Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The dress code for the Senate now requires all senators to wear an "I'm With Stupid -->" shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jesus III posted:

Saying some people look like shut in suits but not calling out Fettetman for looking like poo poo in this outfit is rich. He dresses like a slob. It is possible to dress comfortably and still look nice.

Fetterman dresses like a Pennslyvanian from Pittsburgh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
the dress code thing would be a reasonable discussion to have if there were no republicans holding elected office at all

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Trash cans are an eyesore, unlike massive piles of leaky trashbags. Barbarians

It's exactly the same as the idiots who complain about wind and solar farms ruining the landscape. What's the alternative, ya dinguses?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the dress code thing would be a reasonable discussion to have if there were no republicans holding elected office at all

Funny enough it's the same threshold for discussing amending/rewriting the US Constitution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The development and passage of state recycling standards and extended producer responsibility are in the long term likely to drive federalization and standardization of waste collection, starting with recycling programs.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Need a couple of western states to step their flannel game up ASAP.

Looking at you, Oregon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Require all senators to wear state themed cultural garb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What is a necktie for, though?

It points at your dick, freeing up your hands for other tasks

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
if they lose the dress code the scolds that run the place won't be able to tut people for the way they dress any more. and if there's anything old white rich guys like it's being catty.
also bright colors and wild shapes would cause a large portion of lawmakers to stroke out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kanos posted:

I think that was exactly their point. Suits are a borderline global "this is serious businesswear for serious business people" signifier, they're not uniquely American, which is why they mentioned those other places that also wear suits.

I'm a "white collar" worker who works with serious business people at the VP and C suite level and this is my typical work outfit:

I've gone on camera wearing it, too. Nobody cares unless they have a point to make about kids these days ruining everything.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 22, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KillHour posted:

I'm a "white collar" worker who works with serious business people at the VP and C suite level and this is my typical work outfit:

I've gone on camera wearing it, too. Nobody cares unless they have a point to make about kids these days ruining everything.

Ehhhh...this is going to depend pretty heavily on your industry and geographic location. Some places like NYC are far more likely to expect business formal, whereas most of the west coast is fine with business casual or fully casual. Finance, banking, insurance, and a few others are also more likely to expect it than technology, O&G, etc.

COVID changed the rules temporarily, and things have definitely been trending in that direction for decades, but business formal is still very much alive.

Edit: not doubting your specific experience, just saying that it's not to be expected in every circumstance

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ehhhh...this is going to depend pretty heavily on your industry and geographic location. Some places like NYC are far more likely to expect business formal, whereas most of the west coast is fine with business casual or fully casual. Finance, banking, insurance, and a few others are also more likely to expect it than technology, O&G, etc.

COVID changed the rules temporarily, and things have definitely been trending in that direction for decades, but business formal is still very much alive.

Edit: not doubting your specific experience, just saying that it's not to be expected in every circumstance

I'm less saying that this is "normal" and more saying that "normal" is dumb. Wearing a pink flamingo robe doesn't interfere at all with my job of charging large companies gobs of money to give them my totally real and not at all made up opinions, so why the hell should it interfere with arguing over politics? If you need a suit to make people think what you're saying is valuable, it probably isn't. I'm not going to follow a bunch of pointless rules nobody likes because that's how some dead people did it. And neither should anyone else.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 22, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean what the dress code does do is prevent Marjorie Taylor Greene from showing up in a T-shirt with Himmler on it.

(but it also prevents Democrats from using the picture of that in ads)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

KillHour posted:

I'm less saying that this is "normal" and more saying that "normal" is dumb. Wearing a pink flamingo robe doesn't interfere at all with my job of charging large companies gobs of money to give them my totally real and not at all made up opinions, so why the hell should it interfere with arguing over politics? If you need a suit to make people think what you're saying is valuable, it probably isn't. I'm not going to follow a bunch of pointless rules nobody likes because that's how some dead people did it. And neither should anyone else.

Ah, misunderstood, my bad!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ah, misunderstood, my bad!

Nah, I should have been more clear about what I meant.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

KillHour posted:

Nah, I should have been more clear about what I meant.

