Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Not the Messiah posted:

https://dragonbornsfate.moddinglinked.com/

The basic stuff covers the prime big bugfixes and interface bits, the extended section has the more opinionated game changing (but not too much) stuff you can pick and choose from

Thank you very much, I put it in over an evening, played for another evening and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dear modders: the invulnerable flag on NPCs should not ever have been a part of the game, please don't use it.
Your overwrought villain's pre-dying speech is just not that good. it never is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going to ask in an Oblivion thread but this one seems much more active.

Yo, they took Through the Valleys off of wabbajack? How am I going to install Oblivion, play it for two weeks and quit, every six months to a year??

Seriously, is there any sort of archive service for wabbajack? I don't want to have to install it manually but it really was what I wanted to play after Starfield and while waiting for Cyberpunk Blackwall to be updated to 2.0.

Edit - the hell with it, I'm installing it manually, bleh.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kartikeya posted:

It's hard to compete with the very enthusiastic dragon viking choir. Skyrim's theme is already basically a heavy metal mashup of both Morrowind and Oblivion though (and Oblivion itself has a bouncier take on Morrowind's leitmotif anyway) with its own contributions. I've always loved how each one has basically built over top of Nerevar Rising.

Speaking of Nerevar Rising.

its so cool that the fanmod comes up first in search when you google nerevar rising.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was going to ask in an Oblivion thread but this one seems much more active.

Yo, they took Through the Valleys off of wabbajack? How am I going to install Oblivion, play it for two weeks and quit, every six months to a year??

Seriously, is there any sort of archive service for wabbajack? I don't want to have to install it manually but it really was what I wanted to play after Starfield and while waiting for Cyberpunk Blackwall to be updated to 2.0.

Edit - the hell with it, I'm installing it manually, bleh.

I don’t think there’s an archive you can access now, but iirc when you download a list off wabbajack you get a file you can use to re-install it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Was it dumb ego politics again?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

By popular demand posted:

Was it dumb ego politics again?

No idea.

It's in Nexus' collections here, though I think that requires using Vortex.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

With Mod Organizer 2 is it advisable to use wrye bash to make a bashed patch?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 22, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think for skyrim mator smash is a better patch generator.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

With Mod Organizer 2 is it advisable to use wrye bash to make a bashed patch?

wrye is pretty outdated for skyrim. if you need to do something along those lines, try mator smash.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
All this smashing and mashing, can't these mods just get along

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Anyone know if there's a fix for when your mouse highlight gets stuck during conversations or in inventory items?

What I mean is if you go to inventory, click a book then hit escape, it will continue to highlight the book even though your mouse position is hovering over something else. And it won't click on the item you want it to... same thing with conversations.

I tried googling this but there's way too many other results with mouse behavior.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Numberwang!!! posted:

Anyone know if there's a fix for when your mouse highlight gets stuck during conversations or in inventory items?

What I mean is if you go to inventory, click a book then hit escape, it will continue to highlight the book even though your mouse position is hovering over something else. And it won't click on the item you want it to... same thing with conversations.

I tried googling this but there's way too many other results with mouse behavior.

If there's a solution I'm for it, but I think that's one egregious problem nobody's been able to fix.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Numberwang!!! posted:

There is a fix for the conversations version of this bug at least, it's under Better Dialog Controls IIRC. I'd post a link but I'm on mobile right now.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

There is a fix for the conversations version of this bug at least, it's under Better Dialog Controls IIRC. I'd post a link but I'm on mobile right now.

ok I'll check it out, thanks

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have the original Skyrim release on Steam but when I check out mods they all seem to say Skyrim SE or Skyrim LE which I guess came afterward. DLC aside are they all going to break used with Old School Skyrim?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm pretty sure LE was just a bundle that included all the DLC.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pretty much all of them will yes. Most modding eventually moved on to SE, since it's a lot more stable. (SE or Anniversary Edition is the latest version)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any difficulty/encounter mods out there that treat high hrothgar as a low level area instead of spawning frost wolves and trolls that completely demolish you? Every time I get there I remember I have the same problem and have to lower the difficulty down to the easiest setting just for this place. I don't know what it is about this place but it always gives me issues.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Are there any difficulty/encounter mods out there that treat high hrothgar as a low level area instead of spawning frost wolves and trolls that completely demolish you? Every time I get there I remember I have the same problem and have to lower the difficulty down to the easiest setting just for this place. I don't know what it is about this place but it always gives me issues.

