Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I like Danger Street, even if it's running a little long.

You aren’t allowed to say something nice about a Tom King book here. You could get permabanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

You aren’t allowed to say something nice about a Tom King book here. You could get permabanned.

with good cause

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If King and Snyder worked together some goons might go into orbit

I just finished reading the Geoff three joker thing.
Sigh

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just said a bunch of good things about King! It simply includes the caveat that I would experience zero surprise if, oh I dunno, Steve Trevor gets minced in a literal blender or something next issue to provide edge quota for the edge gods.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Wonder Woman obviously a bizarre choice to have King be the writer on, but the thread shouldn't sleep on The Penguin. A much better fit for the tone that King is known for and it does a great job of selling the Penguin as a scary crime boss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I just said a bunch of good things about King! It simply includes the caveat that I would experience zero surprise if, oh I dunno, Steve Trevor gets minced in a literal blender or something next issue to provide edge quota for the edge gods.

King is more likely to spend five pages on a monologue about nothing than go weird edgelord. He's capable of writing snappy dialogue and getting to the point. He just seems to prefer going into weird philosophical discussions with barely anything of note happening on the page.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

King knows writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I just read the good King books like Love Everlasting (and I liked his Batman).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I enjoyed Omega Men but I'm afraid to go back to it because it probably has all the same problems as most of his current stuff, but that was before it was done in every Tom King comic where everyone and everything has to be miserable all the time.

I did like parts of Batman, especially the date stuff, but when they backed out of the wedding it just soured the whole thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I enjoyed Omega Men but I'm afraid to go back to it because it probably has all the same problems as most of his current stuff, but that was before it was done in every Tom King comic where everyone and everything has to be miserable all the time.

I did like parts of Batman, especially the date stuff, but when they backed out of the wedding it just soured the whole thing.

From my recollection it's very much everyone being miserable including special guest, Kyle Rayner

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Batman/Elmer Fudd was fun

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's not his fault entirely but that's the worse riddler I ever saw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked Human Target but that had the advantages of being both out-of-canon and also that I don't know poo poo about Christopher Chance so I couldn't tell if he was being written poorly or anything like that. And yeah I'll go to bat (:rimshot:) for the vast majority of his Batman. And Supergirl's okay but like, it's just True Grit but with Supergirl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly sounds like my policy of not reading modern main continuity books from either DC or Marvel(with the occasional exception) is continuing to be a good one

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly sounds like my policy of not reading modern main continuity books from either DC or Marvel(with the occasional exception) is continuing to be a good one

A few of the new DC books aren't bad. The problem is the big 2 are just big corporate messes now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A lot of New Dawn books are really good. They just completely cut off the momentum with the dumb Knight Terrors crossover.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

A lot of New Dawn books are really good. They just completely cut off the momentum with the dumb Knight Terrors crossover.

Which do you like?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

X-O posted:

This.

Most of the Dawn of DC titles have been solid, and without a doubt a much better direction than what they have been doing. It's still mystifying why they did Knight Terrors at all. Nobody wanted it, especially liked it, and certainly killed momentum on the actual successful relainches that has just gotten underway

Also people should check out the John Stewart book. Don't let the dumb subtitle throw you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Which do you like?

All the Superman books (Action, Superman, Steelworks, and especially Superboy which was fantastic), Green Arrow, Nightwing, Titans, Shazam, and even Green Lantern. And that last one's a big one for me because I have historically not liked Green Lantern at all. The only reason I gave the book a chance was based on the great Flash run that Jeremy Adams had just done. I also really like what they've done with Power Girl going into the book she's getting from Leah Williams. The Fire and Ice one shot was really great. I also really like World's Finest but that's been running for a bit uninterrupted.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I've really enjoyed the Peacemaker Tries Hard mini that's about to end.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

All the Superman books (Action, Superman, Steelworks, and especially Superboy which was fantastic), Green Arrow, Nightwing, Titans, Shazam, and even Green Lantern. And that last one's a big one for me because I have historically not liked Green Lantern at all. The only reason I gave the book a chance was based on the great Flash run that Jeremy Adams had just done. I also really like what they've done with Power Girl going into the book she's getting from Leah Williams. The Fire and Ice one shot was really great. I also really like World's Finest but that's been running for a bit uninterrupted.

I'm not reading some of those due to planned read through I have after I finish my batman project.

I disagree about Superboy. Thought it was very bad for the middle issues of that arc.

Titans and Shazam are both fantastic. Steelworks was ok foe the 1 issue I read.

If you haven't tried it you should check out the JSA and stargirl mini.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think Hawkgirl is definitely lower on the list than some of the others (the OC with her talking pet corgi is both way too twee and just way to indugently sudden for the writer). Steelworks is kinda there. Not bad, not great. Wonder Woman just started so who knows where that's going. Titans also feels a bit lite that as well. I'll also say I'm a little iffy on Unstoppable Doom Patrol. It's very ambitious, but it might be a bit overburdened for its limited run. All of the new character titles seem good to great though: City Boy, The Vigil, and Spirit World in that order..

