Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What is wrong with Lucy? It can't be an act, but I don't know how anyone can be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What is wrong with Lucy? It can't be an act, but I don't know how anyone can be like that.

Not having seen the new show yet, I'm just going to guess it's the side-effect of being married to Jon Richardson.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Trabant posted:

Not having seen the new show yet, I'm just going to guess it's the side-effect of being married to Jon Richardson.

Or, possibly, a prerequisite.

I loved the team of two's chemistry, immediately fun to watch.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Are you a child of divorce?

What an opening episode. Great chaotic energy. Poor Lucy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cloudchamber posted:

Netflix gets rid of all the stuff announcing the adverts and it makes the show feel way more watchable to me. What do you think gets lost by removing them?

I mean....

Need I say more?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

2 fully deranged contestants bodes well for the series.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Just sitting here watching my favorite show shouting "Stab the duck!" Gonna be a good, weird series.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The first task is so perfect: a twist where two people do as well as you would expect, two solve it, and one fails spectacularly.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Its nice to get back to a Taskmaster thats not so overly reliant on improv creative type tasks like what NZ has turned into.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trabant posted:

Also, Hull.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Amazing episode. I love it. Every contestant seems interesting and the tasks were fun and like... actual tasks.

I especially loved the studio banter. Greg is just a loving superstar at this and the contestants and Alex were on point too.

Definitely agree this is the best first episode I can recall. If it keeps up the energy we're easily on our way to the best season IMO.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That was unbelievable. Best show in the world all categories all platforms

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I think Lucy's "what do you mean you can do things other than exactly what is written" is going to pay off

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

vanity slug posted:

This killed me.

Such a great, fun episode. Everyone seems incredible in their own unique way. It doesn’t feel like there will be a single dud cast member.

This episode has also reaffirmed how much I loving hate Jermey. Greg is so incredible in the roll, and it just highlights the suck.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

That's like a top five prize task, just banger after banger (and a wind chime).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Complete_Cynic posted:

That's like a top five prize task, just banger after banger (and a wind chime).

God I love Susan :3:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
sam did not disappoint

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

As I expected/feared, not going to be available in my country. Hopefully the easy NA access doesn't stop people from uploading it to other sites as before.

My friend, let me tell you about https://redirect.invidious.io/ Pick an instance that's in a country where a video is not blocked and you'll be able to watch anything!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Beens posted:

I think Lucy's "what do you mean you can do things other than exactly what is written" is going to pay off

I honestly expected some really out there solutions from her, but the fact that she was probably trying to do every single task strictly following the rules is going to make it more entertaining. I also hope to see great things from Sam.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

vanity slug posted:

Greg saying "you can ask me one" and Sam coming up with that... what a masterstroke.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Paladinus posted:

I honestly expected some really out there solutions from her, but the fact that she was probably trying to do every single task strictly following the rules is going to make it more entertaining.
I have no idea how much of her is an act and how much is real (you don't have to follow the task literally?). She wouldn't be the first contestant to not research the show, but she's also the first contestant married to a former tasker so I can't believe she hasn't fully discussed the show with Jon.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 22, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This episode has also reaffirmed how much I loving hate Jermey. Greg is so incredible in the roll, and it just highlights the suck.

I don't hate him, but boy is he dead weight on that show that only works because Paul Williams and the contestants pick up his slack so spectacularly. Studio banter is the best and Greg is just the best at it. Going straight from the NZ to UK one really does highlight the gulf.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I can't decide if the can tower task was Alex's favorite task of all time, a general loosening of the persona, or because they were blindfolded and he was in the shot more often, but he was just chuckling like a madman the whole time. Glad to see he still enjoys the show 16+ seasons on.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Very strong start to the season. Sam has stong Acaster energy, and Lucy just seems like she is weird as gently caress.

I wonder how they would've scored the can task if someone spent all 5 minutes looking for a blindfold and never opening the can. Would they have received credit for the in tact tower already built? I think Sam added one can to the top and everyone else knocked cans down.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Irisi posted:

Sue Perkins taking every opportunity to swear at Alex was a highlight, always been a fan of Sue's brand of exasperated swearing.

"You absolute shower of poo poo" is my new favourite insult :allears:

Everyone spending their time ITT whinging about TMNZ is a miserable poo poo giblet

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Slyphic posted:

I can't decide if the can tower task was Alex's favorite task of all time, a general loosening of the persona, or because they were blindfolded and he was in the shot more often, but he was just chuckling like a madman the whole time. Glad to see he still enjoys the show 16+ seasons on.

having been to a few tapings he tends to laugh a shitload in the studio

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

nerox posted:

Very strong start to the season. Sam has stong Acaster energy, and Lucy just seems like she is weird as gently caress.

I wonder how they would've scored the can task if someone spent all 5 minutes looking for a blindfold and never opening the can. Would they have received credit for the in tact tower already built? I think Sam added one can to the top and everyone else knocked cans down.

I'd argue as they said you had to "make" a tower they had to alter the existing tower in some way for it to count

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

"You absolute shower of poo poo" is my new favourite insult :allears:

Everyone spending their time ITT whinging about TMNZ is a miserable poo poo giblet
I'm honestly kind of hoping Sue keeps up the Alex abuse.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Quietly excited about the season hook - who will find the secret task? There was of course the previous example in NZ Season 3, but I think Alex will take the premise in a slightly different direction.

Lots of really fun stuff in the studio - "m-orgy" from Perkins, and loads of stuff from Sam, the bit with the divers, child of divorce, guessing the scales would balance.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm honestly kind of hoping Sue keeps up the Alex abuse.

im liking the diversity of Alex abuse between Sue just finding more shitsults and Julian going maximum aging homosexual

This cast seems to be, and I do not use this word lightly anymore, absolutely insane

I love them

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The team of 3 meeting for the first time is absolutely the top of any team meet ever.

This is the first season I’ve fallen in love with the whole cast EP 1.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The team of 3 meeting for the first time is absolutely the top of any team meet ever.

This is the first season I’ve fallen in love with the whole cast EP 1.

I don't think any of them recognised eachother, and it was glorious.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think any of them recognised eachother, and it was glorious.

None of them recognised each other, and none of them wanted to give that fact away by asking each other's names. Just amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The idea that Lucy doesn't know who Julian Clary is is a bit much to take.

Also do they not find out who they are on with until then?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thehustler posted:

Most people's mental picture of Julian Clary is probably (a) from the 80s/90s and (2) wearing a lot more makeup.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Wow so yeah to echo everyone else, phenomenal first episode! So strong, I did not know any of these people except Sue Perkins and I love them all already. Julian especially seems way out of his element. Lucy seems absolutely bonkers in the best way possible.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

I'd argue as they said you had to "make" a tower they had to alter the existing tower in some way for it to count

Agreed. Similar to how a sculptor can make a sculpture of an elephant by taking a block of marble and removing everything that's not an elephant, the contestants were allowed to take a large tower of cans and remove everything that wasn't a small tower of cans.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

thehustler posted:

I'm sure that in most previous series they have have at least told them who the other members of their cast are. They'd often be asked during or after the tasks what they thought their competitors might have done. But knowing who they are in the abstract is different to being unexpectedly confronted with them. I also wondered if Sam decided to just act unimpressed as a joke - wouldn't put it past him...

Fun quotes on rewatching the intro
"I trained at RADA!"
"What have I created ?!?"
"How we laughed..."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Excellent cast -- including a couple of complete lunatics -- imaginative tasks, great banter. Best show on... uh, TV and TV-like services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

oh my God this was the strongest opener for a season I've seen in years