Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Medullah posted:

It's functionally the same as unhooking yourself now, only guaranteed once the meter is full, and you can do it on the second hook as well.

You guys are arguing all the scenarios where it will be a problem but come on, it's a huge net improvement for player experience for 90% of the players. I have a friend that recently started playing and his second match he got face camped and was actually depressed about it. We had to explain to him that it happens, all you can do is move on to the next match.
Like it really isn't. I genuinely have the kind of wall of saboteurs, body blockers, and instant unhookers just as often as I have face camping. So it's only better for 90% of players if 90% of players are exclusively survivor players.

edit: This would be an improvement if it came with a change that made it so survivors with endurance couldn't body block the killer's movement and also couldn't block basic attacks from hitting non-endurance survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Terrible Opinions posted:

So it's only better for 90% of players if 90% of players are exclusively survivor players.
Well...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

drat it's almost like BHVR incorporated this new mechanic and put it out on PTB to get tested and get better feedback and find any flaws that are less obvious!

Crazy.

While I agree there is some wild irrationality going on here, let’s be real with the idea that BHVR ever meaningfully listens to PTR feedback.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I was trying to think of reasons why (outside of spaghetti code) verticality was included in the anti-camp mechanic and it occurred to me: Nurse exists.

sure blinking through floors in some areas can be a pita in a chase but it isn't that hard to do consistently if you're just waiting for some survivor to try and dive hook. Lol at the fact Nurse is potentially warping a game mechanic again though.

edit:

Orv posted:

While I agree there is some wild irrationality going on here, let’s be real with the idea that BHVR ever meaningfully listens to PTR feedback.

they do tho! Xenomorph got buffs in-between PTR and love release, and the turrets also got tweaked as well for the most recent example. Hell, the last major mechanic change they considered got dropped as well (survivors being able to pick themselves up without a perk) so there's precedent for BHVR listening as well for this style of sweeping game change.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 22, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Kit posted:

I was trying to think of reasons why (outside of spaghetti code) verticality was included in the anti-camp mechanic and it occurred to me: Nurse exists.

sure blinking through floors in some areas can be a pita in a chase but it isn't that hard to do consistently if you're just waiting for some survivor to try and dive hook. Lol at the fact Nurse is potentially warping a game mechanic again though.

Maybe, but that would require the nurse to know when the unhook is happening which is hard to do through a solid floor, at least until the loud noise trigger happens. Aside from that though the nurse could just facecamp the hook from any direction in the same way as she could from vertical.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

No the real reason is because no distances in DBD account for verticality. Just like cop vision in Payday 2, or explosion in Doom all effects are infinitely tall cylinders. This is true with all previous distance based effects in DBD.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe, but that would require the nurse to know when the unhook is happening which is hard to do through a solid floor, at least until the loud noise trigger happens. Aside from that though the nurse could just facecamp the hook from any direction in the same way as she could from vertical.

Learning to predict timings isn't hard, and hell, even horizontally Nurse is kind of an issue for this as they could just sit outside the no-camp range and hold a blink. Just trying to spitball potential reasons for including the verticality that aren't "BHVR are big dum dums".

there's also some corner cases where a killer could hang out near a hook above or below and still be face camping essentially, not like you need to be rubbing faces with the survivor to be camping a hook.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Name check...post check....verified.

People are usually going to sit in 3 boxes.

Idea is good

Idea is bad

Idea is needed but not like this.

