Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Stormlight Words of Radiance End of Book
I finished the book! It was amazing, so many things answered that I'm actually pretty OK going off on a Mistborn read for a while. Some things are frustrating, but I know I'll get answers so it's not that bad. Also it took me like 45 minutes to just organize my head before I started typing this out. The Sanderlanche has once again run riot.

Not sure what the long string of numbers in the epilogues is, but I'm sure it's something that's been decoded already. I thought maybe it was dates like the other one, but it doesn't seem to be at first and second glance. The wander, Adrotagia thinks it might be Mraize but my first thought was Hoid. And finally "One of them" is probably either Eshonai or Venli. I'm curious if the bridge has already been formed or not.

I do think the timing of Syl returning was fairly telegraphed, but it was still quite enjoyable. That she was arguing with the Stormfather the whole way was a fun little thing. That guy is grumpy as gently caress. I was a little surprised that Kaladin allowed Graves and Moash to just walk away, but I suppose he had more important things to do and at that point they weren't a threat anymore. It feels like Kaladin has gone from one extreme to the other, he was down and out of the Radiants, now he appears fully realized. He was intuiting how to move rather than thinking about the Lashings the way Szeth does. They did have an anime battle in the storms though. That has to be said. It was completely absurd and amazing. And as I called, he got his Shardspear instead of Shardblade. I'm so happy that Syl (and Brandon) thought of that.

There appears to be three types of blades. The original blades were the Honorblades given to the Heralds by Tanavast himself. They can be "stolen", which grants the holder the power specific to the Herald's Order. The second Blade that came into existence were the spren acting as an extension of their bondee. This is what Syl did, what Pattern does for Shallan, and I assume what Jasnah (WHO IS NOT DEAD) held out towards Hoid. The third type of Blade are the Shardblades. They are basically fabrials that use a captured and "dead" spren, and are an abomination to anything associated with Honor. Spren only scream when you hold these, I *think*.

I am extremely confused about Dalinar hearing the screaming, because I thought the blade he had was Talenel's Honorblade. Dalinar notes how oddly easy it was to unbond, but the Stormfather still calls it a monstrosity. Also I have to admit that I thought Dalinar had become a Radiant after Szeth threw him in the air, but that was just Kaladin catching him. I am absolutely not surprised he's a Radiant now, but him bonding the Stormfather is such a power move, I love it. It makes total sense given that he's been in his head for almost two full books now. I do wonder how Dalinar will handle Lift though. She might be too much for an old man to keep up with.

Shallan literally saved everyone, what a loving queen. I loved all the "oops, well anyway" moments when she had to let people see her powers, including Adolin. Though, so far as I know, she still doesn't know how to make sound with her illusions, she still has pattern do that part. And yes, she did kill her mother, but not for the reason I thought, it was so much worse. Her mother knew she was *already* doing some magic, and thought her own child was a Voidbringer. Shallan had to defender her own life against her mother.

JASNAH IS NOT loving DEAD. I'm really glad that didn't take until next book because it was pretty obvious. Her working with Hoid, however, was not. That feels almost like a rom com, I bet they get on each others nerves so much. I am still curious how Hoid knows where to be ahead of time. He's got some kind of powers to him, or something is guiding him. Oh, and Jasnah can teleport just like I thought. Yes I am incredibly smug about all of this. I'm looking forward to Jasnah meeting back up with everyone. Poor Adolin and Elhokar though, not being Radiants. Yet. I'm curious about Elhokar's shadows, and Adolin is sure to get a spren friend at some point.

Speaking of Adolin, he just loving killed Sadeas. I kinda loved that, and honestly I don't think he'll face too much in the way of consequences either. Nor should he. I do think Ialai will still be dangerous, but she won't have a Highprince to hide behind.

Even Adolin's brother is a Surgebinder. Renarin really just loving thought the screaming in his head was him? His spren didn't say anything? He even knows Glys' name! What the gently caress. Renarin writing all the zeros on the wall, he was the one scratching numbers everywhere? This is part of his "seeing"? Let me be honest though, "seeing" doesn't really match any of the Surges listed in the Ars Arcanum.

