Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I have a Ghost in the Shell question! In the latest series, season 2 (SAC 2045) the protagonists eventually are confronted with a US marines (or navy seal) team. Are they supposed to be people IN the suits or are they robots/AI like the tachikoma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a world with cyberbrains aren't we all just wearing suitsshells around our ghosts?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
They don't talk at all. It makes sense since they are conducting an illegal military assault in a foreign country, but I feel like that's an indicator that they are robots in GITS.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't remember, is nata a character who appeared before? there are a lot of fuckin' characters in this story.
Yes

it was nata’s body that the director had here brain transferred to after she lost her arms to tokio.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well. ain't that hosed up.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Record of Ragnarok Chapter 81

Big fan of Geirölul.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Welp, it's over for Leonidas now. He did a cool comeback attack without finishing off the enemy at the end of the chapter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its still just the second chapter of the fight and leonidas is still being played as the underdog.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No flashbacks yet, fight's barely underway

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Recently read Yankee Juku e Iku, it was really good and short. (35 chapters) A lot of "delinquent" media seems to last a really long time, but the brevity was really good here. The author did a lot of show instead of tell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dipwood posted:

Recently read Yankee Juku e Iku, it was really good and short. (35 chapters) A lot of "delinquent" media seems to last a really long time, but the brevity was really good here. The author did a lot of show instead of tell.

Sounds interesting, thanks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So after this the remaining fighters are

For Mortals, Soji Okita, Grigori Rasputin, Simo Häyhä, Michel de Nostradame, and Sakata no Kintoki.
For Gods, Odin, Loki, Anubis, and Susanoo no Mikato.

Cause Buddha stepped in Humanity has an extra champion.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

3 new chapters of lockup

https://mangadex.org/chapter/b47822c3-a745-4460-89aa-a9a4f849409c

wasnt expecting things to escalate like this.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's been a long time, but a new chapter of The Bugle Call just dropped.

Beloved Empress

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Squidster posted:

Beloved Empress

And she is nerfed compared to her prime years

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This series is really good at payoffs. When the story builds up two titans about to duke it out, you can rest assured that showdown is going to rule.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I know the Garland is capable of dropping meteors on people but the Mirror Knight is going to be a tough act to follow up on. She's just as huge a logistical nightmare as the main characters RTS powers but she also can fight on her own.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Hilario Baldness posted:

Reading 'Blood on the Tracks' right now and it's amazing psychological horror.

I hardly read manga, but this one is good enough that I want all 153 chapters as a complete set in English. Since I'm not familiar, does anyone know the best place I should be watching for something like that to appear?

And yes, the story has just concluded at chapter 153. That was a five year run; the most any Oshimi manga ran before this was 4 years.

It has a very "cinematic" feel to it. I could easily see a Japanese series or movie made out of it. It would look very good as well animated the way Uzumaki is going to be, where it looks exactly like the manga, but is animated.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Bula Vinaka posted:

I hardly read manga, but this one is good enough that I want all 153 chapters as a complete set in English. Since I'm not familiar, does anyone know the best place I should be watching for something like that to appear?

Do you mean like, as a box set? Because the English physical release is currently up to Volume 14. They're are all readily available and can all be bought right now, just individually.

Otherwise, there's no box set or anything currently. Blood on the Tracks is published by Vertical, now wholly owned by Kodansha, so if you want to keep an eye out their twitter account is probably a good bet. They usually group up announcements by season, with their Fall announcements usually in Oct or Nov.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Blood On The Tracks: Can't say I'm satisfied with this ending. The idea that this is the best he can do for himself. Doesn't seem to be able to make relationships still. At least he doesn't want to kill himself anymore. I guess.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Squidster posted:

Beloved Empress

how have i not heard of this manga until now? holy poo poo this is good

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

It straight up rules. I don't know why it hasn't caught on like wildfire.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

quote:

One fateful day, however, Lucas's latent powers awaken and his life takes a drastic turn. Under the guidance of the Pope

Kind of sounds generic but I guess I'll give it a shot, read a few chap-

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I thought the manga was set in medieval/renaissance Italy, just with ~secret magic powers~, for far too long until I saw that chap. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 19, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dipwood posted:

Blood On The Tracks: Can't say I'm satisfied with this ending. The idea that this is the best he can do for himself. Doesn't seem to be able to make relationships still. At least he doesn't want to kill himself anymore. I guess.