Box 1 and 2 is probably not going to convince one or the other, and I get it. Box 3 I challenge you to come up with something better that makes sense to everyone. Its tougher than you think.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Terrible Opinions posted:

No the real reason is because no distances in DBD account for verticality. Just like cop vision in Payday 2, or explosion in Doom all effects are infinitely tall cylinders. This is true with all previous distance based effects in DBD.

the post of mine you quoted literally responds to your post by itself lmao, I said "not including spaghetti code"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just didn't really think it was spaghetti code, because it's just the default way things work in the game left unchanged.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Told me after the match that "only reason I got her was because of my perks"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Least toxic survivor main

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Orv posted:

Yeah, this is a particularly silly idea. It's sort of a running joke that the PTR only ever gets used for basic bug-catching or to hype up releases, because stuff that hits the PTR almost always hits the live servers afterward with minimal changes regardless of player feedback. When was the last time the devs cut something after bad reception to the PTR? I can literally only think of one thing and it's the base-kit unbreakable/finishing mori thing that was just busted.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Before they tested the Basekit-Unbreakable thing, they specifically said it wasn't going to go live. It was purely a PTB thing, so I'm not sure that even counts.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yeah, this is a particularly silly idea. It's sort of a running joke that the PTR only ever gets used for basic bug-catching or to hype up releases, because stuff that hits the PTR almost always hits the live servers afterward with minimal changes regardless of player feedback. When was the last time the devs cut something after bad reception to the PTR? I can literally only think of one thing and it's the base-kit unbreakable/finishing mori thing that was just busted.

The last few PTBs had a bunch of changes that came directly from player feedback.

There is plenty of legit things to poo poo on BHVR for, but you guys need to stop mindlessly doing it. They do actually care and are trying, even if they gently caress it up all the time.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
hope you got the hook three people in basement at same time achievement already

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
"Bhvr never changes things from the ptb to live in response to player feedback" I literally cannot think of a PTB in recent memory that made it to live unchanged???
The PTB that nerfed healing to 24 charges was reverted and medkits were changed, Circle of Healing buffed from that PTB.
The Singularity PTB had one of Gabriel's perks nerfed before live, and EMPs were also adjusted in addition to slight visual changes to Toba Landing
The Alien PTB had her see several buffs and QoL changes

If you're going to poo poo on Behavior at least do it with things that make sense (ongoing terrible balance issues, crazy restrictive schedule) instead of making things up.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Umbreon posted:

The last few PTBs had a bunch of changes that came directly from player feedback.

Fair point actually, the list the last poster provided outlined that a bit too. I honestly had taken a break from the game for awhile shortly after Skull Merchant came out, so maybe they've been trying a lot harder since then. Their track record before that was exactly what I described, though. They're only getting around to finally fixing Skull Merchant now, come on.

The changes-via-analytics crap like the ineffectual Furtive Chase tweak on the currently active PTB does not read as "actually caring" or listening to community feedback to me though.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 23, 2023

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah once anything hits live it sits there for like 6 months at a time because they seemingly have one person in the company alternating between working on live balance changes and fixing bugs that have been in the game for months or years at a time, as opposed to the 400 people designing killers and cosmetics for future releases. But from PTB? Thata the one place they actually do look at feedback.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Some of you maybe should consider not playing a game you seem to legitimately hate made by a team of devs you clearly absolutely hate.

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems, but it means other people don't get face camped from minute one in a game that feels worth it to me. And I'm sure they'll tweak the really exploitative stuff.

Yes MFT still exists, and is proof that bhvr have no idea what balance is. But so does blight and nurse. Both sides have stupid obnoxious bullshit that bhvr has no clue how to reign in.

Like yeah the verticality thing feels like spaghetti code, but I'm assuming that's fixable. If not a system like this, how would you solve anti camping differently?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kwolok posted:

Some of you maybe should consider not playing a game you seem to legitimately hate made by a team of devs you clearly absolutely hate.

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems, but it means other people don't get face camped from minute one in a game that feels worth it to me. And I'm sure they'll tweak the really exploitative stuff.

Yes MFT still exists, and is proof that bhvr have no idea what balance is. But so does blight and nurse. Both sides have stupid obnoxious bullshit that bhvr has no clue how to reign in.