Mraize has some balls, telling a Surgebinder and the savior of their whole society, that she's still going to work with him. He also mentions the Skybreakers, who Nin/Nalan/Nale also mentioned. I am unsure if the implication is that the Skybreakers are the Ghostlboods, or allied to them, or actually different, considering that Lin and Helaran were at odds with each other.

And Graves spoke of the diagram, so that's finally confirmation that he's working with Taravangian. I am still trying to make connections between Taravangian and the Ghostbloods, but there's not enough to satisfy me there. There's the Ghostbloods with Mraize, Thaidakar, and the Davars. I am quite sure the Envisagers are the Restares/Amaram group. Then theres Taravangian's group, and now the Skybreakers with Mooncheek Darkness, who is apparently just a Herald.

Nalan is just walking to earth killing Radiants? And Szeth gets to be a Radiant of another order I think. I am confused if Nalan is actually having these "Skybreakers" gain powers or if he's just calling them that. I don't think Helaran had any Surgebinding abilities. And his blade is Nightblood? What the gently caress?? Nightblood is a Shardblade? I'm all sorts of hosed up about that. Vasher has a lot to answer for.

Everyone seems to think the Listeners are dead, and most of them may be, but Eshonai definitely didn't die from a fall, and even if most of them are dead, Venli won't be, and more will be made when the Everstorm comes around again. At least I can rest knowing Roshar isn't a flat planet. Probably.

Progress so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh hell yes, congrats on finishing WoR! I forgot all the fun revelations it has and I'm bummed you won't be getting to to Oathbringer for a while yet.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 20, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WoR is a good breakpoint though much more so than Way of Kings. Also end of WoR spoilers The Nightblood reveal was fantastic on the Audiobook because Michael Kramer went right back into the voice he did from Warbreaker, it was a great wtf moment.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 20, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I am very excited for pik_d to hit Shadows of Self. That book is very special to me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

@socialsecurity I think you mean WoR, I did not read Rhythm of War, I read Rords of Wadiance.

Louisgod posted:

Oh hell yes, congrats on finishing RoW! I forgot all the fun revelations it has and I'm bummed you won't be getting to to Oathbringer for a while yet.

I'll be there before we know it, Alloy of Law took me 5 days to read.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

I am very excited for pik_d to hit Shadows of Self. That book is very special to me.

I know you're a long way off, but I want you to know (vibes spoiler, no content) you'll get everything you want by (and honestly before) the end of WoR.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Stormlight Words of Radiance End of Book
Not sure what the long string of numbers in the epilogues is, but I'm sure it's something that's been decoded already. I thought maybe it was dates like the other one, but it doesn't seem to be at first and second glance.
It's a devilishly clever, but solvable, cipher. It took the 17th Shard eight days working together, along with some hints, to crack it. You can read along as they figure it out, but if you don't want to but still want the deciphered text:

Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new orders when they return.

quote:

There appears to be three types of blades. The original blades were the Honorblades given to the Heralds by Tanavast himself. They can be "stolen", which grants the holder the power specific to the Herald's Order. The second Blade that came into existence were the spren acting as an extension of their bondee. This is what Syl did, what Pattern does for Shallan, and I assume what Jasnah (WHO IS NOT DEAD) held out towards Hoid. The third type of Blade are the Shardblades. They are basically fabrials that use a captured and "dead" spren, and are an abomination to anything associated with Honor. Spren only scream when you hold these, I *think*.
Post-Oathbringer spoilers, I guess? Should pik already know that Shardblades are dead Radiant spren, or is he just at a point where it's inferrable but nobody's actually said so out loud yet? I forget.

quote:

And yes, she did kill her mother, but not for the reason I thought, it was so much worse. Her mother knew she was *already* doing some magic, and thought her own child was a Voidbringer. Shallan had to defender her own life against her mother.
Here's some fun questions without answers to think about : Can you think of anyone else who reacts to budding Radiants with murder? Is there a connection?

