Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

BrigadierSensible posted:

I have been on the opposite side of this. As in I am an ESL teacher, and I know some teachers who will make a Chinese kid called "Li Cheng" go by "William" in class, because it's easier for the teacher to pronounce.

(They can sometimes tart it up with less racist explanations of "it helps acclimatize the kids into learning Western culture" and "It helps with the kids pronunciation of the different sounds in English as opposed to their native language" ... but that's bullshit and they are lazy racists.)

Personally I don't do it, because as the guest in the country, it is on me to learn how to pronounce relatively simple Mandarin names. And also, as a teacher, it endears me more to my kids if I am calling them by their actual name instead of some bullshit made uo "Steven" or "Tanya" that they have no connection to.

Counterpoint: my mom taught ESL for many years and had a student get hauled in by the cops because they thought he was swearing at them. His name was Phuc Yu, and he called my mom for help. I believe he later changed his first name to Phil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for expecting an apology from my SIL after she failed to warn me about my wife's affair?

quote:

I (M30) am close with my brother (M28) and his wife (F28). My wife (F30) and my SIL have been very good friends since they first met. They regularly meet up without me and my brother. I love the fact they are friends. We also meet up all together and we all get on well.

I suspected my wife was cheating on me. Long story short, this was confirmed with loads of evidence. I confronted my wife and she confessed. We are going through therapy.

Some of the evidence I found was on my wife's phone. While looking for evidence, I found messages between my wife and SIL. The messages show my SIL knew about the affair for months. In the messages she empathised with my wife. She said she would understand if my wife left me. She didn't exactly tell my wife off for cheating. My SIL didn't tell me. I didn't get any "anonymous tips" or hints or anything.

She didn't help my wife cover her tracks and she never lied to me to help my wife, but she could have told me and she chose not to. I don't think my brother knew.

My wife says its her own fault for cheating and my SIL was just being a good friend to her. My SIL says she has done nothing wrong. My brother backs up my SIL.

But I feel angry towards my SIL. It means 2 people who I'm close to have been deceitful to me. She helped to prolong my hurt.

So AITA for being mad at my SIL? Should I expect an apology from her?

Edit: 3 year old daughter. Married 8 years.

My wife said she got bored and fell out of love with me. But she said she realised her mistake after she cheated and now she wants to be back together. She said someone else would be lucky to have me.

Edit 2: I'm angry with my wife. So I'm not redirecting anger from my wife to my SIL. I'm asking whether I am justified in being angry at my SIL as well as being angry at my wife.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 23, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My father-in-law was born in Sweden to Polish refugees before they came to the US, and "Andrzej" (pronounced "Ahn-zhey") became "Andy" at Catholic school because nuns gonna nun. I asked him once if he wished he'd been able to go by his birth name more instead of the English version but he said he didn't really care, but that it was kind of nice to have a sort of a "family name" that only his mom and dad called him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skutter posted:

I wanted a new comforter for our bed, and suggested to my husband that we should get something like dinosaurs or spaceships whatever. We ended up getting this space-themed duvet cover set and it's awesome.

I do not need a new duvet.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The only thing the mom did wrong was merely telling the racist mom to gently caress off, and not taking the opportunity to tell her to eat poo poo and gently caress off. Racists do not deserve decorum.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Once more, she didn't do anything wrong, but it may have been a bad idea.

Racists are idiot morons.

Idiot morons react way out of proportion to minor antagonism.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

A great number of them are also cowards who don't retaliate when faced with actual pushback, though. Bigots: A land of contrasts, all of whom should be stomped in the face.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh hey, I wonder what's happening on reddit on this fine Friday evenin-

AITA for not wanting my roommate to pee in our shared cups

quote:

I (22) brought a set of drinking tumblers to my shared apartment with my long time friend (22). We pretty much share everything in the kitchen bc I have lived alone before and have all the necessities, but we each have our own cups outside of the set.

They recently disclosed to me that they use cups from the set I brought for their pregnancy and ovulation tests they take regularly. When I bring up how that is overall gross they get confused and disagree because

"they go through the dishwasher" and "urine is sterile, the plates in the dishwasher are more gross then the pee cup".

