Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Bimmi posted:

Hope y’all are ready for another HG RX-78-2:

I'm the kind of mark who buys the dubai version because it's technically a different mold so... yeah, I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Humidity here is going to be 45ish % which is the lowest it's been in months should I be good to prime some stuff for painting or is that still too high?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dreqqus posted:

Humidity here is going to be 45ish % which is the lowest it's been in months should I be good to prime some stuff for painting or is that still too high?

My rule of thumb is 60% or below and you're good to go.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

As someone that deals with high humidity during the summer you can prime/spray stuff above 60% but you’ve got to get a feel for it and let it cure longer IME.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thanks gang!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/1704994781590610307

Another P-Bandai we're so hard Dunbine.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ready for my first five p-bandai orders to land in two months, my chi is strong

gonna do the last bit of spraying and construction for the psycho zaku this weekend

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Wasn’t expecting this at all, but I’m there for it. Drumlo and Virunvee too, plz.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/momo_62367/status/1705235427458949156

this person has been scratch-building this all month.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So it's been a poo poo week for me, and some of my family came to town to help deal with some poo poo. We wound up going out to Don Quijote in honolulu.

The display of limited edition sets were neat, they had a bunch of one piece and digimon kits too.

IDK if these are still hard to find anywhere else but there was like, a literal wall of the GWitch gundams. Shwarzette was off to the left.

Pictured here in lovely bad lighting vision is a gift I was given. I like the devil gundam and while clear kits aren't typically something I do, it looked cool in the display. Though I think it's just a reprint of the old kit in different colours?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I finally finished my Gustav Karl tonight, a month after Backlogust. It's... fine. Least favorite kit I've worked on so far. It has some seriously weird gate choices, especially on the thighs, that will leave you with horrible stress marks if you don't painstakingly sand and polish the thick gates down. Others are hidden by some clever recessing, but the kit is just noticeably lower quality than more recent offerings. Oh, and the waist joint is rough as well. Compared to the more recent Messer, it's a disappointment.

The good news is my Hi-Nu Fin Funnel and Bazooka kits are here, so I no longer have any excuse to let the RG Hi-Nu sit unbuilt any longer.

edit: For some reason I thought the Karl was older than it actually is. The fact that it's a 2019 kit just makes the 1-2mm gates in exposed places all the stranger to me.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/30mfantasy/status/1705540005656195575?t=ViKjVuqD_goEpQICq08N1Q&s=19

New 30 Minutes line focusing on fantasy type model kits.
The artwork here looks like the WFM Grassley suits if they went even further with the knight aesthetic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/30mfantasy/status/1705540005656195575?t=ViKjVuqD_goEpQICq08N1Q&s=19

New 30 Minutes line focusing on fantasy type model kits.
The artwork here looks like the WFM Grassley suits if they went even further with the knight aesthetic.

We're getting HORSE MECHS! I might actually get one for my Spinatio Knight..

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1705531462550962230

...Do I dare add even more engines to my over-boosted 30MM monstrosity...:shepface:

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1705530205883044253

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What even are those 30 minute missions things?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

They're just fun little kits you can put together in 30 minutes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also encourage kitbashing, since they all have a universal joint system, and there are multiple different kits to accessorize.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

They're HG-quality (and sized) gunpla kits with a shitload of accessory slots, and various weapon and part packs available to make your own neat robots.

They're a terrible creative addiction too, stay away or you'll join us down a deep dark rabbit hole of customization... :shepface:

edit: Here's one of mine from a little while back;

There's a Spinatio Knight under there. Only with the arm-mounting backpack from the Revanova, the arm-mounting joints from the dog Exa-mech (Which suck, incidentally), arms from a Spinatio Ninja I turned into a dragon, and more arms from a Cielnova that got a new set of arms itself from the Big Arms/Cannon set.

And weapons from random sets I had leftover from other builds. :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also the egg boys.

