Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah i decided i'm gonna just read the whole book instead of trying halfass livepost my poo poo takes on it, but honestly i would not be surprised if:

I'm gonna speculate and claim with no evidence that our whole system of language was kinda railroaded onto us by us having hands and being able to do gestures, which favored a morpheme-based encoding system that many animals don't use in the same way we do, or at all.
Some or even several animals have relatively complex language which approaches human languages but use very different language strategies than humans.
These animals are effectively indistinguishable from people based on any reasonable analysis.
Maybe this can be proved by essentially developing a kind of google translate, but whatever system is used to set it up will not be a basic-rear end app.

which would instantly be an insane clusterfuck if it ever turned out to be true, but what you gonna do? Idk we already have a psycho society i dunno how well this would end up tbh

I for one would happily absorb your non-human language liveblogging all day

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
decades of painstaking work building an animal communication device to say the following: “sorry bout all this. rip.”

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Squizzle posted:

if any nonhumans are lurking itt i urge you to :justpost::posthaste:

*raises paw*

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ArmZ posted:

*raises paw*

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Already if what this first big chapter is saying is correct it has pretty important implications imo. Dunno i might get sombered by the end of the book.

I would think basically any complex animal could potentially be more intelligent than it appears because we can't intuitively communicate. Medium, mode, and encoding mismatches would easily gently caress it all up.

I don't think I would be blindsided if it came out that there are provably already NHI here with us & we didn't recognize it because they aren't building cities or global warming the place & don't talk like us.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/monkeys-anglia-ruskin-university-brazil-amazonas-b2415463.html
Monkeys turn to nonverbal communication amid city noise

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Lol the card earlier which I translated as "don't get consumed" (Ten Wands, I want to say?) could also have been "make sure you're not overburdened." I read it as concern about you getting sucked under in some form or another. I am guessing now the other way might have been more correct :lol:

fwiw I suspect there are people here who would delight in back-and-forth astrology chat with you in this thread while you are learning.

Haha welp! Learning things is fun though so we'll see how it goes, I know where the priorities need to be.

Mysterious Universe was talking about a cow milking machine that was possessed and I'm here to report not to search the internet for possessed milking machine if you are at work

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Sep 22, 2023

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Alright I just discovered Bigfoot stories asmr I'm not using the internet anymore goodbye bird thread

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lol:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

How it started:

sharknado slashfic posted:

Learning things is fun though so we'll see how it goes, I know where the priorities need to be

How it's going:

Alright I just discovered Bigfoot stories asmr I'm not using the internet anymore goodbye bird thread

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

many such cases!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

where

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

decades of painstaking work building an animal communication device to say the following: “sorry bout all this. rip.”

Ants might not care, birds have been through worse. Dolphins, whales, and elephants, they are going to be mad as hell

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It showed up under the related videos when I was watching the new Esoterica video, I did not click on it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CNN: An asteroid sample is about to land on Earth. Here’s what to expect

quote:

The views of Bennu provided by the spacecraft afforded the mission team unprecedented insights about the asteroid, which included the discovery of water ice locked within Bennu’s rocks and carbon in a form largely associated with biology. The team also witnessed particles from the asteroid releasing into space.

The spacecraft spiraled closer and closer to the asteroid until it went in for a historic TAG, or Touch-and-Go sample collection event, on October 20, 2020.

Along the way, challenges threatened the success of the mission, including that the sample collection head on the spacecraft collected so much material that the container couldn’t seal properly, leaking precious asteroid material into space.

quote:

The sample will reveal information about the formation and history of our solar system as well as the role of asteroids in helping develop habitable planets such as Earth. Scientists believe that carbonaceous asteroids such as Bennu crashed into Earth early during their formation, delivering elements like water.

“We’re looking for clues as to why Earth is a habitable world — this rare jewel in outer space that has oceans and has a protective atmosphere,” said Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx principal investigator at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

“We think all of those materials were brought by these carbon-rich asteroids very early in our planetary system formation. We believe that we’re bringing back that kind of material, literally maybe representatives of the seeds of life that these asteroids delivered at the beginning of our planet that led to this amazing biosphere, biological evolution and to us being here today.”

leaky alien spore box Sunday y'all :getin:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Might as well add xenocovid to the news cycle

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

I think this is how some lovely Ryan Reynolds movie I either watched, or at least saw the trailer for started

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

did radar consent to having his spores collected???

