Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/control-narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its astounding how good Konami is to their games such as Metal Gear collection
https://mynintendonews.com/2023/09/22/konami-updates-metal-gear-collection-resolutions-and-framerates-chart/

Astounding

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jack Trades posted:

I imagine that the SMT 3 Remaster didn't improve the interface?

The remaster lets you select the skills to inherit manually rather than backing out and in of the fusion menu over and over until it randomly selects the ones you want, but is otherwise unchanged.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Upsidads posted:

Its astounding how good Konami is to their games such as Metal Gear collection
https://mynintendonews.com/2023/09/22/konami-updates-metal-gear-collection-resolutions-and-framerates-chart/

Astounding

lmao at the switch somehow running MGS2 at half the framerate that it ran on the PS2

bravo konami

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It’s really incredible that a pirated version of the no longer available mgs2 pc port with a fan patch will likely run better at a higher resolution than those. I really hope they can be patched if it’s like it seems and maxing out at 1080p somehow in 2023. Just thinking about metal gear rising and how even though there is a patch to fix the resolution above 1080p you can run into a game breaking bug pretty easily with it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

lmao at the switch somehow running MGS2 at half the framerate that it ran on the PS2

bravo konami

no modern processor can match the sheer emotional power of the emotion engine

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Recently finished Kentucky Route 0 and I'm still itching for something narrative focused... would appreciate some recs.

Things roughly in the same vein that I've already played & enjoyed:

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, Night in the Woods, Gone Home, Tacoma, Beginners Guide, Oxenfree, Life is Strange, 80 Days, Aviary Attorney, Disco Elysium

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

McKracken posted:

Recently finished Kentucky Route 0 and I'm still itching for something narrative focused... would appreciate some recs.

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, Night in the Woods, Gone Home, Tacoma, Beginners Guide, Oxenfree, Life is Strange, 80 Days, Aviary Attorney, Disco Elysium

What Remains of Edith Finch
Detroit: Become Human

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Chants of Sennaar, maybe. Or The Case Of The Golden Idol. Both not technically very narrative games, but also in a way they are.

edit: some more suggestions

Tyrion Cuthbert, Attorney of the Arcane
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Strange Horticulture
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
Not For Broadcast
The Forgotten City
Overboard

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 22, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McKracken posted:

Pentiment
Wandersong
Tales from the Borderlands

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 22, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McKracken posted:

Might be of interest: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/control-narrative

Also: Citizen Sleeper

E: god yes, Pentiment, do that

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

McKracken posted:

I really, really recommend Pentiment

More narratively deep "detective games":
Hypnospace Outlaw
Obra Dinn depending on what you liked about Gone Home?
Oh! The Case of the Golden Idol might not quite fit but it's amazing and don't let the off-putting art style off-put you
If you like Aviary Attorney, the Ace Attorney games are pretty much exactly that (and also on sale)

EDIT: Does Outer Wilds count? If it does, it's my strongest recommendation next to Pentiment

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 22, 2023

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

McKracken posted:

Pentiment is absolutely the answer here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Despite all the unbelievably good GOTY contenders that have come out this year, pentiment is still my favorite thing I’ve played in the last 9 months.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

McKracken posted:

Seconding all of those:

Citizen Sleeper
Pentiment
What Remains of Edith Finch

Adding:

Soma
Hypnospace Outlaw
Norco
Road 96
Paradise Killer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Owl Inspector posted:

Despite all the unbelievably good GOTY contenders that have come out this year, pentiment is still my favorite thing I’ve played in the last 9 months.

yeah, same. it’s just such an incredibly-crafted thing

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Opus: Echo of Starsong looks interesting. Has anyone here played it?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Roadwarden

I got this and Pentiment at the same sale and it's Roadwarden that I got pulled into first after starting both games. It's got a bit of a throwback text adventure game interface where every thing is done through descriptive text but the characters are interesting and kooky enough to care about how their story lines fail or succeed.

First time I chose not to get any of the undead village solutions because I was waiting to find a perfect one and ended up accidentally allowing the creation of a lich sorcerer that will gather strength to one day plague the world. Oops. The time limit on the first play through will cause some quest lines to be incomplete so it's a game that's good for at least two runs if you are looking from something with replayability.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

McKracken posted:

2nding Pentiment and Roadwarden

Heavy Recommendation for Perfect Tides

But also
Astrologaster
Eliza
Harmony: The Fall of Reveire
Overboard!
Wanderlust: Travel Stories
Scarlet Hollow

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Astrologaster is also really good

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
N-thing Pentiment.

I'm only on the second chapter, but I already love it so much I think it'll be the first game I actually play to completion this year.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Stasis: Bone Totem is phenomenal, if you're up for a story that's more on the bleak horror side (though it's also pretty drat funny, courtesy of the robot bear toy that doesn't know what a corpse is).

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Jossar posted:

Well, what's a few more for the pile then, right?

I have two games that I'm aware of on my radar that just released today, but whereas Airship: Kingdoms Adrift seems pretty unfinished/mid, Astrea: Six-Sided Oracles seems very good for those of the roguelike deckbuilder (dicebuilder) persuasion, as indicated by people who somehow already have hundreds of hours in it (presumably from demos/beta access, unless they have learned to defy the laws of time). Gimme a sec to see if I can fish out the review I did of it for a festival...

I really like the sound of Astrea and the 100% reviews so far are pretty convincing, but my brain has a hard time with that presentation. Pastel gibberish covering every inch of the screen

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

skeletronics posted:

N-thing Pentiment.

I'm only on the second chapter, but I already love it so much I think it'll be the first game I actually play to completion this year.

