Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More vcv module chat: the phasor shaper module is my favorite function generator lately. It's meant for those hetrick phasor synth modules that were chatted about a page or two ago, but I noticed if you feed a normal LFO into it you can get some really cool shapes out of it.

Way simpler than stuff like maths or rampage and way more effective than tidal modulator / tides. Give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Warbird, some very quick definitions and links:

VST - virtual instrument (i dunno what the crackronym actually means, who cares). Some of these work as standalone apps, some of them require another app (a DAW) to mount them.

Just wanted to be pedantic here for any noobs and say that VSTs aren't soley instruments. A VST is like its own little program you can run inside other programs as a plug in (tho.many are also standalone) and theres a shitload of different VSTs that can do different things, like virtual instruments, vsts for effects, midi generating vsts, reverb, eq, etc. Pretty much any piece of audio gear or midi function can be a VST. Even entire DAWs can run as VSTs inside other DAWs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ll have you all know I watched about 4 seconds of that linked playlist and I terrified beyond words. I’m going to reread a few of those posts a few times and take a long walk.

Also a big thanks to Arms Akimbo for some very informative DMs on the subject matter as well.

On the subject of Ableton, I apparently have a license for the “lite” flavor of it. Is that worth a drat? I’ll actually sit down and read through the tier comparisons when I get a chance but hot takes make for good forum content.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JamesKPolk posted:

I got on the list mid '22 and just remembered today. 9ish months to go!

4 years and 9 months maybe.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Warbird posted:

I’ll have you all know I watched about 4 seconds of that linked playlist and I terrified beyond words. I’m going to reread a few of those posts a few times and take a long walk.

Also a big thanks to Arms Akimbo for some very informative DMs on the subject matter as well.

On the subject of Ableton, I apparently have a license for the “lite” flavor of it. Is that worth a drat? I’ll actually sit down and read through the tier comparisons when I get a chance but hot takes make for good forum content.

Don't be afraid to try whatever, and know there's many free options available to get started. It can all be overwhelming to start with. Have fun!
Here's a little jam for giggles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsJAEIgSiU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warbird posted:

Yeah, it's plenty good to get your feet wet. The limitations won't hurt until you get pretty advanced.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

titty_baby_ posted:

Just wanted to be pedantic here for any noobs and say that VSTs aren't soley instruments. A VST is like its own little program you can run inside other programs as a plug in (tho.many are also standalone) and theres a shitload of different VSTs that can do different things, like virtual instruments, vsts for effects, midi generating vsts, reverb, eq, etc. Pretty much any piece of audio gear or midi function can be a VST. Even entire DAWs can run as VSTs inside other DAWs.
I'm going to be even more pedantic and say, all of these things are instruments, even just a reverb patched into itself --- maybe especially that. Things that literally only generate MIDI are somewhat more debatable, I will have to think on that :thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYVhrlE4uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqfGbtqDVDk

:sickos:

:getin:

Very relevant as this just popped up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlgFYpDVE0

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Is an eq an instrument?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you wiggle the slider at audio rates, sure!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I flip the power switch at audio rates and use it as a square wave.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Fair enough

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I just discovered the WMD Crucible and I don't know how I missed such an awesome sounding module. Is there anything out there comparable? Software/VCV would be fine too.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i got a thru zero oscillator (nlc fm op) and im having a shitload of fun feeding it a mixture of random audio rate stuff. got 2 more on the way. very fun type of oscillator, i recommend everyone try one out

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hearing a rumor that Moog just laid most everyone off. Probably inevitable after selling themselves to inMusic and especially after they organized but goddamn it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yeah, :rip:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yup, RIP Moog

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gently caress! I didn’t want to have to buy a matriarch this year.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

titty_baby_ posted:

And to add to this: VST is Virtual Studio Technology. AU is Audio Unit. CLAP is CLever Audio Plugin. AAX is Avid Audio eXtension.

All of these define a way for a plugin to pass information to a host. That information is a stream of audio data and/or MIDI data.

You have one device on your computer that makes sound - your audio interface. This is a tiny chip on your motherboard that is barely enough to play CANYON.MID or handle Skype calls or whatever wretched solution your work foists on you. At most it allows you to plug in something with a tiny 3.5mm jack that handles headphones or speakers and a mic at the same time. It’s not suitable to plug in music gear.

If you had a software synth, it would talk to the audio interface and thus claim it for itself, since an audio interface is just a piece of hardware with a bit of memory (the buffer) that gets read out and converted to a voltage.

Now, in general, it’s bad news when two devices want to put stuff in the same piece of memory. Two software synths would fight over who gets to claim it and you wouldn’t end up with anything if both thought the other was hogging it.

The solution is a host. The host is like the mixing desk - the only thing that gets to send audio to the outside world (headphones or speakers). Everything plugs into the host. Sure, you can buy speakers for each synthesizer individually but that’s kind of costly and also kind of nuts.

A DAW is a host that can also do a bit more - it writes down digital sheet music (MIDI) if you let it record the notes from a controller keyboard (which is a synthesizer but without the bit inside that makes noise). It records audio and plays it back. Effects work too - the host will tell the incoming audio where to go and takes what comes out of it, mixes it with the rest, and that’s why you can run a number of synths at the same time.

However, with the tiny chip, your DAW spends most of its time talking to the operating system who gives zero shits about whether the audio of it arrives in time. That means that you can press a key and wait half a second until Windows gets off its rear end and lets that go through to the soundcard. For movies and CDs it doesn’t matter - you press play but don’t care if it only starts playing 200 ms later as long as all is in sync, but for audio you do.

