Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Russian victory day billboards would often feature stuff like Tiger tanks, a US battleship or F-15's or...

...Finnish reindeer cavalry...

...or some Luftwaffe bomber crew. I think it's a nice gesture when some institution supposed to be very nationalist does this - "look we are all alike, who knows why we ever had wars?" Right?

An AI would of course never get such a deep understanding of our brotherhood of man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Last week, it was Swedish airplanes in a birthday congratulations post to the Air Force.

The Russian version of that is to have Victory Day celebration use stock images that are either wermacht or the flag raising on Iwo Jima.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Family Values posted:

I was kind of just laughing at the absurdity of this right up until the last couple of paragraphs where they start talking about "fixing" San Francisco. Whatever fixing or rehabilitation SF may or may not need, I shudder to think what an 'effective accelerationist' has in mind.

Probably something like whatever the League of Shadows was going for in Batman Begins

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shooting Blanks posted:

Another way of saying this is that it's a way of obfuscating the company/CEO's actual performance.

"Sorry folks, we're looking at a few down quarters because

This is the point where the investors stop listening and start to mash the "new CEO" button

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Volmarias posted:

This is the point where the investors stop listening and start to mash the "new CEO" button

The old "Sorry! Don't say another word! It is not me, it's you" breakup.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mega Comrade posted:

When chatgpt released you had people posting amazing results on twitter before even realising what they were posting was incorrect. Experts in their field posting obvious errors as so amazed at this tool that they didn't stop to check what it gave them.

Google bards announcement demo had a hallucination in it

Microsoft bings had something like 5.

Even the people making these tools get fooled by hallucinations

Indeed, the things seem, intentionally or not to be tuned to be exceedingly good at that.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, current AI modeling is this close to that old one about 1,000 monkeys on 10,000 typewriters isn't it?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SpeakSlow posted:

Holy poo poo, current AI modeling is this close to that old one about 1,000 monkeys on 10,000 typewriters isn't it?

I think it's "1000 monkeys, 1000 typewriters, 1000 years", and yeah it's a useful way to model it at a high level.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That's actually exactly what it is. 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters and the somebody with zero knowledge of the language being used looking at each page and decided whether or not it looks like comprehensible language.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Time being relative in cyberspace.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's actually exactly what it is. 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters and the somebody with zero knowledge of the language being used looking at each page and decided whether or not it looks like comprehensible language.

With a selection layer tuned to make the perfect glib bullshitter.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
It's closer to 1000 monkeys sitting in a room arguing what word should come next in a sentence.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

StratGoatCom posted:

With a selection layer tuned to make the perfect glib bullshitter.

I was thinking about how to extend the analogy a bit more... give 1000 monkeys 1000 typewriters and 1000 years, but also:
- They're locked into their seats and are required to type continuously.
- Someone is reviewing every page they write.
- Every time they write something that looks like human writing, they get a reward.
- Every time they write something that doesn't look like human writing, they get a shock.
- The yardstick used to measure "does this look human?" is whether it seems like something that would have been written on the internet.

After the 1000 years, you have a room full of monkeys whose behavior has been tuned to write something human-ish when you ask them to do it. They still don't understand *what* they're writing.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The monkeys might accidentally produce something new, but generative algorithms will only ever produce an interpolation of something(s) in the training set.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Apparently George R.R. Martin and some others are very mad about OpenAI making works in their style. Naturally, they're asking for a gazillion dollars. I just assume it's another excuse for GRRM to not finish Winds of Winter, and make sure no one else does either.

quote:

The org cited a recent attempt to generate volumes 6 and 7 of Martin’s “Game of Thrones” series “A Song of Ice and Fire,” as well as “numerous AI-generated books that have been posted on Amazon that attempt to pass themselves off as human-generated and seek to profit off a human author’s hard-earned reputation.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Apparently George R.R. Martin and some others are very mad about OpenAI making works in their style. Naturally, they're asking for a gazillion dollars. I just assume it's another excuse for GRRM to not finish Winds of Winter, and make sure no one else does either.

It's not just "making works in their style". The Author's Guild has found that works by those authors, as well as many others, are present in ChatGPT's dataset to the point where it was able to provide verbatim snippets of parts of the books, at least until OpenAI put a specific block on asking it to provide actual snippets from books. Even then, it's still able to write accurate summaries of the books as well as to generate plausible sequels. Given that these books were not licensed to OpenAI, the Author's Guild suspects that OpenAI included the contents of an ebook piracy site in the training set.

As such, the Author's Guild is filing a class-action lawsuit against OpenAI on behalf of everyone who owns the copyright to any book.

It's not like this isn't causing real harm to writers. They're already seeing job losses to LLMs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/02/ai-taking-jobs/

quote:

When ChatGPT came out last November, Olivia Lipkin, a 25-year-old copywriter in San Francisco, didn’t think too much about it. Then articles about how to use the chatbot on the job began appearing on internal Slack groups at the tech start-up where she worked as the company’s only writer.