Is this a big deal? Most threads I've read say that usually people have one designated glass jar/cup they pee in for tests, but my roommate has been using various plastic cups and coffee mugs we both share.

this is the 1st time I'm hearing about it and I just bought new cups for just I to use because I have been unknowingly been drinking out of cups that have been peed in.

I do have a bit of a problem with germs and cross-contamination but I don't think this is one of the issues I can just chalk up to me being a germaphobe.

I don't think I am being too harsh but should I back down?

:ohno:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A great number of them are also cowards who don't retaliate when faced with actual pushback, though. Bigots: A land of contrasts, all of whom should be stomped in the face.

But I hasten to add, that might not be a good idea. Many bigots do not like to be stomped in the face.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dear Prudence killin' it

Help! My Long-Distance Lover Says I Can’t Visit Unless I Fix My Body Odor.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I have been involved in a long-distance situationship (intimate friends) for three years. We met once then became friends online, and that is where it blossomed. I have visited her once and it was a very intimate and fun experience for both of us, although she did mention once or twice while I was there that she noticed my body odor. I took care of it ASAP every time, it didn’t seem like a big deal. Anyway, we have been planning on another visit, but she keeps bringing up the BO problem and has even said “if it is as bad as last time, you have to get a hotel and can’t stay with me.” Which is confusing because we were very intimate last time and she didn’t seem to mind; she was enjoying herself quite a bit and said so for weeks afterwards. Should I just take her advice and be super diligent about BO or is this emotional manipulation of some sort? My close friends tell me they never notice my body odor, and I bathe once to twice daily and use deodorant every day as well as brush multiple times a day. Also, and here’s the dinger, she has untreated BPD.

—Questionably Stinky Lover

Prudence posted:

Dear Stinky Lover,

Well, I only see two real options here. Either she is either being intentionally unkind, or she truly thinks you stink. We don’t need her mental health history to know that neither option is great and neither sets you up to have a fun and fulfilling time being around each other in person again. This is one of those things that may have to remain a mystery as you continue your long-distance situationship without in person visits—which is a situation, I’m guessing, you may not want to extend for too much longer.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Total Meatlove posted:

Nah the less you give racists social niceties the more they stop being racist scum, tell them to gently caress off forever.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

My boyfriend and I are at an impasse. I own my own place and he was trying to get back on his feet after the divorce. He has two small kids. My place is small and not child-friendly. He pays no rent and half of the other bills but thinks it is completely OK for me to give up my home office for a bedroom for his kids. And pay for all the new furniture. And help with other expenses like private tutoring and sports activities.

The thing is I can only introduce myself as dad’s “friend” and we need to sleep separately when/if the kids come over. We aren’t even talking about marriage. Honestly, I think that he should give up overnight visits and stick to seeing his kids in public places. Even just picking them up and dropping them off every day seems more doable than this. However, he is a great and devoted dad. When his eyes are on me, I feel like the most special woman in the world. He has had a hard time of it. Am I wearing rose-colored glasses here?
Comment:

quote:

Some posters are calling the LW a homewrecker. Sometimes the home you wreck is your own!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Why is OP with this guy?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean she says when he looks at her, she feels special.

She needs to get a cat and always have treats in her back pocket, or a laser light, because it will be cheaper.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Then again, English speaking cultures do it, too*

* e.g. with names from Antiquity, like, what's so hard about Marcus Antonius that he has to be 'Mark Anthony' instead?

Mark Anthony is Puerto Rican though

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not picking up my daughter from a sleepover?

quote:

My 13 year old daughter Vivian has always been a horrible sleeper. From a very young age she has never wanted to sleep in her own bed, she would come into my husband and I’s room and make some excuse as to why she wanted to sleep with us. Perhaps it was our fault we formed this habit by giving in to her, but anyways. For this reason we avoided letting her have sleepovers at other people’s houses for a long time. However this girl in her class was having a birthday party which involved a sleepover.