Enter ASIO and CoreAudio which give the host priority for generating sound. If you buy an audio interface like a Focusrite 2i2 it comes with ASIO drivers that expedit this. Also, you can plug proper microphones and instruments into that 2i2. Want to hook up more? Well, there’s an 18i20, so you can guess how many things you can plug in that one.

ASIO is not like having a better GPU for more frames in games - all the math for a softsynth still takes place on the CPU. It does however decrease latency, which is the time needed to fill the buffer. If the buffer is not filled in time because your computer’s not fast enough, you hear crackling - which is the silence that is usually in the buffer. Increasing your buffer size can help. So can buying a faster computer and in case of Windows especially, kill all kinds of background processes.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
so i have quantized input from my rack going into ableton (pam's master clock -> KSP; KSP USB -> PC)

when i record something as audio and then chance the tempo in ableton ex post, it.... just..... works? is this doing loving magic time stretching for me?

it sounds almost seamless taking something that was recorded at 90bpm from plaits and going as low as 40 or high as 160

i have no idea how any of this poo poo works but i guess i'll just keep recording

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey Laserjet, thanks for that effort post.

Regarding bpm change in ableton, I seem to remember Andrew Huang saying that ableton uses some kind of granular time stretching so you don't get pitch shifting with it. Pretty slick stuff.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

so i have quantized input from my rack going into ableton (pam's master clock -> KSP; KSP USB -> PC)

when i record something as audio and then chance the tempo in ableton ex post, it.... just..... works? is this doing loving magic time stretching for me?

it sounds almost seamless taking something that was recorded at 90bpm from plaits and going as low as 40 or high as 160

i have no idea how any of this poo poo works but i guess i'll just keep recording

you kinda already answered your own question, but yes the default behaviour for recorded and imported audio is to warp. if you click the clip it'll give you different algorithm options and you can turn Warp off right above that. i'd include a screenshot but :effort: and I don't have a Mac equivalent of ShareX yet.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
If I wanted to grab the last union made synths, what do I go for? Matriarch I assume?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

Hey Laserjet, thanks for that effort post.

Regarding bpm change in ableton, I seem to remember Andrew Huang saying that ableton uses some kind of granular time stretching so you don't get pitch shifting with it. Pretty slick stuff.

that's just what time stretching is. ableton does have some famously good algorithms for it tho from what i've heard. i wouldn't know but also i've never found myself really feeling held back by a substandard timestretch algorithm.

that said the sound of a rudimentary one pushed to its limits is The Good poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

i'd include a screenshot but :effort: and I don't have a Mac equivalent of ShareX yet.

Command+shift+3 for a full screenshot, command+shift+4 if you want to draw a rectangle.

Or command+shift+5 if you want to record video!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKlMXhxtTM

It’s pretty light on maths.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it ever possible to buy used gear that doesn’t smell like an ashtray?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it's a good video but every time i hear someone talk about FFT i need to listen to Do You Know Squarepusher

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

without really understanding the underlaying implications of what I was doing, I got ableton set up to take clock from a Pam's, and then recorded an audio line.

i recorded it at 90bpm, and when I clicked play I didn't notice the tempo in ableton was 120bpm. I guess there is some kind of automatic time stretching? I need to read how all this stuff works because it feels like god damned black magic; I fed it a somewhat harmonically complex Plaits line and it seems to sound "fine" at anything in the ~40-300bpm range :raise:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

Or command+shift+5 if you want to record video!

Wait, what?!!! :aaaaa:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

withak posted:

Sometimes you get free boogers!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

watho posted:

that said the sound of a rudimentary one pushed to its limits is The Good poo poo

Yes!

One of the most fun ways to mangle a spoken word sample is to stretch one a lot, switch warp mode to texture with 0 flux and then automate/modulate the grain size. For added fun duplicate the track, separate their pans and use a different automation in each.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lepckW5V0M

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

HerzogZwo posted:

If I wanted to grab the last union made synths, what do I go for? Matriarch I assume?

Behringer anything :getin:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, I blame whichever one of you that told me electric kazoos are a thing.
Test run of the kazoo with preamp pedal and a new slice module.
Freaking giggling over here.
https://voca.ro/12VUJXmE2m0f

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Ok, I blame whichever one of you that told me electric kazoos are a thing.
Test run of the kazoo with preamp pedal and a new slice module.
Freaking giggling over here.
https://voca.ro/12VUJXmE2m0f

that may have been me, I got one of these, as well

and immediately proceeded to blast it through a delay wall in a 50w amp aimed at the road. good times

edit: good god, I can play this through spectraphon pitch tracked by Disting, just like the sax :dogstare: Tomorrow is gonna be weird

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

withak posted:

Once in a blue moon you get lucky and can get poo poo at an auction house that came from professional studios, were bought for band tours, or were seized as stolen and repossessed items. They usually smell faintly of industrial solvent and dust particulate.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I bought a sh01a that initially smelled good but upon playing and warming up a little it smelled like dog piss. When I returned it and they asked for the reason I said "smells like dog piss"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The sudden appearance of ancient cigarette smell is a good indicator that your synth is warmed up.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I havent bought any used gear that smells like cigs. All the stuff I got has been pretty odorless except for one module that smelled like cologne. I did buy a nintendo wii about 10 years ago that reeked of marijuana tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

time, what is it, and how do I spend it??