Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Very sad to see my man Takayasu drop out of the lead, hype as hell to see my boy Atamifuji retain it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I, for one, am lending Takayasu my power and hoping he recovers from this. Unfortunately it looked like he hurt his back :(

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Atamifuji seems kinda rad, what's his deal?

Also does the slope of the dohyo come into play in decisions? Like if both guys are falling but one of them is over the edge so he hits the ground later does he win? Idk if I'm explainig this well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kenning posted:

Day 8 standings
code:
19	Crusty Nutsack

Kenning posted:

Day 9 standings
code:
19	Crusty Nutsack

never trade :negative:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Atamifuji seems kinda rad, what's his deal?

Only his second top division appearance, when he last competed at makuuchi he was wet behind the ears and went 4-11, was hurt the next Basho in juryo then went on a 3 tournament run, with a Juryo Yusho in July to get himself back at the top table. Still a youngster, but super strong and versatile with tons of potential.

He looked outright dominant at times in July but now he's looking like he's adjusted to the step up in physicality as well, exciting!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
On the opposite end, you have Hokuseiho who looks weak even when he wins as of late.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kuros posted:

On the opposite end, you have Hokuseiho who looks weak even when he wins as of late.

Shishi takes the cake for this. Dude looks like poo poo 80% of the time, but he wins fairly often.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really hope that Shishi becomes the next Tochinoshin. He's got a ton of potential.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

Day 10: I really need to get better at Japanese so I can understand the shimpan decisions. I'm guessing that they did a torinaoshi for the Ura/Keisho match because of the dead body rule that I still don't quite understand? This helps my fantasy team but also hurts because I love watching Ura get the most bizarre of wins.
The judge said they hit at the same time, which is such loving bullshit I still can't believe it. They showed the goddamn slo-mo footage of Takakeisho touching down as the judge was calling a do-over! Fuuuck that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Posting Takayasu content in order to send him all the good vibes

https://i.imgur.com/FIsPsfF.gifv

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I was at the tournament yesterday! I didn't know anything about sumo, but I'm in Tokyo for a vacation and decided to go. I was extremely jetlagged but despite that it was very cool. I attended the preliminary bouts in the morning (the crowd consisted of about two dozen diehard Japanese fans, a few photographers, and maybe 50 other foreigners who probably also misunderstood how the schedule worked), missed the juryo bouts, but got back in time for the makuuchi bouts where the arena was packed.

It was a lot of fun. The ratio of prep time to match time wasn't great in my opinion (given the lack of variety in the prep rituals), but the matches were incredible to see in person.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Great photos--thanks for sharing them! Sounds like you had a great time, even knowing nothing about the sport. Sumo is like that. :)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Being a retired Japanese dude with nothing to do every day but hang out at the basho morning to night for 2 weeks every couple months would be pretty nice life.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Favor to ask of the experts here, can you identify these two wrestlers? Who's in silver and who's in purple? Thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/7PRawmu.mp4

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

surf rock posted:

Favor to ask of the experts here, can you identify these two wrestlers? Who's in silver and who's in purple? Thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/7PRawmu.mp4

Think thats Hokutofuji in silver and Tobizaru in lavender.

Tobi looks a lot bigger from that angle :D

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

surf rock posted:

I was at the tournament yesterday! I didn't know anything about sumo, but I'm in Tokyo for a vacation and decided to go. I was extremely jetlagged but despite that it was very cool. I attended the preliminary bouts in the morning (the crowd consisted of about two dozen diehard Japanese fans, a few photographers, and maybe 50 other foreigners who probably also misunderstood how the schedule worked), missed the juryo bouts, but got back in time for the makuuchi bouts where the arena was packed.

It was a lot of fun. The ratio of prep time to match time wasn't great in my opinion (given the lack of variety in the prep rituals), but the matches were incredible to see in person.

Amazing photos. Glad you had fun. After watching sumo for a while, you find the pre match rituals are very much part of the fight. It's their chance to gently caress with each other.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Think thats Hokutofuji in silver and Tobizaru in lavender.

Tobi looks a lot bigger from that angle :D

Thank you!!

Marching Powder posted:

Amazing photos. Glad you had fun. After watching sumo for a while, you find the pre match rituals are very much part of the fight. It's their chance to gently caress with each other.

I'm watching some of today's bouts on my hotel room TV, and this part of it is definitely clearer in zoomed-in high definition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ha! I had the same buttcrack seats in May -- I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Everyone who loves sumo should get to see it live, it's a whole different twist on what you already love.

Did you go early or show up for Juryo++? I swear the day just flies by, I remember getting there for the day's first bouts, grabbing a beer when concessions open at 11 and the next thing I know they're doing the juryo dohyo-iri.

God dang I'm missing it now :unsmith:

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
ATAMIFUJI

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Nice pics surf rock. I was exactly you four years ago when I went to the Nagoya basho on a whim and popped into the sumo thread for the first time as a complete newbie. Keep watching and join us in fantasy sumo next tourney!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kuros posted:

It looks like the guy’s barely trying, but I guess someone of that size just moves differently

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Eldoop posted:

ATAMIFUJI

I know, right?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I think Ura is losing on purpose so can do flips.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Every basho someone gets suckered in by Week One Takayasu and never remembers Week Two Takayasu.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lid posted:

Every basho someone gets suckered in by Week One Takayasu and never remembers Week Two Takayasu.

