Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Debating whether I should rewatch Ben Butt for this. Haven’t seen it since release and don’t remember much other than being very bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You should rewatch it backwards.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I cried at the ending of benjamin button when he became a little kid and I saw the last half hour flipping channels 6 months ago and cried again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is anyone else having trouble playing that AvP Patreon episode

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao Zodiac is simultaneously creepier, and also funnier than I remember.

"Murder, cabbie."
"Wasn't me, I was asleep with my wife."

"Oh yes he called, I was out, he spoke to my house keeper. Didn't leave a number."
"He's kinda crafty like that."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Goldeneye commentary, lmao at Griffin steering the lunch order away from Thai food because of a future guest's egg allergy and then immediately going "eh no biggie" when Ben asks if they should stay away from fried sandwiches as well.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Human Tornada posted:

Goldeneye commentary, lmao at Griffin steering the lunch order away from Thai food because of a future guest's egg allergy and then immediately going "eh no biggie" when Ben asks if they should stay away from fried sandwiches as well.

Zooks?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Game convo is one of the few times I'm fully in Griffin's camp and outside Sim's; the idea of it being about a man so wealthy he cannot process what is real and what is fake is intriguing but the execution is just not there. Griffin's undercutting of the point is the same as my own, it's a good cable movie, but hardly a worthy title to follow up Seven.

I'd rate it worse than 8mm tbh.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Griffin revealing his watching Behind the Candelabra at least once a year was pretty funny.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Don't skip the ad reads on the fight club episode

FFFFUUUCK YOOOOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I thought that the Fight Club episode was pretty funny because they didn't have any real context for the movie and just referenced some vague genX subtext without really understanding why.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I have some of those business card cdr disks they mentioned in the episode. I bought them around the same time that this movie came out!

I think they only held around 50mb but it was more than enough to hold a resume and some work samples. I could never get them to work though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RVWinkle posted:

I have some of those business card cdr disks they mentioned in the episode. I bought them around the same time that this movie came out!

I think they only held around 50mb but it was more than enough to hold a resume and some work samples. I could never get them to work though.

loving no one could. I remember my CD-ROM had a little mini slot in the middle that, in theory, was supposed to hold them, but it never worked.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... calm down your opening credits don't need to go this loving hard. :eyepop:

Edit: reminder that Fincher did the teaser trailer for this which was set to Immigrant Song and had the the tag "get ready for the feel bad hit of the season" and also went extremely hard.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Always love to see ARP as the guest, knowing I have 3 1/2 hours of pod to listen too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah gently caress this Ben Button pod. They got a bad case of the contrarians, news flash, just because people called something tepid Oscar bait at the time doesn't mean you have to try and reclaim it, especially if it is in fact and demonstrably tepid Oscar bait.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Here’s my case of the contrarians: The Social Network loving sucks and the world would be better of if it was never made.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’d like to hear more about that take

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It makes the people responsible for facebook look like interesting, troubled and brilliant instead of stupid and boring. Also literally anything written by Sorkin drives me loving crazy. The story of facebook isn’t interesting, Zuckerberg isn’t interesting. Sorkin is a bad writer who’s characters all sound like coked up assholes because he’s a coked up rear end in a top hat.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ok but what impact did the movie have on the world?

Also it does not make them seem interesting IMO, it makes them seem like sniveling little weasels

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Here’s my case of the contrarians: The Social Network loving sucks and the world would be better of if it was never made.

Totally correct. Social Network is a poor film with a bad ending and awful dialogue.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah gently caress this Ben Button pod. They got a bad case of the contrarians, news flash, just because people called something tepid Oscar bait at the time doesn't mean you have to try and reclaim it, especially if it is in fact and demonstrably tepid Oscar bait.

Yeah never liked it. Like his decision to leave is stupid and not part of a secret awesome reading of the film.

Like the Social Network though that film rules.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would say that I'm more of a fan of early Fincher but I haven't watched Mank or Gone Girl yet. I remember the Social Network being decent but I'm really put off by the subject matter so I have no interest in revisiting it.

Have they announced the next director yet? I feel like this series is already winding down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nope, they still have five more for Fincher

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Are they going to do a new Mission Impossible commentary when it's on VOD ya think?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I dunno, I don’t think their take on Button is a bad one, it’s just one of those things that either resonates with you or doesn’t. I think the movie could have done a better job dealing with the themes they talk about and is a little too long and dull for my tastes, but they’re not totally off in describing what the movie is about. There is definitely a profound sadness and melancholy about the film that I got on a rewatch and didn’t feel when I saw it back in 2008.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When I hear a "take" and the first consideration is not their reaction to the film, but rather than to the reaction of the straw man critic then I know their opinion is unfortunately nonsense.

They spend thrice the time talking about the general meh the film received then on why the film should be considered good. And their reasoning for why it should be reconsidered is ill considered. Smatterings of standard sentimentality mixed with boring digressions and a circumlocutory screenplay does not a great film make unless you're trying to play Pacino.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

They spend thrice the time talking about the general meh the film received then on why the film should be considered good.

This is definitely not true and you seem a bit weirdly worked up about this movie and pod about it

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it doesnt matter what htey think of the film as long as they can entertain me during it. barely seen any of the drat movies anyways

Future Me Hates Me
Sep 27, 2018
The movie also got fairly good reviews at the time and they said it was still bottom 5 Finchman so they're not even being that contrarian.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I often disagree with Griffin and David and I don't even find the podcast that insightful. But it's one of my very favorite podcasts anyway cuz it's just entertaining.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I also think it's refreshing how typically they try to find the good in things rather than being yet another "can you BELIEVE how much this SUCKS?!?!?" type podcast

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I actually find Griffin to be the more thoughtful and insightful one 80% of the time, which is funny since Sims is a critic and supposedly thinks about movies for a living. I don’t really care for David’s writing either, tbh, he’s pretty milquetoast as a writer but is a hoot on the podcast.

Riptor posted:

I also think it's refreshing how typically they try to find the good in things rather than being yet another "can you BELIEVE how much this SUCKS?!?!?" type podcast

This is also one of the big things that keeps me coming back to the podcast. Though they do often call out when something is abjectly terrible or when a particular person sucks, which is also nice.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 26, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Griffin often tries too hard to explain a director and their psychology. Like he latches onto one little thing in a film and will try to tell all about the true soul of the director.

It’s fun and makes for conversation, but wouldn’t take it as fact.

Yeah pod has their wild takes at times, but makes for a fun list of films to watch. It’s definitely got me to watch some great films that I may not have gotten to on my own (like the handmaiden recently or all that jazz).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Griffin, amateur psychologist, was absolutely terrible during the Mann season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It was funny reading this conversation then listening to the actual episode which is unusually focused for them and full of praise for individual performances and scenes and has Ben nearly tearing up at a part he found personally affecting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Props on them for recognizing The Double. One of the best 3.5 star movies ever, too bad the director didn't ever get to do anything again. One of Eisenberg's best performances.

Griffin's take on Blackhat is spot on. In Heat 2 Mann has Chris basically say what Griffin said on the pod. It doesn't matter that they were the best crew in the world, they were fighting over chump change at incredible risk because they couldn't adapt.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 29, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zodiac over There Will Be Blood is the single most insane take I've ever heard. Zodiac is a good thriller, TWBB is the greatest American movie of the century

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nah that’s the correct take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not taking anyone's opinion into consideration when they have a No Country av. You're trying to sow confusion regarding that theatrical year.