quote:

JASNAH IS NOT loving DEAD. I'm really glad that didn't take until next book because it was pretty obvious. Her working with Hoid, however, was not. That feels almost like a rom com, I bet they get on each others nerves so much.
Jasnah coming back with just a list of major world-shaking revelations only for Hoid to go "they figured that one out", "that already happened", or "they found it" to each one was hilarious.

quote:

Even Adolin's brother is a Surgebinder. Renarin really just loving thought the screaming in his head was him? His spren didn't say anything? He even knows Glys' name! What the gently caress. Renarin writing all the zeros on the wall, he was the one scratching numbers everywhere?
I'd just like to introduce you to Past Pik_d.

pik_d posted:

And now he's with Renarin, who has very recently become a suspect for me in the assassination attempt on Elhokar. He was nervous during the high storm, which sure may be common, but he also recently received a Shardlbade and this new attempt on the King's life was made with a Shardblade. I'm wondering if he simply thinks his father should be King, or if something else is going on with him. He's been largely a background character but he's in the story for a reason, surely. He's had the means, motive, and opportunity in both assassination attempts, assuming he wants his father (and therefore maybe eventually himself) on the throne.
Look how close you were!

quote:

And his blade is Nightblood? What the gently caress?? Nightblood is a Shardblade? I'm all sorts of hosed up about that. Vasher has a lot to answer for.
Yeah, we've been waiting for you to get to that particular bomb dropping. Don't worry, Nightblood has answers! Well, one answer. And it's "yes". And we all know the question.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 20, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

I know you're a long way off, but I want you to know (vibes spoiler, no content) you'll get everything you want by (and honestly before) the end of WoR.

Very excited. I'm almost at the exact half-way point of WoK and I'm just happy to spend more time with Shallan right now. (Though I already miss Dalinar).

Complete side note - I feel like the Epigraphs in WoKs are completely lost on me since I'm listening to the audiobook. They're so fragmented that I immediately forget them in a way that didn't happen during the original Mistborn trilogy. I feel like I should probably bring up the wiki and reread the epigraphs once I finish a section of the book, but :effort:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Post-Oathbringer spoilers, I guess? Should pik already know that Shardblades are dead Radiant spren, or is he just at a point where it's inferrable but nobody's actually said so out loud yet? I forget.

We figured it out but it's not explicitly said until Oathbringer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

@CapnAndy

The implied connection between Shallan's mother and Nalan is interesting. Shallan's mother literally saw her own child do magic, I figured that hosed with her head enough to want to kill her. If she (or her "lover") are Skybreakers/Nalan followers, I guess that's cool too. If that were the case though, I feel like Nalan would know and send more assassins after her, but Shallan lived out her childhood without being murdered, and her own brother even joined that group.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

@CapnAndy

The implied connection between Shallan's mother and Nalan is interesting. Shallan's mother literally saw her own child do magic, I figured that hosed with her head enough to want to kill her. If she (or her "lover") are Skybreakers/Nalan followers, I guess that's cool too. If that were the case though, I feel like Nalan would know and send more assassins after her, but Shallan lived out her childhood without being murdered, and her own brother even joined that group.

I'm curious as to which version you read WoR end spoilers Was Szeth "killed" by Kaladin or a flying rock? He retconned it from Kaladin to flying rock in some releases and that always felt like a needless change.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

@CapnAndy

I wasn't kidding, I don't have answers for you on this one. There's a particularly bugfuck theory that I happen to think is right that you aren't ready for yet. Just something I think you ought to keep in mind. We know the Davars have Skybreaker connections, which is weird in and of itself -- why were they worthy of the attention in the first place? -- and Shallan's mom reacted to the signs of Radiancy the same way Nalan does, albeit much crazier (well, at least more overtly so). It's glaringly strange.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

socialsecurity posted:

I'm curious as to which version you read WoR end spoilers Was Szeth "killed" by Kaladin or a flying rock? He retconned it from Kaladin to flying rock in some releases and that always felt like a needless change.

