Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

You're a legend, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Virgil Vox posted:

try Mixx an open source/free program: https://mixxx.org/ . Pretty much anything is gonna have the waveforms and effects now-a-days but there may be view options to hide those.

Appreciate it. I'll check it out. Also I meant no waveform as in "I don't care about frills", it wasn't a strict requirement.
e: Thanks again - this is precisely what I was looking for. :discourse:

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 9, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

RIP 2 a legend:
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1688824887836889088?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I want to start recording some of my practice mixes to see how they sound outside of the headphones. I don't really have room for a laptop near my decks, and I don't love the idea of stringing a cable across the room. Is something like one of those small Zoom recorders a terrible idea?

Alternately I could probably use my iPad. I don't think my 900NXS will let me USB directly to my iPad but I suppose I could do line in with an adapter. I like the idea of the small recorder more but I'm not opposed to a cheaper solution either.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2023

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

tascam dr-05 is a nice small portable recorder with an 1/8" input and decent built in stereo microphone for room/field recording. easy to leave plugged in and hit record whenever you need. the newer version dr-05x turns on faster (like 3 seconds vs 6 for older model i think, nice when you need to catch a sound quickly) and screen is blue instead of orange but i think those are the only differences.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Get an irig and record to your phone

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Oldstench posted:

So, all I want is some software that will allow me to pitch digital files in any format (realistically only wav, flac, and mp3), nudge them, and maybe set one queue point, and mix between two tracks. I don't need an analysis or time-stretching or grid or effects or even a visual representation of the wave. I just need something that acts like two turntables without having to use a controller. Is there a, preferably free, software option that will let me do this? I just really don't feel like getting my other turntable out of the closet and shlepping all my records up into the limited space I have available just to do some mixing for fun.

Not sure about free…

Mixmeister comes to mind, honestly I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for (it’s not really clear to me…). It’s like $300 or more and abandonware though

Edit: wow I was days behind. Never mind. You got what you wanted!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

tascam dr-05 is a nice small portable recorder with an 1/8" input and decent built in stereo microphone for room/field recording. easy to leave plugged in and hit record whenever you need. the newer version dr-05x turns on faster (like 3 seconds vs 6 for older model i think, nice when you need to catch a sound quickly) and screen is blue instead of orange but i think those are the only differences.

I had some amazon credits I forgot about so I bought this maybe an hour before you replied but glad to hear I was on the right track:

Opted for the DR-40X four-track version to help my buddy record his upcoming live set plus audience. He's all "yeah I can re-create the set from Ableton, I just want some audience reaction", but why bother recreating if we can just get mixer out :)

e: Here's a new thing that's driving me bananas. I mentioned that a lot of prog house sounds very same-y lately, which is kind of unfair on my part and probably just because I'm clicking on random tracks in a small sample size, but -- BUT -- there's this one sound or effect a TON of them use that drives me up the wall.

It's like some kind of dark stuttering crunchy/glitchy bass-y fart (yes, my headphones are on, it's not me). I thought it was neat when I first heard it but now I hear it in like every fifth track I randomly preview.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 19, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a rekordbox question that I really should know the answer to already but I don't:

So I just got a new laptop. It's primarily for photo editing on-the-go, but I also want to do some mobile music and DJ stuff with it.

I've got an external volume that carries my entire Rekordbox library. It's NOT my actual library database (that lives on an SSD inside my desktop computer) but as a manner of procedure when I import new music, all of it goes on this drive as well, as something of a backup. It works in some Pioneer units, but not in others, which is fine (I have sticks that I keep current as well).

What I'm wondering is if there's a way I can make this drive recognized by Rekordbox on my laptop as a database, without screwing things up next time I connect it to my desktop. I'd love to be able to plug it into the laptop and have access to my new music and make playlists and push them to smaller thumb drives while I'm mobile, but I'm worried that telling Rekordbox on the laptop to use it as a DB will gently caress things up, or that it will make importing new music more convoluted in some way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rekordbox content management has puzzled me while I try to work out a sensible "backup" system and keep my database consistent across two laptops. My instinct based on what I've seen SO FAR is that no, you probably won't be able to do this in anything resembling a convenient way. You can probably just copy the rekordbox db xml to your external but all the references to music will have hardcoded pathing so you have to choose to keep everything internal or everything external.

I have two Mac laptops, a newer one that I use on the reg and an older i7 MBP one I relegated to rekordbox and DJ stuff. I do all my music sourcing on the new laptop, all my media is unpacked into /Users/me/PioneerDJ/Media, then I have my Synology drive sync keep that folder consistent between my two laptops and a folder on my NAS, so technically I have three copies of my audio everywhere (both laptops and NAS). '

When I make an update to my library such as importing songs I *think* I could *technically* get away with just syncing the actual DB files too, but on the off chance that I clobber something my workflow is typically to do a "File->Library->Backup Library" on my good laptop and just "File->Library->Restore Library" on the rekordbox laptop.

