Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

The UCP are going to give millions to their donors for studies and millions to their donors for surveys and millions to their donors for propaganda and then get smacked the gently caress down in the referendum.

And then go ahead and gently caress everyone over anyways.
This, except they're going to win the referendum. Because Alberta.

What is the mechanism for withdrawing from the CPP? Does Alberta actually have a claim on more than %population of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Another Sikh separatist just got murdered, this time in Winnipeg

what the christ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MA-Horus posted:

what the christ

If this keeps up we're going to have to write a strongly worded letter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Another Bill posted:

I'm wonder what this means for the Bradford Bypass.

Ah, the highway that had its proposed route altered to go around a golf course part-owned by the father of a sitting MPP:

... which the integrity commissioner had no problem with.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

eXXon posted:

Ah, the highway that had its proposed route altered to go around a golf course part-owned by the father of a sitting MPP:

... which the integrity commissioner had no problem with.

God it owns how obvious all this stuff is and how little anyone actually cares. Looking forward to that MPP's succesful reelection

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tagesschau posted:

It really is Canada's Texas, isn't it?

Where do you think most of the American brain rot has been seeping in from?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
CBC is reporting that the government has human and signals intelligence implicating the Indian government in the Nijjar assassination, including intercepted communications between Indian diplomats . Also, the US is clearly pissed off and is declaring their support for Canada. Sullivan was calling out the press reports that implied a wedge between us in his press briefing today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sikh-nijjar-india-canada-trudeau-modi-1.6974607

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7TQUcM3BVU&pp=ygUmamFrZSBzdWxsaXZhbiBwcmVzcyBicmllZmluZyBpbmRpYSBjdHY%3D

In other news - get rekt Doug Ford.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Another Bill posted:

Great news!

This lends a lot more support to my theory that Doug Ford absolutely cannot stand being unpopular and will do anything to make himself popular again, even directly loving over his biggest financial supporters.

e: I don't want to be a dick about this, but the world isn't always terrible and better things are possible! :)

No other conservative politician that I'm aware of seems to be willing to do anything resembling Ford Fest, so you may be on to something.

If anything, I could see Poilievre doing a "Skippy Event", which is literally him just skipping an event.

(I know that's a bad joke, but unfortunately Andrew Scheer is no longer leader so I can't try a "Scheer's Not Here").

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

He'll do to you what he did to Ontario!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MA-Horus posted:

what the christ

A Google search on this brings up a bunch of Indian media calling him a gangster. This seems pretty coordinated, why would they care about the death of a criminal in another country, with all the articles being released within a few hours of each other. The headlines make him sound like he’s India’s Dillinger.

E: Sukhdool Singh Gill, is the victim in Winnipeg. Unclear if he’s another Sikh separatist or just wanted in India for criminal activity.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/winnipeg/2023/9/21/1_6571959.amp.html

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 22, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Can India afford Rae Days?!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

McGavin posted:

Called it.

bullying works!

now how are we going to do that in Alberta?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

MA-Horus posted:

what the christ

After reading a bunch of articles any link to Khalistan movement seems very tenuous besides being from Punjab. And most of the very little information from police/RCMP seems quite certain that this is just run-of-the-mill gang killing.
It seems to just be blowing up because he was on a list of most wanted that India put out. I'm not ruling it out or anything but it's feeling very unlikely to me at the moment.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Another Ontario cabinet minister, Monte McNaughton, just resigned his office.

Third one this month!

e: I'm not going to toxx it, but I'm thinking by November 15 Doug Ford has resigned as well.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 22, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gonna need Doug Ford to carpet bomb Dundas Street or make the GO Train exclusively for landlords or something lest actual consequences keep happening and Bill gets too smug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Third one this month!

e: I'm not going to toxx it, but I'm thinking by November 15 Doug Ford has resigned as well.

There's a lot of cabinet shuffling going on but everyone so far is staying on as MPP. IDK what it would take for Doug Ford to resign, but I'd bet it would be "actual criminal charges".