For me, the fight ended when Kaladin sliced through Szeth's wrist, Szeth released the bond and fell. I re-read and didn't see any flying rock. Szeth just fell through the storm and was gone until his POV later on.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spoilers up to WoR Ars Arcanum

The WoR Ars Arcanum has given me the names and short descriptions of all of the Surges, and in an order that seems to match up with the Orders/Heralds/whatever, I am pretty sure I have most of this correct, though the three Orders with "??" are purely guesses based off vibes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
#OilyTaintSpren
:hmmyes:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

#OilyTaintSpren
:hmmyes:

Here's the thing. If an author tells me about someone or something but doesn't give me a name, then I get to name it. Mooncheek Darkness. Oily Taintspren. I called Odium "Desolation" for a while because gently caress it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Spoilers up to WoR Ars Arcanum

The WoR Ars Arcanum has given me the names and short descriptions of all of the Surges, and in an order that seems to match up with the Orders/Heralds/whatever, I am pretty sure I have most of this correct, though the three Orders with "??" are purely guesses based off vibes

Jueah, you've figured it out. Here's the chart from the end of Way of Kings, just with people putting names to the various symbols, since we now (end of Words of Radiance) know them:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm just cresting the half way point of Way of Kings and I've settled into a good rhythm with it. I think the thing that stands out to me at this point is just how... even? everything is. I mean that this is a 45.5 hour audiobook. Compare that to The Final Empire's 25 hour runtime. So at half way through, I've nearly listened to the same amount of content as TFE - and yet there hasn't been anything "hootin' and hollerin'" worthy.

There haven't been any moments that make me go "OH poo poo!" or want to pump my fist in excitement. It has just been... steady. I almost feel like I'm listening to a podcast more than a story, if that makes sense.

I'm finally at the point where I'm invested enough to see where the story goes and how things play out, but there has been a real lack of "surprise" that I usually expect from a Sanderson story. Everything that happens just elicits a "Oh. Yeah. That makes sense. :geno:" response from me.

For the entire first half of this book, there's just a real lack of memorable moments. That's not to say it is bad, it is just... kinda flat?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Been mentioned lots of times but yep, that first 50% or 60% isn't necessarily a drag but a very, very long buildup intro to Roshar as a whole. There isn't much in the way of shock or oh poo poo moments as much as a "here are the characters of this world, how they interact, what they have going on, etc.", followed by the eventual Sanderlanche. It takes longer because it's a longer book but once you get through TWOK you should have a good foundational understanding of the world to absorb WoR easier, which has more excitement.

I read close to 60% of book 1 of Mistborn to my 9 year old (had to stop as it was a bit too scary) but same difference in that book; nothing crazy exciting or monumental happens for that first 60% too. So instead of 12.5 hours of world building like in Mistborn, it's doubled for Stormlight simply for being 2x the word count, so the lack of excitement tracks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I read close to 60% of book 1 of Mistborn to my 9 year old (had to stop as it was a bit too scary) but same difference in that book; nothing crazy exciting or monumental happens for that first 60% too. So instead of 12.5 hours of world building like in Mistborn, it's doubled for Stormlight simply for being 2x the word count, so the lack of excitement tracks.

I would counter with - at least in Mistborn, you still get to see them have some fights and use cool magic powers more than a few times in the first half of the book. Way of Kings doesn't even have that.

Or I could point to Warbreaker where about a third of the way through the book you get the surprising reveal of the mute Godking and about the half way point is the reveal of betrayal by Denth.

All of his books generally build to that Sanderlanche, but the first half of Way of Kings feels exceptionally dry in comparison.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

TWoK is a prologue. I skip it every time I reread Stormlight because zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

I would counter with - at least in Mistborn, you still get to see them have some fights and use cool magic powers more than a few times in the first half of the book. Way of Kings doesn't even have that.