It was the only game I finished in 2022, and I chose correctly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

McKracken posted:

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Return of the Obra Dinn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

2023 had too many games and it's not even over yet. Hoping for zero new releases in 2024 so I can get around to actually playing Armored Core 6 and Baldurs Gate 3 and all the others.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Another Code Recollection, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, Tekken 8, FF7 Rebirth, Avowed, Black Myth: Wukong, Earthblade (Celeste dev), FF14: Dawntrail, Hyper Light Breaker, Little Nightmares 3, Palworld, SaGa Emerald Beyond, Hellblade 2, Skate Story, Star Wars Outlaws, The Plucky Squire, The Wolf Among Us 2, Homeworld 3, Animal Well, Clock Tower remaster, Trails Through Daybreak, Picross S+, Shantae 6, Stalker 2, Nivalis, My Familiar, Townseek, Cryptmaster, Antonblast, Paper Trail, Slave Zero X, Penny's Big Breakaway, Mythwrecked

e: also American Arcadia which just announced they'll be participating in next month's Steam Next Fest with a demo for the first time

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 23, 2023

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Pigbuster posted:

Stasis: Bone Totem is phenomenal, if you're up for a story that's more on the bleak horror side (though it's also pretty drat funny, courtesy of the robot bear toy that doesn't know what a corpse is).
I'd also recommend Beautiful Desolation by the same developers, for a highly original post-apocalyptic transhumanist setting.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Hell yeah thanks for all this!

I dig all of Josh Sawyer and Obsidians work so Pentiment was on the radar but I'll be grabbing it this weekend based on all the responses.

Obra Dinn and Hypnospace were already on my wishlist, added pretty much everything else that was suggested.

Somehow totally missed Perfect Tides & Astrologaster which both look extremely on brand for my tastes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

I'd also recommend Beautiful Desolation by the same developers, for a highly original post-apocalyptic transhumanist setting.

Yeah I was already interested in that game, and when I saw they made it I snatched it right away. It's ludicrously cheap on GOG right now, too

Their worldbuilding is just so good. Dystopian megacorps are a dime-a-dozen, but I can't say I've ever seen "dystopian megacorp that's also the dominant religion after disproving god and inventing heaven" before

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

E. Revenant posted:

Roadwarden

I got this and Pentiment at the same sale and it's Roadwarden that I got pulled into first after starting both games. It's got a bit of a throwback text adventure game interface where every thing is done through descriptive text but the characters are interesting and kooky enough to care about how their story lines fail or succeed.

First time I chose not to get any of the undead village solutions because I was waiting to find a perfect one and ended up accidentally allowing the creation of a lich sorcerer that will gather strength to one day plague the world. Oops. The time limit on the first play through will cause some quest lines to be incomplete so it's a game that's good for at least two runs if you are looking from something with replayability.

I really enjoyed Roadwarden. I played in the mode with no time limits though. The music is really, really good considering most of it is some creative noodling around an acoustic guitar. Very memorable.

The characters were well written and interesting and I found the story quite compelling. Would recommend, especially if you're into text adventure games.

I tried the demo and was immediately hooked, and that feeling lasted the entire game. I did need to use a guide to solve some of the open ended, "enter text to indicate what to do" parts though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I loved Roadwarden; the third-person combat was weighty and visceral, and I really enjoyed building my armored-up car for vehicle combat. The Wastelands were full of interesting characters, although I would have liked an easier time finding fuel early on. Mel Gibson really gave personality to Max, which the game built on and expanded. I’m hoping for a sequel: can’t wait to tear up Bartertown!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The thing about Pentiment is that it's fantastic. So if you like fantastic games, you're in for a treat!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

man it’s so good, I want to play it again but I want to be able to really focus on it and my gaming time is very fragmented these days so I keep putting it off…

ordered the vinyl though

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pentiment is a really special game, but there's something structural I dislike about it that I can't talk about without spoilers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The 7th Guest posted:

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Another Code Recollection, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, Tekken 8, FF7 Rebirth, Avowed, Black Myth: Wukong, Earthblade (Celeste dev), FF14: Dawntrail, Hyper Light Breaker, Little Nightmares 3, Palworld, SaGa Emerald Beyond, Hellblade 2, Skate Story, Star Wars Outlaws, The Plucky Squire, The Wolf Among Us 2, Homeworld 3, Animal Well, Clock Tower remaster, Trails Through Daybreak, Picross S+, Shantae 6, Stalker 2, Nivalis, My Familiar, Townseek, Cryptmaster, Antonblast, Paper Trail, Slave Zero X, Penny's Big Breakaway, Mythwrecked

e: also American Arcadia which just announced they'll be participating in next month's Steam Next Fest with a demo for the first time

Please, my plate is already so full.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Pentiment is a really special game, but there's something structural I dislike about it that I can't talk about without spoilers.

I have it but put off playing it because I was super excited for it and then saw this spoiler (I'm pretty sure it is the one you're talking about) and even if I know it is good knowing the spoiler it's super disappointing that it was spoiled for me and I don't get the full effect of the idea. I really love the idea but it's one of those 'knowing it means it loses impact' kind of things.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I liked the game a lot, but came away with the same feeling.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Please nobody elaborate on the Pentiment spoiler even in tags. This discussion just made me earmark it for purchase this sale out of curiosity and I'm too broke-brained not to hover over spoilers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't played the game and probably won't so I read the spoiler and yeah knowing that ahead of time sounds like it would take the wind out of the whole game's sails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

For what it's worth, I'm not even sure what twist they're talking about with Pentiment.

I loved the game with absolutely no reservations, it's fantastic. Has the most gorgeous fonts you'll ever see in a video game.