It's good that they're resigning from the cabinet, OTOH, this is not meaningfully changing the makeup of the government, beyond pulling some back benchers up from riding the pine.

Whether or not putting people who were not previously considered cabinet material in Doug Ford's government in charge of things will have any kind of positive outcome, remains to be seen.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

There's a lot of cabinet shuffling going on but everyone so far is staying on as MPP. IDK what it would take for Doug Ford to resign, but I'd bet it would be "actual criminal charges".

McNaughton is leaving for the private sector, so he’ll have to resign as an MPP.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Attack of conscience or preemptively making it harder to FOIA their emails/RCMP search their file cabinets? You decide!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Attack of conscience or preemptively making it harder to FOIA their emails/RCMP search their file cabinets? You decide!

If they had a conscience they wouldn't be in this position to begin with, so decidedly the latter.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

“The buck stops here, folks” refers only to actual dollars passed in envelopes, not like, consequences or responsibilities.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Syfe posted:

Ford reversing plans to touch the greenbelt, admitted he said he wouldn't touch it. I wonder how this will play out next.
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/09/greenbelt-developers-invite-ford-to-4am-no-hard-feelings-party-at-the-docks/

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

This doesn't count for bills prediction

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

StealthArcher posted:

This doesn't count for bills prediction

Tbh I'm dying to see what happens next. Probably a few more MPPs jumping ship for the private sector (ie to run for PP next election) at least.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Another Bill posted:

Third one this month!

A lovely thought. And thanks for the links, I probably shouldn't read about Harper's political machinations before I've had morning coffee though. :barf::mad:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Another Bill posted:

Third one this month!

Manifesting this!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1704933513646985660?t=3mcpaN731zhTCJ3--7MxBg&s=19

If the referendum goes ahead, they will probably win. Lol i hate this lovely province so much

Even with family and a mortgage and all this bullshit, that might finally force us to move. That's taking away so many people's retirement. It is so insanely hosed up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what exactly happens if the APP forms? Is there an actual process for Alberta to extract money from the CPP, and who decides exactly how much Alberta can take from it?

Or will it pass, Alberta goes to the Federal government and demands 125% of the CPP, and the Federal government goes "ROFL gently caress no go away" and suddenly the rest of not-Quebec Canada has a slightly larger CPP share?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Randalor posted:

So what exactly happens if the APP forms? Is there an actual process for Alberta to extract money from the CPP, and who decides exactly how much Alberta can take from it?

Or will it pass, Alberta goes to the Federal government and demands 125% of the CPP, and the Federal government goes "ROFL gently caress no go away" and suddenly the rest of not-Quebec Canada has a slightly larger CPP share?

Apparently it's determined by the federal government via negotiation with the province withdrawing as per the CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-pension-plan-danielle-smith-change-minds-analysis-dinning-1.6974719

CBC News posted:

In Tombe's own newly published paper, he estimates Alberta would be more reasonably entitled to 20 or 25 per cent of CPP's present assets. CPPIB has not worked out its own figure, but Leduc said Tombe's math is much closer to a realistic figure, though even that may be high.

The ultimate number that Alberta would scoop up if it actually pursues the Alberta Pension Plan dream isn't Alberta's to determine, or Lifeworks' or Tombe's or even CPPIB's.

The federal government ultimately determines the asset transfer to a withdrawing province, likely in consultation with the other provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah there's no established procedure on how withdrawal would work, and it's never been done so there's no precedent on how to do it.

The $344B figure is ludicrous on the face of it, but honestly after skimming the act to see that there is no provision for provinces exiting, it's distinctly possible that Alberta's entitlement is $0, and we're just free to start our own from scratch if we want (with the requirement that the fund is up and running within 3 years and we match CPP payouts).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I can't wait for Alberta to take their entitlement to the pension funds (likely 15%) and spend those funds like they did the HSTF.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I love that there's no explicit way to answer No in that rag of a survey. As soon as you choose what you think should be prioritized in the survey(again, no option to just say "leave it be"), they just assume that you're in support of it .