Or I could point to Warbreaker where about a third of the way through the book you get the surprising reveal of the mute Godking and about the half way point is the reveal of betrayal by Denth.

All of his books generally build to that Sanderlanche, but the first half of Way of Kings feels exceptionally dry in comparison.

No doubt it is but that's because:

CapnAndy posted:

TWoK is a prologue. I skip it every time I reread Stormlight because zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I still found some really interesting and exciting moments in that first half of TWOK though, including any time Kaladin went on a bridge excursion, or when Dalinar received visions. The magic is there, albeit a bit more subdued in book 1, and I enjoyed that slow burn knowing I had another 150 hours of books waiting for me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

No doubt it is but that's because:

I still found some really interesting and exciting moments in that first half of TWOK though, including any time Kaladin went on a bridge excursion, or when Dalinar received visions. The magic is there, albeit a bit more subdued in book 1, and I enjoyed that slow burn knowing I had another 150 hours of books waiting for me.

You've listed it there, but so far Dalinar's vision of the Radiants? was the best part of the book. I don't know if we'll get another one for a while since I'm just barely into the Kaladin/Shallan section and no Dalinar for this part, but boooy I would have liked that chapter expanded or at least another section like that.

So far, reading The Way of Kings feels like the equivalent of the part of the US cross-country road trip when you hit Texas. The road you are on is straight, flat, and you're going to be there for a while.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
True, but also: Journey before Destination

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Louisgod posted:

True, but also: Journey before Destination

Holy poo poo, the dude did follow his Oaths!

As a magic player he has to be a Truthwatcher, right?

Ah gently caress he is a Willshaper isn't he.

TGG fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 22, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can't say I found WOK that dull. It's not my favorite, and neither are Kal's flashbacks, but it's not Fellowship of the Ring pre-Council of Elrond levels of sleep-inducing. (with the notable exception of Tom Bombadil, of course. He ruled)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well luckily the audiobook for The Fellowship of the Ring is 19 hours, so I’d already be on The Two Towers. Lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TWOK is one of my favorites because it's slow, because flashy magics are rare. It made the world feel more real, less anime. Made me think of the characters as more real too. Given how the whole things develops over the books, this long and slow introduction and settling into the world of Roshar really makes those other books better as well, it gives them grounding. The whole series would be lessened in impact if not for TWOK working as a solid foundation to build on.

I think it's a good analogy for life too. Journey before destination indeed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sixth of the Dusk (Have not read Drominad System essay)
Fun little story. Reminded me a bit of a recursive Fern Gully in that there is some greater sense of ecological preservation needed at every level. Honestly though, trying to making a living on Patja sounds like it sucks. I get that Dusk really likes his birds, but the fact that he needs Sak to beam all the dangers straight into his head just to survive is a bit much. Makes me wonder how the other trappers survive if Dusk is the only one with this second Aviar.

The magic system seems interesting, I'd like to see other Aviars and what they can do. To make Allomancy comparisons, Sak feels very much like Electrum, and the other chicken feels like a coppercloud. And someone should eat those parasites for science, just to see if people can have powers too. It seems like Patji is the only place these parasites live, but what if they are exported, not just the birds? Dusk would hate me and these questions. #TeamVathi.

Speaking of #TeamVathi, I liked her internalizing the lesson she learned from Patji and applying it to the Ones Above. There's definitely more going on with her too, since she was called Lady Vathi. She obviously didn't trust Dusk enough to tell him how important she really was. If we ever get another Drominad story I wonder if she'll make a cameo.

Definitely not #TeamOnesAbove though, even if it is Nazh and Khriss. Probably isn't though, unless they've been pushed towards malicious interferance by something else going on. Interesting though that Brandon says this is the farthest forward, timeline-wise, of anything in Arcanum Unbounded. I wonder how many stories outside of Arcanum Unbounded take place after it.

