Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t think I’ve ever even bothered to use the Wraith in this mission I just made Vikings instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Some dude at the research site found out about Emperor Mengsk's hentai stash and this was the only way Arcturus could think of solving his problem.

"Your Highness wtf is a 'futalisk'"

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Fajita Queen posted:

I believe you guys are thinking about it far more than the writers intended, or likely even thought about it themselves

This is the objectively correct answer to any questions about SC2's plot, but we're nerds and speculating is fun.

There you go, Bisby, the thread finally let you have something to build at your starports.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Ah my beloved Wraith. Kinda garbage even in SC1, but I treasured it anyway. Cloaking, flying, able to hit both air and ground...it was perfect for a kid who just wanted to mass units and not think too hard. Well, them and Marines and Battlecruisers, but the cloak adds a distinct flavor. It's also why I have a very healthy respect for Missile Turrets and Spore Colonies to this day. The mission on Antiga that introduces them was always one of my favorites, because you've got cloaking Kerrigan (though no nukes yet) in addition to the cloaking wraiths, and there's no Missile Turret (or maybe just one?) protecting the enemy expansion base. It's just delightful fun to bully the poo poo out of the AI and they can't do a drat thing about it. :allears:

Redeye Flight posted:

Ahh, the good ol' Wraith.

The Wraith's absence from multiplayer is perhaps the strangest exception. I understand basically why it's not part of the core Terran kit -- the Viking and the as-yet-not-really-met Banshee fill out the Terrans' air kit and are both more powerful at their respective roles than the Wraith. However, the Wraith can do it all and make breakfast, forming a nice middle ground -- and it's the Wraith, after all.

Definitely worth rolling with in the campaign, in my opinion. The only real flaw is that it comes so far in -- Engine of Destruction is deep into the overall campaign and you can pick up the Viking much earlier, as evidenced by how long it's been taking us to get back to Hanson regarding Haven. But I have a soft spot for the classics.

You sons of bitches, Blizzard. Make it obsolete all you want, but at least give us the option to be subpar! :rant:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fun Fact: Most Hero Units get special Unit Ranks. Tychus's is "Scoundrel".

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 16

Yeah, well — that was until I went to prison... and you went legit.

Right.

>Watch news.

This line only stays on screen for a split second before Warfield cuts him off.

It's true, Kate. The Odin was delayed in shipping, and we briefly lost communication with the production facility. But it arrived safely, so we can go ahead with the unveiling.

>Talk to Tosh.

Very good. You think clearly despite your hate for him. 'Course his patience has got limits too. Tread careful, Mr. Raynor. Someone on this ship is already working for Mengsk. I can feel it.

And the game is very pointedly reminding us that Tychus is a mole right before we go down to Korhal.

>Talk to Tychus.

You'll get your chance soon enough, ol' buddy. Don't you worry.

>Talk to Swann.

And here I was thinking you could build anything, Swann.

Cute. Alright - forget the scale! I'm gonna figure it out, don't you worry. An' I'll come up with something a drat sight more practical than that show piece. You see if I don't!

>Use Armory Console.

The Wraith upgrades consist of an increase to starting energy, and the ability to dodge 20% of attacks while cloaked for 125K.

Both upgrades are bad and I won't be getting them.

>Talk to Horner.

Seriously Sir — his suit contains a sophisticated transponder... if it receives the correct code, it'll shut down all his major organs. That suit is a death trap.

He's got a gun to his head.

And who's got their finger on the trigger? Moebius?

Tychus, what have you gotten yourself into?

Since Tosh's chat is technically optional, considering he might not be on the Hyperion at this point for one reason or another, Jimmy will never be able to put the clues together until the dramatic reveal.

So we could go do other things.

Or we could send Mengsk's mole to rampage around Mengsk's backyard.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2023

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm actually voting for Haven at this point. Avoiding the Odin's debut is, I'd argue, an almost even funnier inexplicable delay. We've also finally gotten the Wraith, so now we can go see what SC2 has brought up to replace it in its role.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I love the implication that the Odin is so massively overdesigned that they even put a fully functional "Flushable" toilet in there, which mean the Odin has a full septic system as well. No wonder the dominion is using salvaged confederate prototype tanks, they blow most of there money on giant cash sinks like the Odin, the Loki, and a few other "SUPER" weapons we'll see later on.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I feel like we really have to leave Haven for last at this point. We've gone this far, and it's only a little bit further...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To be fair, it's not like Diamondbacks don't work, they just aren't part of the standard Terran arsenal.