I really only use the old laptop for pro link so I can skip making USB sticks for now -- I guess technically every time I restore the library I probably lose my CDJ histories but it hasn't been an issue so far.

Maybe one day I'll try to just sync the actual database files without doing the backup/restore thing, but I'm always skeeved out that I'll leave rekordbox open on one laptop while I make changes on the other by accident or something.

Really they don't make this easy.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I thought you could export the library but not the files and then relocate the missing files after importing the library into the second computer?

This means moving the files themselves manually, but maintains your folder structure as opposed to exporting to a USB stick and importing into the second computer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Depending on the OS (well, technically I'm sure they can all do this with some add-on) you could probably just have it auto-sync the files when you insert the USB drive keying off of a volume name or something, the rest is just fiddly import/export.

IDK how easy this would be on Engine but Pioneer makes us work for it :|

Thankfully I killed my ZipDJ membership and now Beatport's tiny price hike putting tracks JUST out of impulse buy territory means I'm chilling the gently caress out with "building" my library (read: buying/downloading random tracks) so the only time I really need to sync libraries is if I modify cuepoints.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 22, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I've seen a couple DJ sets using PT-1210 for Amiga. But I am not in posession of any Amigas.
How can I play back tracker files in a DJ like environment on a modern computer?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want to just use the computer as a sound source into a mixer then there are any number of os-native MOD (or whatever format you end up finding) players you can grab.

If you want to try to be authentic minus the hardware then WinUAE (or any flavour of UAE for your native OS) will emulate the Amiga well enough to pass these days, I’d bet, and you probably don’t need cycle accuracy just for triggering internal sample playback. At which point PT-120 would probably work since that’s what you’re looking to achieve.

For my money I’d probably look to skip the complexity (unless the act of playing it in a “native” environment is part of your show) entirely and either find a converter app or capture the audio from a native player, to render it down to an MP3 to use in rekordbox/etc/etc. I’m interpreting this as not being in the “spirit” of what you want to do, but if you just want to play a MOD file for an audience this is probably the most predictable/reliable way to do it — to just render it out into a simple audio file same as any other.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 24, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think most of the dj softwares can show waveforms vertically, so you could do that and pretend its a tracker

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've seen a dj who uses two polyend trackers hooked up to a mixer

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I've seen a couple DJ sets using PT-1210 for Amiga. But I am not in posession of any Amigas.
How can I play back tracker files in a DJ like environment on a modern computer?

Renoise works, it can play back Amiga MOD files ezpz, can also go the WinUAE route. Here is the .mod from the De Profundis demo running 1:1 in Renoise. Sometimes there might be some minor inaccuracies, but for the most part it's consistent.

Question for any vinyl DJs: for DJing purposes, I've been a Shure diehard for quite some time, but after my replacement stylus has broken yet again, I think I'm gucci to switch over to Concordes. I can get a good deal and discount on any of the V2s, anyone have experience with the Club? That's the one I want to get, just heard it has a tendency for the stylus to gently caress up fast. I mix only by riding the pitch and don't do any scratching or a lot of backcuing, wondering if it's worth considering the Scratch one as well though. For the Elite - I have an audiophile cart already, so pass on that.

Mike Cartwright fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 10, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beatport please for the love of gently caress fix your pagination

And the abomination that is the date picker for the release-date filter. Why spend ten seconds typing a date when you can spend a minute and a half clumsily clicking through calendars.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The event that I'm playing tomorrow night has a Zone:92 mixer. I'm embarrassed to say that it's either been a VERY LONG time since I've touched anything but Pioneer, or maybe never at all. I honestly can't remember. I'm looking at some pictures of the mixer layout and I should be fine on that - I'm actually really excited to use the 4-band EQ since that's pretty much where I live when I'm spinning - but I was wondering if anyone ITT has any pointers for someone who's used to using a DJM900, to adapt to a Xone. For one, I know the faders are longer and have a different curve and don't exactly 'like' to be at full-scale like a DJM; they're more like console faders with unity about a fifth from the top. Can I still throw them around like I do those on my DJM, if the gain is appropriately staged? Thanks!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 13, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wow OK, those Xone mixers are loving confusing. The four-band EQ is really nice and I suppose the audio quality is a mote bit better than a DJM900, but the filter and cue sections are designed so counter-intuitively I wonder if they did it that way just to be contrarian and archaic. The cue/master knob doesn't let you hear 100% master through the headphones unless none of the track cue buttons are lit, even if the knob is all the way to the right you're still hearing more of your cue in the cans than the master. The filters require you to assign a track to them, press a button to turn them on and rotate a knob to sweep them, which makes sense that they're simple analog circuits but I'll take the center-detented LPF/HPF combo on my 900 over that any day, because all day I was forgetting to turn filters off. I could probably get used to it but it's a lot of hand movements for a simple HPF mix-out.