Allomancer Jak
Another fun story, but how much of it really even happened? He's got a Terrisman editor and a Kolossblood girlfriend, but how much else of the story is real? I'm almost hoping Wax and Wayne run into Jack at some point so I can get an outside POV of him.

I'm also glad that the Koloss-blood thing isn't as hosed up as I thought it was. The fact that they can have kids now is OK, I guess. I'm wondering if Sazed tweaked things so they don't have to kill a bunch of people to make one Koloss anymore? Sazed also seems to have had them promise to not kill Terrisfolk, because I don't think they'd do that on their own out of the goodness of their hearts.

I liked the editors notes for this, but I'm glad it wasn't a longer story. I'm not sure how it is in physical books but I had to tap a little * to read each one and it kinda slowed me down. At least the story didn't expect me to fall for Jak's bullshit, which I had already spotted in the newspaper in Alloy of Law. I wouldn't be shocked if I never see Jak again, but as I said I kind of want to get a clearer picture of him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Allomancer Jak

I liked the editors notes for this, but I'm glad it wasn't a longer story. I'm not sure how it is in physical books but I had to tap a little * to read each one and it kinda slowed me down. At least the story didn't expect me to fall for Jak's bullshit, which I had already spotted in the newspaper in Alloy of Law. I wouldn't be shocked if I never see Jak again, but as I said I kind of want to get a clearer picture of him.

This story is particularly rough in audiobook format. Michael Cramer does his best but it is constant, jarring narrative interruptions from the editors notes. I'm glad it was very short because booooooooy I found it to be just generally insufferable. It's one of the few bits where I think Brandon felt that he was much funnier than he actually is.

WoK note -
Side Carry - Welp. I think I just had a Eureka moment on why Kaladin is "special." He's unknowingly pulling Stormlight from spheres or something, isn't he? I mean, that doesn't fully explain but I think there's something there.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

WoK note -
Side Carry - Welp. I think I just had a Eureka moment on why Kaladin is "special." He's unknowingly pulling Stormlight from spheres or something, isn't he? I mean, that doesn't fully explain but I think there's something there.

Come back to this later and see if you’re right.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

This story is particularly rough in audiobook format. Michael Cramer does his best but it is constant, jarring narrative interruptions from the editors notes. I'm glad it was very short because booooooooy I found it to be just generally insufferable. It's one of the few bits where I think Brandon felt that he was much funnier than he actually is.
I can't imagine it working at all in audio, yeah. The comedy is in the footnotes and their interplay with the main text. Hell, I read it in ebook form (death to physical!) and I had the same issue that pik did; it's a bit less funny and a bit more annoying when instead of seeing the footnotes on the page right with the text, all you see is an asterisk that sends you to a page you need to hit the back button on to get back to reading.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Time for :can:

I've found it interesting how Terrismen are portrayed.

Since I'm in WoK right now, I can't help but draw slight connections between Parshmen and Terrismen. I know that is incredibly unfair since it seems like Parshmen on Roshar are basically animals in humanoid form? (Which still gives me the ick).

But when it comes to Scadrial itself, does anyone else feel like the characterization of Terrismen changed between Era 1 and Era 2? In Era 1, I felt like they were written as African American coded but in Era 2 they feel like they are written as Indigenous American coded.

Also - Allomancer Jak is Hildibrand (iykyk), though not does as well as Hildibrand. :colbert:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Has some minor Yumi spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNpnWaoIlgw

Confirms Yumi is space-age Cosmere

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Mordiceius posted:

Time for :can:

I've found it interesting how Terrismen are portrayed.

Since I'm in WoK right now, I can't help but draw slight connections between Parshmen and Terrismen. I know that is incredibly unfair since it seems like Parshmen on Roshar are basically animals in humanoid form? (Which still gives me the ick).

