Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

He hurt it carrying the whole team on his back #KeepPounding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

did Bryce hurt his ankle being tackled or did he hurt it during that incredibly awkward slide he attempted

When he was rolling out right and was sacked from behind

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

It's been two games

this is why i love week 1-2 so much

a million takes/narratives are born from such a small sample size of games

For example, Baker just wins games!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

zimbomonkey posted:

Oh I don't blame his size at all to be clear, I'm just tired of hearing about how great Bryce's "processing" is when I haven't yet found a single play where it really seems to make a positive difference. Even the descriptions of what "processing" means seem to change from week to week. Is it being good at reading plays before the snap? Every time Bryce audibles it seems like the resulting play gains two yards at most. Is it being able to read the field quickly and find an open receiver? It seems like he's good at doing that when he gets time and there is an open receiver, but his accuracy isn't great on those throws anyway. Meanwhile either his arm strength or reich's play calling keeps defenses from having to respect us deep.

Everyone was told that the reason to draft Bryce Young over the other two big names (sorry will) he was so much more pro ready and so much better at reading defenses and so much better prepared. Meanwhile the guy that went number two has the most passing yards through two games by any rookie ever. Even if Bryce Young does turn into a drat good quarterback, we aren't getting the one advantage out of him that we were promised early on. We passed on a scary accurate quarterback and a scary athletic quarterback because we were supposed to come out of the gate swinging. Now the thing the naysayers said would happen has happened and all of the reasons for making the Bryce selection seem to have gone out the window.

I love this take.

And it’s right.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

This makes more sense if we weren't being told all summer that actually Bryce is way ahead of where rookies usually are. The entire justification for Bryce always hinged on how CJ and Richardson would both take so long to develop because of the mental aspect of their game whereas Bryce was supposed to be plug and play. If Richardson can't immediately see a play to his receivers then he can at least run it and Stroud has a chance of throwing them open with that arm. We gave that up to draft Bryce and then surrounded him with talent where he would really need to be able to do one of those two things.

The way the Panthers went about the whole process seems backward to me. They brought in all of these coaching minds and quarterback gurus and then explicitly picked a guy because they think he's going to need less coaching and be ready sooner. Two games in it's arguable that he was the least ready of all three of them, especially when you factor in the team he was playing with.

The receiver talent and the structure of the offense isn't on Bryce as a player though. I get where you're coming from but Young is very much ahead of guys even who have been pros for a number of years like Darnold and Fields. I don't know if you've watched the QB school breakdowns of his first two games but it's probably worth a watch to see the game and plays being broken down in real time.

There's a number of throws that live looked like the wrong option, or not as good as they could have been but through two weeks in all the breakdowns there's only really been two or three bad plays where he's mildly over thrown or been inaccurate. For the most part he's been right on the money, right on schedule but there's been a lot of occasions where there's just absolutely no one open, no separation and the route concepts are far too slow developing.

You can see it alone in a lot of his drop backs simply in the way he gets to the top of his drop and goes through his progressions - he's adept at those things. He doesn't have a plus arm but neither does Tua and neither did Brady in the years where he still routinely put up over 35 touchdowns etc.

I think there's a number of factors as to why the offense has been sputtering but I don't think Bryce is contributing to the issues 1/10 as much as the receiver group, offensive line, scheming and running game has. For starters the Panthers are spending way too much time on 2nd and 3rd and long, instead of in more manageable down and distance situations and there simply haven't been the sustained drives where the running game has been successful, and it often hasn't been due to there being 8 in the box where the defensive mis matches can be exploited. The lack of a true downfield threat at the moment that can with consistency has been a factor, on his two interceptions and a near interception the safeties have basically been able to buzz down, or have been undercutting routes, the slow developing trap and rub plays are simply taking too long to develop, etc, etc, etc.

The more I've seen the more it's actually cemented my comfort with Bryce as a future long term QB and increased my discomfort with everything else. To me - atleast it seems there's a very good reason that Sanders wasn't re-signed in philly, thielen was allowed to hit the bricks and detroit gave 0 fucks about losing their former guy. Not to keep making the comparison with the GOAT, but even in those years where Brady was lacking in the outside receiver position there were always multiple running backs, tight ends, move players and generally - one slot receiver who was capable of making a difference. Hurst has been. fine. but he's not Gronkowski or Hernandez, Sanders is fine but he doesn't catch out of the backfield like a dependable option and the rest - thomas, hubbard, etc are just guys. There's no Edelman or Welker who's automatic on a 3rd and 5 because he will smoke a linebacker, there's just 5/10 guys across the board. Even Mingo who was supposed to be a dawg going after the ball is getting out muscled by 175 pound corner backs and Terrace Marshall seems to quit on routes on a whim.

The most glaring thing I actually took away from QB school vids was that there's just a lack of options. If Bryce was looking at his reads and missing guys screaming open with their hand raised I think you'd have a point about not seeing his mental game, but there's multiple - and I mean like 90% of plays where guys are just blanketed by middling secondary talent. If you don't believe me, throw a video on and just pick like 4 minutes in and watch how many plays in row the high angle just shows absolutely no one getting a clean release and beating their guy. It's the worst I've ever seen in an NFL offense.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

BlindSite posted:

The receiver talent and the structure of the offense isn't on Bryce as a player though. I get where you're coming from but Young is very much ahead of guys even who have been pros for a number of years like Darnold and Fields. I don't know if you've watched the QB school breakdowns of his first two games but it's probably worth a watch to see the game and plays being broken down in real time.