I knew it wasn’t a good idea, but Vivian insisted on going. I figured she’s a teenager now, she’s capable of taking care of herself. Fine. I told her that she could go, but that she better not pull any of the BS she normally does. She made her choice and would have to stay the whole night with no complaints. So the sleepover comes, we go to bed without hearing anything. I figured it’s going great and was relieved. At 2 AM I woke up to my phone ringing. I look at it and it’s Vivian. She said she ate too much at the sleepover and was feeling sick and wanted me to come pick her up. She said it wasn’t her usual nonsense, that she was actually sick but I didn’t believe her.

It’s like the boy who cried wolf. I told her to go back to sleep and just tough it out for a few more hours, that I would pick her up in the morning. So what does she do? Goes into the friend’s parents room and wakes them up. Tells them that she’s sick and her mom is refusing to pick her up, so could they drop her home. Completely embarrassed me as a parent🤦🏼‍♀️. Now she’s mad at me for not picking her up and her friend’s parents think I’m some weirdo who doesn’t care about her daughter since they don’t know what Vivian does. AITA?

added spacing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugh, it's been over a decade, and I'm still doing things for this kid! When is she gonna leave me alone?!!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pirate Radar posted:

Mark Anthony is Puerto Rican though

🎶Suavementeeeeee🎶

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for giving my late husband's estate to a stranger instead of our kids?

quote:

I (F55) had been married to my husband (M60) for 20 years before he died. It was cancer.

He had two kids from a past marriage who were in their early teens when he married me. I had a 7 year old from an earlier relationship as well. We didn't have anymore kids.

I tried to treat my step children as my own but they never accepted me. They were very rude and insulted me whenever they could. Since I did not work they called me a gold digger who married their dad only for his money.

The truth was my grandparents were quite wealthy and left me a lot of money when they died. I lived well below my means and chose to stay home and raise my daughter, since I could afford that. I did not need his money at all. But I didn't bother sharing this with his kids and told him not to either. I did not want them to like me just because they might gain monetarily from me.

My husband on the other hand hated how they behaved with me. Their blatant disrespect made him not pay for their College tuition. Their mom couldn't pay for it and they had to take loans for it. They didn't even talk to him.

Even when he got cancer, they refused to come see him. For three years we struggled with the treatment. My daughter came to visit from time to time, when she could.

During this time only person who really helped both of us was someone we were not related to at all. This girl in her late 20s waitressed at a cafe we frequented. She was a single mom, taking classes at community college at night, working during day and raising her two kids. She took a liking to us and when she learned my husband was sick, spend whatever time she could visiting him. She has stayed nights at the hospital when I needed a break and basically been the daughter we wished for.

When he died, she helped me arrange the funeral. His kids came on the day and all they wanted to know was about their inheritance. I felt sick.

When I learned my husband has left his estate to me, (whatever is left after settling his bills, and it was around $25000), I decided to give it to the girl who helped us both so much. She tried to refuse but I insisted she take it. She needed it and in my opinion deserved it more than the ungrateful children.

My daughter understands why I did not give it to his children but is upset I did not give anything to her either. I told her she already had money and a job. Not to mention she will get my inheritance. This was in no way her money.

But his ex wife and kids are causing havoc over this and really upset with me. They are calling me AH for giving away money they deserve.

AITA?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everyone expects me to take care of my sick kid but what about if I'm sick of the kid??

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, it's been over a decade, and I'm still doing things for this kid! When is she gonna leave me alone?!!

“But I told her not to sleep on her back so she doesn’t choke on her own vomit until I pick her up after I get a good night’s rest; I obviously care for her!”

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Counterpoint: my mom taught ESL for many years and had a student get hauled in by the cops because they thought he was swearing at them. His name was Phuc Yu, and he called my mom for help. I believe he later changed his first name to Phil.

But Phuc is pronounced Foo :confused:

(Source: Used to date a fine Vietnamese dude by that name)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

But Phuc is pronounced Foo :confused:

(Source: Used to date a fine Vietnamese dude by that name)

So did he Phuc Yu?

I swear this one was posted here but can't find it and there's an update!

AITA for telling my dad that he's the reason my girlfriend's dad doesn't like me

quote:

My (19M) girlfriend (19F) have known each other since we were toddlers. Her dad (55M) came to this country in the 90s to work and made many good friends, which my dad (55M) was one of them. In the latter half of the decade, he returned to China to marry my girlfriend's mom and brought her back to my country. It's a very inspiring story.