Hey, at least we learned what the true ending of the Sopranos was :unsmith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KillHour posted:

I mean, sure, I'm fine with that, I personally hate wearing business formal attire. But a fair amount of places won't let you get away with wearing something like that unless you're extremely highly placed or are an independent contractor who is important enough that an 80 year old executive getting a bug up their rear end about you wearing a t-shirt to a meeting doesn't result in you losing your contract, because of the aforementioned silly expectation of serious business attire for serious business people. Try to get a sales job at a department store and show up in something like this and you'll get fired.

It's pretty stupid but it's an expectation that absolutely exists.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

New Clarence Thomas just dropped: more unreported flights, paid speaking gigs for the Koch’s, and being flown out to loving bohemian grove.

https://twitter.com/justinelliott/status/1705150884282294310?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

https://twitter.com/justinelliott/status/1705150891756523588?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

quote:

During the summit, the justice went to a private dinner for the network’s donors. Thomas has attended Koch donor events at least twice over the years, according to interviews with three former network employees and one major donor. The justice was brought in to speak, staffers said, in the hopes that such access would encourage donors to continue giving.

That puts Thomas in the extraordinary position of having served as a fundraising draw for a network that has brought cases before the Supreme Court, including one of the most closely watched of the upcoming term.

Thomas never reported the 2018 flight to Palm Springs on his annual financial disclosure form, an apparent violation of federal law requiring justices to report most gifts. A Koch network spokesperson said the network did not pay for the private jet. Since Thomas didn’t disclose it, it’s not clear who did pay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I love the slow drip of these.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

I've been to Pittsburgh. They have suits and not everyone dresses like a slob.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Suits are clown costumes, which is why congress should wear them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nenonen posted:

Suits are clown costumes, which is why congress should wear them.

What a bunch of clowns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Love 2 wear clothes from the european little ice age in the 2023 south so people will take me seriously

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Don't worry, Thomas had no idea that these dear friends of his would ask him to speak for any reason other than his towering intellect and knowledge of the law. He's known them for decades, of course he's happy to help them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Thomas mis-heard someone 20 years ago, and all this time he's been trying to meet his ethical obligations by avoiding the appearance of propriety

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, the DOJ thinks it has enough evidence against Menendez this time.

Indictments against Menendez and his wife are officially announced and the USDA will be holding a press conference with details in 30 minutes.

This is the bizarre case where Menendez may have helped a deli in New Jersey become the official Halal meat supplier for the state of Egypt in exchange for a car and trips on a yacht. Also, we don't know if this indictment includes the other story (where there is less evidence) with a different business where he allegedly received literal gold bars as bribes.

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1705210541717807243

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 22, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
This whole CasualFridayGate nonsense is such an East Coast thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Indictments against Menendez and his wife are officially announced and the USDA will be holding a press conference with details in 30 minutes.

This is the bizarre case where Menendez may have helped a deli in New Jersey become the official Halal meat supplier for the state of Egypt in exchange for a car and trips on a yacht. Also, we don't know if this indictment includes the other story (where there is less evidence) with a different business where he allegedly received literal gold bars as bribes.

The FBI raided Menendez's house and found $480,000 in cash in various places.

Also, literal gold bars.

Menendez is the chair of the Senate Foreign Relations committee and will be forced to give up his Chairmanship. Ben Cardin (D-MD) is likely to take over as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. Menendez will still be able to sit on the committee while he remains in the Senate.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gold bars stamped with “Swiss bank corporation” is some Saturday morning cartoon villain poo poo

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Was the earlier attempt at going after Menendez the one where SCOTUS basically said "It's not bribery unless you're photographed handing over a giant novelty check with "bribe" on the memo line", or am I thinking of a different case?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

azflyboy posted:

Was the earlier attempt at going after Menendez the one where SCOTUS basically said "It's not bribery unless you're photographed handing over a giant novelty check with "bribe" on the memo line", or am I thinking of a different case?

That was the case against Bob McDonnell (former Governor of Virginia). Afterwards, the DOJ dropped their case against Menendez because they had proof he accepted the gifts, but no proof that he performed specific official actions for them.

So the ruling was for a different case, but Menendez's original charges were dropped due to the ruling in that case. He was also acquitted of some of the charges when a jury deadlocked on his original case.