This is explained later... But, uh, don't be holding your breath on the time scale.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mistborn Shadow of Self Prologue - Chapter 4 (Part 1)

I'm still a bit sour over Lessie getting fridged in the first book so I'm not sure that I really liked this prologue going back to her to remind me. At least she thinks he's an idiot. I'm not sure what was up with the one sharpshooter missing high, unless that was just "want to scare him but not hit Lessie, who is working with us"?

Chapter one is a bunch of corrupt rich people die while at an auction for someone's vote. I'm curious if Flog is part of whoever wanted everyone dead or not. The "a pair of hands grabbed Winsting..." bit was obviously intentionally vague. Could be anyone! I don't remember too many of the names of the social elite from Alloy of Law, but good to know the governor is probably corrupt too.

No epigraphs, but Wax reading the book Marsh gave Marasi to give him is a nice replacement. So far he's trying to convince himself that it's ok to continue the practice of Hemalurgy. He says "Hemalurgy is good now", but unless Sazed did some retooling it still requires killing multiple people to make work? I will certainly be curious for more information on that. He does say "if we don't use it, someone else will" but why would "we" prevent "someone else" from using it as well? And who is "we", those who practice Sliverism?

Steris is doing wedding planning, which Wayne and Marasi immediately dunk on him for. Still no obvious affection between the couple. And the Venture family still exists? I thought they all died.

Then they have a car/coinshot chase. I think I mentioned this during my Alloy of Law reading, but this setting really has Legend of Korra vibes. Wax sits on a car to prevent it from going into a canal, then sees the face of Bloody Tan in the crowd. If he's not hallucinating or having some PTSD because of the upcoming wedding, it's probably a Kandra? No one else seemed to see it so it could definitely be in his head.

Wax and Marasi break down the crime scene fairly well, and Wayne steals a cigar case, so all is as it was in the previous book. I guess I have to go with the theory that his uncle is involved. I do wonder if they're right about it being a Terris Steelrunner, or if it's someone who stole that ability with Hemalurgy. I am also curious if there's any "full" Feruchemists around, since there don't seem to be full Mistborn around.

Removing the tongue seems to be a message about someone keeping their silence, or having failed to keep their silence about something. It's probably a message to the governor since it was his brother's tongue, so the governor knows something about Edwarn/The Suit.

Part 1 is four chapters, Part 2 is seventeen chapters, and Part 3 is five chapters. OK Brandon. Does anyone have a decent suggestion for somewhere in the middle of Part 2 for me to stop and post some thoughts? If the parts were vaguely equal size I'd just do that, but 4-17-5 is weirdly long in the middle.

Progress so far:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

After chapter 13 would probably be a solid "post some thoughts" point. It's probably the closest thing to a clean break in the action.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've always thought the only close to "good" way to practice hemalurgy would be to do kind of like with the breaths and give away/sell your misting right before you die, like an assisted suicide thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

I've always thought the only close to "good" way to practice hemalurgy would be to do kind of like with the breaths and give away/sell your misting right before you die, like an assisted suicide thing.
Hero of Ages spoilers: Sazed suggests exactly that in his book. Lost Metal spoilers: But I think the method the Set discovered is better, and also makes it much more analagous to Breaths -- the discovery that everyone is carrying around an extra bit of Investiture and you can use precision Hemalurgy to take it off the people who aren't doing anything with it, doing them no harm, and pool up until you've got enough to make an artificial Mistborn. That's got a lot of potential that I imagine we're gonna see start coming to fruition in Era 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm nearing the end of Rhythm of War (Dalinar just faced Ishar for the first time and Szeth is now freaking out because he has his honorblade. and man, I'm not even sure what to think. There's so much to process and I'm terrible at post-read analyses.

I guess the one big thing is the title namedrop and associated light-mixing/tone interaction "discovery" just made me roll my eyes, and I'm the kind of guy who loves convoluted Hunter x Hunter power/mechanics systems. I just felt like Sanderson was stretching on that one. The title drops for the first three were handled much better, IMO, or maybe I'm just getting tired of Sanderson's way of framing those types of reveals.

I'm probably going to take a break before jumping into Mistborn series 2.