Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smarxist posted:

me, logging on to post:

One post, one page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

okay, you have one balloon with paint. where are you throwing it:

I roundhouse kick the vehicle with my hydraulic leg, launching into the sky. Then as it falls I jump up and slice it in two with my cyber nano plasma katana, landing in a hero Goku pose.

(Rolls D20)

I got uh... 14 in total. Did it work?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

smarxist posted:

me, logging on to post:

lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price posted:

meme status aside identifying wood is an excellent resource for the rare cases where you do need to, in fact, identify some wood

it's never poplar

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

it's never poplar

maybe you're not poplar :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

eSports Chaebol posted:

I heard from an iRobot guy that they originally made a custom controller for their EOD bots that met all sorts of ridiculous requirements like EMP resistance but it wasn’t 100% dustproof and unbreakable and cost five figures per unit so eventually they gave up and just started buying crates of DualShocks and modding them because it was cheaper that way even if you treated them as literal one-use items

This tracks with literally everything I hear about engineers and military procurement. The parasites outweigh the mass of the host.

92223_3
Sep 22, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

detective dork, i.B.I. we're gonna need you to crowdsource some questions ma'am

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Aidan_Wolf/status/1701565816385179877

lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This tracks with literally everything I hear about engineers and military procurement. The parasites outweigh the mass of the host.

I suspect that the US military is no longer the strongest conventional military in the world. The Grift has been so big for so long it's completely hollowed out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ruffian Price posted:

meme status aside identifying wood is an excellent resource for the rare cases where you do need to, in fact, identify some wood

has anyone ever made a version of the meme where he's lookin at a dick

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity posted:

I suspect that the US military is no longer the strongest conventional military in the world. The Grift has been so big for so long it's completely hollowed out.
this seems like a dumb thing to think because you spend ten times as much as the next military, so even if more than half of that is just pure waste you come out ahead. Also it supposes other militaries arent enormous grifts too, which seems dubious.

https://twitter.com/katie_honan/status/1705208259357839622?s=20

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

this seems like a dumb thing to think because you spend ten times as much as the next military, so even if more than half of that is just pure waste you come out ahead. Also it supposes other militaries arent enormous grifts too, which seems dubious.

I think half is a wildly, hilariously optimistic estimate.

And no, it doesn't assume other militaries aren't enormous grifts, too. It just assumes that the grift-by-weight in the US is much higher.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

that's the good poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
adams is such a comically strange man. it's too bad he's also a huge piece of poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow, our next president

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, our next president

and vice president adams

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

adams is such a comically strange man. it's too bad he's also a huge piece of poo poo.

many such cases

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ekuNNN posted:

:catstare: How do we stop the cursed Robocops from pulling their heads off?
:science: Make them armless!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

and vice president adams

No, you'd need to have it be the vice president to Zuckerberg to make him seem more human.

I mean he'd still be the most robotic one on the ticket, but it might make him seem slightly more like a biological being in comparison.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

Ten times as much, you say? Sounds like we can have a military that's 90% grift and with our NATO allies outmatch everyone else in the world. Really, having less than 90% grift would be a waste of potential profit. However, Americans are uniquely incredible innovative champions of humanity, so really we could make it 91% and still be fine. And the military are the best of the best, so we could make it 92%. Thanks to our incomparable technology base, we could crush any mere peer, so 93% would still be safe. Our allies are the most technologically sophisticated too, so 94% is fine, and heck they ruled the world for good reason so their inherent superiority makes 95% feasible. Plus we're the good guys, God being with us means 96% is an easy choice, and the morale effect on our enemies from fighting God is easily worth 97%. Capitalism is the best economy which means we make more for everything spent so 98% is logical, and our superior economy means we can destroy our enemies with finances so 99% is rational. Finally, since our military is the best in the world obviously we can skim a bit off the top and nobody will notice or care. 100% pure profit, just as the founding fathers intended.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There was an MSN article I saw earlier today that was like "If you have one of these jobs, AI could replace you" and then you open the article and it's one of those loving slideshows, but anyway each slide is a different job and the list says which skills AI has down and which ones it's still struggling with and the list is poo poo like

1. Delivery Driver

AI is good at about half the skills, like business operation, communication, and math.

AI struggles with about 40% of the other skills such as: vehicle operation.

There was another one too that was like "Medical Assistant. AI excels at communication, struggles with the healthcare aspect of the job"

lmao ok great work little buddy you've got everything down except the core aspect

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

christmas boots posted:

There was an MSN article I saw earlier today that was like "If you have one of these jobs, AI could replace you" and then you open the article and it's one of those loving slideshows, but anyway each slide is a different job and the list says which skills AI has down and which ones it's still struggling with and the list is poo poo like

1. Delivery Driver

AI is good at about half the skills, like business operation, communication, and math.

There was another one too that was like "Medical Assistant. AI excels at communication, struggles with the healthcare aspect of the job"

lmao ok great work little buddy you've got everything down except the core aspect

this loving boomer reads msn

your time is over old man

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

christmas boots posted:

1. Delivery Driver

that's a lot of words to say "i looked on MSN and found stupid clickbait trash"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lmao AI failed at writing the article itself

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems kind of worthless to point out that automation/AI are going to replace a particular job without a clear path/timeline for getting there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Fro some stupid reason I have to use Edge at work and it's the first thing that comes up.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it happened again
https://i.imgur.com/QpKVA3Q.mp4
https://www.thedrive.com/news/cruise-robotaxis-cause-austin-street-gridlock-due-to-heavy-pedestrian-traffic
https://twitter.com/pradnico/status/1703284398840299580

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, our next president

Killbot is shattering the silicon ceiling

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1e0zqGG1r1vmobp0_720.mp4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems kind of worthless to point out that automation/AI are going to replace a particular job without a clear path/timeline for getting there.

it’s a lot easier to make predictions if you don’t have to anchor them on a “when”

see also: Canadian real estate thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yup. Although so is trump and we love him, so idk how to feel

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

He's doing it for his microsoft rewards points, go easy on him, we're all doing the same!

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

ekuNNN posted:

I assure you almost all of it is waste, defense contractors are public companies with all the parasitism that entails

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole 'C'mon, I bet Russia's nukes don't even work!' poo poo is probably projection.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

If you read any of the books or reports about American nuclear arsenals and their history and upkeep you'll either laugh or cry at how we haven't blown up yet so yeah almost deffo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

it’s a lot easier to make predictions if you don’t have to anchor them on a “when”

see also: Canadian real estate thread

Also if your vague on exactly what your predicting at well. Like, 'At some point in time in the future AI will make things get get bad!'. I mean, yeah no poo poo, but what are you even predicting at that point.

Economists and fortune tellers make careers out of this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey, an excuse to post a LazerPig video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-4Z9XrjNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Kitfox88 posted:

If you read any of the books or reports about American nuclear arsenals and their history and upkeep you'll either laugh or cry at how we haven't blown up yet so yeah almost deffo

remember when we classified a critical bomb technology so hard that we completely forgot how to make the magic kaboom foam and had to re-create that part of the manhattan project to figure it out all over again?

good times.