Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Vacationing Russians should probably leave Crimea soon or the drive back is going to be really long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

now that's a drone drop

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Prior to Trump, I was lead to believe that this was pretty much the case; but apparently, treason only applies if we are at war with the Nation in question.

Calling it a “Cold War” may have been to imply that if you supported Russia prior to the 90s, you were “treasonous”.

"Treason" is a term given extremely rigid definitions in the US Constitution, because governments of that era had a tendency to use it very liberally. Which is why there hasn't been successful treason charges in the US since Herbert John Burgman was convicted of collaboration with the Nazis in 1949.

None of the Cold War-era espionage convictions relied on "treason", because "working with a hostile government" is a completely different thing, legally speaking.

quote:

McCarthyism had a point; it just went too far.

McCarthyism missed pretty much all of the actual Soviet spies despite all the lives it ruined. There was no point.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

McCarthyism had a point; it just went too far.

you do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Joseph McCarthy

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mccarthyism was bad, hence everything the US does is bad, hence the Communists were good, hence Putin good. I am very smart

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

McCarthyism missed pretty much all of the actual Soviet spies despite all the lives it ruined. There was no point.

So you're saying he didn't go far enough to get everyone...

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gnoman posted:

It's hard to overstate just how completely true this was. Other than Fuchs and the Rosenberg ring (who got caught not by a congressional investigation, but by intel from the Venona project), nearly everyone who got sent to prison or harassed during mccarthyism was not in fact working for the Soviets, while the people who actually were working for the Soviets got help from their handlers and managed to skate past.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Lol I love how we have gotten to this point.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1705337250798592023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

HKR posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Joseph McCarthy

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Kinda funny to think that in the past, if someone fired a cruise missile you had to wait for the next satellite pass, or get someone on the ground to confirm it was a hit. Now you just wait for someone to upload pictures to social media.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 23, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This will actually make Tucker less popular with some Republicans but way more popular with the loudest ones, win/win for hatred and fascism for sure

Edit: Wait it is not real??? Well, not real YET anyway

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 22, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1705324205170971010

:allears:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

""War is just another form of a waif in their underwear"

- Joesph McCarthy

- Clauswitz"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

OAquinas posted:

I mean, wouldn't you want to use this baby if you had it?

God drat mobile dolls!!!!!:argh:

naem
May 29, 2011

is it weird I love Zelinsky’s green t-shirt and jacket combo?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Gnoman posted:

Tuna-Fish posted:

It's hard to overstate just how completely true this was. Other than Fuchs and the Rosenberg ring (who got caught not by a congressional investigation, but by intel from the Venona project), nearly everyone who got sent to prison or harassed during mccarthyism was not in fact working for the Soviets, while the people who actually were working for the Soviets got help from their handlers and managed to skate past.

Yikes, I stand corrected- my takeaway from a twice-failed public school Social Studies program from lower NYS was that McCarthyism was getting rid of a legitimate (to my propaganda-poisoned mind at the time) Russian threat to "my way of life".

Apologies to the thread- gently caress McCarthy, he sounds too much like that McCarthy guy in the US House.

hey, wait a minnit...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

No war is murdering people to get what you want and politics is talking to people to get what you want. That's just a pithy bit of Prussian horseshit that somehow became a truism. It's like saying that theft is shopping by other means because you end up with something you didn't have before.

No war is murdering foreign people to get what you want. Murdering your own people is explicitly allowed and encouraged and this is the guiding principle of multipolar politics.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

As a staunch REAL leftist, if there's one person I want on my team to see the downfall of Nazi Ukraine, it's Tucker Carlson.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The irony of right wing Tucker getting actually popular among certain left wing areas.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

naem posted:

No.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I already dressed that way, head to toe modern milsurp, so I feel like he made me fashionable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

I love it

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s so good right?? I want to buy some lmao

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tai posted:

The irony of right wing Tucker getting actually popular among certain left wing areas.

People call it a political "spectrum", when it's really like one of the exits in Pac-Man where if you go down the hole you come out on the other side of the screen.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

People call it a political "spectrum", when it's really like one of the exits in Pac-Man where if you go down the hole you come out on the other side of the screen.

Ms. Pac-Man rules

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Zero VGS posted:

how can it be a spectrum when zelensky only wears green?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"periodic boundary condition"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Sounds more like an Atari than a Spectrum.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I get that your dorms in this state school are moldy and crumbling, and that we’re spending all of our money to invade Ukraine because I got mad at a map during COVID, but hey here’s a lecture about some guy from the 1700’s who had to walk 1000km to get to school. Be happy like him. Don’t forget I’m a piece of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/gerashchenko_en/status/1705157523815227754?s=46

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Must be said, the Ron Paul GIF is particularly apropos here

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

naem posted:

it’s so good right?? I want to buy some lmao

I'm pretty sure Macron already tried to snag his look (and was called out immediately) so go nuts.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

McGavin posted:

Sounds more like an Atari than a Spectrum.

This is the internet. There are 2 political groups: people who agree with absolutely everything I believe, and fascists.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Weird that Russia can afford Tucker.

Who is paying for this? I would bet it's someone else is the actual traitor.

Might be a movie in a few years of the person who tracks them down.

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
https://twitter.com/ostapyarysh/status/1705344634128380206?s=46&t=mA1-E-MURorvib1r-gQ4rw

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1705347391111524654?s=46&t=mA1-E-MURorvib1r-gQ4rw

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
You know that's probably a good indicator that they had eyes on the ground watching who was coming and going and then decided it was a good time to strike when they realised a bunch of the more important people were there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

large hands posted:

Nice view of this mornings interception of storm shadows by the black sea HQ:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1705274021523214437?t=OAUX06KagTXIXYKn9MMjCQ&s=19

that's a hell of an advertisement for Russian tourism in Crimea

zone
Dec 6, 2016

L bozo lmfao

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

You know that's probably a good indicator that they had eyes on the ground watching who was coming and going and then decided it was a good time to strike when they realised a bunch of the more important people were there.

This is what happens when you force people to return to the office instead of working from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2023/09/22/tucker-carlson-reportedly-denies-russian-tv-speculation-as-bullst/?sh=36134ed7232d

He denies it, but for what it’s worth, it’s absolutely something he would do.