Also I think it's kind of hosed up that you deliberately let Tychus nuke like twenty Wraiths.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

stryth posted:

I love the implication that the Odin is so massively overdesigned that they even put a fully functional "Flushable" toilet in there, which mean the Odin has a full septic system as well. No wonder the dominion is using salvaged confederate prototype tanks, they blow most of there money on giant cash sinks like the Odin, the Loki, and a few other "SUPER" weapons we'll see later on.

Honestly that's one thing that actually makes sense. I'm sure that in the far future they can miniaturize things like that significantly, and having a way for the pilots to be comfortable means they can operate the Odin for days at a time without getting as worn out. That's probably a good idea if you're going to have a self-contained weapons platform.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kith posted:

Also I think it's kind of hosed up that you deliberately let Tychus nuke like twenty Wraiths.

It's called making a statement. :colbert:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Poor Wraiths. I wish you were good. I really do. :cry:

"Y'all know who the best starfighter in the fleet is? Yours truly."

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Now if only Wraiths could have gotten a perma-cloak upgrade like Ghosts/Spectres.

Also I'm guessing that upgrading vehicle plating during the mission doesn't make the Odin tankier because it's a neutral unit?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The odin mission's pretty fun, weird plot holes aside. Actually, the one thing that does make sense there is the Odin itself. Militaristic authoritarians love their giant, impractical superweapons. That it's full of completely impractical parts is entirely sensical if you keep in mind that it's probably supposed to be a showpiece, never made for mass production. Instead, when you make something like this, it's to show off new, experimental technology and to push the limits of what you have. What's actually interesting is that it scales down into something legitimately useable, with, presumably, no flushing toilets onboard.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I was tempted to vote for Haven but what do you say?

More giants robots??!

Hell yeah!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

You'd think the reveal of Tychus' kill-switch would prompt Raynor to do something, but since the mission is technically optional everyone will ignore it completely going forward.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

You'd think the reveal of Tychus' kill-switch would prompt Raynor to do something, but since the mission is technically optional everyone will ignore it completely going forward.
Another part of the problem is that all these on-ship cutscenes are basically independent vignette discussions. If they were actual cutscenes which showed in sequence, you could very easily have the Matt/Raynor chat, then a follow-up Tychus/Raynor chat where Tychus waves it away with "yeah, that's how Mobius keeps me in line, but you know me Jimmy ol buddy, I already got a plan to break their deal, <vague reference to past capers/crimes done together>." Then Jimmy just sort of vaguely says how he's not sure about this and then Raynor just sort of lets the matter drop as long as Tychus continues to work against Mengsk.

But instead with the way the game chose to handle between-mission discussions, any of those Raynor/Tychus chats about the kill switch happen totally off-screen.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
You'll think that the kill switch means Tychus is being monitored, so his handlers will know when to flip it. Considering that no order to give the odin an extra inspection was given, apparently not.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Odin is absolutely a showpiece superweapon. Mengsk is obsessed with showing off "the might of the Dominion", so he commissioned a big stupid waste of resources to show everyone how strong and cool his clubhouse is.

It's actually pretty funny how true-to-life this bit is where the dictator is ignoring the massive problems hanging over his his government and instead investing heavily on shows of force and posturing to keep his people in line.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
In a shocking plot twist, the Odin is actually pretty drat good :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do find it amusing that none of the Dominion co-op commanders, including Mengsk himself, get the Odin.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
We got the large mech, now we need the small, transforming mechs

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

I do find it amusing that none of the Dominion co-op commanders, including Mengsk himself, get the Odin.

Well yeah, it got stolen.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tychus swiped both the Odin and the laser from the siege tank mission and carried them to Heroes of the Storm as his ultimates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of my old wish list things for SC2, before Blizzard abandoned it, was backporting co-op stuff to single player.

Mengsk in co-op legit had a fun and pretty unique play style. One of his iconic things was that his troopers just had a submachine gun, and Mengsk could buy improved weapons for the troopers. Which are then dropped when the trooper dies, so the next man in the wave can pick up the gun.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Oh, absolutely. I really liked Mengsk as a co-op commander. Absolutely a ruthless playstyle where casualties are acceptable as long as you protect your elites.

It would have been VERY neat if they made those commanders with powers and so on go with the single player campaigns. At least a little.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

One of my old wish list things for SC2, before Blizzard abandoned it, was backporting co-op stuff to single player.

