Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i'll do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
in

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Dear Imprudence
100 words

“Hey homo! What’cha doin’, playin’ with yerself?” demanded Oscar.

“Talking with a fairy,” said Morgan.

“Talkin’ to yerself? Fuckin fairies. Where?”

“Over there,” said Morgan, pointing to a nearby shock of dandelions..

“I don’t see nothin’.”

“That’s because you have to believe in fairies in order to see them.”

Oscar walked to the dandelions. “Right here? Yer friend right ‘bout here?”

“Yes,” said Morgan.

Oscar stomped the dandelions flat with a hi-top.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” said Morgan.

“What’re you gonna do about it?” said Oscar.

I’m not going to do anything about it,” said Morgan.

“Ribbit,” said Oscar.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Restitution
100 words

The fairies have insinuating fingers and I can feel them on my scalp. The hair-fine cracks on my skull where the fragments of my soft-formed baby's cranium met, their fingertips are in there now: gentle, insistent.

"Where is it?" they ask. "Where did you put it?"

I never meant to steal their gold and spend it on residential property, it was a momentary impulse.

There are no courts that would convict me. I lack mens rea, a guilty mind!

Yet, anxious, I recall seeing a tree that grew right through a wall. Those first green shoots, so pale and soft.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Vale’s Last Stand
100 words

Lieutenant Vale landed split-squat and raygunned the fresh-risen daisies into a corona of purple ash. Jet-booted two metres up as scythes sliced for her legs, their fey wielders evil of claw and intent.

A fresh circle, the scent of violets. In its abyssal centre Vale saw her lost Captain’s face. She sobbed; fumbled her landing. With one, two backflips she dodged the advancing fey. But not her broken heart.

A scythe at her back. Again, Vale jetted straight up. The thrice-cursed land spread out beneath her. Row upon row of fairy circles, and in them all her Captain’s eyes, calling.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Payment Rendered
100 Words

"Greg, how did your room get so clean?" Greg's mom looks around the room in wonder. Even under the bed is spotless.

"The fairies helped me, Mom!"

She looks in his backpack. "Is your homework done too?"

Greg's math homework is written in a fine copperplate hand, all of his word problems finished.

"The fairies helped me, Mom!"

Slightly bewildered, she looks at her son standing there, beaming. "Well, if your chores are done, then I guess you can play Switch."

After a few minutes, Greg's mom asks, "Have you seen your sister?"

"The fairies don't work for free, Mom!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

in

Ouzo Maki
Jul 4, 2023
In

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
UNTITLED TRANSCRIPT

code:
Thank you for calling Cleaning Fairies where a little help is a big help my name is Patricia in order for me to assist you may I please have the account number.

Thank you one moment.

Okay and who am I speaking with.

Please slow down sir

Sir

I’m have trouble hearing you with the background

Sir

Sir the contract clearly references customer responsibility to provide fresh cr

Well perhaps the date on the carton was wrong sir

Sir please do not use offensive language

Sir

I’m hanging up sir.

Thank you for calling Cleaning Fairies where a little help 

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

In

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Black Beast
100 words

The Morsel was quiet again, and its horrible mother had left to cook her foul "stew”. Peering from a crack in the wall, Snatchfast could see the Morsel had grown even plumper since their last attempt. His mouth watered in anticipation. He gestured to his kin, and they all rushed to the legs of the great table.

A terrible sound rang through the room. The cries of the black beast. Snatchfast signaled retreat, but it was too late. The beast snatched his robe in its snapping jaws and pinned him with one rough paw, canine teeth closing on his head.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

I'm in. Let's do this.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

It’s Just Seasonal
100 Words

OK, circle up. It’s our busy season so we can’t have a long meeting about this. OK. That’s everyone. I know the State of Florida, the scientific community, and probably many people in this room do not recognize the existence of faerie creatures – or pixies or leprechauns or ghosts. I can’t have an argument right now. We have them – something – in the office. I’ve seen them. They’re tiny people, but, I think, as entities, they’re much larger. One lit my trashcan on fire. I can’t take you off your audits, but I need you to keep an eye out. Please.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
In

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

T-minus
100 words

code:
FAIRY CONTROL OFFICER: "Announce go/no go for cobbling. Repeat.  Announce go/no go for cobbling."

TRANSIT: "We are go."

TOOLS: "Go.

SUPPORT: "Go!"

SUPPLIES: "Go."

SKILLS: "Go."

FORWARD ADVANCE: "No Go! We are No Go! Cold Iron detected in workshop. Repeat. No Go!"

FCO: "No Go received and confirmed. Abort Cobbling. Abort Cobbling. Abort Cobbling."

GROANS AND SIGHS HEARD OVER TRANSMISSION

TOOLS: "What? Why is there Cold Iron in the workshop?"

