Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Great preview as always, Friend Carl. I hate that I must now do this

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren

Bellator 299: Eblen vs Edwards - Saturday 11 AM

Bellator returns to Dublin with a soul-destroying 21 bouts. Should you care about anyone on the prelims? Probably not! There’s an undefeated Magomed who might turn into something should he get the patented Scott Coker promotional soft touch. Luca Poclit vs Roman Faraldo is an interesting matchup between once-beaten prospects, and My Dude Jay Jay Wilson is in action.

On the flip side, Charlie Ward is here. And so is Peter Queally, because IRELAND. Though I can’t be entirely upset since Kenny “Black Diamond” Mokhonoana doesn’t show up anywhere other than these Dublin cards, and he’s pretty cool.

Is the main card any better? As I stare at Sinead Kavanagh vs Sara Collins, who is 4-0 with two wins against people making their pro MMA debuts, I can assuredly tell you “Absolutely not”.

Sure, there are other things on the main card that are possibly interesting. Things like Mads Burnell taking on Daniel Weichel in a “Let us commiserate over our decision losses to Pedro Carvalho by hitting each other for fifteen minutes” match. There’s also Pedro Carvalho ostensibly getting fed to the hungry maw that can never be satiated that is “trying to make Aaron Pico into A Thing”.

The main event sees Johnny Eblen defending the Middleweight title against Fabian Edwards. How did Edwards get this title shot? He is Leon’s brother. If you want to claim it is because he is 12-2 and on a three-fight win streak, you can go ahead and delude yourself into that. But in what world are wins over Lyoto Machida and Charlie Ward in 2022 and 2023 Gegard Mousasi enough to launch someone into championship contention? This man is two years removed from dropping back-to-back fights to whatever Costello van Steenis is and Mr. Paige VanZant himself, Austin Vanderford.

RIZIN 44 - Saturday 10 PM

RIZIN is back with some classic JMMA action. Sho Patrick Usami is making his kickboxing debut in the only bout that isn’t being contested under MMA rules. Super weirdo Spike Carlyle is back in action, hoping to end a two fight skid by welcoming Yoshinori Horie to the Lightweight division. Former Featherweight champ Kleber Koike Erbst is taking on 20-year veteran Masanori Kanehara, and in the main event, another former Featherweight champ Junatarou Ushiku takes on the perfectly balanced 7-7 Kyohei Hagiwara.

However, while most of those fights should be pretty good, they all pale in comparison to the real marquee matchup. Disgraced former sumo Tsuyoshi Sudario is having a Beef Clash with Todd by God Duffee. Fun fact: Todd Duffee’s last win was in 2014!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1704688103661695210?s=20

Jiri vs Alex is for the vacant title

And big gently caress Colby and Dana for giving him a title shot still. I know it's repeated over and over but gently caress them

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Of course, Marina promptly got TKOed by Amanda Lemos--with one of those oddly quicker-than-usual standing TKO stops that seem to happen a lot more often when women are fighting for some strange reason we definitely shouldn't do any social introspection about--and her momentum ended on the spot.

Maximize girl power by sending Kim Winslow in there.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
My memory is failing me - can someone remind me of a Japanese fighter who had great front body kicks? He digged his toes right in the gut and I think knocked some people out with them. For some reason I thought it was the Gooch but I guess I was wrong?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren

This is awesome and thank you for helping me understand Bellator for years.

Digital Jedi posted:

Jiri vs Alex is for the vacant title

And big gently caress Colby and Dana for giving him a title shot still. I know it's repeated over and over but gently caress them

This sucks, but it's hilarious that Pereira could be a double champ within 7 UFC fights. Now that Women's 145 no longer exists I'm legitimately not sure that record would ever be broken.

kimbo305 posted:

Maximize girl power by sending Kim Winslow in there.

Jan Finney should've loving sued.

Majkol posted:

My memory is failing me - can someone remind me of a Japanese fighter who had great front body kicks? He digged his toes right in the gut and I think knocked some people out with them. For some reason I thought it was the Gooch but I guess I was wrong?