Edit: Reading the indictment, this time they think they have enough proof he performed official actions in exchange for the money because his wife was dumb enough to text about it and the things he did were very obvious things he had actively get involved with to make happen and were very unlikely to be coincidences.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2023

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks. I thought Menendez was somehow involved, but couldn't remember specifics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't know if I should be shocked that Menendez took his one literal "get out of jail free" card and wasted it by doing almost the exact same thing again while the FBI was watching him or impressed that he did that, but had the self-restraint to wait about 6 years before trying again.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
In case anyone else was wondering how a New Jersey company became "official halal meat provider of Egypt." They're the official US export to Egypt halal certifier for US made meat. I was really confused how Big Joey down at Satriale's Meat Market managed to provide the total sum of meat provisions for an entire country.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kaal posted:

This whole CasualFridayGate nonsense is such an East Coast thing.

The question we should be asking is "What are they trying to distract us from by making a big deal out of this?"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

the_steve posted:

The question we should be asking is "What are they trying to distract us from by making a big deal out of this?"

It’s not a big secret, if that’s what you’re suggesting. Republicans very clearly want to talk about anything else but their imminent shutdown of the government.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
They have texts showing him sending sensitive embassy information to the Egyptian government.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

James Garfield posted:

I mean what the dress code does do is prevent Marjorie Taylor Greene from showing up in a T-shirt with Himmler on it.

(but it also prevents Democrats from using the picture of that in ads)
lol very true, a dress code does save the biggest dork rear end weirdos from showing their rear end by having to make a decision for themselves and thus embarrass themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's an interesting scenario playing out in Congress.

Sherrod Brown, Roger Marshall, and Dick Durbin have a bipartisan credit card reform bill called the "Credit Card Competition Act" that they attempted to add as an amendment to the NDAA this past year, but failed.

Brown now says that he is open to making small changes and bringing the bill up as a stand-alone piece of legislation.

There are two Republican Senators who have co-signed on to the bill and two Republican congressmen in the House.

The bill is a fairly limited reform bill in scope, but could have a major impact on banks and retailers.

The short version is:

- Currently, the payment network and swipe fees paid by businesses are determined by the card you use.

Visa cards are all charged on the Visa network and the business pays the swipe fees set by Visa to use their payment processing network when a customer uses a Visa credit card.

- The bill would require credit card-issuing banks to offer a minimum of two networks for merchants processing electronic credit card transactions. It also specifically prohibits these two networks from being those with the largest market share of cards today — Visa and Mastercard.

That means that they have to offer either Visa/Mastercard and another option (Discover, AmEx, any other third party processor) and let the business choose which network they use.

- The idea is that by offering multiple choices and allowing the business to choose, they will inject competition into the payment processing market, businesses will always choose the one that charges them less, and without a monopoly/duopoly on the payment processing market, Visa/Mastercard will have to lower their swipe fees.

Big retailers are obviously very supportive of this and big banks are obviously extremely opposed.

https://twitter.com/BrendanPedersen/status/1705193849436373326
https://twitter.com/BrendanPedersen/status/1705227134795444453

This has resulted in a weird split of support where you have on the "pro-" side:

- The most liberal members of the Senate.

- Moderate Democrats from rural states without any major financial industry.

- Very conservative members of the Senate from states with a lot of retail business, but no major financial industry.

- Big retail companies like Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Target.

- Small business and retailer lobbying groups.

- Wall Street reform groups

and on the other side, you have:

- Democrats from states with large financial industries or major credit unions and regional banks.

- Very conservative members from states with large financial industries (like South Dakota).

- "Business-friendly" members of congress and lobbying groups.

- Consumer groups who worry that limiting swipe fees will lead to companies reducing credit card rewards for consumers without major differences in prices.

- Racial/Social justice groups who say that when a similar proposal happened to debit card fees in 2010, it was low-income people with checking accounts and no credit cards who were hurt the most because banks raised fees on checking accounts to make up the lost revenue.

- Several airline employee unions (this seems like a completely random group to get in on opposing this, but the reason is that many credit cards offer airline miles and points that drive business to specific airlines and credit card companies have warned that they will have to cut back on rewards if the bill passes.)

It's not clear what the fate of the bill looks like or how much it would impact consumers. It's also not clear what parts of the bill Sherrod Brown is open to changing to get it to pass.

