Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It might matter for enemies with high defense like behemoth biters since they ignore the first x amount of damage and more bullets can't keep up with better bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Critical path is meant to not need quality so it's hard to imagine the new planets will have enemies completely negating bullets without quality.

But maybe we can expect some resists like or beyond behemoth biters that will make quality bullets intriguing for huge evolution or deathworld type settings.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How long until I can buy an early access/alpha/beta/whatever copy of the expansion?

Reading FFF has me pretty excited for the new game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If they were mostly done and just showing off for hype reasons the earliest would be in about 6ish weeks? I could imagine they need to show off space and each planet at the minimum. Not to mention the new enemies.

Honestly gonna say probably more like 3-6 months.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I thought they said in the first new FFF that it would be at least a year.

e: yeah

quote:

Lets start with the (probably) bad news. Since we know where we are and what is the goal, we can start to approximate the date of releasing the expansion, which is planned to be about one year from now. It is still a long time, but at least it is getting more specific.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Jabor posted:

I can't see putting quality modules in ammo assemblers, but I could see having quality modules on some of the intermediates that feed into them and getting quality ammo that way.

It wouldn't surprise me if "free" quality in ammo manufacturing was a military research tree, or possibly an infinite research. It's hard to find a use case where intentionally making/filtering for quality ammo is terribly desirable - likewise with repair packs. Sure, you CAN set up a quality outpost that's just that much more durable and resistant to assaults, or you could spend the extra materials you'd otherwise have to simply build more defenses/walls and use your quality intermediates on things that will last. Quality turrets? Sure, being able to outrange spitters and chip away at hordes that much sooner reduces incoming damage and thus expense on the walls.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The announcement of the sequel game spurned me on to finish the last project I never completed, building a 1 rocket per minute base.

It's the first time I've played vanilla in years probably, and it is a crime against war that artillery shells don't stack. Yeesh.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Feels like SpaceEx is missing a tanker rocket (gently caress barreling and unbarreling, I would learn to do the rocket logic circuits I previously refused to learn if I could use it to avoid that step) and some way to beam electricity directly between surfaces like the Microwave power plant in SimCity 2000.

Maybe require X number of recolored satellite launches to compensate for notional occlusion, too, something to do with the basic launch silo once you're done mapping the system would be nice.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Feels like SpaceEx is missing (...) some way to beam electricity directly between surfaces like the Microwave power plant in SimCity 2000.

This exists, it's the Beam Emitter/Receiver buried in tier 3 space sciences. The emitter sucks up a huge amount of power and transmits it to another surface where it heats up a receiver like a nuclear reactor, and then you plug heat converters & turbines into it. It's most useful when you set up a giant solar farm around the sun. It's a good way to permanently solve outpost power problems, but you can also power spaceships with it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Darox posted:

This exists, it's the Beam Emitter/Receiver buried in tier 3 space sciences. The emitter sucks up a huge amount of power and transmits it to another surface where it heats up a receiver like a nuclear reactor, and then you plug heat converters & turbines into it. It's most useful when you set up a giant solar farm around the sun. It's a good way to permanently solve outpost power problems, but you can also power spaceships with it.

Ok, that's definitely rad but I'm going to echo everyone else who has posted about SpaceEx in saying it's Too Many Science Packs, poo poo like that needs to be available sooner rather than later.

And, for fluids, maybe a Renai Transportation compatibility patch mod which allows you to park a train in a giant railgun and then fire it onto a space railroad?! It could be the intermediate between "another cluster of delivery cannons, hooray" and the space elevator. Got to assume the space elevator would be more energy efficient.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Renai space elevator that acts like a giant impact unloader, spewing the train's contents out of the exit tunnels.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ammo is probably the one place I can see the "put one quality module and skim off anything above common" approach working. Shovel lowgrade common ammo onto your turrets, keep the higher tier stuff for the players.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

New FFF is all about rails, but there's this hidden in the middle:

quote:

Speaking of which, the bigger curve radius means that with 4 tiles in between directions, now the minimal convenient blueprint module size is 32x32 tiles.
We have increased the big electric pole range to 32 to go along with this.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Those new diagonal angles are gonna make for great stacker designs.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

My current factory is a wide ribbon world (about 25 chunks tall) and I’m in the middle of a transition from my glorious spaghetti starter base and building out rails to new lands.

I had decided I would polish up the mess that is my blueprint library and try to make it all myself. I will not look forward to rewriting my rail collection but these changes are an improvement. I was momentarily surprised at the seamless way they’re handling compatibility, (full, just cannot place new old rails) but on reflection that is both the WUBE way and really the only way they could do it, given the game.

Also, if they’re willing to make changes that potentially break compatibility going forward past 1.1, I expect things may get interesting. Looking forward to it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tamba posted:

This is really cool because chunks are also 32x32. Will be a nice convenience thing for megabase builders.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

K8.0 posted:

This is really cool because chunks are also 32x32. Will be a nice convenience thing for megabase builders.

