Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

A bike that holds the throttle open after you've shut it seems like more of a KTM idea

My dad has an old Rokon Trailbreaker that did this because the throttle would stick before he started restoring it. As a kid I rode it directly into a fence when it happened. It probably would have crawled up the fence and flipped over on me if part of the driveshaft for the front wasn't broken at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alright, own up. Which one of you...

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Is that one of those cartoons that is popular with grown men because it sexualizes extremely young girls?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Those stickers probably started out with normal color pallets but faded rapidly to blue in the sun, and the owner actually hates it but doesn't want to eat crow.

Not that it was me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Lanternfly posted:

Is that one of those cartoons that is popular with grown men because it sexualizes extremely young girls?

Big vocaloid fan, it appears. Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Lanternfly posted:

there are no girls involved with anything that has to do with that motorcycle, I assure you

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Cartaret that was flawless.

So the tire says Hatsune Miku and I thought for a second it said Mikuni like my carburetor.

That must be the vocaloid thing. Learning a lot today

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shuka posted:

Cartaret that was flawless.

So the tire says Hatsune Miku and I thought for a second it said Mikuni like my carburetor.

That must be the vocaloid thing. Learning a lot today

You were so close, but im putting it in the thread title anyway lmao

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Hatsune Mikuni aside, is that the Speed Twin? It looks sharp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The engine case says Bonneville, so I'm guessing its some model of that, unless the Speed Twin is a Bonneville, in which case, ignore me

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

Hatsune Mikuni aside, is that the Speed Twin? It looks sharp.

Bonneville Bobber.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Looks pretty much stock.

Minus the stickers, I mean.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
that's the 2024 triumph factory custom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You were so close, but im putting it in the thread title anyway lmao
Lol perfect. 4 stroke vocaloid tuning

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
wtf is vocaloid, google pulls up a yamaha singing synthesizer and I'm not polluting my search suggestions w/ a bunch of weeb poo poo by digging any deeper

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mikuni isn't limited to 4-stroke either. Their SBN series carb has been used by OEMs and modders in jetskis since the 70s.
Keihin just isn't the same

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

wtf is vocaloid, google pulls up a yamaha singing synthesizer and I'm not polluting my search suggestions w/ a bunch of weeb poo poo by digging any deeper

That's exactly what it is, but there are some prepackaged voices and so of course the companies made cartoon characters to go along with the voices and here you are. Miku is the most popular but there are many others and a bunch of vocaloid voice packs that don't have associated characters at all.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Hey thanks for that, I was also stuck on the Yamaha voice synth thing.

You better not say 4 stroke vocaloid tuning in front of the mirror 3 times Mr Knight

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh no I learned my lesson after the whole 🪲🧃incident

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

I know what I saw. Try it on your auto Goldwing and report back

Over the course of a few rides this week, just to humor you, I took my hand off the right grip entirely to see what happened in both left and right hand turns at speeds varying from putzing around the neighborhood to freeway on- and off-ramps and long sweepers. Exactly zero times did the bike keep the throttle open until it was through the turn and traveling straight. As soon as I let go of the throttle, it closed just like you'd expect it to.

Honda has filed patents for a self-balancing Gold Wing that might be capable of this but they haven't made one yet. AFAIK the current generation Gold Wing doesn't even have an IMU. Either the bike you test drove was broken in some fashion, you had the cruise set, or you were imagining things.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Over the course of a few rides this week, just to humor you, I took my hand off the right grip entirely to see what happened in both left and right hand turns at speeds varying from putzing around the neighborhood to freeway on- and off-ramps and long sweepers. Exactly zero times did the bike keep the throttle open until it was through the turn and traveling straight. As soon as I let go of the throttle, it closed just like you'd expect it to.

Honda has filed patents for a self-balancing Gold Wing that might be capable of this but they haven't made one yet. AFAIK the current generation Gold Wing doesn't even have an IMU. Either the bike you test drove was broken in some fashion, you had the cruise set, or you were imagining things.

I appreciate you trying. Is yours a manual or automatic? The one I rode was 2018 dsg, if that matters

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

I appreciate you trying. Is yours a manual or automatic? The one I rode was 2018 dsg, if that matters

it is a 2021 with the DCT

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

96 Goldwing vs 23 Harley CVO

https://youtu.be/Up-uCB3bZbc

Don't expect Donut to be a perfectly scientific comparison

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unsurprisingly, the Goldwing remains undefeated

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
lol. The price is awful but I don’t totally hate it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't bring myself to loathe that even though it's everything I hate on paper

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

As I sold it.

As I spotted it again 6 months later.
So.. people with different priorities. stock seat and solo cover is more important than the much better comfort seat. But the huge tank bag and tank cover(I sold it with that, I never used the tank bag) vs a proper luggage rack and givi box?

And it’s been dropped, scratches on the carbon drop covers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I will never comprehend tank bags

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They are the bike version of car bras. Absolutely hideous and boomers eat them up.

e: I was talking about the covers but the giant tank bags are p. doofy looking too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tank bags are super convenient for trips.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If your tank is metal you want the cover if you ever ride at length at sub 10c. You grip the tank for active riding directly transferring cold into your main thigh arteries.

This is a unicorn scenario I personally have experienced a lot of times but I’m a silly Norwegian riding bikes on studs in blizzards sitting on reindeer fur in snowmobile gear.

My view on what is normal regarding motorcycles is skewed.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I love my dorky rear end tank bag. I don't have poo poo for underseat storage due to the undertail exhaust, so that holds sunglasses, insurance/registration papers, will expand out to hold a pair of gloves or two 20oz bottles, garage opener for work parking lot gate, li-ion powered air pump and patch kit when touring, an extra neck gaiter or two, and a spare strap or two for the soft luggage I carry.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Chris Knight posted:

Tank bags are super convenient for trips.

This, and the following comments.

I have a small magnetic one that fits very comfortably with no obstruction on my R1M, and it's out of the wind. Sticks firmly to the tank, even with most of it not being ferrous.

People who don't get it, well, just don't get it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I guess if you have a big touring bike a tankbag is unnecessary, but they're great on normal bikes. Really handy for paying tolls as well.

I used to quite like leaning on mine on my '99 CBR

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a little tank bag that’s pretty convenient extra storage for when I need something small from the store and don’t want to wear a backpack or put on the saddlebags. That being said it’s been magnetized to the fridge for the past couple months.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

It's probably heaven on a sportbike, because otherwise, you're always hunched over on your truss-arms. (Even though, theoretically, you should be holding up your body with your legs)

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

knox_harrington posted:

I guess if you have a big touring bike a tankbag is unnecessary, but they're great on normal bikes. Really handy for paying tolls as well.

Still nice on big sport touring bikes - it's right in front of you, and you can get ones that convert to backpacks so you can just remove it off the bike and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I bought this little one for my Buell because of the water bladder, and a normal backpack feels uncomfortable with my aerostich. It converts to a fanny pack if I'm not feeling dorky enough already.