On the news that Brown is considering bringing the bill to the floor, several groups released statements about it:

11 Trade Associations representing major banks, credit card companies, credit unions, and the financial services industry in opposition:

quote:

"The financial services industry stands united in opposition to the effort by Senators Durbin and Marshall to delay funding for veterans and our military in order to gift a massive government handout to Walmart, Target, and other big-box retailers," the associations representing primarily banks and credit unions said in a joint statement Tuesday. "The Durbin-Marshall credit card routing legislation has no relevance to military or veteran spending whatsoever. We call on both Senators to promptly abandon their effort to use the Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act to secure government favors for big-box retailers at the expense of consumers, small businesses, and small financial institutions."

OneMN a public advocacy group focusing on social and racial justice in opposition:

quote:

Lower interchange fees would directly affect the bottom lines of banks; banks use this revenue to enhance their services and security while simultaneously passing some of it onto consumers through rewards. Ironically, this could hurt those who've never held a credit card.

"Marginalized communities will pay the price … when credit card companies attempt to protect their bottom lines," warned Brett Buckner, managing director at OneMN.org, a public policy advocacy group focused on racial, social and economic equity. "Banks issuing credit cards will now begin raising interest rates, fees and credit standards in order to save money and restrict access to those deemed a credit risk. Sadly, the burden will fall heaviest on those who can afford it the least."

A group of 1,700 businesses, from small independent businesses to Wal-Mart in support:

quote:

Most of what the credit card industry, banks and their surrogates have said about the Credit Card Competition Act is misleading, and much of it simply isn’t true. Here are the facts about some of the key issues regarding this bipartisan, bicameral, pro-consumer legislation that is quickly gaining support in Congress.

Swipe fees for credit cards are higher in the United States than anywhere else in the industrialized world—more than seven times as high as Europe. In 2021 alone, U.S. merchants and consumers paid nearly $138 billion in card fees.

Will credit card rewards be affected? No

The bill addresses which networks transactions are routed over for processing, and that has nothing to do with rewards. Rewards are determined by banks, not networks, and are used as a marketing tool to convince consumers to choose a Visa or Mastercard card from one bank rather than another bank. Nothing about that will change.

Furthermore, the $15 billion in projected savings is less than 10 percent of swipe fee revenues, so banks would still have plenty of profits to pay for rewards. Many merchants offer rewards of their own through loyalty programs and manage to do so even with an average profit margin of under 3 percent. By comparison, the money center banks that issue the vast majority of credit cards have an average profit margin of 27 percent.

A study by payments consulting firm CMSPI says rewards would be reduced by less than one-tenth of 1 percent “at most” and that banks have “more than sufficient margin” to offset lost swipe fee revenue and “maintain current reward levels.”

Finally, rewards have not gone away in other countries where swipe fee reform has been adopted. A decade after reform in Australia, the Reserve Bank of Australia found banks still offered “significant credit card rewards” despite Visa and Mastercard claims that rewards would go away. In fact, Australian banks even lowered interest rates, a move that benefits the average consumer far more than rewards points.

The National Federation of Independent Businesses, a small business trade association and lobbying group, in support:

quote:

Competition will result in lower fees, which have increasingly cut into the razor-thin profit margins of small businesses. NFIB appreciates this important legislation, which aims to inject competition by allowing small businesses the freedom to choose between multiple credit card processing networks.

Americans for Financial Reform, a group of labor unions and progressive advocacy groups, in support:

quote:

We write to formally endorse the bipartisan, bicameral Credit Card Competition Act and urge its swift passage. It builds on the original 2010 Durbin amendment’s reforms to the debit card market recently updated by the Federal Reserve’s new debit card routing rules. The Credit Card Competition Act addresses a market failure in the credit card payment network, which has long been dominated by the Visa-Mastercard duopoly.

Today, because of this duopoly, American consumers pay the highest credit card swipe fees in the industrialized world. Due to their unchecked market power in the U.S., Visa and Mastercard charge ten times the swipe fees they charge in Europe.

The current credit card interchange system is uncompetitive, non-transparent, and harmful to consumers. All consumers pay more at stores and at the pump due to the anticompetitive practices of Visa and Mastercard, which set both the rules and prices for merchants to accept electronic payments. Merchants are forced to pass along the high credit card transaction costs to consumers by baking them into the prices all customers pay.

These fees impose the greatest hardship on the most vulnerable consumers—the millions without credit cards or banking relationships. These consumers predominantly use cash and subsidize others’ card usage by paying inflated prices for their groceries, gas, and other goods and services.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 22, 2023