UCP used toilet paper survey posted:

As you indicated, you are in favour of increasing pension benefits under an Alberta Pension Plan

Motherfucker, I'm in favour of not doing anything.

It gets even better later on

Oh, and the cherry on top

This is a blatant attempt at pulling out of the CPP so they can use that money to invest in Oil and Gas and cut payroll costs for the wealthy. Oh, and of course, we've gotta let the private sector manage the investment too, I'm sure they've already got some of their Country Club buddies lined up to take up that contract.

drat. I think I need to go out and touch grass today, I am getting pretty angry after having done this farce of a survey

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don’t forget the consultants are a subsidiary of Telus health, which manages pensions

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who wants some more good news!

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-post-reviewing-use-of-address-data-following-criticism-from-privacy-watchdog-1.1975147

quote:

Canada Post says it is reviewing how it uses data for tailored marketing campaigns after the federal privacy watchdog found the post office was breaking the law by gleaning information from the outsides of envelopes and packages.

Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne said in a report released this week that information collected for the post office's Smartmail Marketing Program includes data about where individuals live and what type of online shopping they do, based on who sends them packages. 

The information is then used to help build marketing lists that Canada Post rents to businesses

The commissioner found Canada Post had not obtained authorization from individuals to indirectly collect such personal information, a violation of Section 5 of the Privacy Act.

In a statement today, Canada Post says it is committed to the privacy law and the protections it places on personal information, and will therefore review its data services program.

The post office says it understands the public might have concerns and that it will live up to the standards that Canadians expect.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 22, 2023.

What the actual gently caress is Canada Post doing, selling this information to the highest bidder? No wonder I get such targeted mail spam, it's the loving post office doing the spying!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Mederlock posted:

What the actual gently caress is Canada Post doing, selling this information to the highest bidder? No wonder I get such targeted mail spam, it's the loving post office doing the spying!

This may help you:
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/receiving/mail-delivery/how-to-stop-receiving-advertising-mail

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Also this: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/info/mc/personal/tools/canadacomplete/default_en.jsf

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Appreciate thalose resources, thanks.

But this sort of spying should be opt-in and clearly communicated with their clients(read: every individual and business with a fixed address) through a yearly heads up. I had absolutely no idea this was something you had to actively go out of your way to opt out of, and clearly the privacy commissioner thought their lack of notifying people was problematic as well.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mederlock posted:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-post-reviewing-use-of-address-data-following-criticism-from-privacy-watchdog-1.1975147

We had Canada Post forward my mother in law's mail to us after she died. Removed the forwarding label and wrote "deceased" on the outside of the forwarded envelopes then dropped them back in the mail so the senders could delete her from their databases.

We're now getting letters from those same businesses addressed directly to Mom at our address. Looks like our suspicion about Canada Post selling the new address was correct.

Wouldn't piss me off so much if snail spam was compostable.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mederlock posted:

Buddy, Canada Post has been selling mailing lists for years, and for at least 2013-2016 they outsourced the arrangement of this to poorly-paid employees of an abusive and lovely call centre in Hamilton, Ontario. When that contract ended they dropped that call centre and went for an even cheaper and shittier one in Kingston (and did such a lovely job training them that they had us benighted Hamilton folks teach them how to do it) .

Mailing lists were based on general demographic trends identifiable by postal code through uhhhhhhh PRIZM, I think, which I believe worked off census data, but it's been.....gently caress, seven years since I worked in that shithole. They certainly couldn't tell that C. M. Burns who lived at the corner of Croesus and Mammon had regular deliveries of foie gras or whatever, or at least they couldn't at the time, but that was a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mederlock posted:

Appreciate thalose resources, thanks.

But this sort of spying should be opt-in and clearly communicated with their clients(read: every individual and business with a fixed address) through a yearly heads up. I had absolutely no idea this was something you had to actively go out of your way to opt out of, and clearly the privacy commissioner thought their lack of notifying people was problematic as well.

Oh, if it was opt in like it should be no one would want it and it wouldn't make as much money

Almost like the post should be a public service instead of a profit seeking company