Yeah having the long poles reach a full chunk rules. For modded plays I usually reached for a mod to do this .

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I had decided I would polish up the mess that is my blueprint library and try to make it all myself. I will not look forward to rewriting my rail collection but these changes are an improvement. I was momentarily surprised at the seamless way they’re handling compatibility, (full, just cannot place new old rails) but on reflection that is both the WUBE way and really the only way they could do it, given the game.

I'm actually looking forward to using this as an excuse to fix the few prints in my book that I wasn't completely happy with, optimize a few others, and just clean things up in general.

I had designed my block system around 128x128 anyway, but had to add extra poles to get a tiling pattern that was rotationally agnostic, so that also helps.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tamba posted:

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Teledahn posted:

Also, if they’re willing to make changes that potentially break compatibility going forward past 1.1, I expect things may get interesting. Looking forward to it.

I thought they said the expansion will be toggled like any other mod, in which case you opt in per save

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Its a Rolex posted:

I thought they said the expansion will be toggled like any other mod, in which case you opt in per save

The expansion you can opt in or out of, but the new rails are a base game upgrade.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Its a Rolex posted:

At the end they say

quote:

The new rails are coming as a free update to Factorio 2.0 even without Space Age.
So it sounds like there's going to be a few changes to base game, presumably the engine changes will all be part of the free update so there's not some nightmare support scenario of different users having different versions.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The expansion is actually a set of mods, not just one. For example, you could play with the quality mod disabled if you wanted to. Also, engine updates that are new features will only be available if you own the expansion. Updates to core game features are for everyone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My basest train horniness is loving the update but there's a lurking thought in the back of my head about how tile placement of train tracks is already too fiddly of a union of gameplay, UI, and making what I want to do happen without thinking hard about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

K8.0 posted:

Also, engine updates that are new features will only be available if you own the expansion. Updates to core game features are for everyone.

That doesn't track. Engine upgrades should be universal, expansion or no, its just the expansion data itself that is packaged behind the DLC paywall.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They've explicitly said that's how it works. For example, the item quality functionality does not exist in the base executable, only the expansion executable.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
That's not how the rails change is going to work though. It'll be in the base game even without the expansion.

e: though I scrolled up a little and you might've also said that so maybe I misread lol

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
This whole thing has brought up something I've wondered for a while. What do you for sending rail extremely long distances to far off outposts and want to ensure biters don't encroach and interrupt traffic?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

the tingler posted:

This whole thing has brought up something I've wondered for a while. What do you for sending rail extremely long distances to far off outposts and want to ensure biters don't encroach and interrupt traffic?

Nothing, usually - biters will usually ignore rails because they don't produce pollution, block their pathing or attack them. That doesn't mean they're totally safe, if something stops them moving or otherwise gets them in Fight Mode near a rail line they'll start chewing it apart, but if that happens regularly you can just fortify the area that's happening in (and/or wipe out nearby bases).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Radar counts as a military building, so don't have those in the middle of your rails.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Usually what happens is a wandering group tries to path through a power pole if they're part of your rail blueprint.

I'm a fan of self contained outposts so that's less of a worry. Whether that's via solar, trained in <coal/fuel/nuclear cells> or trained in steam is up to you and that's the fun!

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
That makes sense. Thank yall

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like maps with lots of lakes because the choke points make it easier to have your perimeter cover even a far away outpost

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

K8.0 posted:

They've explicitly said that's how it works. For example, the item quality functionality does not exist in the base executable, only the expansion executable.

You won't have access to quality modules without the expansion. The underlying changes that allow quality modules will still be in the base engine. They're not going to fork their whole engine into DLC/NoDLC version controls when everything worth money will be in the DLC data pack.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

kovarex has said otherwise. Features exclusive to the expansion are not available when you don't have the expansion. Mods using expansion features will have to flag what they want in the info.json.

They don't need to do a fork, compiling two versions with different features from the same codebase is normal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm almost certain the only difference between the two will be a "hasSpaceAgeExpansion" flag that enables mods to use expansion-only Lua functions.

Edit: reading that link, the most obvious way to implement it would be to have different features in "packages" that the mod imports and if you don't own the expansion, mods can't import those packages.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 23, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I suppose that's done because otherwise it would be trivial for mods to enable the expansion only mechanics huh.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I would be shocked if the rails change was not in the base game because otherwise its going to make rail blueprints nearly useless.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

For those who want to get started updating their blueprints:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/longer-poles

Mod for big electric poles to 32 tile reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Train bridges

https://cdn.factorio.com/assets/blog-sync/fff-378-junction-hell.mp4

KillHour posted:

Edit: reading that link, the most obvious way to implement it would be to have different features in "packages" that the mod imports and if you don't own the expansion, mods can't import those packages.

quote:

All of the elevated rails will be only available with the expansion executable. Their technology can be researched using Production science packs without the need to go to space or any planets. Elevated rails be will one of the standalone official mods next to Quality and Space Age, so you can play a vanilla-like game with just the elevated rails for example, or other mods can just depend on Elevated rails.