I quite like the 30mm stuff. The builds are solid, the piece designs are really nice. All seams are hidden with panel lines, theres several different aesthetic groups that work well together.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So it's been a poo poo week for me, and some of my family came to town to help deal with some poo poo. We wound up going out to Don Quijote in honolulu.

drat, I've been to Honolulu twice this year on work trips and didn't know this existed. It looks cool. This is what I get for traveling with jocks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I have a few 30MM kits on hand, but I want to get a few more add-ons and a new can of primer before I start them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Makes me wonder if there's any other melee weapon handles the chainsaw blade can attach to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Makes me wonder if there's any other melee weapon handles the chainsaw blade can attach to.

It uses the same rectangular tab connector as the 30MM gun bsrrels do, if that helps.

BisbyWorl posted:

I have a few 30MM kits on hand, but I want to get a few more add-ons and a new can of primer before I start them.

:sickos:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Actually, now that I think about it, will primer go on fine once winter rolls in and the temps drop, or will I have to wait till spring if I keep them in my backlog for that long?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BisbyWorl posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, will primer go on fine once winter rolls in and the temps drop, or will I have to wait till spring if I keep them in my backlog for that long?

It can be too cold to prime outside, I live in Houston so I don’t have enough experience with cold to have a good idea of where that line is. But you can get around that by just opening the door and priming in the open doorway aiming your spray outside. As long as it’s not like, insanely cold of course.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I have primed from a spray can in ~40F weather without problems at least for warhammer stuff. The key is to get the can warm by running it under warm water, shake it warm, and keep it warm with short bursts of outside time. You also have to let the models cure indoors. This is a pretty specific and smelly use case but the results weren't perceivably different from my normal priming for me. Not sure if you can push this below freezing, but maybe?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ramie posted:

https://twitter.com/momo_62367/status/1705235427458949156

this person has been scratch-building this all month.

:eyepop:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're HG-quality (and sized) gunpla kits with a shitload of accessory slots, and various weapon and part packs available to make your own neat robots.

They're a terrible creative addiction too, stay away or you'll join us down a deep dark rabbit hole of customization... :shepface:

edit: Here's one of mine from a little while back;

There's a Spinatio Knight under there. Only with the arm-mounting backpack from the Revanova, the arm-mounting joints from the dog Exa-mech (Which suck, incidentally), arms from a Spinatio Ninja I turned into a dragon, and more arms from a Cielnova that got a new set of arms itself from the Big Arms/Cannon set.

And weapons from random sets I had leftover from other builds. :shepface:

If I wasn't still chasing my gundam dreams and also poor as gently caress I'd probably jump right on that, I thought it was just some new mobile game I was missing.

Deeters posted:

drat, I've been to Honolulu twice this year on work trips and didn't know this existed. It looks cool. This is what I get for traveling with jocks.

It's just kind of sitting there like five minutes away from ala moana and the store its self has a weird like, grimy k-mart vibe. If I had any spendable money on me I'd have bought so many gundams though. I wanted the RG Gao Gai Gar so bad but it was 87 dollars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barnes and Noble has some really good Gundam merch now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nyandam-we-are-earth-federation-forces-mobile-suit-gundam-megahouse/1142633914

Check your store here

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's time for more poo poo photos.

My guess was right this is the '95. It was actually a pretty nostalgic build because I guess a lot of the kits I used to make before getting back into this poo poo recently were of that era because it was real familiar in terms of general design trends and such. The polycaps were all so tiny, and there were like zero extra parts, not even any spare polycaps aside from the one used for mounting on stands.

This image really doesn't do it justice - but I just have to say I really like the colours this thing was made in! The red is a nice like, candy red and the yellow/orange bits are basically the exact shade you'd see like construction lights or reflectors made out of; it's great. The white, too, has an almost pearly sheen to it and is more milky rather than clear, while the black is more of a super dark purple than the weird foggy brown a lot of translucent black plastics tend to be. My photos are garbage but I actually like it a lot.

The kit is the kit, however. I really like the arms, the feet are super stable. The chest is actually pretty cool too. But then the rest of the torso is just what the gently caress. I feel like if they really cared to, they could fix up everything between the legs and the chest and it'd be a pretty nice thing to have. Also the transformation is a bit of a joke, you have to take its spine off, replace it with a longer spine, then you just bend the knees and stick a faceguard on the crotch face.

