Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby born. Finally taking a snooze with her mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
congrats!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey congrats! Any other ominous portents when she was born?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Baby born. Finally taking a snooze with her mom

hell yeah

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

Hey congrats! Any other ominous portents when she was born?

My wife's spine is made out of bedrock and they couldn't give her either the spinal or epidural.
She slept through the birth of her first child
(I have to make this joke here where she'll never see it)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also fifty birds flew into the window but I'm sure that's just maintenance

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Email from kindergarten

"...
He shares a lot of thoughts. This is great. However, he talks over me frequently while I am giving directions or teaching. I have to redirect him many times during learning time and active learning as well.
..."

Yep that sounds like him 😬

Not sure what to do about this except rush seeking an ADHD diagnosis bc that seems pretty likely.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter is showing some interest in learning to read. It's early, no rush on it or anything, but I was an early reader too so I like the idea of encouraging her. Thing is, I have very little idea how to do that other than sounding out words for her and stuff. Does anybody have recommendations for like a tablet game or something to help teach reading?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Teach Your Monster To Read is a fun app/game for kids to learn sounding out vowels and different letter pairs.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Teach Your Monster To Read is a fun app/game for kids to learn sounding out vowels and different letter pairs.

vouch

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This and Khan academy kids are v good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks guys, will check that out :tipshat:

We already use Khan Academy Kids, which is great, the only issue is that she can too easily skip over all the puzzles and just watch the cartoon things

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My 1 year old is getting her first tooth and she looks like Harold from Hey Arnold

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark, the libraries have these awesome books for beginners that I definitely recommend. I think the easiest is max 2 letter words, all spelled as they sound. I'm assuming Norway has the same. It's also pretty impressive that they manage to tell somewhat coherent stories like that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby gets a taste of booba, passes out
Remove sleeping baby to crib, demands booba

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Baby gets a taste of booba, passes out
Remove sleeping baby to crib, demands booba

Baby has two desires: eating and sleeping. Evidently, both can be done at the same time, so why are you loving it up?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1703406775687422330

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

BonHair posted:

Baby has two desires: eating and sleeping. Evidently, both can be done at the same time, so why are you loving it up?

Wife figured this out months ago, and feeds our daughter while sleeping instead of waking her up. Ours is a 100% formula baby though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Blowout poop into pissed on while changing into spitup. Hit by all three

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
The unholy trifecta.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have renamed this kid Kudi in the hope she learns Day/Night

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Took our kids to Legoland today and have so far spent the whole morning waiting in line for progressively lamer rides which my three-year-old has first insisted on riding but then thrown a tantrum and refused to actually ride every time

I just had to do an early exit from the Duplo Express because she chickened out of a train ride for babies

My wife was apparently also like this as a kid, I dunno how to handle it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our actual baby has done more stuff at Legoland than either his sister or me, because he was unable to chicken out of the carousel

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

Took our kids to Legoland today and have so far spent the whole morning waiting in line for progressively lamer rides which my three-year-old has first insisted on riding but then thrown a tantrum and refused to actually ride every time

I just had to do an early exit from the Duplo Express because she chickened out of a train ride for babies

oh man lol :(

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ooh oufff man I feel your pain.

With my kid I have discovered that the moment a ride scares him or puts him off, that's it, don't try any other. No matter how gentle they are he'll want in and then freak out.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

loquacius posted:

My daughter is showing some interest in learning to read. It's early, no rush on it or anything, but I was an early reader too so I like the idea of encouraging her. Thing is, I have very little idea how to do that other than sounding out words for her and stuff. Does anybody have recommendations for like a tablet game or something to help teach reading?

Just read Hop on Pop to your kid over and over again and then read it real slow and have them read a word here and there. Start with words that are obvious in context so they start off knowing the words by rote and feel smart and then move on the words they haven't memorized. Do this with other books too and go super slow and keep adding words make it fun and tell your kid they are a super genius. If they struggle with a word or are in an obstinate mood then just move on and revisit it next time.

This worked pretty well for both my kids.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update: just walking around looking at Lego stuff and that's working better

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
on the plus side, if you accidentally instill a trauma response to legos on this trip you'll save thousands of dollars in the coming years

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

My parents still give me poo poo for freaking out on a ride when I was three years old. I think it was Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland.

That power is now in your hands...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fosborb posted:

on the plus side, if you accidentally instill a trauma response to legos on this trip you'll save thousands of dollars in the coming years

I had to read this like five times to get my brain and feet to accept "trauma, Legos, trip" in the same sentence without anyone stepping on the things. Granted, I am still recovering from the baby being sick after starting daycare.

Anyway, I don't think you're right, Legos have a lot more replay value than whatever other toys would replace them. Plus they're more fun to join in on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
threw together one of those (apparently) trendy sensory boxes with some dyed rice and some kid safe kitchen implements and yeah a+ would recommend, she's Into It

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just read Hop on Pop to your kid over and over again and then read it real slow and have them read a word here and there. Start with words that are obvious in context so they start off knowing the words by rote and feel smart and then move on the words they haven't memorized. Do this with other books too and go super slow and keep adding words make it fun and tell your kid they are a super genius. If they struggle with a word or are in an obstinate mood then just move on and revisit it next time.

This worked pretty well for both my kids.

I briefly thought this was advice for Legoland and was very confused, maybe I need a remedial reading tutor. But also, it kind of made sense to me anyway?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dreylad posted:

threw together one of those (apparently) trendy sensory boxes with some dyed rice and some kid safe kitchen implements and yeah a+ would recommend, she's Into It

My kids love these with various cheap plastic animal sets, so they can make a rice dinosaur island or whatever.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Don't feel bad loquacious my daughter is also a weiner. Little loser cried when the coin operated mall car ride thing started up.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Whenever I would eat, like, the last of the ice cream after my daughter went to bed, wrongly betting on her forgetting about it, I would blame it on a burglar fox named "sneaky steve". If we were at a pub on a Sunday and she wanted another pack of crisps, it turned out to her dismay that sneaky steve had stolen the last of them from behind the bar. If she wanted to watch frozen right after having just watched frozen, sneaky steve had pilfered it from the server.

Recently snacks meant for her 1yo brother carelessly left within her reach have been going missing. Imagine my strange mixture of pride and concern when she smiles and tells me it must have been sneaky steve.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bitmap posted:

Whenever I would eat, like, the last of the ice cream after my daughter went to bed, wrongly betting on her forgetting about it, I would blame it on a burglar fox named "sneaky steve". If we were at a pub on a Sunday and she wanted another pack of crisps, it turned out to her dismay that sneaky steve had stolen the last of them from behind the bar. If she wanted to watch frozen right after having just watched frozen, sneaky steve had pilfered it from the server.

Recently snacks meant for her 1yo brother carelessly left within her reach have been going missing. Imagine my strange mixture of pride and concern when she smiles and tells me it must have been sneaky steve.

:owned: also lol smart kid

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bitmap posted:

lol :pwn:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pretty sure Abraham pulled the same poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

bitmap posted:

Don't feel bad loquacious my daughter is also a weiner. Little loser cried when the coin operated mall car ride thing started up.

My daughter is 9 and is still scared of the sound the toilet makes when it flushes. When she was smaller she would get someone to flush for her but at some point we implemented a "flush your own turds" policy. So she hits the handle and dashes out of the bathroom as quickly as possible. I don't give her poo poo tho because she thinks we don't notice and sometimes it's best to let the illusion remain.