Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warbird posted:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/harley-quinn-spinoff-kite-man-noonans-hbo-max-1235242493

For anyone wondering.

“The series will focus on lovable loser Kite Man and his new squeeze, Golden Glider, as they moonlight as criminals to support their foolish purchase of Noonan’s, Gotham’s seediest dive bar.”

Wait was that his fiance, I thought that was someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://youtu.be/DwWM7pX3bMo?si=42YFwgcrAzJ3_t_9

Kite Man: Hell Yeah! Trailer

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well maybe HBO wont be getting rid of all their animation after all. This bodes well, even if there's other characters I'd rather see get a spin off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

koolkal posted:

Heh, it reminds me a lot of when they announced a live action Aladdin spinoff of like the one white guy side character in it

That was some peak Disney Executive Brain poo poo. Instead of green lighting a sequel to the one live action Disney remake outside of Maleficent that almost managed to justify its existence, they proposed a spin-off TV show centered around not only the only white character in the film, but a dude who shows up for about a minute, barely speaks English and does so in a huurdy guurdy merp merp merp Swedish Chef voice, and was a nothing more than a walking sight gag.

I legit think that that was just a trial balloon to see "Okay, what's the most shameless thing we announce for Disney+ before we get finally get any pushback on it" back when the sky seemed like it was the limit for D+. It was Disney testing where the electric fences were.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Warbird posted:

Noonan’s

Holy gently caress.

Is this a back door Hitman cartoon?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pixaal posted:

Well maybe HBO wont be getting rid of all their animation after all. This bodes well, even if there's other characters I'd rather see get a spin off.

It's a good way to continue that world without just being locked in on Harley and Ivy. I'd honestly think a series that focused on the Natural Disasters or Babs would've worked too.

RIP Cobb Squad

Long Live the Gotham City Sirens

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fionna and Cake brutally murdering alternate candy kingdom people was super nasty. Also interesting to see a return to farmer Finn's universe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that show worth bothering with if you neither watched nor particularly cared about the main series?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warbird posted:

Is that show worth bothering with if you neither watched nor particularly cared about the main series?

No. If you didn't like Adventure Time you wouldn't get anything out of Fionna & Cake. It is a little more serious and directed but it is still fundamentally Adventure Time. Also you'd be missing out on a bunch of stuff if you hadn't actually seen the original.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm watching through AT for the first time (I remember kids in my scout troop loved it in our last couple years as it came out and it makes me feel loving old now) because I've been hearing about F&C. Surprised that it took me so long but I really enjoy it so far. I'm at the end of season 2 now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

No. No it is not. This is like asking "Should I still eat ice cream even though I don't like cold foods, things that taste sweet, and am lactose intolerant?"

Fiona and Cake is really good, but if you don't already care about Adventure Time characters, you're certainly not going to care about a show dedicated to more deeply exploring Adventure Time characters and the way they handle existential loneliness, grief, and depression.

muscles like this! posted:

Fionna and Cake brutally murdering alternate candy kingdom people was super nasty. Also interesting to see a return to farmer Finn's universe.

Farmer Finn was totally married to Farmer Huntress Wizard, hence that one kid with the red hair.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
99% of F&C will be adventure time nostalgia for those that grew up on it, but oh boy the animation is actually quite good, this in particular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipE_nqzp-o

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 16, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That doesn’t surprise me but I’d figure I’d ask. The Lower Decks has done a great job of being its own thing outside of the rest of Star Trek thus far but is certainly elevated by knowing the source of some of the gags.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my mind Adventure Time is still that one weird short that showed up on Adult Swim or whatever back in the ATHF salad days.

Holy poo poo that animation though ^^ drat good song too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

99% of F&C will be adventure time nostalgia for those that grew up on it, but oh boy the animation is actually quite good, this in particular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipE_nqzp-o

I knew I recognized the Winter King's voice and it turns out he's played by Brian David Gilbert. Really shouldn't be too surprised though as they've shown a tendency to cast internet people before seeing as Distant Lands had Chris Fleming as New Death.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The animator of that sequence is on Twitter as well, and so is the background artist. The background artist, you guys are probably familiar with, Emmy Cicierega.