~,tgm,~

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

That’s not mods doing that. Even in the base game unmodded, there’s always a frost troll on the Steps at that overhang, it’s an infamous difficulty spike. And the animals being pretty fierce also goes with. It’s just part of the game - when you make the trip up, you need to be ready to fight one troll, and probably at least a bear too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can always just Unrelenting Force the troll and run past while it's stunned, you don't have to kill it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

skyrim vr question: is there anything like familiar faces out for it that would facilitate rolling custom followers? playing skyrim as a party-based rpg is by far the most fun i had with it and im getting that itch again

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Now I'm not going to say it will 100% work because Skyrim VR can be a bit particular with mods, but most of the time a mod that works for special edition will work for VR.

For Familiar Faces in particular, it seems that the special edition version is hosted on Patreon (for free) as opposed to the nexus, so you should be able to use that version in Skyrim VR. Again, I'm not going to guarantee it will work, because I haven't tested it myself and Skyrim VR is a little extra work to get put together with mods than regular Special Edition.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's also Project Proteus which doesn't have the trappings Familiar Faces does, but it allows you to create and modify characters on the fly, swap whom you're controlling, and do lots of other stuff as well.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if something requires skse then you probably won't be able to run it on skyrim VR.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a VR version of SKSE

There are probably some compatibility issues between the engine versions though.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 28, 2023

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Looks like Proteus offers a specific version for VR, nice

Thanks y’all!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I finally got a new SSD and got a new load order going, and I'm trying to rejuvenate my load order. While I'm still an EnaiRim/TrainWiz booster, I did swap out some old favorites for new stuff this time, and I'm actually going to give Legacy of the Dragonborn a fair shake.

My biggest two changes are that I'm going to play with Survival Mode this time, and I'm trying out a combo I highly recommend to everyone:
  • True Directional Movement: Makes controls much more like other Character Action Games in 3rd person, includes lock-on functionality.
  • Attack Commitment: makes attacking more like the souls games, where you can't turn while swinging.
  • Precision: this is the big one, it basically changes how weapons work and makes your swings do damage when they actually physically touch enemies, rather than using hit and damage boxes. This is basically how Souls does it.
  • The Ultimate Dodge Mod: I chose this one because it seems to be the one with the most support for controllers.
And, last but not least,
  • The combat overhaul of your choice, I went with Wildcat.

While I would hesitate to call the result Soulslike, I would call it Soulsish. It's been really fun to play with.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure TDM's lockon also works in first-person, which can be helpful for ranged stuff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the best part about precision is that with just that mod you basically get a lighter version of vermintide's combat. Attack commitment is kinda goofy with first person attacks imo and for the incredible work that skysa and it's offshoot ADXP did it makes the game worse to play in first person.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I meant to mention that I'm playing in 3rd person as much as possible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm having a bit of an issue that I've been living with for a while now but it's becoming too distracting. For some reason (well, we know the reason) that every body replacement mod turns the women into plastic dolls, lucky the ones for the men at least give their skin texture that's facsimile of a real person's. Thankfully there are people of culture out there and made texture mods that gave the women characters skin texture, blemishes and all the great imperfections you find on human skin. Unfortunately, when I installed that mod some hours into my new game I forgot about the stupid face/body texture issue where they're different, notably in the outfits and armor. How do you fix this? The mod itself was just texture files with no .esp associated with it, so this is extra puzzling to me.

I remember the CTRL+F4 stuff in the creation kit but it's fine on the bodies, it's just in some outfits that show skin is the problem. I have that bodyslide program too and it shows up fine in that.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Jimbot posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue that I've been living with for a while now but it's becoming too distracting. For some reason (well, we know the reason) that every body replacement mod turns the women into plastic dolls, lucky the ones for the men at least give their skin texture that's facsimile of a real person's. Thankfully there are people of culture out there and made texture mods that gave the women characters skin texture, blemishes and all the great imperfections you find on human skin. Unfortunately, when I installed that mod some hours into my new game I forgot about the stupid face/body texture issue where they're different, notably in the outfits and armor. How do you fix this? The mod itself was just texture files with no .esp associated with it, so this is extra puzzling to me.