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

hey what'd you bring for offering today? some rocks? oh uh those look great thanks :rolleye:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I wonder if the aliens told Cleopatra to gently caress my boy Julius as part of some long term plan

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Aliens gave ancient Egyptian artists the side scroller video game

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

Aliens gave ancient Egyptian artists the side scroller video game

Ancient Egyptians existed in a 2D universe until the aliens arrived and pointed to the third dimension, it's right there

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Had some UAP chat with the girlfriend's family last night and found a cool hat today. Kismet and all that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

Had some UAP chat with the girlfriend's family last night and found a cool hat today. Kismet and all that.

As an Indian I just wanna say that Kismet is tied to the idea that poor people deserve to be poor because of their Karma, and rich people deserve to be rich because of their Karma (Karma and Kismet matters for your next lives, not your current one), and the entire idea was invented by the ruling classes as a means of control that was woven into the Caste system. I forgive you don't worry. Just pointing it out so that hopefully less people treat eastern religions as some kind of exotic animes.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Sep 22, 2023

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4njhZa6E5OY
Today's ESOTERICA video is also about Egypt

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kismet is translated as "Destiny" or "Fate", but that doesn't capture it, the western concept of "Manifest Destiny" is closer, but not exact, because it doesn't include all the weird reincarnation aspects.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Sep 23, 2023

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the spinny bird that some guy recorded, completely forget about, and randomly remembered appeared again close to some ruins in ecuador https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16pl9kt/ufo_near_ingapirca_ruins/

the phenomena's consistency is impressive and even still with a newer (maybe) shape that this thread took notice of

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Rickshaw posted:

Also I think I've said it before but I think any objective collapse interpretation of QM is sort of a cop out, I think QM is trying to tell us something very deep and shocking that should rightly overturn our ontology, and by attempting to turn it back into a more or less classical probability thing with stochastic collapse based on some physical criteria is trying to weasel out of the deepest implications of it all. but that's just a feeling, tbh
:hai:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Rickshaw posted:

Also I think I've said it before but I think any objective collapse interpretation of QM is sort of a cop out, I think QM is trying to tell us something very deep and shocking that should rightly overturn our ontology, and by attempting to turn it back into a more or less classical probability thing with stochastic collapse based on some physical criteria is trying to weasel out of the deepest implications of it all. but that's just a feeling, tbh

The 2022 Nobel prize winners for physics did prove that the universe isn't locally real, that hasn't had enough time yet to be integrated with everything else

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Sep 23, 2023

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Tekne posted:

the spinny bird that some guy recorded, completely forget about, and randomly remembered appeared again close to some ruins in ecuador https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16pl9kt/ufo_near_ingapirca_ruins/

the phenomena's consistency is impressive and even still with a newer (maybe) shape that this thread took notice of

the power pole is also spinning. maybe broken image stabilization but clearly a camera issue

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know what video was on the DVD allegedly shown to the Congressmen?

someone in the replies said it was likely the alien puppet hoax video :shrug:

https://twitter.com/unexplained2020/status/1705276377967063247

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

neutral milf hotel posted:

anyone know what video was on the DVD allegedly shown to the Congressmen?

someone in the replies said it was likely the alien puppet hoax video :shrug:

https://twitter.com/unexplained2020/status/1705276377967063247

yes its this one

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0404780/

the video scared me a lot when I was 12

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

astrology is for people who like math

Hand calculating maybe, but theres a lot of software and web apps that do the heavy lifting for most of the math heavy stuff like lot caclulations and zodiacal releasing

Lot calculations are real simple algebra and ZR is... Dont worry about it

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

this owns

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

Hand calculating maybe, but theres a lot of software and web apps that do the heavy lifting for most of the math heavy stuff like lot caclulations and zodiacal releasing

Lot calculations are real simple algebra and ZR is... Dont worry about it

youre not hearing me
its all math
its for people who like math

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
doesn't everyone like math? :confused:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

youre not hearing me
its all math
its for people who like math

I literally had a coworker teaching me basic calculus for funsies for the last couple months so i guess you're right?

But astrology owns so

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yeah I noticed that too lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Calculus is the best math and they should teach it much sooner than they do. How can a math that's literally about infinities not approach the sublime?