That's been one of my favorite things about modern cartoons. So much of the crew on these shows is just on twitter posting their work, showing behind the scenes shots, showing animatics and storyboards and standalone backgrounds, and non cleaned up animated sequences, voice talent from a lot of internet personalities that are finally getting to show their voice talents. So much about modern animated shows is able to be appreciated more than it ever has now because of their social media presence, it's really wild when I see people say anything about old cartoons being better. Animation is in a better place than it has ever been. It's so cool that so many artists and animators and storyboard artist, and clean up artists, and whatever else in the pipeline are just on twitter showing their process.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The amount of animators and artists putting out all their concept work for Across the Spider-Verse retroactively made the Making Of book quite poor. There needs to be an amazing big collation of all that work at some point.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm watching Smiling Friends and I was not at all emotionally prepared for the voice of God.

Show is really, really funny.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The animator of that sequence is on Twitter as well, and so is the background artist. The background artist, you guys are probably familiar with, Emmy Cicierega.

That's been one of my favorite things about modern cartoons. So much of the crew on these shows is just on twitter posting their work, showing behind the scenes shots, showing animatics and storyboards and standalone backgrounds, and non cleaned up animated sequences, voice talent from a lot of internet personalities that are finally getting to show their voice talents. So much about modern animated shows is able to be appreciated more than it ever has now because of their social media presence, it's really wild when I see people say anything about old cartoons being better. Animation is in a better place than it has ever been. It's so cool that so many artists and animators and storyboard artist, and clean up artists, and whatever else in the pipeline are just on twitter showing their process.

Speaking of which, for those interested in the boarding for that musical number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmmjkgx-r1Q

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

I knew I recognized the Winter King's voice and it turns out he's played by Brian David Gilbert. Really shouldn't be too surprised though as they've shown a tendency to cast internet people before seeing as Distant Lands had Chris Fleming as New Death.

Stupid Sexy Simon...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I don't remember where I stopped watching Adventure Time when I dropped cable like 7 or 8 years ago, and the prospect of starting over at this point intimidates me.

Apparently the recasting of Prismo in Fionna & Cake was due to agent shenanigans. Kumail says he was never asked and Adam Muto says they hit up his agent and never heard back.

Ah, the Stephen Colbert/Professor Impossible drama all over again. You love to see it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Oh hey cool! James Stewart, whose song The Meaning of Good Bye plays throughout the surprisingly heartfelt ending of Litter Kills: Litterally (the Ponce de León episode of Clone High), has released the early demo version that was used in the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhyu3ZvqP8&t=11953s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhyu3ZvqP8&t=12125s

I'd been silently hoping for a quality version for well over a decade. His album version is just slightly different and the simpler, unpolished production fits the vulnerability of these young cloned teens.

https://jamesstewart.bandcamp.com/album/clone-high-james-stewart

"I was thrilled when I heard that two of my songs - demos at the time - were selected for a brand new animated series called 'Clone High'. It was never screened in my home country of South Africa so I had no idea of the popularity and following of the series. Some years later, I was very surprised to see (I confess I must have been googling myself) some grainy screen grab videos with my song and so many comments wondering where they could find the song - and did this artist even exist and if so, how poo poo his marketing must have been to manage bury a song on the world wide web? Besides a few sheepish comments and apologies of my own I directed anyone interested to BandCamp - and grateful and pleased to see fantastic support in downloads from all over the world.
Forgetting - yes, I can be that slow on the uptake - I had released both 'The Meaning of Goodbye' and 'A man like me' having made a few production and instrumentation changes to what become the 'final versions' on my album released in 2010.
So, I had to really wrack my brain to come up with an answer for a fan who had tracked me down, pointing out the differences between the former and latter recordings... eventually I trawled through my master tapes, uncovering the early demos of these songs.
Two decades later I got my poo poo together. The more things change...
Anyway - here they are; the original versions. Enjoy."
-James Stewart

2 hours later...

:aaa:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Just watched up to the end of Stakes in S7 of Adventure Time. I thought it was really good, even though Marceline is one of my less liked characters. The story was cool and I enjoyed the serialisation. I even think it's funny how the story wraps up in a way that 100% restores the status quo.

