Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Luca, soul, turning red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

at the point where i avoid watching rez dogs until im in a certain mood because I know its gonna make me cry everytim

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A MIRACLE posted:

at the point where i avoid watching rez dogs until im in a certain mood because I know its gonna make me cry everytim

ep 9 was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mr.Inbetween
Im late to this train but this show is well edited, well written and well performed. Also child actor who acts like a child is such a rarity.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just finished season 2 of Righteous Gemstones and loved it. It's kinda batshit crazy but the cast and writing is so good.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

The Modern Leper posted:

Elemental is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest, but it's all over the place. It starts feeling like a cute, if derivative, allegory about emotional expression and repression, but then flips into a literal intercultural romantic comedy.

My kids didn't like it which is the bar I use for Pixar. They have started it like 3 times so far but almost immediately lose interest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is actually true lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I finished season 2 of winning time, it was great, no complaints, every biopic should end just like that. Walk the Line would've been much better if it ended with Johnny Cash detoxing followed by some text on the screen

Johnny Cash would go on kick the drugs, make lots more awesome music, and get married to June

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Johnny Cash would go on kick the drugs, make lots more awesome music, and get married to June

He then got gored by an ostrich, got addicted to drugs again, got sober again, and then had a major career resurgence after being spotted by Rick Rubin while playing in a dinner theater.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

The Modern Leper posted:

Elemental is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest, but it's all over the place. It starts feeling like a cute, if derivative, allegory about emotional expression and repression, but then flips into a literal intercultural romantic comedy.

I'm currently watching it and You People starring Jonah Hill did it better and that was a bad movie. Elemental is just so anemic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Upsidads posted:

gently caress Amazon
Replacing current plan with same with ads next year
Pay extra for no ads

I watch maybe two shows on Prime a year.

I’m not subsidizing them spending hundreds of millions making bad prestige TV.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

How does Elemental compare with Zootopia? It seems like they're the same story.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I finished season 2 of winning time, it was great, no complaints, every biopic should end just like that. Walk the Line would've been much better if it ended with Johnny Cash detoxing followed by some text on the screen

Yeah, my god, that show got hosed over really hard.

They clearly thought they were going to have more time, then had to go to light speed in the least few episodes and then full on ludicrous speed for the finale.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Tokelau All Star posted:

How does Elemental compare with Zootopia? It seems like they're the same story.

Zootopia is far, far better. It's hands down just a more fun movie. Elemental's humor is sparse and it is really slow, astonishingly slow for a kids movie. Hell id even say Zootopia is more visually enjoyable as well. Elemental is like someone tried to take an Enya song and make it a kids movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked how different Skinamarink felt and i give it credit for that, more like some haunted house walkthrough or a less eventful Silent Hills demo than a movie...for like the first ten minutes in theaters I was like "oh my god I hope it's like this forever" and I got my wish and regretted it. It's a great sleep aid though, in between the sudden loud screeching noises or w/e.
Clearly though it is just the case of a short getting turned feature film but not having enough to sustain that length.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It would have to be a short short.
God the grain is so bad it's like a magic eye

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The original short is on youtube so thats for you to decide. I loved The Outwaters so it's hard for me to throw stones at Skinamarink, i appreciate being different and creative even if it really didn't work for me at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQzEzW4faA
Probably not short enough but it does seem that a lot of younger people connected with their dim memories of like...getting up at 2 am to piss and thinking you heard something scary. It does a good job of capturing your house at night as a child but both Heck and Skinamarink are also pretty boring imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I found Skinamarink immensely uncomfortable but I’d never watch it more than once

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Oxxidation posted:

I found Skinamarink immensely uncomfortable but I’d never watch it more than once

Pretty sure that's what they were going for and I think they nailed it personally. I agree with pretty much everyone else though it should have been way shorter.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I loved The Outwaters so it's hard for me to throw stones at Skinamarink

I almost mentioned The Outwaters in relation to Skinamarink as I thought it also had a good vibe but was WAY too long and lacked focus, but I figured no one would know it.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that both movies exist and do not regret watching them, but I can’t really say I liked them. I am definitely interested in seeing what both directors do next, but just hope they are reigned in a little.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mcmagic posted:

ep 9 was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good [Reservation Dogs]

Yes it was. I really don't know how this show manages to get such authentic performances out of everyone.