I'm a Takayasu Enthusiast. I always pick him. Performance is irrelevant; Papayasu is love. Papayasu is life.

Also I'm pretty sure he tweaked his back really badly in the Atamifuji match and I'm concerned we may not see another win from him all basho. At least he got his KK first this time!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Taffy Torpedo posted:

I think Ura is losing on purpose so can do flips.

they're pretty sick

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

HAKUHO on the Abema broadcast hell yeah

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Catching up on day 11 and I gotta say AOIYAMA and Hokuseiho put on quite the show. Spirited scrambling by Big Dan and I loved the huge overhand slap by Hokuseiho. Definitely the most fighting spirit Aoiyama has shown in a while.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thought you guys might appreciate this.

My mum recently gave me the banzukehyo that she had from the Showa 63 Fukuoka tournament that she had framed up way back then. She never put it up on the wall because it "didn't match her taste."

I'll need to recentre it in the frame, I just noticed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

edogawa rando posted:

My mum recently gave me the banzukehyo that she had from the Showa 63 Fukuoka tournament that she had framed up way back then. She never put it up on the wall because it "didn't match her taste."

holy poo poo this rules. what a cool thing to be gifted.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mom rules

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

edogawa rando posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, this banzuke is the last appearance of Futahaguro before he was forced to retire as the first yokozuna who never won a tournament. As they go, this is a fairly historic document! Very cool.

surf rock posted:

I was at the tournament yesterday!

Looks incredible! Great you decided to check out sumo while you were in Japan, catching a day of a basho in person is a dream of mine. Welcome to the thread, please ask any questions you have, it's a very fun sport to follow and we're all keen to talk about it at length lol.

Basho totally popping off! I'm sorry I've missed a couple day's of daily standings, since things have been swinging so dramatically. I personally went from 10 off the lead to 2 off the lead in those three days. Gotta get back to it heading into the final weekend! I just want to see more Ura acrobatics tbh.

Day 12 standings

Makuuchi
code:
42	Communist Thoughts
41	Banana Canada
41	Tiny Bug Child
41	Vargatron
40	Brut
40	Kenning
39	Thauros
37	anakha
37	Khizan
37	NuclearPotato
37	pseudodragon
37	Teddybear
36.5	Helianthus Annuus
36	captainblastum
36	MyChemicalImbalance
36	Pakled
36	Robviously
35	bessantj
35	whats for dinner
34	Mode 7
33.5	Ice Phisherman
33	Charles Gnarwin
33	GoatSeeGuy
31	bartolimu
30.5	Fluffdaddy
29.5	Iron Chef Nex
28.5	Kuros
27.5	LlamaTrauma
27.5	Marching Powder
27	Crusty Nutsack
25	Akiosan
24	Jobbo_Fett
23.5	Saturnine Aberrance
22.5	Chinook
Juryo
code:
43	oldskool
41	Lid
40	The Postman
40	ullerrm
39	Beexoffel
39	Eldoop
38	Average Lettuce
38	Nativity In Black
36	Ben Nerevarine
35	Samuel L. Hacksaw
35	Xerzes
34.5	Dead Goon
34.5	Liquid Communism
34	Fearless
33.5	Medenmath
33.5	NTRabbit
32.5	Boogalo
32	FART BOSS
31.5	Flinger
31.5	Log082
31.5	ratmosphere
31	Bentai
31	PJ
30	Takuan
29	QuasiQuack
29	Single Tight Female
27.5	ImplicitAssembler

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Day 12: I never stopped believing in Takayasu

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo that banzuke RULES, your mom is a legend!

I have banzuke from my 2020 and 2023 trips that I still need to get framed. Maybe my nieces or nephews will be as wowed to own the last banzuke with Tochinoshin's shikona in 30 or 40 years :unsmith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day 12: lmao gently caress off Abi, I hate this clown so much
Day 13: Nice to see we'll have at least two non-kadoban Ozeki in November. Still hope Hoshoryu can pull out two wins though!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Day 13: Takakeisho wants that yusho so bad he can taste it.

Prop bet for the thread: Is Shodai going 8/7 or 7/8?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

It seems like Shonannoumi either does something really cool or loses in two seconds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Prop bet for the thread: Is Shodai going 8/7 or 7/8?

how about this:

If Shodai goes 7/8 I will donate 50 dollars to my local animal shelter on Sunday
If Shodai goes 8/7 I will donate 5,000 cents to my local animal shelter on Sunday

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Kenning posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, this banzuke is the last appearance of Futahaguro before he was forced to retire as the first yokozuna who never won a tournament. As they go, this is a fairly historic document! Very cool.
I don't see him on there, sadly - the yokozunae are Chiyonofuji, Onokuni, and Hokutoumi. I think his last basho was Fukuoka in Showa 62 and this is Showa 63 (1987 vs 1988)?

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

Jonidan 37 Sakurai (Naruto stable) retires at 30, his buddies wait for him in the hanamichi
https://twitter.com/ryogokulove/status/1705068653534933203

Edit
There is currently a seven-way tie for Makushita lead, with all of them at 6-1.

code:
Hitoshi		West Makushita #3
Kitadaichi	West Makushita #17
Kayo		West Makushita #23
Asahakuryu	West Makushita #27
Chiyoarashi	West Makushita #47
Daiseizan	East Makushita #50
Onojo		West Makushita #53

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 22, 2023