Like yeah the verticality thing feels like spaghetti code, but I'm assuming that's fixable. If not a system like this, how would you solve anti camping differently?
I would use this system but would program it somewhat better, perhaps to not start the countdown immediately, so that a killer who has the intended behavior (heh heh) has time to leave the immediate area and get back to work. The hook-near-a-gen situation is somewhat unfortunate so I'd look at the placement math; this might slightly hurt killers if it was rarer to have hooks in such great, convenient locations, though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So long as the anti hook camping mechanic doesn't trigger when all 5 gens are completed, I'm happy.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Kwolok posted:

You can like a thing but also find fault with parts of the thing or the thing's creators that you wish were better. For example, your implied sentiment for this thread.

No one is going to spend time remarking on all of the things in the game that they find okay, so people are obviously going to come across as more negative than they are when all the negative things stand out more.

tithin posted:

So long as the anti hook camping mechanic doesn't trigger when all 5 gens are completed, I'm happy.

It seems like 99% likely to me that it absolutely will. You don't lose basekit BT in end-game either.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 23, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vanguard Warden posted:

It seems like 99% likely to me that it absolutely will. You don't lose basekit BT in end-game either.

They've said it won't. Once the gates are powered the killer has nothing better to do than secure a kill. DS doesn't work once the gates are powered either.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

rydiafan posted:

They've said it won't. Once the gates are powered the killer has nothing better to do than secure a kill. DS doesn't work once the gates are powered either.

This, it's already been said.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Vanguard Warden posted:

No one is going to spend time remarking on all of the things in the game that they find okay, so people are obviously going to come across as more negative than they are when all the negative things stand out more.

Ghost Face is really neat and really like for it, despite being beaten by dash of Weskers. Pig too is really cool. Quite normal but nice addition to the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kwolok posted:

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems

I don't know if I'd call problems like "maps have more than one floor" and "killer hooked a survivor in the basement" extremely edge case. And while it's possible that they are going to address some of this stuff, people have been bringing the points up literally since the thing was announced and they still let it go to PTB like this so...

E:

Positivity? The Xenomorph is the best killer they've released since Wesker and the Dredge, and probably even better for the game's overall health than Wesker. I'm not saying "best" in the sense of being powerful or broken. Just a solid, fun killer to play, and one that has fun counterplay as well (although the flame turrets could probably be tweaked up a bit).

E2: edited tone to be less snarky.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 23, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The flame turrets do seem really weak don't they?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kwolok posted:

The flame turrets do seem really weak don't they?

They literally don't do the one thing they're supposed to do.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

rydiafan posted:

They literally don't do the one thing they're supposed to do.

They also don't stun but that's another issue I think

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mainly put that on survivors plopping them next to gens, the one place Xeno can pop up and automatically disable them

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, but the dispensers are near gens, and you can't run while carrying one, and the same dispenser can't give you another turret right away, and there's a limited number of turrets. So the "correct" way of using turrets, which consists of putting two of them near each other and away from a gen requires a shitload of time running to dispensers and lugging the turrets around, plus the other survivors to not also grab turrets. And if you manage to do all that, you might knock the xenomorph out of crawler mode, at which point it spends 3 second running back and forth in a tunnel and is back to unavailable tail attack mode.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Went ahead and bought Xeno, and dear god I can't play this killer for poo poo. The tail attack is a fiddly nightmare and the range/hitbox doesn't make any sense to me yet and I've only hit a turret with it like once, and the tunnels feel way worse than the killers who have a teleports because I have to get all turned around to find an entrance before I can start going where I was originally looking. Maybe I'm just overly familiar with Nemesis' whip and that's throwing me off.

The Ultimate Weapon perk on other killers is worth it though, that perk is busted. On top of being a better Darkness Revealed/Lethal Pursuer I've been running it on Pig combined with Face the Darkness to chain-interrupt people on jigsaw boxes. My last game resulted in 3 headpops from only 3 traps used, I don't think I've ever gotten that many before. With both of the box time addons the boxes take 18 seconds to solve instead of 12, so just ~2 interrupts is worth the entire duration of the Tampered Timer addon while also helping to stall non-active traps.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Ultimate Weapon is so busted on Pig that I wouldn't be surprised if they change jigsaw boxes to keep their progress when interrupted.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah, Ultimate Weapon is slightly overtuned right now. A little nervous they're going to nerf it into uselessness. Fixing it so you can hide in lockers to counter it is good, but they mostly need to make the effect shorter than the cooldown.