We grew up together and it was a running joke between our dads that we would get married one day. Once we started going to middle school and high school together, we went to separate elementary schools, we got a lot closer. We started dating when we were 14. Her dad became very cold with me, which was expected considering I was dating his daughter, but my girlfriend said he would warm up to me in about two to three years. He did, until recently.

After we graduated high school, my girlfriend moved in with my family since we're closer to the university. That's when her dad started to become cold to me again. I thought maybe it was because I took her daughter away, but my girlfriend's mom told me that my dad has been saying really sexual stuff about me to her dad.

I confronted my dad about this and he confirmed it. He's said stuff like how I'm inside her or how we don't like wearing clothes when we're in the bedroom. I told him to maybe tone it down a bit, but he told me to chill out and that they're just jokes. I told him that if my girlfriend is the one I'll marry in the future, I want her dad to like me and that no dad wants to hear about their daughter's sex life. He said I'm overreacting and that I'm being an a-hole. AITA?

EDIT: When I say her dad got cold after she moved in with me, I don't mean right away. We had sweet moment when they took me on a Christmas family vacation and I had a one on one with him. It was sometime after that that he started getting cold to me.

EDIT: When I told him to tone it down, I meant no sex talk, not less sex talk, especially WITH HER DAD. Like they used to joke about how we'd get married one day and we'd be one big happy family. Or when we did start dating, he'd be like "Haha my son kisses your daughter all the time." Tone down to that.

Gee dad my gf's dad doesn't like you hearing about how I rail her grow up!

UPDATE:

quote:

It's been a week and I have good news and bad news.

Good news is my gf has a family of angels. I called my gf’s brothers, who I’m very close to, let’s called them Brother Allen and Brother Ben, and asked if we could stay with them until we find a more permanent place to stay. They insisted that we stayed free of charge as long as we contributed to the grocery bill and kept the place clean. Ben is a professional chef, while Allen is in university for business, and is likely to have their dad’s family business past down to him. They had a spare room for us to sleep in, and Ben even gave us his bed to sleep in, while he sleeps on an air mattress, because “I don’t get any b*tches.”

Anyways, Allen and Ben invited their parents over, because their parents, especially their dad, can’t resist a free meal from their professional chef son. Ben made a delicious dinner. When we were finished, Allen and my gf took the dishes into the kitchen to help Ben clean up, and my gf said before she left, “Daddy, he has something important to talk to you about.”

I was left alone at the table with her parents and I was tomato red. I mustarded up an apology and explained that I never told my dad any of that stuff and I don’t know how my dad knows about it, and that I would never share to anyone, because that stays between my gf and I. I also emphasized that his daughter is the love of my life and I love her more than anyone and anything in the world, and that I have immense respect for him. He said nothing and just stared at me for a good minute, before shouting at Allen to bring him some beers. He opened two beer for himself and I, his wife doesn’t drink, and clinked bottles with me. He explained that he forgives me and that he believes me. He added that he thinks my dad is a weirdo, and that they used to go out for drinks or fishing all the time, but now he’s stopped, to avoid hearing about his daughter’s personal life. He put his hand on my shoulder and told me that he trusts that his daughter chose the right man, which made me want to cry.

Bad news is my parents are getting a divorce. When I left, I sat my parents down and explained to them why I was leaving. My mom hugged me and cried, while my dad said and did nothing. My gf and I left right away. Turns out my dad didn’t take it well and my parents starting fighting a lot. Now, my mom is divorcing my dad. I especially feel bad for my mom, because this was her second marriage, and the longer one, and I feel like it might discourage my mom from finding love again.

TL;DR, I fixed my relationship with my gf’s dad, but I unintentionally ruined my parents’ marriage.

Ohhhh! When you were talking about me railing her it was because you were fantasizing railing her! Got it!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I think it was posted before, but the update is new so reposting it for the refresher should be okay.

Good on them, and idiot dad has no one but himself to blame.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think it was posted before, but the update is new so reposting it for the refresher should be okay.

Good on them, and idiot dad has no one but himself to blame.

