Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

How often in history have multiple generals been taken out in one strike like this? Has it ever happened? Generals haven’t really died on the battlefield since the Early Modern, and it was pretty rare before that.

And obviously lol, indeed, lmao.

The July 20th plot on Hitler's life comes to mind as somewhat analogous, of course that was an inside job tho.

List_of_people_killed_or_wounded_in_the_20_July_plot

Although you probably have to assume that the targeting and timing for this decapitation strike on their HQ was corroborated with inside information. It's too bad Putin is too much of a pussy to have been in attendance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wow, that would cripple them if this is true.

https://twitter.com/HighMarsed/status/1705170029434606047

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

For all we know this is a repair yard for the vehicles themselves and while they wait for repairs they remove the barrels as those remain useful to the pieces in the field.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Pook Good Mook posted:

For all we know this is a repair yard for the vehicles themselves and while they wait for repairs they remove the barrels as those remain useful to the pieces in the field.

If they had plenty of new barrels laying around they probably wouldn't be swapping used ones around.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pook Good Mook posted:

If a military is stripping parts from their own equipment while it’s being repaired, then they are in some dire god drat straights.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

If a military is stripping parts from their own equipment while it’s being repaired, then they are in some dire god drat straights.

"Dire Straight" sounds like a gag monster from the Rules Cyclopedia. Often encountered with the Wild Bore.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Morale must be getting rough, they'll no longer be brothers in arms

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

J33uk posted:

At least they're not running out of heavy fuel.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a good thing you can get money for nothing if you're exchanging for rubles

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'd prefer if Russia was just going home

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Would a, I'm assuming pretty, simple tank barrels be that hard a part to manufacture though? Of course they need the to actually set up a factory or what not to do it and make sure the metal they used is up to poo poo, but for russia that seems like an easier thing.

It's more shortages in hi-tech stuff which really requires a lot of very specific manufacturing technology that russia doesn't have that seems would be a real problem for them.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Barrels are actually one of the major logistic issues with artillery. Their manufacture requires specific steel and can only be carried out at a very small number of factories with the appropriate equipment. For example the UK currently has 0 ability to manufacture tank or artillery barrels.

I assume Russia has a few plants based on their doctrine, but I would be surprised if many of them survived the post-Soviet looting period, and considering how many shells they fire they must be wearing them out much faster than they can produce new ones.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Would a, I'm assuming pretty, simple tank barrels be that hard a part to manufacture though? Of course they need the to actually set up a factory or what not to do it and make sure the metal they used is up to poo poo, but for russia that seems like an easier thing.

It's more shortages in hi-tech stuff which really requires a lot of very specific manufacturing technology that russia doesn't have that seems would be a real problem for them.

It's not difficult to make long hard barrels but you do need to set up enough production lines which costs money and can be difficult with a flaccid impotent economy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

[In extremely Perun voice] The oft quoted number is that Russia is/was expending 20,000 shells per day. An M777 needs a barrel replacement after 2500 rounds. That's not Russian artillery piece and the Russians probably stretch that a fair bit, but let's say 3000. This means that they need about 6-7 barrels per day. So about roughly 2500 per year. [Insert carefully researched artillery barrel production numbers here]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Source is Budanov so its best to completely disregard it until independent confirmation

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Making cannon barrels or reboring old ones is not rocket science (duh, it's gun science!), but when you have an 8m barrel at 152 mm calibre that has the weight of a truck it's just not simple or cheap to do. Russia has a lot of heavy industries but the tools also wear out faster during a war and replacing takes some more time due to things like sanctions and labour shortages.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
[quote: all the posters posting that tank barrel information]

Ah thanks all, that's very good to know!

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

J33uk posted:

They were definitely fools to make war.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

2 missiles were shot down when they collided with the interceptor. Said interceptor was the Black Sea Fleet HQ. 2 birds with 1 stone, it didn't even have to move to perform a successful intercept!

That reporter is being so careful to show nothing and talk vaguely and I still feel like he's walking a very fine tightrope.

To be clear, that "reporter" is really more of a Russian-side propagandist, if you look at the rest of his account.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nenonen posted:

Making cannon barrels or reboring old ones is not rocket science (duh, it's gun science!), but when you have an 8m barrel at 152 mm calibre that has the weight of a truck it's just not simple or cheap to do. Russia has a lot of heavy industries but the tools also wear out faster during a war and replacing takes some more time due to things like sanctions and labour shortages.

How hard could it be to make something like this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Just grind 3mm from the other side duh

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

They both round to 10 so within spec.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Just hit it with a hammer until the hole nudges to the centre. It's called calibration.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
No that barrels good. It naturally tends towards firing at those who will be coming towards it from the right so as they can more easy to fire towards the tank with their left hand aiming.