Katsunori Kikuno.

https://twitter.com/DanTomMMA/status/1431783599800561669

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
gently caress! Of course. I hate getting older.
Thank you.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Remembering these things is what I'm here for. Say, on the topic of gut-destroying kicks, how's ONE's rejection of MMA in favor of becoming the home of Muay Thai's hottest stars and biggest fights going?

https://twitter.com/muaythaichai/status/1704775561699365304

oh

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Colby is getting another title shot????

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dana also announced that Grasso-Schevchenko 3 is next, even though Valentina has to get surgery for her fractured thumb and I assume won't even be able to hit pads for a few months, awesome. I reeeaaally wish Blanchfield or Fiorot could take a crack at the belt instead, but I guess we need to wait a year or so for yet another title rematch.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

CarlCX posted:

Remembering these things is what I'm here for. Say, on the topic of gut-destroying kicks, how's ONE's rejection of MMA in favor of becoming the home of Muay Thai's hottest stars and biggest fights going?

oh

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

chaleski posted:

Dana also announced that Grasso-Schevchenko 3 is next, even though Valentina has to get surgery for her fractured thumb and I assume won't even be able to hit pads for a few months, awesome. I reeeaaally wish Blanchfield or Fiorot could take a crack at the belt instead, but I guess we need to wait a year or so for yet another title rematch.

Grasso gets injured in training a month before the fight and we get Valentina vs Blanchfield for interim champ 2025.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Look, I realize and accept I am a rabid fan of Jun Yong Park, but when is a dude who is 7-2 in UFC, on a 4 fight win streak with 3 RNC finishes in a row gonna get some ranked opponents

Where all my Iron Turtle perverts (Iron Turtverts) at

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Look, I realize and accept I am a rabid fan of Jun Yong Park, but when is a dude who is 7-2 in UFC, on a 4 fight win streak with 3 RNC finishes in a row gonna get some ranked opponents

I mean, has he even tried saying anything racist yet

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Never, because Iron Turtle is for the children

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

this is very funny, and also encapsulates my exasperation with this sport.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

CarlCX posted:

We are one question about Japan away from iron turtle, MMA champion

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

cagliostr0 posted:

To be fair there are a lot of negative things a Korean man could say about Japan without being racist but then he would burn all of his chances of ever being the champ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I kinda want to see Iron Turtle vs Big Chase Hooper, and then the winner of that vs someone like Roman Dolidze

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cagliostr0 posted:

*Dokdo Island song plays*
Uh oh, that Park Sun Jong’s music!

Man I miss Duncan.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's ONE Friday Morning fights !!! 20minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHg_5N8z0i4

coathat
May 21, 2007

You need to quit you job and watch this.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Just a bit of a bump there

Also, main event time!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

its a shame this isnt for the title anymore because daaaaamn

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Tough to see Jordain publicly posting about Tate stuff. Always a nice reminder that MMA fighters like all pro athletes are mostly dumb as poo poo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Tough to see Jordain publicly posting about Tate stuff. Always a nice reminder that MMA fighters like all pro athletes are mostly dumb as poo poo

They really are
https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1705291936314085414?t=_eGdqSQ9irPfCmtqGwElZQ&s=19

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Did THIS get posted about Bryce?

quote:

UFC featherweight standout Bryce Mitchell is a flat earther who spends his time farming when he’s not training or fighting. While he is now building a house, “Thug Nasty” has so far lived in his 30-foot trailer on his 16-acre farm in Arkansas, which he claims will “feed the lord’s army” when the time comes.

During a recent interview with UFC commentator Brendan Fitzgerald, Mitchell revealed that there has been a significant shift in his spirituality over the course of the past year. The 28-year-old’s belief in God was sealed courtesy of a particular incident which took place around the time of his UFC 272 victory over Edson Barboza.

Mitchell claims to have had an encounter with a possessed person who was ransacking his home as he watched helplessly. It was then that “Thug Nasty” fell back to his religious upbringing and successfully cast out the “demon” by taking the name of Jesus Christ.