I remember the CTRL+F4 stuff in the creation kit but it's fine on the bodies, it's just in some outfits that show skin is the problem. I have that bodyslide program too and it shows up fine in that.

Generally skin mods are made for certain bodies (CBBE, UNP, Vanilla, etc). If the outfit/armor isn’t made or adapted for that body type, the the skin won’t show and you’ll get a fallback texture (not sure from where, exactly).

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Jimbot posted:

what texture mod are you using? and what body (vanilla or the other one.. or the other other one), depending on what you've done, you might need to build all the armors and clothes via bodyslide.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I use cbbe vanilla and the texture mod I got after the fact was mature skin because of all the options I saw those were the most sensible or customizable. But yeah, I was thinking that I'd need to rebuild everything in bodyslide. Tedious but it's basically just one button press because the texture shows up normally in that program and just not in-game so it's not entirely terrible - a shame it doesn't offer batch rebuilds. I tried to look for conversions but they're all just the author's thinly disguised (if even that) fetishes. Lots of bikini armor or boob window plate or boob/butt physics. No thanks.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I use cbbe vanilla and the texture mod I got after the fact was mature skin because of all the options I saw those were the most sensible or customizable. But yeah, I was thinking that I'd need to rebuild everything in bodyslide. Tedious but it's basically just one button press because the texture shows up normally in that program and just not in-game so it's not entirely terrible - a shame it doesn't offer batch rebuilds. I tried to look for conversions but they're all just the author's thinly disguised (if even that) fetishes. Lots of bikini armor or boob window plate or boob/butt physics. No thanks.

The problem's probably not the texture mod itself, its likely that the nifs that are loading, point to a different texture.

Batch building should be a breeze - IIRC build the body first then filter for all the armors and clothes you're using, make sure you've tagged build morphs and batch build. If you're using mod organizer 2, you can set the output into a separate mod which helps with checking the end results.

Like there're some gotchas in the process, I could try digging out a proper guide if you need one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you could that'd be great. At one point I knew this stuff but then two years pass by and you just forget everything. I even forgot that Mod Organizer kept everything as is for you so it was a nice surprise when I decided to play again that I didn't need to spend the day modding all the essential stuff in and hoping the game didn't crash at the Bethesda logo.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Jimbot posted:

If you could that'd be great. At one point I knew this stuff but then two years pass by and you just forget everything. I even forgot that Mod Organizer kept everything as is for you so it was a nice surprise when I decided to play again that I didn't need to spend the day modding all the essential stuff in and hoping the game didn't crash at the Bethesda logo.

There's tons of bullshit and outdated guides out there, but here's what I put together, not least because my browser history indicated I checked this last time.

The MO2 setup I find the most easy to understand and troubleshoot is to create an empty mod entry (right click and select create empty mod), name something like "bodyslide output" then setup the bodyslide executable to be run through mod organizer.

simple guide here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Bvlj6A7

The difference being that you'll check the "create files in mod instead of overwrite" option and set the empty mod as the target. Now you can see everything it outputs, and check for problems by just looking into that folder. Placing the mod as one of the last in the load order makes it even easier to troubleshoot.

As for bodyslide itself, this video guide that should be one of the first results when googling (I swear I saw this in clear written form somewhere but maybe I've dreamed it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piuKW5L5MM0
(for fallout 4 but works for skyrim as well) is still the shortest and clearest, just forget anything it says about setting the file output path since that's already done IMO better above.

Build the body first then all the armors/clothes. CBBE should contain all the nifs and slider xmls for the base game and expansions

Assuming the textures are compatible with the body and nothing else overwrites anything you should be golden?

If I completely missed the mark, let me know, especially if you get new funny bugs :P

As an aside, I use an empty mod target for Nemesis output (the animation thingamajig) as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Whiterun Has Walls just released, looks wild.