Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SixteenShells posted:

tree law abandons us when it is needed most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Bdel Bdelverstein

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

eating cows is kinda cringe ngl

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
from weatherdamerung

quote:

Researchers in Sweden have discovered that large amounts of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas, is leaking from unusual depths of the Baltic Sea seabed.

In a recent expedition, researchers at Stockholm University and Linne University detected methane bubbles rising up 370 metres (1,200 feet) from the seabed, a stark contrast to the expected 150-200 metres.

The gas bubbles were found in a 20-square-kilometre (77-square-miles) area off of Sweden’s southeastern coast.

“We know that methane gas can bubble up from shallow seabeds near the Baltic Sea coast, but I’ve never seen such intense bubbles before – and definitely not from such a deep area,” said researcher Christian Stranne, member of the research project, in a statement from Stockholm University.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

Erghh posted:

from weatherdamerung

We going to get a sequel of the ocean on fire like in 2021 if someone takes a lighter to it?

https://i.imgur.com/idP7Aj9.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegdEOSQotE&t=76s

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Jizzny Princess posted:

We going to get a sequel of the ocean on fire like in 2021 if someone takes a lighter to it?

still don't think it's going to be anything that dramatic or interesting. just happy little molecules floating up to make friends with the sun's warmth.

also lol, lmao that second video

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Would lighting the methane on fire mitigate the release at least a little bit though?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that produces co2.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Methane destroys ozone though, doesn't it? And while you may technically be releasing more carbon, methane is a more potent retainer of heat energy

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
meet Conflagratr, the new startup that will set the atmosphere on fire to mitigate uncontrolled methane release

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inAji1SaCBk

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHNNRaGQRJg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Mississippi is so low that seawater is coming upriver. It's getting close to the point that it's going to overtake the intake plants for drinking water for New Orleans.

The mayor has responded by asking for emergency powers so the police can abuse thirsty people.

https://twitter.com/Cassiewdsu/status/1705316322970657249

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

skooma512 posted:

I wonder at what point people start harming the ranchers flocks and the ranchers themselves. They seem to think they’re entitled to unlimited rainforest land.

careful, now

the history of american ranching set a hell of a precedent

still remains as a major voice of power

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

soundsection posted:

does "going completely loving insane" come after lol, and lmao? because i think thats where im at. post enlightenment, perhaps.

no, that's a different, darker path. one where you start snorting ever larger piles of copium and obsessing over carbon capture technology and lashing out when anyone talks about our objective reality because it risks shattering your head-in-the-sand worldview that everything is going to be JUST FINE.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PostNouveau posted:

The Mississippi is so low that seawater is coming upriver. It's getting close to the point that it's going to overtake the intake plants for drinking water for New Orleans.

The mayor has responded by asking for emergency powers so the police can abuse thirsty people.

this is loving wild

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

PostNouveau posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is loving wild

It certainly isn't without precedent.

When Authorities Believe Their Citizens Will Become Dangerous... posted:

Why does the State fear its citizens?

I’ll cover this briefly here; look for expanded discussion in later work. But to start, consider this, from the (neocon) magazine Commentary. It starts with the tale of an earthquake near Anchorage, Alaska, and public officials’ fears of what would happen:

quote:

North America’s strongest recorded earthquake struck just off the Alaskan coast at 5:36 p.m., on March 27, 1964. The shaking from the magnitude 9.2 quake lasted an unimaginable four and a half minutes. The tectonic forces reshaped Alaska’s coastline and triggered tsunamis that wiped out villages and claimed lives as far south as California. Anchorage, only 75 miles from the epicenter, was devastated. …

The sun set that night on a shattered city. Thousands were homeless. An entire neighborhood of stately homes had tumbled down a bluff as the soil beneath it turned to slurry. …

Almost as soon as the shaking stopped, city officials began worrying about how the populace would respond. … Police quickly deputized a group of volunteers—some of them freshly emerged from those Fourth Avenue bars—as ad hoc officers. The men put on armbands with the word police emblazoned in lipstick—a few were even issued firearms—and off they went to protect the city from the inevitable post-disaster crime wave.

…At the time, most experts believed any major disaster would cause “a mass outbreak of hysterical neurosis among the civilian population,” as social scientist Richard M. Titmuss had put it some years earlier. Shocked by carnage and desperate for food and shelter, people would “behave like frightened and unsatisfied children.” Only firm control by powerful authorities could keep the lid on such dangerous situations.

“Only firm control by powerful authorities” plays right into the hands of powerful authorities who desire firm control.

All the dire predictions turned to dust, as the article details. “Expecting chaos, the sociologists were puzzled to find the residents calmly, almost cheerfully, pitching in to help.”

And yet…

quote:

Before dispatching those casually deputized citizens to keep order in the streets, the Anchorage police chief suspended the search for survivors in damaged buildings. “Arguably, the city was protecting its ruins from looters more conscientiously than it was looking for people trapped in them,” Mooallem writes.