Those EQs are really cool though, and of course I loving smashed it regardless of the gear in front of me. Hell, both CDJ900s were missing their track select knobs.

Cold with the flow yeah I wrote this one on an old iPhone with a broken screen
Think you’re gonna try test man with a verse like that, you’re a loving aubergine

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
The master/cue system is on purpose, but some 92s have issues with the cue and bleed, I've had an issue at a club where turning cue all the way to the right would blast out master and cue at the same volume, a bit weird. So could be a mixer issue. I really like 92s.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What is the hardcore referred to by 909 Worldwide etc? It's not quite happy hardcore. Reference track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7EHQVzZlc

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

What is the hardcore referred to by 909 Worldwide etc? It's not quite happy hardcore. Reference track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7EHQVzZlc

To be honest that just sounds like nightcore you can find on odd YouTube vids with anime girls on them. Happy hardcore sounds something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSIXapIQJYA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hardcore is like metal in that there’s one million sub-genres and they’re extremely regional.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

qirex posted:

Hardcore is like metal in that there’s one million sub-genres and they’re extremely regional.

True, you've got the early European stuff from Belgians, pre-hardcore I'd say. :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyDlngOekQ

Then the Dutch guys/Rotterdam doing their stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQ8nGjEEwo

Then you got Lenny Dee with Industrial Strength stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvBypzYKo8Y

And the UK.. I mean, there's regional divisions within early UK hardcore too, but I guess this is a typical track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9kPTdk4q0

Yeah, you're right, I don't want to go further. Hardcore has many facets. >:)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah 'hardcore' means so many different things to so many different people. There are some unifying factors; I think it's always got to be a pretty uptempo and aggressive moniker. Some Prodigy tunes I'd consider 'hardcore', even though almost their entire discography lives in my DJ library as 'breaks'. Y'all know my philosophy on subgenres: Call it what you want as long as you know what it sounds like. I know what kind of sounds I'm gonna hear when I browse through my 'jungle' or 'neurofunk' plists.

There's a lot of D&B now that's got four-on-the-floor kicks, and I guess that'd be considered part of modern hardcore. I dig it, it's fun for a little break in a sea of KICK-SNARE--KICKSNARE.

In unrelated news (xpost from the Camera Gear Thread), I just got a new toy that hopefully will enhance the lighting situation in my next OPS mixes (or whatever I'm going to do with the sequencers and synths, going to buckle down on that soon).

NEEWER BH-30S 'Light Wand'. It's an RGB light stick you can hold in your hand or mount on a tripod. I'm excited to use it at events as a photographer, because it's an interesting way of getting a key light without using my flash.BUT, I'm also looking into getting another SmallRig articulating arm (the spare one I have is busted, ball joint came right out) so I can mount the light to my DJ desk since my mix videos tend to be quite dark.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I 100% thought that was a joke photoshop until I read what it was.

That's really badass!

I snagged a deal on the rekordbox DMX controller a while ago on a whim, but I've been too busy actually collecting music and learning mixing to do anything with it yet. I know rekordbox lighting is super lovely but I feel like I want to get a cheap DMX aliexpress spider head lights just for fun and throw it on the wall shelf behind me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 21, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

titty_baby_ posted:

I've seen a dj who uses two polyend trackers hooked up to a mixer
You maybe mean isobutane?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PVvLyi2Svk

it's a sweet setup generally, here's a jungle set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaOMp3Nimiw

If, instead of one tracker, I had been able to get 2 and a nice mixer, I might not have returned it :rolleye:

Mister Speaker posted:

NEEWER BH-30S 'Light Wand'. It's an RGB light stick you can hold in your hand or mount on a tripod. I'm excited to use it at events as a photographer, because it's an interesting way of getting a key light without using my flash.BUT, I'm also looking into getting another SmallRig articulating arm (the spare one I have is busted, ball joint came right out) so I can mount the light to my DJ desk since my mix videos tend to be quite dark.

uh I think I need this and I am not a photographer.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Nah, it was m27.
https://polyend.com/whats-up/scene-m27-jungle-minimix-2022/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if something like https://github.com/keefo/NeewerLite could be used to bridge that light to DMX :monocle:

---

Taking stock of where I am, and I think my big thing to work on now is getting a better grasp of phrasing.