Over the next few months, Lipkin’s assignments dwindled. Managers began referring to her as “Olivia/ChatGPT” on Slack. In April, she was let go without explanation, but when she found managers writing about how using ChatGPT was cheaper than paying a writer, the reason for her layoff seemed clear.

“Whenever people brought up ChatGPT, I felt insecure and anxious that it would replace me,” she said. “Now I actually had proof that it was true, that those anxieties were warranted and now I was actually out of a job because of AI.”

quote:

Eric Fein ran his content-writing business for 10 years, charging $60 an hour to write everything from 150-word descriptions of bath mats to website copy for cannabis companies. The 34-year-old from Bloomingdale, Ill., built a steady business with 10 ongoing contracts, which made up half of his annual income and provided a comfortable life for his wife and 2-year-old son.

But in March, Fein received a note from his largest client: His services would no longer be needed because the company would be transitioning to ChatGPT. One by one, Fein’s nine other contracts were canceled for the same reason. His entire copywriting business was gone nearly overnight.

“It wiped me out,” Fein said. He urged his clients to reconsider, warning that ChatGPT couldn’t write content with his level of creativity, technical precision and originality. He said his clients understood that, but they told him it was far cheaper to use ChatGPT than to pay him his hourly wage.

Fein was rehired by one of his clients, who wasn’t pleased with ChatGPT’s work. But it isn’t enough to sustain him and his family, who have a little over six months of financial runway before they run out of money.

Now, Fein has decided to pursue a job that AI can’t do, and he has enrolled in courses to become an HVAC technician. Next year, he plans to train to become a plumber.

“A trade is more future-proof,” he said.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah it's fun to make fun of gurm for never ever finishing his most popular work, but it's a legit gripe.

All of these LLMs sucked up all the copyrighted stuff and now spit it out. It's all copies of something a human came up with.

Shades of the original Luddites who were mad that the patterns and weaving techniques were being stolen by the capitalists to use in the machines without paying them or compensating them.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The entire point of ChatGPT and associated LLMs seems to be for-profit copyright theft on a massive scale, so it's not surprising that the major creators are suing. Eventually they'll figure out a legal argument that works and ChatGPT will be bankrupted, but something else will take its place. The commercial benefit of copying other people's works and passing them off as your own is too obvious to ignore.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Kaal posted:

The entire point of ChatGPT and associated LLMs seems to be for-profit copyright theft on a massive scale, so it's not surprising that the major creators are suing. Eventually they'll figure out a legal argument that works and ChatGPT will be bankrupted, but something else will take its place. The commercial benefit of copying other people's works and passing them off as your own is too obvious to ignore.

The Adobe approach of only including explicitly authorized content in the training set seems fine, and the likely future path. And those tools will only produce very generic looking results, but will save some time for the actual artist using the tool. That just isn't the hyperbolic, disruptive, 'machines smarter than people we're approaching theAI singularity!' fantasy that's being pushed by the marketers and VCs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If I was going to suspect anybody namechecked in that article was the driving force behind the lawsuit, its probably John Grisham. Dude pumps out legal thriller books like a coked out Stephen King. People might be trying to fill the void of Books 6 and 7 by making AI fanfic using OpenAI, but churning out airport thrillers by copying the combined works of the airport thriller "heres-another-book-gently caress-you-pay-me" author is unwise at best.

E: like, yes the authors guild is the one filing suit, but there's no way grrm is the one complaining the most when a dude with 50+ releases in 30 years or whatever is on the list of names involved

bawk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 21, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's the same thing every time there's something like this. See coverage of the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strike, they love focusing on the big famous actors and writers, some of whom are rich and aren't suffering too much from not being paid for months, instead of those who are risking everything on maybe being able to put food on the table regularly by writing and/or acting without working the equivalent of two full-time jobs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not just "making works in their style". The Author's Guild has found that works by those authors, as well as many others, are present in ChatGPT's dataset to the point where it was able to provide verbatim snippets of parts of the books, at least until OpenAI put a specific block on asking it to provide actual snippets from books. Even then, it's still able to write accurate summaries of the books as well as to generate plausible sequels. Given that these books were not licensed to OpenAI, the Author's Guild suspects that OpenAI included the contents of an ebook piracy site in the training set.

In addition to this, there are junk books (usually written by AI) being published using the names of actual authors too and the response from Amazon tends to be "is your name trademarked? No? Oh well." Followed by radio silence because addressing the problem would take effort and if they aren't being forced to fix it they won't.

bawk posted:

If I was going to suspect anybody namechecked in that article was the driving force behind the lawsuit, its probably John Grisham. Dude pumps out legal thriller books like a coked out Stephen King.

