Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

It's almost Octoberpath for you...

I started today, gotta get this girl's memory back... :dogcited:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m pretty sure I’m on the last mission/boss of Armored Core 6 NG++ and this game is just unreal. Came out of left field for me, although I knew

It was so good, such a fun/funny reveal. The last boss is whiney players who got filtered. Would be more on the noise if it was wheels with double gatlings and zimmermans.

In reality though it was a great choice and fit well with the story. The biggest, most annoying little douche who actually nearly beat everyone through sheer will power (of salt)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My man :D

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Escobarbarian posted:

I am on chapter 3 in Armoured Core NG++ and the “destroy all the escaping helicopters” mission stopped me dead in my tracks. The very final part of it is just awful!!!!
See, I love missions like these that change things up further than normal and force you to adapt your build, feels like a really satisfying puzzle. I absolutely adore the mech customization and painting and stuff and probably spent nearly half my playtime doing that.

But I also never really stuck to one build through all my three runs through the game even if I fell back on some of the more broken stuff sometimes. Every time I unlocked new stuff I wanted to try it out. Reminds me of my Elden Ring playthrough where I constantly kept trying new weapons

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No mercy, only pain

Escobarbarian posted:

FF16 is two spots too high on this list

Honestly I wouldn't even put ff16 on my top games this year at this point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

...! posted:

:confused:

I platted it easily. What exact trophies did you have a problem with?

Gotta say that while that Trails of Cold Steel III/IV box set looks really cool, I don't understand why they're making a PS5 port. You could almost run those games on a PS3. They don't exactly push the PS4 to its limits. Since the PS5 can run PS4 games, this port seems extremely pointless.

The Trails series are great JRPGs, though, and I highly recommend playing the PS4 versions, which are obviously available on the PSN store. They go on sale pretty often, too. Just keep in mind that there are seven of them on PS4 and they're all really long even by JRPG standards, so playing all of them will be a huge time commitment.

If you decide to try out the series, I recommend playing them in chronological order; plot events in the later games assume that you've played through the previous games and are very familiar with the plot of those games as well as the major events that occurred.

Plot chronological order is:

Trails from Zero
Trails to Azure
Trails of Cold Steel
Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III
Trails of Cold Steel IV
Trails into Reverie

When I asked what order I should play these in, someone said this order:

Cold Steel 1
Cold Steel 2
Trails From Zero
Trails to Azure
Cold Steel 3
Cold Steel 4
Reverie

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cold steel 1 and 2 take place concurrently with zero/azure but from different sides of a conflict so you can play either duo before the other, tho zero/azure were released before any of the cold steel games

Or so I've been told. I've only played cold steel 1 so far:)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

No mercy, only pain

THESE HANDS :black101:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenNight posted:

When I asked what order I should play these in, someone said this order:

Cold Steel 1
Cold Steel 2
Trails From Zero
Trails to Azure
Cold Steel 3
Cold Steel 4
Reverie

Release order is the intended order and there's not really any reason to play them in this order now they're all available in English.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sakurazuka posted:

Release order is the intended order and there's not really any reason to play them in this order now they're all available in English.

Awesome, will update my notes. Between this and the Yakuza series, sheesh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what happens when a long running series goes from sporadically translated to a mainstay lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They just need to release the Trails in the Sky series on PSN already.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really need to continue my Yakuza journey.

0 is a GOAT.
1 Kiwami was excellent.
2 Kiwami I started. Got 3-7 thanks to PSPlus and sales. Plus I will now play LAD because I am a turn based convert.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Cold Steel 1 and 2 seem to go on sale more often and for cheaper which is what made my decision to play then first lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only Trails gave I've played is Trails in the Sky on the PSP but now I own all of the ones available for PS4/5 christ my life.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

VG posted:

0 is a GOAT.
1 Kiwami was excellent.
2 Kiwami I started. Got 3-7 thanks to PSPlus and sales. Plus I will now play LAD because I am a turn based convert.

I caught up and finished LAD recently and it's super good. The whole series is goated, you're going to love it!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

Cold Steel 1 and 2 seem to go on sale more often and for cheaper which is what made my decision to play then first lol

Yeah that's a good reason lol

Not really against CS1&2 first, I just wouldn't have done it if I'd had the option at the time.

There's a whole ending sequence in CS2 that loses a lot of impact if you've no idea who these people are and a major woah moment if you do.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

fridge corn posted:

I started with Cold Steel and it was fine. Yeah there was some confusion when the characters from other games showed up and talked about events in those games but it was minimal and knowing “hey these are the protagonists from other trails games” was enough to have fun with it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

VG posted:

0 is a GOAT.
1 Kiwami was excellent.

I finished Kiwami 1 a week ago and felt it was a big step down from Y0 after the initial thrill of seeing these characters I came to care about again. I’m hoping I have a better time with Kiwami 2, the better game engine makes it look good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I keep telling myself that I'm going to finish Kiwami 2 and Judgement, but these games, they keep coming and they don't stop coming

Edit: And I started a playthrough of No Man's Sky just to check out what the VR2 upgrade is like, since the last time I played it was when the game was first released, and whoops now I'm doing a full playthrough of this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I keep telling myself that I'm going to finish Kiwami 2 and Judgement, but these games, they keep coming and they don't stop coming

Edit: And I started a playthrough of No Man's Sky just to check out what the VR2 upgrade is like, since the last time I played it was when the game was first released, and whoops now I'm doing a full playthrough of this

Basically me with Cyberpunk 2.0 and the new expansion.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cyberpunk 2.0 is playing a lot better on PS5 compared to my launch ps4 experience lol...