Yah I'm usually good about finding the original to quote and link back, but this time both google and the SA search failed me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know, right? Coincidentally, another bizarre one that felt off in similar (but weirder) way:

AITA for telling a coworker she looks like Linda Blair?

Judged to have no assholes present. But personally, I'd be completely weirded out by OP's obsession with "not the possessed version, the beautiful young child actress version, totally normal!!!" :yikes:

Yeah someone unfamiliar with her googles her they are going to get the images of her as a 14 year old (playing a pre-teen) or her current photos as a 64 year old woman. Either way weird for some weirdo to be telling you that you look just like her.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Baronjutter posted:

I've never in my life heard about this forced renaming of children thing. Is this a US thing or something? It seems... extremely weird?

I grew up in a small town in Canada but we had numerous kids in our grade with repeat names, 2 of the most popular names at the time. Our grade 3 teacher decided to change some kids names (2 Lisa's so one became Liza, for example). She did it because she felt it made her life easier. The names stuck. This teacher literally changed these kids names. Even now a few of them still go by their changed name, and we're in our 40s.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to cater a vegan option at my own surprise party?

quote:

So, a bit of background: I (28F) have been a proud carnivore my whole life. Everyone close to me knows it. Well, last week was my birthday and my friends decided to throw me a surprise party. Super sweet, right?

Here's where it gets sticky. I found out about the surprise a few days in advance (my GF (27F) accidentally let it slip). I snooped for more info and discovered that they decided to make it a fully vegan BBQ to accommodate one new friend (23M) who is vegan. I was a little annoyed because I felt like my birthday was being co-opted for his dietary choices.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and told my GF I insist on a meaty BBQ feast for the party. On the day, everyone was surprised (especially me, pretending not to know) but the vegan friend called out the spread and was visibly upset. I told him it was my party and I wanted to eat what I love. A huge argument ensued.

Now, half of my friends think I was an rear end in a top hat for not respecting the vegan choice for one day and the other half are on my side saying it's my day and I should have what I want. AITA?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I grew up in a small town in Canada but we had numerous kids in our grade with repeat names, 2 of the most popular names at the time. Our grade 3 teacher decided to change some kids names (2 Lisa's so one became Liza, for example). She did it because she felt it made her life easier. The names stuck. This teacher literally changed these kids names. Even now a few of them still go by their changed name, and we're in our 40s.

A friend of mine was one of 3 "Jennifer"s in her elementary school class. So to make it easier, the teacher called one of them Jennifer, one of them Jenny, and my friend became Jen. A name she uses to this day as a grown arse woman with grey hair.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to cater a vegan option at my own surprise party?

Let's pretend this isn't bait. OP and her girlfriend could have probably found some sort of middle ground between 100% vegan and 0% vegan.

Maybe keep one of the vegan options as an option and the rest of it can be real barbecue.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE:

Ohhhh! When you were talking about me railing her it was because you were fantasizing railing her! Got it!

quote:

I was left alone at the table with her parents and I was tomato red. I mustarded up an apology....

:confused:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

'Mustered'. Autocorrect or didn't know that particular word, I'm guessing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Reposts are fine if there’s an update. I prefer the entire thing be posted from start to finish in that case so nobody has to go looking for the original. So thank you Hughlander.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BrigadierSensible posted:

A friend of mine was one of 3 "Jennifer"s in her elementary school class. So to make it easier, the teacher called one of them Jennifer, one of them Jenny, and my friend became Jen. A name she uses to this day as a grown arse woman with grey hair.

There were 4 in my grade at first, so the teacher chose to call everyone "Jennifer [last intial]. There were two with S, so one of course became Jenny, but she stopped using it after school and joined the Jen club. Then later on as the town grew, two more Jennifer's showed up, and they also ended up always being referred to with their last initial. It kind of had the same vibe as a lot of celebrity names where if you only refer to them by their first name, it feels really weird.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jennifour

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

My schools all did the Name.Initial thing, too. I'm quite frankly surprised I never had to myself- my name is a common as dirt biblical four-letter name and I live in Texas, but nope, always the only one in the class.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

That's alright Paul

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

There's also Adam, Abel, John, Luke, Noah :eng101: I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Frankie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

Jen Z