I think that my technical mixing is probably passable at this point, I'm still not amazing by any stretch, but if I look back at what my most jarring transitions are they tend to be because I didn't match up phrases correctly, like I came in on third bar of a four bar phrase and I'm clasing a breakdown with an extra bar of 4/4 or something.

Looking back at it, I think it's because I'm prepping too close to the intended mix out and momentarily losing track of where I am in the main track.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 22, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Just keep counting (1,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 3,2,3,4 etc) and eventually you’ll know where you are in the 8 bar phrase without really trying

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Yeah just practice practice practice. I started off over a decade ago messing around on a controller and after moving to super lovely knockoff cdjs with no real analysis phrasing sort of unconsciously clicked after a bit. Moving to vinyl then really reinforced that.

You can sort of force phrasing too with certain songs/ fx. As long as something is noticeably changing in the first song when the second comes in it usually works

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What I found really helped me to get in the groove/feeling of phrasing and all that jazz was to do insane vocalization of the music a la Glenn Gould (timestamp in the video). DJing is great because it's all about feeling - do whatever works to get you REALLY into what you're playing and your brain will help you fill in the gaps. Never, ever do this when playing out, unless your DJ persona is "savant"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZ-xNjzfLI&t=130s

e: Idk how best to put it into words, but you can also think of phrasing as eliminating where you aren't. You probably already implicitly understand where the "one" is in a phrase. An easy next step is to find the "five" and internalize the timing/sound/feel of that part of the phrase. Once you've done that, you can work on the 3 and the 7, then to the rest etc. Use the chunking power of your brain to break up each phrase into constituent parts.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

abuse culture. posted:

unless your DJ persona is "savant"

one of my friends opened for savant some years back when he played here. I met him in the green room and he was a huge tool lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

hark posted:

one of my friends opened for savant some years back when he played here. I met him in the green room and he was a huge tool lol

With a name like that I'd expect as much. I know he's a brilliant producer but ive never liked any of his stuff lol

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
you can also abuse the hell out of the beatjump feature to force fix your phrasing. this is what keeps me stuck to traktor!!! 2000NXS only have up to 2 bar beatjumps!!!!! What is this, 2015?!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

abuse culture. posted:

you can also abuse the hell out of the beatjump feature to force fix your phrasing. this is what keeps me stuck to traktor!!! 2000NXS only have up to 2 bar beatjumps!!!!! What is this, 2015?!

My friends who taught me how to DJ all used S4s and had no idea how to actually phrase because they'd just use beat jump and loops to fix everything lol. Every transition just happens whenever they feel like it with ever tightening loops and tons of fx. I felt crazy trying to do a b2b with them after developing my own senses

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tips tips tips, thanks everyone.

The other thing I'm forcing myself to do is to prep my mix a few bars ahead and just tap cue in time until I'm ready to actually start my beatmatch. I think this helps me get re-focused on the playing track so I'm more comfortable knowing I'm holding cue and smacking play on beat 1 rather than beat 2 or 3 out of ... panic? is that the right word? disorientation?

Basically trying to make it more natural and just feel the groove of the playing track then smack cue naturally rather than being tense and going "uhhh hnnnnng NOW!!" where I THINK I should be starting.

Maybe the lesson here is that I should take a chill pill.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

some kinda jackal posted:

Tips tips tips, thanks everyone.

The other thing I'm forcing myself to do is to prep my mix a few bars ahead and just tap cue in time until I'm ready to actually start my beatmatch. I think this helps me get re-focused on the playing track so I'm more comfortable knowing I'm holding cue and smacking play on beat 1 rather than beat 2 or 3 out of ... panic? is that the right word? disorientation?

Basically trying to make it more natural and just feel the groove of the playing track then smack cue naturally rather than being tense and going "uhhh hnnnnng NOW!!" where I THINK I should be starting.

Maybe the lesson here is that I should take a chill pill.

Hitting cue on beat a couple of times before you hit play to feel the tempo out is extremely common, you will see DJs doing it all the time if you pay attention.

Feeling the beginning of a phrase should come more and more naturally as you practice and listen to music and make it a subconscious thing rather than conscious. It's not even about counting beats constantly, you should be getting a feel for what the beginning of each phrase sounds like and how far off it is just by listening to where you are in the songs current phase.

You're definitely overthinking it, but overthinking it until it comes naturally is definitely better than not putting any thought into it and correcting it by beat jumping, spinbacks, waiting till breakdowns to mix out regardless of phrase position, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I looked up how to do a spinback and tried it and then immediately said "ok maybe let's not worry about trying to learn this right now" :stonk:

I'm not sure how I made something that simple sound that bad. It was impressive, actually.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 22, 2023