FA: "Looks like the cobbler called a plumber and he left some iron behind."

FCA: "This is a recorded line. Quit the chatter. We'll try it again tomorrow."

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

It's a Deal
93 words

Threads flow from ancient wrist: red as war, thin as hope. Each one a debt owed, aged like fine wine in the gnarled body of the Godmother. A task needs doing. The Godmother examines her ledger, plucks a string, calls forth a godchild. If they are wise and clever they may escape with their soul unmarred. A broken promise will wound both ways: Godmother’s arms are laced with old scars. Her hut is surrounded by empty skulls. The Godmother’s smile is iron. She makes her request, and waits to hear wisdom or weakness.

TheMackening
Jun 19, 2023
Fairy Ring
100 words

How long have I been crouched here? It feels like it's been ages. Humans normally come through here more often. When was the last one, a week ago?

The little goblin grumbles to himself about debts owed and how stupid humans don't walk through the woods like they used to.

A few minutes later, a jogger pauses on the footpath for a drink of water, checking their heartrate. The goblin sneaks up from behind and scares them. The jogger stumbles off the path, right into the fairy ring, disappearing in a flash.

Only forty-three more people to go! he cackles.

TheMackening
Jun 19, 2023
The Forest
100 Words

A forest full of plants of every shape and size, impossibly green and vibrant. The leaves shift in the breeze while streams of sunlight pour through the canopy, creating pools of light and glowing plants below. He could almost hear the babbling of a nearby brook, birdsong, and the orchestra of crickets. This beautiful sight would be his last. And to think, this world glimpsed in the eyes of a small, murderous fairy. Her pointy teeth are sharp and dripping with his blood as she stands on his face, peering into his eyes to see if he is still alive.

TheMackening
Jun 19, 2023
Death Awaits
100 Words

She ran, her breathing ragged. Bare feet slap the wet earth. As she looks over her shoulder, she slips on fallen leaves and scrambles back to her feet, hopelessly pushing forward. Cloth is wrapped tightly around her, securing her infant child close to her chest. The little one whimpers and she tries to shush the babe before glancing back again. The figure looms behind her, casually trudging through the trees. Its long, scraggly hair hides its body. The mother pushes onward, trying desperately to get away. She hears a loud, rattling breath and goes pale. Too late. The banshee screams.

Popeston
Feb 1, 2009

Urbi et Orci
I've been thinking about this, I'm in.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

In

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

In

Popeston
Feb 1, 2009

Urbi et Orci
Untrue Name
100 Words

“Don’t be the next Rumpelstiltskin.”

I sip on my latte, the taste of curdling milk on my tongue tells me Grunirhinge didn’t appreciate the reference. I press on.

“Old names don’t work anymore. Spitalcrick, Pisselpop? Too unique, one Google search from disaster. But this?”

I turn my screen to the Fae and hit him with the closer.

“Don’t be a fish in sea, hide in the forest as one of the trees.”

The twee bullshit always gets the traditionalists. Grunirhinge nods.

“This wisdom is clear to me,” he says. “Let my son be named-”

Grunirhinge squints at the screen.

“Whatismyip.”

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Bespoke Bodies
100 words

https://thunderdome.cc/?story=11452&title=Bespoke+Bodies

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 2, 2024

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

im judge 2

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Rêverie en Vert

I blinked, my eyes suddenly watery from the greenery that consumed my every sense.

"What is this place?" I breathed.

"It is your home, my mortal," she said, rising from the pond, her ivory arms outstretched, and my heart shattered at her beauty. "A place for forgetting time and troubles."

The moss trembled, and the vines shivered and sang. I went with her into the wood, and knew her forever, and loved her forever, until I learned of her deceit and sought to leave her side.

I blinked, my eyes suddenly watery from the greenery that consumed my every sense.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
GroWing Up

My wings, I want them, please give them to me
Cried the fledgling fairy, Naeroji

Not yet, my babe, but someday soon
And her father hid them, behind the moon

And now, father, perhaps you’ll find
I’ve grown so, I’m wise and I’m kind

Still no, my child, with wings you might fall
And if something should happen, I couldn’t stand it at all

Father, it’s time, you must know it’s true
If you can’t give them to me, I’ll take them from you

I won’t make you steal, but I cannot give in
Snatch them from me, try and win.

Chili fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 23, 2023

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Signups are closed.
One more judge slot is still open.
Post early, post often.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Fuuuuck, I was trying to quote my submission and I accidentally edited it. FUUUUCK

Ouzo Maki
Jul 4, 2023
The Queen of Air and Shadow

When I was a lass I met a Queen on the bog, a lady I could not see. She danced in the light of the no-shine moon, swept up by the wind that moaned off the peat. I curtsied as my Ma had taught me, standing on midnight moss. Out of a zephyr the darkness was woven, crafted of stars royal hands stitched away. It whispered to me of wisp and of gloaming. Come to the court, where we dine on fog and flower. Come see the place where the night does not die.