I guess I do have to play at 1800p without RT though, i tried the quality mode and it did not feel great

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Rt feels good, even better once you fix the controls.

Game looks weird without it. Has that control problem of checkerbox shadow trails that look like poo poo cos it was made with rt in mind

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I am on chapter 3 in Armoured Core NG++ and the “destroy all the escaping helicopters” mission stopped me dead in my tracks. The very final part of it is just awful!!!!

Been a month so I forget weapon names, but I think it was the plasma rifle (?) that has really long range takes down each helicopter in a single shot. Just have that plus a mech with good vertical boost so you can swap between the upper and lower levels. Makes it easy to hit all of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugblatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6upgZB_yqrM

Iron Pineapple is one of the most articulate reviewers when it comes to describing mechanics and design. He tends to have a solid understanding of what makes action games work on a nuts and bolts level and I always like hearing his thoughts. Mostly because he puts a lot of consideration into them and expresses them well, but also partly because they often align with my own. In this case, his take is an almost exact reflection of mine.

I know most of this thread has already taken a hard stance on the game and I risk drawing out vitriol by bringing it up. So I'll keep most of my further thoughts in the relevant thread, but if anyone is on the fence, this video will probably give you a clear idea on if you'd like it. I'm near the end and it's firmly among my favorites of the year. If I ranked Souls games it would be in the mix among From's titles.

Just a warning that as someone who's about halfway through the game, this video is IMO a bit spoilery and shows a lot of things that are intended to be surprises like boss second phases. Good commentary and thoughts though

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think it's mostly stuff that was also in official promos... but yeah if you want to go in blind, just listen with the video in another tab.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PlushCow posted:

I finished Kiwami 1 a week ago and felt it was a big step down from Y0 after the initial thrill of seeing these characters I came to care about again. I’m hoping I have a better time with Kiwami 2, the better game engine makes it look good

Kiwami 2 is about as much of a step up as Kiwami was a step down.

Then after that, Yakuza 3 is both, at the same time.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

PlushCow posted:

yeah but considering 0 was made, what 11 or so years after 1 where they learnt how to tell a story better, cant be helped but the additions were cool and still up there imo. 2 is great but theres a bit of a memey thing with the plot which isnt too good (being vague here) but still music in that kicks rear end and its all good in the grand scheme of things. written by a big japanese crime novelist or screenwriter i think. 3 is has a different vibe going for it, it owns but that first half can gently caress with people lol. (its the best bit :colbert: ) honestly 4 is the weak link imo. 5 owns but is holy poo poo insanely big and 6 and 7 are up there with 0. so is judgment. depending what mood im in so its lost judgment.

fucl i want gaiden and 8 so bad rn

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kiwami 2 still lacks the mountain of sidequest and mini game content from Y0, but the shiny new engine makes that easier to accept. I definitely enjoyed it more than Kiwami 1.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

And 1 and 2 together take less time to beat than 0.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GreenNight posted:

And 1 and 2 together take less time to beat than 0.

Mainly because if you don't finish the real estate and cabernet games you didn't finish 0.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Returnal is very good but I'm on the second biome (desert) and feeling that I'm not progressing enough like, there's a traversal tool/upgrade I should find there that will also open paths on the first biome but can't find it.

You get the traversal tool after defeating the desert level boss.

I found that unlocking weapon perks was a big help in the early game, stick with a gun untill you unlock a new perk, that can be the difference between a lame weapon and a room-clearing WMD.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah keep in mind that some of the weapons are very bad without specific perks and very good with them. Like the shotgun’s base effective range is rear end but you can unlock barrel choke and slug options that make it very strong (and a wide spread option that makes it even worse for some reason)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Early game try to stick with the machine gun - esp if you get the stronger but slower bullets. Shotgun is okay but will eventually lose out as you do not wanna be close to these things. Sometimes keeping your lower level weapon is fine as long as you can kill so you aren't using a brand new but weak weapon. Later on I found the purple gun to be god tier - I beat the game with it easier than anything else.

But yeah, the side effect to this is you have to unlock perks to make things even better. Keep at it though - the game is worth it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m playing cyberpunk on 2.0 and every time I open a door I get dragged sideways 10/10 no notes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

I played a bunch of Frontier Defence rounds yesterday and yeah. Titanfall 2 is still on my top 5 FPS of all time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The Podcast GET PLAYED is doing a recap on Shadows of the Collosus so I'm replaying that and man I feel loving awful. Just a bummer. The music is excellent and you can see the direct through line to the last 2 Zelda games in this. The controls have been harder to get used to than I was expecting. 6 down.

AGRO!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m in the second to last chapter of the Ishin! remaster and I think it might be tied with 0 for my favorite Yakuza title. All the side content is great and the combat styles are fun too. It’s also nice to see characters from the previous mainline games come to take part in a fun little period piece.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game does run better on PS5... makes falling through the world a bit less annoying and more like revisiting an old friend lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The second dude I shot had his corpse ragdoll and get his arm fused with a box. Just like old times