I was interested to see that the actress who plays Elora wrote it... then realized she's a credited writer for a shitload of eps.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm years late but currently watching Blade for the first time. What a great movie!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I liked No One Will Save You quite a bit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the best Alien Grey movie since Fire in the Sky

It gets it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

thanks for the mr inbetween rec its... pretty sick?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

You the peepee guy?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Field Mousepad posted:

Pretty sure that's what they were going for and I think they nailed it personally. I agree with pretty much everyone else though it should have been way shorter.

For what it was doing, it was the perfect length.

It's a super tedious anti-film that gets frustratungly slow for a good chunk of it, but then that frustration turns to discomfort, then dread, then "ah poo poo this exactly like that dream I had when I was 3 that I never wanted to experience again," then "GAH gently caress."

Very much a one and done deal, but it was an experience [ideally seen in the middle of an empty theater with the sound cranked +5db louder than usual].

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Upsidads posted:

Luca, soul, turning red?

I kinda get what OP is saying about modern Pixar. It feels like they're experimenting with loosening their grip on allegory, and trying to tell more literal (or more "the subtext is the text") stories. I don't remember too much about the details of Soul, but in both Luca and Turning Red the actual metaphor feels thin enough that even a child can work out what they're about. Elemental feels like they tried the same thing with a more adult story, but messed up the balance.

I remember someone talking about how excited they were as a kid when they "unlocked" that TMBG's birdhouse in your soul was about a nightlight. I feel that Pixar is trying to be the studio that makes your child's first recognizable allegory, but Elemental doesn't really work as a children's story and there's ultimately no allegory to unlock -- it's the story of an Asian-coded child of immigrants who is pushing back against her culturally-ingrained emotional aphasia and filial piety after she meets a more emotionally open member of a majority culture. I don't think it was meant to be subtle, but I also wonder if it was ever actually intended for anyone under 15.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Upsidads posted:

Oh poo poo oh poo poo this is on Hulu right now? Hell yes immediate watch

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the best Alien Grey movie since Fire in the Sky

It gets it.
Never forget Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County. Never forget.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My 7-yr-old loved Elemental and my 10-yr-old liked it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Outwaters and Skinamarink were good poo poo

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Latest Rez Dogs was incredible. Now that I have kids, this hit me right in the chest. Devery Jacobs and Ethan Hawke both need Emmys for this. It would have been so easy to just write Elora's dad as some piece of poo poo guy. Instead, we got a real picture of a flawed man who knows he hosed up real bad, knows he can't ever make up for it, and is barely holding it together trying to do better with the kids he does have. I really felt for both him and Elora.

This was masterclass writing and acting. Just real humanity on screen. This season has been fantastic. Give this show all the awards, there's nothing better on TV this year.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tokelau All Star posted:

Latest Rez Dogs was incredible. Now that I have kids, this hit me right in the chest. Devery Jacobs and Ethan Hawke both need Emmys for this. It would have been so easy to just write Elora's dad as some piece of poo poo guy. Instead, we got a real picture of a flawed man who knows he hosed up real bad, knows he can't ever make up for it, and is barely holding it together trying to do better with the kids he does have. I really felt for both him and Elora.

This was masterclass writing and acting. Just real humanity on screen. This season has been fantastic. Give this show all the awards, there's nothing better on TV this year.

Felt the exact same way.

Hell, every episode of this series has been a mini-masterpiece in and of itself. Funny, creative, compassionate and humane but never ever mawkish, and with its own uniquely tangible tone and rhythm.

I am really going to miss every single character when it's over.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Devery Jacobs even wrote this last one.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel like this is months late, but the Dungeons and Dragons movie is a lot of fun. The action is well shot, the humor is good but knows when not to over do it, and the characters are fun and have a nice dynamic with each other.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Outwaters and Skinamarink were good poo poo

Outwaters was interesting. Not sure if I can say I liked it but it kept me engaged.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Octy posted:

I'm years late but currently watching Blade for the first time. What a great movie!!

:hellyeah:

Still a top 5 comic book movie, and it arguably kick started the modern genre.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Upsidads posted:

Yeah that was fun insanity. I appreciate that the aliens basically just give her therapy at the end.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also what a fantastic ending lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so much fun! In every regard!

It made me beyond happy to see someone treat Greys well. There was this movie called Extraterrestrial that came out years ago and it got me hyped because of this very scary shot of the grey, and then it devolved into being about weed farms and anal probes….:(