King was 100% coked out in his early days and it's not exactly a secret.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah cool so even books from amazon have dropshit fake stuff?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bringing new meaning to keysmash brands

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

ah cool so even books from amazon have dropshit fake stuff?

Just yesterday, Amazon introduced a new cap on how many "self-published" e-books someone can upload per day, in hopes that it'll help to at least somewhat curb the endless flood of AI-generated books being sold on Amazon.

It's not just Amazon, either. Pretty much any platform that lets you submit your own stories and has a system for you to be paid for those stories is being inundated by ChatGPT'd stories.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ive been using amazon less and less, and going to other sites for my stuff because of the massive flood of identical dropshipped crap when you search anything. Other companies now ship quickly and free too. I wonder if this will actually start hitting their business at any point.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not sure about this, but i'm not sure how much of amazon's revenue comes from their ecommerce site/prime at this point. nowadays i'd guess their largest source of revenue comes from aws, and by a huge amount.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

not sure about this, but i'm not sure how much of amazon's revenue comes from their ecommerce site/prime at this point. nowadays i'd guess their largest source of revenue comes from aws, and by a huge amount.

According to some random Listical I found, AWS is very profitable but they're still making most of their revenue on the retail side.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OctaMurk posted:

Ive been using amazon less and less, and going to other sites for my stuff because of the massive flood of identical dropshipped crap when you search anything. Other companies now ship quickly and free too. I wonder if this will actually start hitting their business at any point.

Amazon's retail has 2 major strengths over everyone else at this point:

- Momentum/market dominance
- It's the everything store

A ton of people have gotten used to the idea that when they need new AC filters, new sheets, a bike lock, batteries, and a guitar case, they can do it all at once with their existing Amazon login that already has their address, CC info, and shipping preferences saved. They don't have to drive all over town to get everything, or hunt for the best price at a dozen other sites.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

abelwingnut posted:

I read (sorry, no cite) that their largest source of revenue in the store is selling drop-shippers various 'services' to improve where they land in searches.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Speaking of Amazon. Looks like the "give free stuff to get people onto prime" is coming to an end in some ways.

Cos who doesn't like adverts!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66887717

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Now that’s what I call a value ad!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Mega Comrade posted:

Speaking of Amazon. Looks like the "give free stuff to get people onto prime" is coming to an end in some ways.

Cos who doesn't like adverts!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66887717

Prime video has been garbage for a long time now. Half the listings are for rent/buy stuff or "free with ads". That they want $3/mo more to keep the same "quality" is absurd. That with how garbage their store front has become will get me cancelling my prime subscription versus just coasting with it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Raldikuk posted:

Prime video has been garbage for a long time now. Half the listings are for rent/buy stuff or "free with ads". That they want $3/mo more to keep the same "quality" is absurd. That with how garbage their store front has become will get me cancelling my prime subscription versus just coasting with it.

There are a handful of shows/movies I enjoy (or have enjoyed on there), but nothing I can't live without, personally. I'm looking forward to the next season of The Boys, and upcoming shows I'd like to check out are Fallout (mildly interested) and Anansi Boys (very interested) - but overall I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Amazon just gets added now to the queue of mediocre streaming services you rotate through one at a time to binge whatever few things they have worth watching.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

When are they going to figure out how to lock you into a streaming service for months or years at a time?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Last Chance posted:

When are they going to figure out how to lock you into a streaming service for months or years at a time?

well, part of the current government case against amazon is that they made prime very difficult to cancel, so they probably wont touch that particular idea for a while

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

Signing up for a 1 year contract but being able to pay the total contract price in 12 easy payments has been a thing forever. I think Adobe has gotten that figured out because now and then you see a story about how someone buys into a 1 yr Creative Cloud plan just to use Photoshop for 1 month and then canceling and being surprised they have to pay the remainder of the balance immediately.

So all Netflix et Al have to do is superhike their monthly subscription from $15 or whatever to $30 to discourage people from subbing to it, and offer a !!! 50% !!! discounted yearly subscription for $150 payable in 12 easy payments (with the remainder due if you break the terms early).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 22, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Stexils posted:

well, part of the current government case against amazon is that they made prime very difficult to cancel, so they probably wont touch that particular idea for a while

I don't know when it changed, or if it's just different in Australia, but when I had a few Prime subscription payments go for a few months that I didn't want and didn't use I called the support number and they refunded them no questions asked. Took less than 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
Google maps is being sued over a fatal error that directed a man to a destroyed bridge. The man drove off the bridge and drowned. It was pitch black night and the destroyed bridge wasn't barricaded because previous barricades had been vandalized and removed. Also, Google maps was sent complaints for months (at least) about the error and never fixed it.

The people who own the property with the destroyed bridge are also being sued.

I am not a lawyer and have no idea how these lawsuits will play out, but I think "navigation aid directs you to your death" counts as a tech nightmare.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/lawsuit-says-man-died-after-google-maps-directed-him-over-collapsed-bridge/