Obviously a barrel specifically designed to rid the world of those devil possessed left handed folk, which I believe we can all agree is a good thing!

(any one who nit picks this post accuracy is obviously part of the evil left handed, devil puppeted cabal and I shant listen to them.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

There are going to be some issues when that one needs relined. :stonklol:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Just Another Lurker posted:

There are going to be some issues when that one needs relined. :stonklol:

Nah actually that’s perfect and enables the legendary ”curved bullet” tank aces to shoot around corners.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

fatherboxx posted:

Source is Budanov so its best to completely disregard it until independent confirmation

Serious question: I recognize that part of his and his organization's role is disinformation, but has he been inaccurate with such assessments in the past?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ynglaur posted:

Serious question: I recognize that part of his and his organization's role is disinformation, but has he been inaccurate with such assessments in the past?

they're all over the place

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

J33uk posted:

:golfclap:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4218467-mccarthy-vows-to-strip-ukraine-money-from-pentagon-bill-after-greene-no-vote/amp/

Sorry for linking The Hill, I grabbed the first article I could find, but it looks like Republicans have started to push dropping support for Ukraine. They’re going mask off.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nah, it's the same group of 5-10 House members as always. What happened is that this week McCarthy totally caved to every one of their budget demands so he could get anything passed. The House budget will be laughed out of the Senate and the government will shut down next week.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

He caved to their demands and they still voted against proceeding with a vote. He's hosed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sexy tiger boobs posted:

He caved to their demands and they still voted against proceeding with a vote. He's hosed.

He's been hosed since the beginning. You can't negotiate with tantrum-throwing children who don't know what they actually want, and the fact that he didn't figure this out after 14 elections speaks gravely of him

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

I mean, this could be where they send the tanks to get new barrels put on and there is just a delay in shipment,
or these tanks went there because they all have defective barrels, who knows.

However, A while ago, we did have a discussion about whether or not it was a possibility that Russia ran out of arty shells, and several people pointed out it was far more likely that they will run out of tubes first, so it seems well within the realm of possibility that they are cannibalizing their semi-functional stock to maintain the front line.

Are there any other places we can look to see if this hypothesis holds any water? What would we expect to see in the next few weeks if the Russian army is indeed running low on this type of arty tube?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I think the hilariously informal way of analyzing barrel shortage started with discussing how russia was spitting out eleven zillion more artillery shells than their opponents

in a protracted war taking place mostly on the ground that was perfect conditions for artillery mattering the most

and we still ended up watching them on a slow slide down and people started wondering hey are they just puking out shells with absurdly lie accuracy because their barrels are already mostly hosed but they gotta keep using them to failure

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Dire Straight" sounds like a gag monster from the Rules Cyclopedia. Often encountered with the Wild Bore.

Its here

Its hungry

It wants its MTV

We got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color tv's

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Ukrainian hacker group "Muppets" claims that they have broken into Russian flight reservation company Sirena's database and stolen information on 664 million flights over the past 16 years. There's names, phone numbers, itineraries, payment data etc. They have released part of the data on Telegram but they are saying that they won't be releasing it all except to e.g. investigative journalists or Ukrainian defence forces. It's going to be prettty, pretttty useful asset to someone like Belling Cat or Ukrainian prosecutors, me thinks!

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/09/23/7421071/
https://storage.googleapis.com/isto...medium=mainpage

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

A Ukrainian hacker group "Muppets" claims that they have broken into Russian flight reservation company Sirena's database and stolen information on 664 million flights over the past 16 years. There's names, phone numbers, itineraries, payment data etc. They have released part of the data on Telegram but they are saying that they won't be releasing it all except to e.g. investigative journalists or Ukrainian defence forces. It's going to be prettty, pretttty useful asset to someone like Belling Cat or Ukrainian prosecutors, me thinks!

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/09/23/7421071/
https://storage.googleapis.com/isto...medium=mainpage

If I was a senior Russian military official, I'd be pretty worried about getting got right about now, like that dude who got bagged due to his Strava run data.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There may be some interesting findings once you start looking at already known FSB, GRU and other spies, notice who paid for their domestic flights, and then see who others got paid for by the same actor. Not saying that they'd be THAT dumb, but they MIGHT be, or at least there could be clear patterns that become obvious through proper analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 41 hours!)

Nenonen posted:

There may be some interesting findings once you start looking at already known FSB, GRU and other spies, notice who paid for their domestic flights, and then see who others got paid for by the same actor. Not saying that they'd be THAT dumb, but they MIGHT be, or at least there could be clear patterns that become obvious through proper analysis.

Consecutive. Numbered. Passports.