Unseelie

I wake before an empty throne, in the moment when twilight fades. The poor sun is shamed, chased away into ruin.

“Make it bow!” rings the reedy chorus, their melody thick with sap and plucked with wormwood.

The courtiers watch me with faces sharp and grinning, and I find not a friend among them.

The unseen queen laughs cold like winter’s bite, and bends my spine to a supplicant’s gnarl. Blades of grass stretch up to cut my face.

I must caper for their evening’s amusement. My fine green coat has torn away, and my hair is tangled with brambles.

Primrose

Hag though some call me, I once held youth like you; it thrummed in my breast like a starling. My careless steps carried me among birch and rowan, farther than any would dare. I heeded neither old wives’ wisdom nor lateness of hour.

One midnight I met a Shaded Queen, dancing above moonlit moss. Woe betide a stupid lass who knows not the proper cant! Thorned fingers took me as a plaything, whisking me away through air and darkness.

Learn from my withered face, children. Mind your manners. The cost of your rudeness may be the bloom of your years.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Chili posted:

Fuuuuck, I was trying to quote my submission and I accidentally edited it. FUUUUCK

Can confirm that I archived this entry prior to the edit stamp. If any one cares to compare.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Tyrannosaurus!

When you posted heroic clown results, you said "crits tomorrowish" and yet, almost a week later, there are still no crits.

I will not let this injustice stand. I challenge you to a brawl, with an added wager: if you win, I must also crit the heroic clown stories. If I win, on top of the regular crits, you shall also write linecrits for the winning and HMing stories.

Will you die in glorious combat, or are you a coward?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Tyrannosaurus!

When you posted heroic clown results, you said "crits tomorrowish" and yet, almost a week later, there are still no crits.

I will not let this injustice stand. I challenge you to a brawl, with an added wager: if you win, I must also crit the heroic clown stories. If I win, on top of the regular crits, you shall also write linecrits for the winning and HMing stories.

Will you die in glorious combat, or are you a coward?

Proverbs 11:2.

Yeah, I'm happy to gift you some wisdom.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ok knuckle buckers.

I have been sad for a while. And it's mainly because nothing worked out like I thought it would.

One of you will handle my problem head on and the other will distract me.

Claim what you want, and whoever doesn't get here first gets the other.

1. Write a story where nothing works out for your protag. Maybe they learn from that, maybe they don't. Maybe they cope, maybe they hurt people. I don't care, but nothing works out.

2. Write a story where everything works out for your protag. Maybe they earned it, maybe they luck their way in. Maybe it's a result of privilege, maybe not. I don't care, but it all works out.

You each have until like two Fridays from now to submit a story of up to 2000 words.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Chili posted:

Ok knuckle buckers.

I have been sad for a while. And it's mainly because nothing worked out like I thought it would.

One of you will handle my problem head on and the other will distract me.

Claim what you want, and whoever doesn't get here first gets the other.

1. Write a story where nothing works out for your protag. Maybe they learn from that, maybe they don't. Maybe they cope, maybe they hurt people. I don't care, but nothing works out.

2. Write a story where everything works out for your protag. Maybe they earned it, maybe they luck their way in. Maybe it's a result of privilege, maybe not. I don't care, but it all works out.

You each have until like two Fridays from now to submit a story of up to 2000 words.

I pick 2.

:toxx: for both the brawl and the conditions of the brawl. If I lose, crits will be up one week after results.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
:toxx:

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Retro Sprite
99 words

“Is this one for numbers too?”
The tiny, luminous being alighted on Robert's computer.
“I guess? It sends information back and forth with…”
“What do you need with more numbers that you have on your fingers and toes? Useless! I'm putting it all back!”
“No, wait!”
Robert tried to brush the sprite away, but it flitted around the room like a hummingbird, landing on his clock, his phone, his PlayStation, and even his wallet, then darted out through the cracked window.
Horrified, Robert watched as the plastic in his possessions devolved into a mass of squirming plankton and algae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Conjunction
100 words

The shaking stopped and the office plunged into power-cut darkness. Jane and Sara were the only early-birds there. No nervous laughter, just a synchronised grabbing of phones to call daycare, husbands.

No signal. Outside, a scream.

Sara was first out from under her desk. The light turned burnt-orange as the sun rose through clouds of dust. She blanched at the huge cracks in the floor-to-ceiling windows.

Long-fingered hands squeaked against the glass. Outside, high-pitched laughter.

Jane, ever practical, flipped open the civil defence bin. Water, glowsticks. A sledgehammer. Jane raised it and her eyebrows. Sara nodded, once.

They were coming.