Sounds conscienceless, this behavior; property before people. But that’s pretty much at the core what our government protects.

quote:

Disaster researchers call this phenomenon “elite panic.” When authorities believe their own citizens will become dangerous, they begin to focus on controlling the public, rather than on addressing the disaster itself. They clamp down on information, restrict freedom of movement, and devote unnecessary energy to enforcing laws they assume are about to be broken.

If reason one is that the state fears citizen panic during disasters, reason two is that it reasonably fears an overturning of the state during certain disasters. The coming climate crisis is a perfect example.

For more fun reading, check out: Elite Panic vs. the Resilient Populace

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Sep 22, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

None of this would be happening if we hadn't built a civ in the biosphere. Rookie mistake, really.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

None of this would be happening if we hadn't built a civ in the biosphere. Rookie mistake, really.

I'm not in the biosphere.. I'm indoors.. :confused:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Always save a backup biosphere before making changes. Amateurs smh

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo that’s nuts. Not even trying to hide their real priorities

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Erghh posted:

from weatherdamerung

quote:

Researchers in Sweden have discovered that large amounts of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas, is leaking from unusual depths of the Baltic Sea seabed.

In a recent expedition, researchers at Stockholm University and Linne University detected methane bubbles rising up 370 metres (1,200 feet) from the seabed, a stark contrast to the expected 150-200 metres.

The gas bubbles were found in a 20-square-kilometre (77-square-miles) area off of Sweden’s southeastern coast.

“We know that methane gas can bubble up from shallow seabeds near the Baltic Sea coast, but I’ve never seen such intense bubbles before – and definitely not from such a deep area,” said researcher Christian Stranne, member of the research project, in a statement from Stockholm University.

*Chanting, stomping my feet, crying*

Clathrate gun! Clathrate gun! Clathrate gun!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/SaraHor76174949/status/1705225568982065329

Angry cattle ranchers burn down rainforest restoration project because grass feed for cows is more important than any sort of biodiversity.

NO MY OFFSETS NOOOOOO

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1705345488545886292

quote:

Extreme Temperatures Around The World
@extremetemps
South America Heat Wave day #2:
Highest temperature today was 43.6C at Villamontes in Bolivia.
Exceptionally hot nights in some areas with a Tmin of 29.5C at Establecimiento Miguel y Jesús in Paraguay.

Tomorrow the heat will intensify and spread in area and reach historic levels

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

MightyBigMinus posted:

no you go insane first, lol lmao is when you come to terms with it via cackling nihilism

this is the way

soundsection
May 10, 2010

Harik posted:

no, that's a different, darker path. one where you start snorting ever larger piles of copium and obsessing over carbon capture technology and lashing out when anyone talks about our objective reality because it risks shattering your head-in-the-sand worldview that everything is going to be JUST FINE.

its not this, its going from lol lmao to thinking too much about all the loving penguins. ill stop doing that and get some regular doom back into me and flip back into lol lmao mode again.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

oops! all accelerants!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

The Oldest Man posted:

NO MY OFFSETS NOOOOOO

oh, don't worry then. Your carbon offsets are fine and you can buy even more from the same land when they replant.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Harik posted:

oh, don't worry then. Your carbon offsets are fine and you can buy even more from the same land when they replant.

"when they replant"

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

What's that going to do to the supply of capitalist greed powder?

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Mr Beast save us we need more of your trees

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

keep honking, i'm replanting

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Harik posted:

Hit Man posted:

"when they replant"

Starting an offset creation startup where we buy and then destroy forests to create cheap carbon offset investment opportunities

Actually we just threaten to do that and then keep the money

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MightyBigMinus posted:

no you go insane first, lol lmao is when you come to terms with it via cackling nihilism

Nihilism is for emotionally stunted weirdos, Absurdism is the sigma mindset.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuSPdsPWit0

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/colinreads/status/1705263873828274213?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol the point of corn ethanol was never about environment or pollution. did anyone actually ever think otherwise??

It was strictly, and intended, to be a big handout to big ag farming in Iowa and Ohio for political reasons to ensure a donor base was well lubed up

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Hit Man posted:

"when they replant"

it comes down to who makes more money in the short term. Selling carbon offsets is pretty profitable.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

starkebn posted:

Yeah, it's been okay here so far, will probably stay that way. I mean it's flooded twice in the last 15 years but everything went back to normal each time, I don't see why we can't just keep doing that.

A decent amount of the area I grew up in burned down a few years ago, not like the whole thing but enough to be a pretty serious crisis. If you look on the regional subreddit, you’ll see a lot of posts about “hey i wanna move there what should I know” and people being all “well a lot of places burned down the other year and that really did a number on rental prices so be ready for that, also the smoke season has been really bad these last few years, also welcome to the area we have great kayaking”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

skooma512 posted:

I wonder at what point people start harming the ranchers flocks and the ranchers themselves. They seem to think they’re entitled to unlimited rainforest land.

hm. hang on, i think i might know someone building bombs for cows, i'll ask them