“Well, I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ as I was casting out a demon,” said Mitchell, who revealed that he now regrets making fun of religious people in the past. “Exorcisms are real… Well, I was in an argument with a person possessed by demons… I could not get this possessed person out of my home.

“I’d invited this person into my home and they were destroying it and they were possessed and I was witnessing a full-blown possession, something that I never believed in. And I instantly reverted back to my roots. I was raised by my mother who always taught me the word of Jesus…And I said, ‘In the name of Jesus Christ I command all evil to leave,’ and just like that (snap of a finger), the possessed person was gone. They walked right out of the door.”

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Head trauma is loving scary.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Now I am wondering if that "demon" was his ex.

quote:

“So, I’m outta town for my fight and my coward ex-girlfriend came by my house and vandalized my house yesterday. She destroyed all of my fruit trees. Now, my ex-girlfriend runs a tattoo shop on Booth Street, and for the love of god, if you’re not evil and if you’re not a coward, don’t give her your business. The tattoo shop on Booth Street. The woman that runs that came by my place and destroyed all my fruit trees.

“I’ve been working on those trees for years and she came by last night and killed ‘em all. I’m making this post because this s—t is evil and I’m begging the community of Searcy to help me. Guys, I’m out of town and my animals and my wife is at home by herself. Please, I need my neighbors to help. This evil woman is going to come by. She’s threatened to kill my dogs. She’s threatened to kill me. She’s threatened to kill all my animals and I’m telling you, last night she came over and killed my trees.

“Now that my trees are gone, she’s gonna try to kill me. She’s gonna try to kill the dogs or she’s gonna try to kill Erin. For the love of god, can the people in Searcy please help me? And she runs a tattoo shop on Booth Street and that’s really all the information you need to know, but I’m telling you. This woman is evil and Searcy, I don’t even know how, but I need your help. I need your help, Searcy. Please. While I’m gone, this woman is going to try to burn down my s—t and I don’t know what else I can do about it. But my neighbors, please help me. Please.”

Somehow I don't trust his assessment of the situation with his ex. Especially with him specifying where she works and that he later deleted the original post.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tag yourself I’m Anthony taking a big ol swig from his big gulp

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ccubed posted:

Now I am wondering if that "demon" was his ex.

Somehow I don't trust his assessment of the situation with his ex. Especially with him specifying where she works and that he later deleted the original post.

It’s that or he invited someone into his home, left the room long enough to forget about them, and upon seeing a person looking in the sofa cushions for their dropped phone he tried to do an exorcism.

Which yeah I’d leave too.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Srsly Searcy

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This is not an mma / athlete thing.

This is a "decades of brain-poisoning anti-progressive conspiracy-based propaganda" thing. You have people in all sorts of positions saying essentially the same thing.

Bryce seems like an otherwise decent dude (notwithstanding any drama with the ex) and I feel awful for him and everyone else who's been sucked into this disinformation vortex.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MMA is by no means responsible for or unique to the disinformation vortex, but I do think it shares a uniquely strong bond to it. The might-makes-right impact of martial arts has been a tool of authoritarianism for a reason.

Also on the topic of people who suck doing things that suck:
https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1705384785500373243

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

MMA is by no means responsible for or unique to the disinformation vortex, but I do think it shares a uniquely strong bond to it. The might-makes-right impact of martial arts has been a tool of authoritarianism for a reason.

Also on the topic of people who suck doing things that suck:
https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1705384785500373243

i could not believe it when i saw this come through the wire

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

im pretty fuggin steamed at the tony/paddy match making

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Congrats on your future title shot Mr. Pimblett

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
why does that fight feel so wrong

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kinda think its fine. It's probably a good test for paddy.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Just ignore this I thought paddy was a welterweight

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Just catching up on the ONE card and loving it. Has Dana ever commented on the possibility of adding 1-2 non-MMA combat sports to UFC cards? I think as long as they didn't add a ton of weight classes, I'd definitely enjoy a Muay Thai and/or Boxing fight. It would break up the cards nicely, and gives them more champs to promote.

delightful fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2023