I think thats the point.
That it doesnt have to be some huge cathartic moment with huge life success after he overcame his trauma.That it was enough that his life and thoughts arent dominated by it anymore, and that he found his own peace.

After having so much of the manga be close-ups (sometimes distorted) of his mothers face, him forgetting her into a formless fog is a Powerful Artistic Message

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm not saying I don't get the point, just that I personally feel bad for him.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Where do I start with Go Nagai? I know his name from Devilman, but is it his best work?

Squidster posted:

Beloved Empress

This is super cool. Excited to read more.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm not an expert but I think his big 3 series are Devilman, Mazinger Z, and Cutie Honey, so start with those and see what you want more of. I think they all have multiple sequals, prequals, and spinoffs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Blood on the Tracks: Checked it out due to this thread. That wasn't very light or very pleasant read. Well, gently caress. :smith:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 23, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

I'm not an expert but I think his big 3 series are Devilman, Mazinger Z, and Cutie Honey, so start with those and see what you want more of. I think they all have multiple sequals, prequals, and spinoffs.

Cutie honey is culturally important,but I wouldn't really say that it's good. Probably better to stick with Devilman and Mazinger

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

manga wise for go nagai after devilman you are going to want to read violence jack

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
mazinger as a manga isn't that hot either. very short and kind of all over the place. it took off on TV, but the toei anime isn't great either; the best mazinger content is all scattered anime and fun SRW reinterpretations.

devilman rules though

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable: second contract volume 7

these rumour-affiliated killers really getting up to some villain poo poo :blastu:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
God bless the fable bois & gals

Weird seeing Suzuki-Sasaki show back up like that and I love how spooky everyone in fable looks in their masks

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 22, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

mazinger as a manga isn't that hot either. very short and kind of all over the place. it took off on TV, but the toei anime isn't great either; the best mazinger content is all scattered anime and fun SRW reinterpretations.

devilman rules though

Mazinger starts good, but then it becomes basically a promo for the TV show with no real focus of it's own. It's kind of disappointing.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Blood on the Tracks: Check it out due to this thread. That wasn't very light or very pleasant read. Well, gently caress. :smith:

Yeah it was a very dark read. I'm actually alright with the ending. It took a lot of years but he finally got over the abusive influence of his mother, and that's that.

Hilario Baldness fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 22, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

About the last volume of The Fable: have we met the guy that betrayed Rumor before? I haven't reread in some time and his name sounds familiar but I can't recall.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Tosk posted:

About the last volume of The Fable: have we met the guy that betrayed Rumor before? I haven't reread in some time and his name sounds familiar but I can't recall.

sasaki/suzuki is from way back. he was working with disgraced former yakuza utsubo on extortion schemes, and ran afoul of satou and youko when him and utsubo targeted satou and misaki’s pervert coworker at octopass (the one that had an obsession with/was secretly filming misaki). he got outclassed during an encounter with youko that left him with a lasting impression, and was imperative to the resolution of the arc by operating an excavator to hold down the mine that would have blown off wheelchair girl’s legs. he left on good terms with the gang, good to see him again.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Lt. Lizard posted:

Blood on the Tracks: Checked it out due to this thread. That wasn't very light or very pleasant read. Well, gently caress. :smith:

"The manga that breaks you."

Theory: Seiko probably has undiagnosed borderline personality disorder. Also, I think Oshimi is trying to show that introverted people are often persecuted in Japan not just by peers, but also family, and it can ruin people over multiple generations.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I get the impression from manga that mental health is basically a joke in Japan.