Like, as it is now, the perk effect lasts 30 seconds for the killer, the status effect lasts 30 seconds (from when it hits the survivor, which can be 20 seconds in!), and the cooldown is... also 30 seconds. If you spam it, people are basically permanently blind, which can cause people to lose hook states or die from nobody able to find their hook, slugs bleeding out, etc.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, Ultimate Weapon is slightly overtuned right now. A little nervous they're going to nerf it into uselessness. Fixing it so you can hide in lockers to counter it is good, but they mostly need to make the effect shorter than the cooldown.

Like, as it is now, the perk effect lasts 30 seconds for the killer, the status effect lasts 30 seconds (from when it hits the survivor, which can be 20 seconds in!), and the cooldown is... also 30 seconds. If you spam it, people are basically permanently blind, which can cause people to lose hook states or die from nobody able to find their hook, slugs bleeding out, etc.

unless they changed something the cooldown doesn't start for the killer till the 30 second effect ends? So it's 30 seconds of effect, then 30 seconds of cd, then you can activate it again.

Been a while since I tried it on PTB though, pretty sure that's how it works.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil Kit posted:

unless they changed something the cooldown doesn't start for the killer till the 30 second effect ends? So it's 30 seconds of effect, then 30 seconds of cd, then you can activate it again.

Been a while since I tried it on PTB though, pretty sure that's how it works.

This is correct, you basically can use it for 30s every 60s.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Went ahead and bought Xeno, and dear god I can't play this killer for poo poo. The tail attack is a fiddly nightmare and the range/hitbox doesn't make any sense to me yet and I've only hit a turret with it like once, and the tunnels feel way worse than the killers who have a teleports because I have to get all turned around to find an entrance before I can start going where I was originally looking. Maybe I'm just overly familiar with Nemesis' whip and that's throwing me off.

Just to make sure you know, you can highlight a tunnel entrance click CTRL and it will highlight a route for you when you're underground

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Medullah posted:

Just to make sure you know, you can highlight a tunnel entrance click CTRL and it will highlight a route for you when you're underground

I know, but then I have to (1) spend time pixel-hunting to get the right station highlighted next to the gen I'm looking at if another one is blocking my way, (2) find a tunnel which usually involves turning around completely and facing the other way, and (3) if I'm halfway there and the gen pops so I want to change course I've got to work out the layout of all the gens from underground after I've already spun myself around.

Tiny Myers posted:

If you spam it, people are basically permanently blind,

Not going to lie, I had honestly missed the blindness effect in the description entirely. Even if it were JUST the screaming it would be fantastic and do Darkness Revealed's job better, why the gently caress did they add a status effect to it?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 25, 2023

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

So two things about Xeno's tail attack: It is currently bugged (in a different way from before!) and the actual damage isn't dealt until about a half second AFTER the tail fully extends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhER67NV-Cg

It feels pretty bad right now

And second it doesn't function exactly like Nemesis's whip, ESPECIALLY the drag. Think of the drag more as a bending of the spear shaft instead.
Xeno's tail attack is more akin to a rock on a string (as opposed to Nemesis' stacked spears) and, crucially, the hitbox STOPS when it hits something. If you swat at a wall and then try to drag to the side like you would with Nemesis you will hit the wall and not drag it. If you swat midair and then drag it during the extension (which you can't really do rn due to the delay bug) it will "curve" around the solid object and appear to hit through the wall.
With this you can hit the air above a survivor crouching behind a crate or something, then drag down and "bend" the rope the actual hurtbox is attached to to hit them through the crate.

It looks like reused Nemesis code and feels like reused Deathslinger code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Spaghetti tail.