Mengsk in co-op legit had a fun and pretty unique play style. One of his iconic things was that his troopers just had a submachine gun, and Mengsk could buy improved weapons for the troopers. Which are then dropped when the trooper dies, so the next man in the wave can pick up the gun.

There are a number of campaign mods popping up that are pretty cool. One of them that's in testing and will release a bit later is basically playing as Co-op Stetmann's Mecha-Zerg instead of regular Zerg for Heart of the Swarm.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This mission and the next two in the sequence are a lot of fun. Odin rules.

Also I've heard rumors that starcraft 3 is all-but-confirmed to be being developed currently, which confuses the hell out of me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fajita Queen posted:

This mission and the next two in the sequence are a lot of fun. Odin rules.

Also I've heard rumors that starcraft 3 is all-but-confirmed to be being developed currently, which confuses the hell out of me.

Starcraft 3: Jimmy Starcraft touches the evil space rock and becomes the evil corrupted space man, can the uncorrupted spacemen save Jimmy Starcraft in time? Also, we retconned it so the Zerg were an ancient race of philosopher kings, spending their time in meditation, prior to the Xel'Naga interference, Kerrigan goes on a vision quest to learn more about them. Zeratul sorts his dead toenail collection, finds one of them missing, swears epic vengeance and tells everyone the world is about to end. Turns out he's just gotten into the moonshine again.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Starcraft 3: Jimmy Starcraft touches the evil space rock and becomes the evil corrupted space man, can the uncorrupted spacemen save Jimmy Starcraft in time? Also, we retconned it so the Zerg were an ancient race of philosopher kings, spending their time in meditation, prior to the Xel'Naga interference, Kerrigan goes on a vision quest to learn more about them. Zeratul sorts his dead toenail collection, finds one of them missing, swears epic vengeance and tells everyone the world is about to end. Turns out he's just gotten into the moonshine again.

But enough about Warcraft.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PurpleXVI posted:

Starcraft: Repercussions of Evil

No, Jim. You are the zerg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, just yesterday I had a group of friends who played a Lancer one-shot session that used an adaptation of the SC2 train mission.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Supposedly a journalist very plugged in ActiBlizz confirmed on Twitter that Starcraft 3 was in development a couple months ago, but deleted the tweets shortly thereafter. The general consensus seems to be that SC3 will get announced at BlizzCon in November.

Blizzard delivered two major games this year, Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2, the current iterations of WoW and Hearthstone keep chugging along in their current forms, so a new Starcraft seems to be their only real option to continue an existing series. And in terms of development time, the gap between Brood War (1999) and Starcraft 2 (2010) was 12 years. Legacy of the Void is now 8 years old, so if you assume they're early in development and a couple years away, it seems pretty reasonable to think they're moving on SC3. The only real confusion is the usual "god I'm fuckin old, how is that eight years ago" sense of time.

Who the gently caress knows about the story though. SC2 veers far enough from the 'expected' track from the end of BW that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC3 take a hard pivot from the ending of Legacy of the Void.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would vainly hope that with Starcraft 2's story being pretty conclusive toward all the things that made that story suck, a hypothetical sequel could be written much better with a clean slate. But I'm really not sure I trust Blizzard to be able to do that.

And that's itself assuming Blizzard manages to clean house enough to be worth spending money on by the time it releases. That's a lot of planets to align before it even might be worth buying.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MagusofStars posted:

Who the gently caress knows about the story though. SC2 veers far enough from the 'expected' track from the end of BW that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC3 take a hard pivot from the ending of Legacy of the Void.

Not gonna lie, I hope we get to invade/save Earth or something.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The return of the UED, corrupted by another evil Xel'naga who was hiding from all the others.

That, or it's now a RPG based off of the tabletop rules

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Starcraft with a Dawn of War: Dark Crusade style strategic map would be pretty amazing tbh. Just trying to Manifest this idea into the universe

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Given the totality of the circumstances around SC2’s finale, I wouldn’t be surprised if a hypothetical SC3 is a prequel, a distant enough sequel that it’s effectively a new story, or even a straight up reboot of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

GunnerJ posted:

Starcraft with a Dawn of War: Dark Crusade style strategic map would be pretty amazing tbh. Just trying to Manifest this idea into the universe

Having just recently replayed Rise of Legends which also had a Risk map for the campaign, gods yes. I still like RoL but it's slow and very... flawed. And I can only play Dark Crusade so many times. I need more Risk map RTSes that aren't DoW: Soulstorm.