Still though, much like the psycho gundam before it: I do love mobile armours and especially the devil gundam so I can't say I'm disappointed by it. Especially since family gave it to me.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
I keep forgetting to post my reward kit from Backlogust 2023. I went with the HGBD Grimoire Red Beret and I love the goofy looking thing.

It's one part scopedog, one part sherman tank, one part Reconquista in G grunt unit, and has a ton of stuff going on.

The shins are actually blades and the feet are heelys, the little drone things are extra heads and have plasma knives, the gun breaks up into pieces like a 30MM weapon or something.

It also has a backpack for the drones! I keep them out though, to help out with their knifes.

The Build Fighters series designs are a bit hit or miss for me, but I love this one a ton. Thanks again to grassy gnoll for running the contest and shipping out the kit!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh boy thats a nice one :3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tergaso posted:

I keep forgetting to post my reward kit from Backlogust 2023. I went with the HGBD Grimoire Red Beret and I love the goofy looking thing.

It's one part scopedog, one part sherman tank, one part Reconquista in G grunt unit, and has a ton of stuff going on.

The shins are actually blades and the feet are heelys, the little drone things are extra heads and have plasma knives, the gun breaks up into pieces like a 30MM weapon or something.

It also has a backpack for the drones! I keep them out though, to help out with their knifes.

The Build Fighters series designs are a bit hit or miss for me, but I love this one a ton. Thanks again to grassy gnoll for running the contest and shipping out the kit!

See if you can hunt down the HGBD helipack. It mounts right on top of the backpack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/IAloveEB06S/status/1706254743717491069?t=S6IcglZt-xQmfc2GDQWdHA&s=19

621 got themselves a Pharact on Rubicon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tergaso posted:

Oh yeah, I should assemble my reward too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's not 621, Buddy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not 621, Buddy.

Last I checked Rusty didn't use a pile bunker or a triple laser cannon.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

phew, finally donezo

be lying if it was anywhere perfect - a fair amount of damage in the nightmarish final assembly/mounting. had to crazy glue those legs in to get em to stay put, which they appear to do admirably. it sits on the base.....unstably to put it mildly - the whole thing sways ominously with even the slightest jostling despite verifying everything's in there securely, and it came crashing down a couple times during the final assembly, usually resulting in a scratch or lost decal. I don't know how tf I'm gonna move it from its current spot safely.

that said it's huge, and impressive af to look at. it was also a hell of a learning experience in terms of improving my technique and equipment. I'm overall p pleased but also very much looking forward to working on something simpler for awhile

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BisbyWorl posted:

I struggled with this *a lot* living in New England apartments and my best advice is be mindful of humidity. Low temperatures aren't a huge problem as long as you're below 30-50% humidity. You can get the dreaded frosting effect on a 90 degree day if it's muggy.

For rattle cans I prefer 55+ F degrees and <50% humidity. On cold dry days I'll rattlecan topcoat outside, sprint back inside, and put the piece near a fan in a warm dehumidified room and very rarely get issues. I've done this on 35 F degree days without frosting.

Airbrushing in cold temperatures has been more finicky for me and I've had too many incidents of cracked paint and frosting to push the envelope. These days I only airbrush on 65+ F degree days when it's not raining.

Some online people suggest using a hair dryer to smooth out the frosting effect. Do NOT do this! I've melted kits this way. Warm, moving air does help water droplets under the paint evaporate, thus preventing frosting, and speeds up paint curing. There are even professional booths you can buy for this. But hair dryers are way too powerful and focused. I prefer to set up a space heater on fan mode a few feet away. Even that's going overboard honestly, I'm just really paranoid about frosting since I live in a cold, wet area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Buck Wildman posted:

phew, finally donezo

Hell yeah, good job on getting it done :allears:

Are the cables and joints just molded to look like fabric or are they actually soft parts?