For context, I have watched pretty much every piece of bryce young content on youtube probably. I have been mainlining this poo poo for months trying to get a sense of how things were gonna go and all the leaks and comments from practice were making me optimistic. I've seen both of JT's breakdowns and a few other takes. I don't dislike Bryce and I agree that it's not on him. My disappointment comes from the organizational failure and the baffling decision making that got us here.

BlindSite posted:

I think there's a number of factors as to why the offense has been sputtering but I don't think Bryce is contributing to the issues 1/10 as much as the receiver group, offensive line, scheming and running game has. For starters the Panthers are spending way too much time on 2nd and 3rd and long, instead of in more manageable down and distance situations and there simply haven't been the sustained drives where the running game has been successful, and it often hasn't been due to there being 8 in the box where the defensive mis matches can be exploited. The lack of a true downfield threat at the moment that can with consistency has been a factor, on his two interceptions and a near interception the safeties have basically been able to buzz down, or have been undercutting routes, the slow developing trap and rub plays are simply taking too long to develop, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, this right here is exactly why it's so concerning. We aren't ready at other positions, why did we have to go get the guy with the lowest ceiling because he can win now? Did the coaches think they were gonna scheme this bunch open? With this playbook? What kind of habits are we building for him? When he gets a receiver worth a drat will he even remember what to do with him? Bryce was supposed to elevate this offense with his creativity but that hasn't been nearly enough and this strategy has put him in the worst case scenario for his skillset and body type. I think that's worth talking about now, no matter what happens in the future.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 23, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think saints fans might get a bit salty in the coming weeks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coasterphreak posted:

I think saints fans might get a bit salty in the coming weeks.

The long drive to Biloxi for bottled water is gonna suck now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1706009869852041424?t=EX_fgH4UOAN9LivjT6nyIQ&s=19

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

same old falcons team baby

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Not really, the defense actually looks pretty good. Now the offense is hosed, totally opposite than usual! So refreshing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

oh I just meant that they loving suck

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

while im glad the meltdown loss didn't happen inside the division, id have much prefered it be to the lions. not the loving packers.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Tatsuta Age posted:

oh I just meant that they loving suck

They're better than last year. Defense looked pretty good, O line needs help. Ridder....meh.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

while im glad the meltdown loss didn't happen inside the division, id have much prefered it be to the lions. not the loving packers.

It was a pretty good possibility as soon as Jameis came in. Can’t just stop doing anything on offense and expect your defense to hold forever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
God I hope Carr isn't hurt badly.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I hope his arm falls off.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

There will be more opportunities to watch more of the same this season, and in the coming years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sean Payton had a day I see

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thanks, packers.

thackers.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

bucs fans talking a lot of poo poo right before they lose by 20 to the eagles

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

where

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NFCS: we're back baby!

Bucs gonna get rolled by the Eagles tomorrow.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Who’s talking poo poo? Saints collapse sucked since they had that game in hand and gently caress the packers but no bucs fan here thinks we’re gonna look good against the eagles

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

You think we'll only lose by 20?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Who’s talking poo poo? Saints collapse sucked since they had that game in hand and gently caress the packers but no bucs fan here thinks we’re gonna look good against the eagles

Hard to have the game in hand when you spent the whole second half not getting first downs.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's the nfl so tampa has a chance tomorrow but i'm not getting my hopes too high

(i am absolutely getting my hopes too high)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
It has been a bit odd with everyone (not panthers) doing well the first couple of weeks (except panthers) then it was about time for a hiccup (like the panthers)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hard to have the game in hand when you spent the whole second half not getting first downs.

I mean up 17 points going into the 4th is game in hand to me. Yea having the offense just up and vanish is a valid way to meltdown

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's the nfl so tampa has a chance tomorrow but i'm not getting my hopes too high

(i am absolutely getting my hopes too high)

I'm sticking with Baker Just Wins Games mentality

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Dalton just hit the Panthers #1 WR in the face with the ball for an incompletion. This receiving corp is a crime against god.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I mean up 17 points going into the 4th is game in hand to me. Yea having the offense just up and vanish is a valid way to meltdown

*in Panthers voice* "Offense can't up and vanish if it never exists in the first place!"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I mean up 17 points going into the 4th is game in hand to me.

In Saints fan land this is, to quote Kawalimus, “basically a tie.”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Sean Payton had a day I see

It's like he's trying to coach himself out of the hall of fame.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It's like he's trying to coach himself out of the hall of fame.

He wasn’t a lock to begin with but sure not helping his case now even though he probably couldn’t have known that Vance Joseph has apparently completely forgotten how football works.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He wasn’t a lock to begin with but sure not helping his case now even though he probably couldn’t have known that Vance Joseph has apparently completely forgotten how football works.

At the rate he's going, he'll be lucky to have a job come black Monday. He might not even last the whole season.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

At the rate he's going, he'll be lucky to have a job come black Monday. He might not even last the whole season.

He’s fine. At worst he’ll fire Vance Joseph into the sun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

He’s fine. At worst he’ll fire Vance Joseph into the sun.

We'll see. It's one thing to lose a string of close games, it's another to get blown out week after week.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

We'll see. It's one thing to lose a string of close games, it's another to get blown out week after week.

If he can rehabilitate Russ and the offense he’s not getting fired. They’re stuck with Russ, they need someone who can salvage him. The defense can be fixed with decent hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Payton does deserve fired, I agree completely