Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quiggy posted:

starting 2 think profit optimization isn't the best way to run a society

excuse me, best way to allocate resources coming through, pardon me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
All money with 1 person is Pareto optimal

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ArmZ posted:

diabetics can't get ozempic because its in such high demand as a fat loss drug
I'm an obese diabetic and my doctor does backflips for what ozempic does for my lab work but it hasn't done anything for my weight =\

"Treat this box better than we treat our employees."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm an obese diabetic and my doctor does backflips for what ozempic does for my lab work but it hasn't done anything for my weight =\

The dosage for weight loss is significantly higher than the dosage for diabetes, sorry

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ozempic makes you eat less by giving you diarrhea if you overeat. At which point is that threshold? Good luck, lmao

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shame Boy posted:

The dosage for weight loss is significantly higher than the dosage for diabetes, sorry
I'm on the max dosage

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

That Old Ganon posted:

Ozempic makes you eat less by giving you diarrhea if you overeat. At which point is that threshold? Good luck, lmao

I guess you could try overeating so much you poo poo yourself?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pre-emptive poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm on the max dosage

Oh you just got bad genes then. Hope you're still under warranty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Can we just invent nanobots already, gently caress you drexler

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I just had my hot water heater replaced because it developed an electrical short. When the plumber saw it he remarked how he hadn't seen that model for a long time, because the company that made them made them so well they lasted 30+ years so nobody had to replace them and the company went out of business.

starkebn has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Sep 23, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

starkebn posted:

I just had my hot water heater replaced because it developed an electrical short. When the plumber saw it he remarked how he hadn't seen that model for a long time, because the company that made them made them so well they lasted 30+ years so nobody had to replace them and the company when out of business.

If he hadn't seen them for a long time how could they last that long :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

If he hadn't seen them for a long time how could they last that long :colbert:

mine lasted longer than most :11tea:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

starkebn posted:

I just had my hot water heater replaced because it developed an electrical short. When the plumber saw it he remarked how he hadn't seen that model for a long time, because the company that made them made them so well they lasted 30+ years so nobody had to replace them and the company went out of business.

poo poo tradies say.txt

the actual answer is the company either:

A: could not compete with the pricepoint of cheap garbage manufactured by indentured labor.

B: was looted by new management and folded.

C: Both A and B.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

starkebn posted:

jesus, nobody can say this isn't 100% on topic.

It's total lunacy how crappy poo poo is now

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

jesus, nobody can say this isn't 100% on topic.

It's total lunacy how crappy poo poo is now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbhRrLuy0tc

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MRC48B posted:

A: could not compete with the pricepoint of cheap garbage manufactured by indentured labor.

this is exactly what he was saying though

they made the boiler out of copper, so they never corroded - I'm sure that made them a more expensive model

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Poor working man can only afford $50 boots that last 6 months.

The bourgeois banker buys $100 shoes that last 3 years.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Subjunctive posted:

excuse me, best way to allocate resources coming through, pardon me

and that's why in wartime aka a time of shortages and unstable supply they *checks notes* implement rationing? wait what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

and that's why in wartime aka a time of shortages and unstable supply they *checks notes* implement rationing? wait what

When I was in highschool and we got to WWII and rationing came up, shithead me went "yeah it was central planning, like communism!" and the teacher got real mad lol

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

I still want someone to point me to a good replacement for the mythical instant pot of yore

I'm still mad about Corning Ware.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

When I was in highschool and we got to WWII and rationing came up, shithead me went "yeah it was central planning, like communism!" and the teacher got real mad lol

Doing god's work o7

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bald Stalin posted:

Poor working man can only afford $50 boots that last 6 months.

good news, we've solved that particular problem!

now both the cheap boots and the expensive boots are made in the same factory to the same standards but one gets a premium label and the rich banker buys 4 more pairs within 2 years anyway because an old label is just gauche and tacky. he still talks about how they last forever

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
also the cheap pair is now $150 and the expensive pair is $400 despite input costs remaining essentially static in the last decade

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

tokin opposition posted:

I still want someone to point me to a good replacement for the mythical instant pot of yore

There is none. They're all cheaply made timebombs at this point. Get an instantpot secondhand or something made 30 years ago maybe? It was "just" a pressure cooker except it was one made in modern times that wasn't at extreme risk of recreating the boston marathon in your kitchen.

The good failure is the tolerances are poo poo so they don't seal and it's an unwieldy crockpot that doesn't pressurecook. The bad failure is the valve is calibrated wrong/prone to corrosion and allows the pressure to exceed the structural integrity of the rest of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just get a stovetop pressure cooker.
They cant hide how poo poo it is with plastic.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

experienced craftspeople still exist in places with lower cost of living. vietnam's malls have booths that will take your fit for way better clothes and shoes than you can get here

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Bald Stalin posted:

The banker could spend as much on shoes as they want, they're lasting 3+ years because working in an office (or remotely) is much more low impact than any work where a person is on their feet every day.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How do you propose a company stays in business if they only ever produced one single product that they've completely met demand for for the foreseeable future? If they don't come up with a new product, they literally have nothing else to do on the market.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Paladinus posted:

How do you propose a company stays in business if they only ever produced one single product that they've completely met demand for for the foreseeable future? If they don't come up with a new product, they literally have nothing else to do on the market.

In Australia, residential gas meters are requried by law to be replaced every decade. There are about 5 million households with mains gas supply, which comes out to over 1500 meters needing to be removed and replaced every day.

Even for a product that lasts 30 years there is always demand for replacements/new installs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paladinus posted:

given how many people are posting "wish I could get a real instant pot", the demand has clearly not been met

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

That Old Ganon posted:

"Treat this box better than we treat our employees."

sorry :( hope things work out for you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GotLag posted:

In Australia, residential gas meters are requried by law to be replaced every decade. There are about 5 million households with mains gas supply, which comes out to over 1500 meters needing to be removed and replaced every day.

Even for a product that lasts 30 years there is always demand for replacements/new installs.

That's just government-mandated planned obsolescence.

Also, consider that producing something on a larger scale is usually cheaper per unit. If instead of the initial 10 million units a year, you have to sharply scale down to only 100k a year, it may not be feasible to remain profitable.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Sep 23, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Paladinus posted:

hmm, sounds like a problem with capitalism

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paladinus posted:

What did those people do before that company existed? Companies don’t have to be forever.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Subjunctive posted:

What did those people do before that company existed? Companies don’t have to be forever.

Well, yes. That's my point.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Paladinus posted:

gently caress off back to gbs

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Paladinus posted:

it may not be feasible to remain profitable.

CSPAM > capitalism.png: it may not be feasible to remain profitable

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm also not sure if I'd classify government regs requiring something be replaced before it fails is planned/enforced obsolescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm also not sure if I'd classify government regs requiring something be replaced before it fails is planned/enforced obsolescence.

It's literally centrally planned and legally enforced obsolescence