Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

I'm sure this was hyperbole, but I'm not sold on Maye as a prospect, and I say that as someone who actually cares about UNC football. He's good, no doubt, but it just feels like Trubisky 2.0 to me, I dunno.

I'll maintain that Bryce isn't as bad as he's sometimes looked, thanks to a banged up OL, terrible WR corps, and nonexistent running game. He's made some dumb decisions, to be sure, but he didn't step into a plug-and-play offense. I think his best comp right now is Tua, and the Panthers need to similarly buy in and surround him with dope skill talent.

as someone who evidently cares more about UNC football I can tell you drake maye is the best football player of all time, or at least 2nd behind grey cup winning Darian Durant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I feel like this is the week it all comes crashing down. I doubt the Bucs OL will be able to slow down the Eagles ridiculous DL and he's going to be forced to make some bad mistakes.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Buccaneers/status/1704495909982151155?s=20

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
This is a remarkable chart: https://twitter.com/throwthedamball/status/1704243969457013191?t=sAL6glsMFwGyaPJ8EudzAw&s=19

Bryce has the worst receivers at getting open, but is the most accurate when they do get open.

Also, Justin Fields is poo poo.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

three posted:

This is a remarkable chart: https://twitter.com/throwthedamball/status/1704243969457013191?t=sAL6glsMFwGyaPJ8EudzAw&s=19

Bryce has the worst receivers at getting open, but is the most accurate when they do get open.

Also, Justin Fields is poo poo.

Give DJ Moore back, you fucks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Shocker, a Saints player suspended.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1704561606502297804?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

This is for his 2021 DUI. Was expecting this eventually. He was with the Jets then.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

This is for his 2021 DUI. Was expecting this eventually.

I appreciate the timing as we play you guys in week 4.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

I appreciate the timing as we play you guys in week 4.

Yeah the timing sucks but hey you get to see Alvin back and he’s fresh!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah the timing sucks but hey you get to see Alvin back and he’s fresh!

Kamara doesn't scare me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
panthers fans help me understand something

your team is struggling/unwilling? to pay Brian Burns. last season they were offered 2 1sts for him and turned that down. then you traded your best (only??) WR and a future first to get a new qb. now your new young qb has no one to throw to, you're out this years first, and you're down the services of your best pass rusher who could've been two first round picks if they knew they weren't paying him.

how the gently caress does your dumbass gm still have a job?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Relentlessboredomm posted:

your team is struggling/unwilling? to pay Brian Burns. last season they were offered 2 1sts for him and turned that down. then you traded your best (only??) WR and a future first to get a new qb. now your new young qb has no one to throw to, you're out this years first, and you're down the services of your best pass rusher who could've been two first round picks if they knew they weren't paying him.

I blame David Tepper for everything.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I blame David Tepper for everything.

:hmmyes:

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Because Matt Rhule was blamed for everything, but it was actually that Rhule sucked and the GM was a dipshit.

Reminder that we had Haason Reddick too, and he wanted to stay in Carolina, but we didn't try to keep him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Kamara doesn't scare me.

So you'd happily ride in an elevator with him?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I feel like this is the week it all comes crashing down. I doubt the Bucs OL will be able to slow down the Eagles ridiculous DL and he's going to be forced to make some bad mistakes.

I'm also worried. The optimist in me says that we can win if we keep playing mistake-free football on offense but yeah that D line is going to end up either strip sacking Baker or forcing him to throw a pick or two.

If the D could generate a few turnovers like in Week 1 then maybe we squeak out a W. Any Given Sunday and all that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Kamara doesn't scare me.

Almost averaging 2 TDs a game? I’ll take it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the eagles are very good and i have no expectations to win this game but it'd be nice to put up a fight

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

burns isn't sitting out and tepper probably loves that fitterer is trying to save him money

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hindsight is a bitch for sure. If we could do it all again, I'd probably have kept CMC and Moore and shipped Burns for the ransom the Rams offered, but those moves weren't necessarily wrong at the time (except for maybe Moore, because he was the only top-shelf starter we had at WR and our offseason moves weren't enough to compensate). In regard to Burns, elite pass rushers don't grow on trees and it's a must to get to the quarterback in the modern NFL, but you also can't succeed in the modern NFL without a couple stud wideouts. Pretty tough bind for the Panthers, specifically, to be in.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NVP

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1704655802357690460?t=iWCpK-UMruXKuPNi1Usopg&s=19

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

A.o.D. posted:

So you'd happily ride in an elevator with him?

lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Id make the argument that it's easier to find Wide receivers or at least, money ball some production with receiving backs, tight ends and guys who can do a job and hindsight is always hard but...

I would have rather the two firsts to trade burns which likely sees us keep Moore and get out from under the draft hell more quickly.

Trading cmc is whatever - I get it, at the time and the Panthers got fair compensation.

