Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I had fun having more time to do other things. I also enjoyed seeing Pink and Bruce at Wrigley, so thanks for that, Ricketts Family. Maybe next year you'll field a team I like, but not looking terribly likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagining how hard i'd be melting down right now if the cubs didn't win a world series before i died

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagining how hard i'd be melting down right now if the cubs didn't win a world series before i died

Flags fly forever, baby.

2016 Cubs were the last true and legitimate World Series winners. All other World Series were in a post-can-banging world.

Everything changed after the can-banging.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There won't be another true World Series champion until the Seattle Mariners win so maybe the cubs were it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I love the Ricketts family

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1705051468259090751?s=46&t=EfhXBlOTjLN_O7LrA_QSoA

Lots of exciting young players in the rookie of the year mix next season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Rays do love calling up their minors

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Padres gonna win out and make the playoffs.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m not a fan of the cubs choking against bad teams. Maybe Ross should try playing his good ball players from now on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So is W Franco pretty much out of baseball forever ? I haven’t followed the story closely

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

So is W Franco pretty much out of baseball forever ? I haven’t followed the story closely

There is no W Franco

e: Someone post the Stalin meme

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

There is no W Franco

e: Someone post the Stalin meme

Those who Wander, get lost

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Rays do love calling up their minors

:lol:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m not a fan of the cubs choking against bad teams. Maybe Ross should try playing his good ball players from now on.

This is cosmic balance for winning all those games in the 2nd half of last season without actually outscoring opponents in the aggregate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wikipedia says he was suspended indefinitely but I don’t trust Wikipedia so it’s why I asked

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The Jays have 6 more games against Tampa Bay, and three more against New York, including another Cole start. So realistically, the best the Jays can expect to do is go 4-5 over their last 9. All Seattle or Texas have to do is a mediocre 5-4 to eliminate Toronto.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Jays have 6 more games against Tampa Bay, and three more against New York, including another Cole start. So realistically, the best the Jays can expect to do is go 4-5 over their last 9. All Seattle or Texas have to do is a mediocre 5-4 to eliminate Toronto.

You know, you don't have to pop in every 3 weeks with a doomer post about the Jays. Feels like you've declared their season over about 5 times already. Fangraphs gives them a 76% chance to make the playoffs.

There's plenty of reasons to be annoyed at this team - they've been really frustrating! - but "Realistically the best they can expect to do is 4-5" is obviously silly, plus all 3 of the AL West teams have to finish ahead of Toronto for the Jays to miss the playoffs, and they're mostly playing each other, so going 4-5 could very well get them in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No, let them doom

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

If you can't look at this and doompost your team into actually clearly being mathematically eliminated when you think about it, then are you even trying?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I get it. I do. I can be the slightly optimistic counter so that you can all laugh at me when the doomer predictions come to fruition.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins didn’t play yesterday and gained a game in the WC standings

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

I get it. I do. I can be the slightly optimistic counter so that you can all laugh at me when the doomer predictions come to fruition.

I'm hanging my hat on the M's having two of three tie breakers a lot. Keeps me slightly calmer, and if you squint you can call it optimism.

But about 99% of the time, I'm internally Chicken LIttleing like a fool.

The Jays do technically have the hardest remaining schedule, but the M's are right there behind them AND all 10 games are against Texas and Houston. It's a perfect chaos storm, and it's wonderful.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I would like for the Rangers to beat the Mariners several times over the next couple of weeks. And the Angels three times.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
dear Cubs please stop immediately

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think it would be neat if the Astros and Rangers finished with the same record and ahead of the Ms for some Texas solidarity

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Brewers have not lost a game for like 2 solid months and I'm looking forward to them getting swept by Miami out of hatred and spite.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

I think it would be neat if the Astros and Rangers finished with the same record and ahead of the Ms for some Texas solidarity

I would rather lose the division to Seattle than ever share anything with the Rangers

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

As a Rangers fan, I find it weird that anyone would hate them. They deserve a mountain of apathy, sure, but they've been too irrelevant for a stronger reaction. Astros fans should want us in the playoffs for an easy series win.

Edit: And what is this thread for if not doomposting?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

maffew buildings posted:

dear Cubs fans please stop immediately

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Mathematically all the remaining teams in the AL playoff hunt will miss the playoffs.

Sorry, it’s just basic arithmetic

e: I love that Cleveland is eliminated from the wild card race but can still technically win the AL central. For gods sake just seed each league’s playoffs by record.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 22, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Somehow Robbie Ray just threw that pitch again and the M's have fallen a half game back.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well Played Mauer posted:

e: I love that Cleveland is eliminated from the wild card race but can still technically win the AL central. For gods sake just seed each league’s playoffs by record.

Seriously. Now that schedules are more balanced and everyone plays everyone it makes even less sense to seed weak division winners higher than wild card teams that are 15 games better. Whoever wins the AL Central might end up with the worst record of any playoff team.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1705229221977632989

Neat

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Thats a very Elias game

"That one time a game was supposed to feature two HoF starters, both of whom got injured, and ended up still featuring two HoF starters"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Castellanos being hot going into October is exciting

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Fellow Cubs fans, whatever you do, do not look at the lineup for today’s game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone but Houston

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Too late already did.

Anyway, Sean Doolittle announced his retirement.
https://twitter.com/whatwoulddoodo/status/1705236218852548946?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

you fiend!!!!!