new soc
- new screen
- new battery
- Apple warranty
- fancy power cord
- usb-c
- better colors

Benefits of used 13 pro
- 3x zoom

Just seconding to get the 15. I wouldn’t trust an Amazon refund to start, and it’s worth the difference for something you use as much as people use it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

As for the 15, I'm unreasonably annoyed that the silent/mute "switch" status is now a permanent fixture in the "titlebar".
Also, the more rounded profile makes it feel more slippery than the 14, although maybe that's just a case of getting used to it.
Ironically, most techtubers seem to prefer the more rounded edges because they thought the previous design was uncomfortable. How quickly they forget the slippery iPhone 6-11.

I find the previous design to be easier to keep ahold of when walking around, but it remains to be seen whether they achieved the right balance this time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TACD posted:

Oh goddamn it I didn't realise this was a thing and I unselected my text tone and now I can't set it back 🤬

Someone finally sent me an iMessage and I think it's a display bug only.
This may or may not be helpful to you, but if you go into Garageband you can export to ringtone and there's an option to set your text message tone directly from that export page.
That worked for me.

~Coxy posted:

I'm unreasonably annoyed that the silent/mute "switch" status is now a permanent fixture in the "titlebar".

Thankfully you can turn this off!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

Someone finally sent me an iMessage and I think it's a display bug only.
This may or may not be helpful to you, but if you go into Garageband you can export to ringtone and there's an option to set your text message tone directly from that export page.
That worked for me.
I've never used GarageBand and I feel 1,000 years old trying to figure out how to force this to just load and convert an audio file instead of trying to set me up with a drum loop from "Kyle".

Amusingly enough it turns out the guy whose tones I purchased years ago was hired by Apple and the "Rebound" tone sounds almost identical to the one I used. But I won't let that stop me being mad as hell and spending the rest of the day figuring out how to beat this stupid thing

E: If anybody else is trying to do the same thing, best method I found was to start a new project on GarageBand for macOS, drag the MP3 or whatever into it, then Share > Project to GarageBand for iOS so the iPhone version can open it (:rolleyes:) and then from iOS GarageBand you can do a long-press on the project to share to a ringtone… whoof. I don't actually know if it worked since my phone is now not sending me notifications when I text myself 🙃 But thanks OP for this workaround!

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 22, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Benefits of 15:
- new soc
- new screen
- new battery
- Apple warranty
- fancy power cord
- usb-c
- better colors

Benefits of used 13 pro
- 3x zoom

Absolutely do not buy a "renewed" phone from Amazon.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
After updating to 17.0.1, the widget screen in standby mode reset to the default widgets for me. Good job Apple.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got phone, box is banged up to poo poo because what's packing material?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
New phone's here. It's stuck on trying to sync/update, that sucks. Fits nicely in the case. But is pretty difficult to get back out, so insert the SIM first, if you don't use eSIM.

Edit: just use the huge camera bump for leverage lol

The action button seems to be OK as a switch - you still get the triple vibrate when setting it silent, so you can still set/confirm it without looking, but it's much slower than flipping the switch twice.

The camera bump is getting ridiculous. I guess it was the same on 14, but the bump is almost as thick as the phone itself. The one on my 11 Pro is tiny in comparison.

And I realize I'm in the minority, but I vastly prefer the 6-11 rounded case to the 4-5 style. The 15 pro seems tolerable, it's definitely better than my iPad.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NFX posted:

New phone's here. It's stuck on trying to sync/update, that sucks. Fits nicely in the case. But is pretty difficult to get back out, so insert the SIM first, if you don't use eSIM.

Edit: just use the huge camera bump for leverage lol

The action button seems to be OK as a switch - you still get the triple vibrate when setting it silent, so you can still set/confirm it without looking, but it's much slower than flipping the switch twice.

The camera bump is getting ridiculous. I guess it was the same on 14, but the bump is almost as thick as the phone itself. The one on my 11 Pro is tiny in comparison.

And I realize I'm in the minority, but I vastly prefer the 6-11 rounded case to the 4-5 style. The 15 pro seems tolerable, it's definitely better than my iPad.

is apple designing the phone with a huge rear end camera bump just based on the assumption that most people will get a case, thus having the camera glass align flat in its cutout to the case?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Is there anything to the rumor that iOS 17 is slow as hell on 11 pro max phones?

I haven’t been sent the update yet but just thought I’d ask

Wife installed it on her 11 Pro Max, she hasn't noticed anything but "eats battery faster" (which could be indexing and stuff).

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

is apple designing the phone with a huge rear end camera bump just based on the assumption that most people will get a case, thus having the camera glass align flat in its cutout to the case?

The case has its own bump!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I immediately set the action button to the torch, no more accidentally taking the phone off silent. Also immediately started up Honkai Star Rail and yep that'll run maxed out at 120fps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pmchem posted:

Most cases have a camera rim and don't actually go flat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pmchem posted:

They literally can’t fit the big lenses required into the case design. That’s pretty much it.

There’s no good solution to this problem

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
just make the phones thicker, bring back external storage and headphone jacks

then youre primed for 2027 EU laws requiring removable batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
New phone good
I got Apple's clear plastic case for it and the buttons are still a bit stiff but they'll loosen up over time
The titanium is pretty, a nice change of pace after nothing but black phones for years