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DC hasn’t been this strong over all in a long time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Read Nightwing #12 (1996) last night. Boy this comic has aged like milk. Dixon's lovely politics really leak into nightwing and Scott McDaniel is a terrible artist.

Ah the 90s.

I also enjoy Tim Drake being consistently written as some junior tpusa rear end in a top hat in Robin.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

some of that posing and composition is pretty good. coloring is god awful though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fuckin liberals

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Would a liberal fight crime with a giant human sized roach trap

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Parallax posted:

some of that posing and composition is pretty good. coloring is god awful though

A lot of McDaniels work becomes very messy. You should see his catwoman or nightwing in an action sequence.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Upsidads posted:

Would a liberal fight crime with a giant human sized roach trap

Having my hero use a giant glue mouse trap to catch a criminal, but stopping myself from including a monolog about the criminal being vermin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A lot of the '90s coloring looks a lot worse in the digital reprints than it did on the page. Not saying the page would improve this a ton but it wouldn't look as bad I'm guessing when on the page.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A lot of 90s digital coloring is rough. Gradients everywhere

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X-O posted:

See that's exactly why I'm not willing to invest myself in modern main continuity books, while DC's always been a bit too event happy after COIE, ever since Flashpoint the pace just keeps accelerating more and more to the point where it feels meaningless to get invested even in the books that are decent cause you just know some outside factor is going to ruin it before too long

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I haven't read a lot of Flash (just the recent Adams run) but I have read a lot of Spurrier and his first issue as writer has me hooked.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Shame Deodato's artwork looks like a bad 3d webcomic.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Oh hey Dan Didio is back in the news!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/statu...%5Es1_&ref_url=

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Can someone explain to me how and why he became Editor in Chief of DC?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

doomrider7 posted:

Can someone explain to me how and why he became Editor in Chief of DC?
Didn't Bob Harras give him the job?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Bob Harras give him the job?

Other way around. Jim Lee came to DC and brought Harras with him from Wildstorm. Didio had been publisher for years before Harras showed up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Didio was technically never "editor in chief" at DC; he went from VP of Editorial, to "Executive Editor" (replacing Mike Carlin) in 2002, to "Co-Publisher" (replacing part of Paul Levitz) in 2010.

Didio had a low profile but pretty successful career in developing/story editing for children's animation (Reboot and Beast Wars being the most-remembered series) for like twenty years before getting hired by DC as a VP in editorial. It probably did not hurt that he was longtime friends with Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti, who four years earlier had done the Marvel Knights line, which was seen as "outsiders" revitalizing moribund properties, to the point that in 2000 Quesada was appointed Editor-in-Chief of Marvel.

In the big picture it's important to look at the comic market in that time, for five years between 1997 and 2001, DC hadn't had a #1 selling comic AT ALL, and the only books that cracked the top ten across those five years were:

1. JLA by Grant Morrison (and later, briefly, Mark Waid) Both of these creators had by 2002 been poached by Marvel, and Morrison was writing Marvel's consistent #1 book
2. Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, who started writing comics via Bob Schreck at Oni, was the centerpiece of the initial MK launch, and who DC hired not long before Didio
3. Battle Chasers and Danger Girl, two incredibly infrequent creator-owned books DC inherited from their purchase of Wildstorm at the end of 1998

Their first #1 comic since Superman turned blue was Frank Miller's DK2, a book edited by and shephered into existence by Schreck, who had worked with Millar at Dark Horse in the 1990s.

Their next one was the first issue of Hush, which was a book Didio helped arrange alongside Schreck. And then in the mid-2000s a lot of sales/attention momentum shifted towards DC in a way it had not for a solid decade+.

This isn't a commentary on the quality of any of the top selling books from any publisher (they were frequently bad!) or the work environment of the offices under Didio (they were, more importantly and objectively, frequently terrible!) but in terms of "how did he ever get hired/promoted/kept around", that is why.

And Bob Harras's CV is a little more complex, he was EiC at Marvel up until 2000 when he was fired and Quesada replaced him. After that, Jim Lee (who had sold Wildstorm to DC but still had a semi-autonomous studio/office in California) hired Harras in a nebulous editorial consultant position that he did from home on the east coast. As Wildstorm got more absorbed into the DC structure (and published fewer and fewer books), Harras got a gig at DC proper around 2005 (post-Didio) as the editor of collected editions and various other low profile projects. When Didio and Lee were made co-publishers in 2010, Harras was given the "Editor in Chief" position, which had previously been sort of merged into Paul Levitz's position of President/Publisher, allegedly because Levitz didn't want to be called "Editor in Chief" because it would invite comparisons to Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, etc.

When they did the big restructuring, Diane Nelson became President, Didio/Lee became Publisher, and the 'editor in chief' title was basically created and Harras was placed in it, reporting to Lee/Didio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm reading more of Dixon's Nightwing and it is like his Robin where the books are good when he isn't inserting his weird politics into it. I don't know how long Dixon's run lasts and I'm worried about Devin's whose run I've always heard is pretty bad.