Either way I expect an extension to get done with Burns before mid season. If not... gently caress.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Looks like Bryce Young isn't playing on Sunday

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

kazil posted:

Looks like Bryce Young isn't playing on Sunday

Did I miss something? Apparently he hurt his ankle?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pershing posted:

His pot of gold fell on him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

Wrenched his back when his boss made him fish a fat kid out of the chocolate river

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Typical. Only thing that can get separation on the offense is Bryce's foot from his leg.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

He's small and easily injured

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
But he's so good at ~processing~

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

His pot of gold fell on him.

PostNouveau posted:

Wrenched his back when his boss made him fish a fat kid out of the chocolate river

:golfclap: to both, lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

At that point the panthers were still technically in the playoff hunt and based on when that trade was offered, they might have had their turn around.

Neither the coach or GM are going to want that. The coach was trying to keep the job, and the gm isn’t going to trade for picks he’s probably never going to use. Remember it wasn’t a 2023 first: it was in 24/25.

Trading burns at that point absolutely makes the team worse in the short run.

Right now, considering the direction this season is going, unless there’s a contract breakthrough it’d be malpractice not to trade him before the deadline.

Or they just plan to tag him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

But he's so good at ~processing~

Richardson has a concussion and a knee or something right now and Rodgers Achilles detonated. Both those lads are over 6ft. It's not his size that got his ankle caught up when a dlineman tackled him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

At that point the panthers were still technically in the playoff hunt and based on when that trade was offered, they might have had their turn around.

Neither the coach or GM are going to want that. The coach was trying to keep the job, and the gm isn’t going to trade for picks he’s probably never going to use. Remember it wasn’t a 2023 first: it was in 24/25.

Trading burns at that point absolutely makes the team worse in the short run.

Right now, considering the direction this season is going, unless there’s a contract breakthrough it’d be malpractice not to trade him before the deadline.

Or they just plan to tag him.

i did forget it was a 24/25 first. that's definitely not quite as good.

you think they're trading burns this year or are they going to give him his money? wouldn't be the worst thing to get a WR and a pick out of someone for him

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Richardson has a concussion and a knee or something right now and Rodgers Achilles detonated. Both those lads are over 6ft. It's not his size that got his ankle caught up when a dlineman tackled him.

Oh I don't blame his size at all to be clear, I'm just tired of hearing about how great Bryce's "processing" is when I haven't yet found a single play where it really seems to make a positive difference. Even the descriptions of what "processing" means seem to change from week to week. Is it being good at reading plays before the snap? Every time Bryce audibles it seems like the resulting play gains two yards at most. Is it being able to read the field quickly and find an open receiver? It seems like he's good at doing that when he gets time and there is an open receiver, but his accuracy isn't great on those throws anyway. Meanwhile either his arm strength or reich's play calling keeps defenses from having to respect us deep.

Everyone was told that the reason to draft Bryce Young over the other two big names (sorry will) he was so much more pro ready and so much better at reading defenses and so much better prepared. Meanwhile the guy that went number two has the most passing yards through two games by any rookie ever. Even if Bryce Young does turn into a drat good quarterback, we aren't getting the one advantage out of him that we were promised early on. We passed on a scary accurate quarterback and a scary athletic quarterback because we were supposed to come out of the gate swinging. Now the thing the naysayers said would happen has happened and all of the reasons for making the Bryce selection seem to have gone out the window.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's been two games

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

It's been two games

Yea, but he plays for the Panthers so that’s plenty of time for me to determine that he sucks and always will.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think "processing" is a way to talk about that intangible of ability to get the ball out on time, and it does make a big difference. Those QBs like Darnold who have all the right physical traits but end up looking like goobers cannot process. Darnold and like every big time USC QB. It's the biggest draft mistake a team can make is getting a goober QB who can't time a route properly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Honestly the biggest mistake with Young was getting rid of Moore to get him. I keep thinking of that 2 pt conversion they needed to pull within 3 of the saints late and none of the WRs could get any separation. It was pathetic.

Panthers need a first round WR next year, unless they traded that first too. Then they need a big free agent.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

It's been two games

This makes more sense if we weren't being told all summer that actually Bryce is way ahead of where rookies usually are. The entire justification for Bryce always hinged on how CJ and Richardson would both take so long to develop because of the mental aspect of their game whereas Bryce was supposed to be plug and play. If Richardson can't immediately see a play to his receivers then he can at least run it and Stroud has a chance of throwing them open with that arm. We gave that up to draft Bryce and then surrounded him with talent where he would really need to be able to do one of those two things.

The way the Panthers went about the whole process seems backward to me. They brought in all of these coaching minds and quarterback gurus and then explicitly picked a guy because they think he's going to need less coaching and be ready sooner. Two games in it's arguable that he was the least ready of all three of them, especially when you factor in the team he was playing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

did Bryce hurt his ankle being tackled or did he hurt it during that incredibly awkward slide he attempted