PB might be my favourite character. Although, Finn, BMO and Ice King/Simon are close in the running. The only main character I get a bit bored with is Jake, his episodes are usually my least favourites. I would like to see more LSP but I get the feeling she's polarising so they don't want to overdo it.

Not that many to go now, really, cos the last seasons are a lot shorter. Then onto Distant Lands and then Fionna and Cake.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

LSP might be my favorite character so far (early S3). Her randomly turning up as a hobo really amused me for some reason, and Ice King (another contender) immediately throwing her up as his least favorite princess to sate a hitman was great

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really love LSP living with melon-eating wolves and drumming up relationship drama.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I really love LSP living with melon-eating wolves and drumming up relationship drama.

Just watched this one, and I agree

"Because I think Tony has a right to know, Stephanie!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BMO and PB definitely my favourite characters. Jake episodes can be mixed but the highlights like Jake the Brick or Time Sandwich are some of the best of the entire series

also hey Pantheon season 2 will be on Prime I guess

https://youtu.be/Cj4zqd3k3yg?si=kVhXTGcIeSD_hZIY

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Escobarbarian posted:

BMO and PB definitely my favourite characters. Jake episodes can be mixed but the highlights like Jake the Brick or Time Sandwich are some of the best of the entire series

also hey Pantheon season 2 will be on Prime I guess

https://youtu.be/Cj4zqd3k3yg?si=kVhXTGcIeSD_hZIY

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any more fun background gags in season 2 DB?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not as happy as the goon comic one made me, but... Okay, I don't know how to explain this.
It became a running joke with BG crew to try and slip in Furbys wherever we could. It drove one of our production people (playfully) nuts. It has nothing to do with anything, but there should be at least a dozen Furbys in there between us.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has there been any update about when new episodes of Smiling Friends are happening?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

Has there been any update about when new episodes of Smiling Friends are happening?

I'm sad we wont see God again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lower Decks with might be my favorite ST gag of all time: (character introducing two other characters) “Warrior Queen [Alien stuff] and B’urt”. Love that dumb poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fiona and Cake is shaping up to be one of the best Adventure Time things ever made.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s extremely good OP

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Geez yeah Fionna and Cake is really something. I just watched episode 7 and 8. Part of why it hits so hard is its got all this lore it can draw on and these character connections, but it doesn't have to spend time explaining it all because people who watched Adventure Time are already up to speed. So it can just concentrate on really hitting those emotional beats.

I love how its pulling threads that were laid down in AT. Like in one episode Lich says he's the last scholar of Golb, but they never interact. Well, now we get to see it maybe next week.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Speaking as someone who was in AT's target audience and fell off the show because I thought the Flame Princess stuff was boring (because I was a child) the mass adoration might get me to give it another shot

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mutantIke posted:

Speaking as someone who was in AT's target audience and fell off the show because I thought the Flame Princess stuff was boring (because I was a child) the mass adoration might get me to give it another shot

Its really good, I've been going back to check stuff I missed like the Elements and Islands miniseries. I can really feel the show stretching itself as far as it could go as a kids show with those events.

Also the duo of songs in the finale is an emotional whollop. If you manage to get through the first without tearing up, there's a second waiting for you! There's an SDCC video of Rebecca Sugar playing the song she wrong for the finale and John DiMaggio crying all the way through it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mutantIke posted:

I think it's absolutely worth it. A friend and I also independently fell off of the show during the arc where Finn gets mopey about Flame Princess, but more recently binged the show in its entirety and it's so good, and only gets better towards the end. I remember the whole Finn being depressed thing felt like an interminable slog when I was watching the show live, but

A. being older, it's a lot easier to recognize it as character development, and

B. It's definitely a low point for the series in terms of energy, but it doesn't feel like it drags on forever when you're not following the episodes as they come out

Adventure Time is legit one of my favorite TV shows ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Whoops, probably shouldn't be in here until I finish the show but oh well.

Well it's nice to know Finn gets a romantic interest closer to his age at least, I think the show mentions PB being really really old.