Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Smooth as butter.

https://i.imgur.com/l1bXhZQ.mp4

McGavin posted:

Stay 445m away from the enemy. If you are closer than 445m, keep two bushes between you and the enemy at all times.

I gotta say, if the Jagdtiger has to be played like a much slower, less concealable, less hard hitting WT auf Panzer IV, I can't help but wonder why I wouldn't play the WT auf Panzer IV instead.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You shouldn't be using the 15 cm on German TDs, but they're pretty much the same tank. The benefit of the JT is its ability to bully tier 8s and bounce (non-HEAT) shells at long range if it does get spotted.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hope they bring back a version of the Halloween event from last year. I really enjoyed it :unsmith:.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m almost certain I’ve asked this before but is there a good resource for the deeply stupid for this game? Even back in the day I don’t think I ever really understood the interplay between all the systems and I kept wanting to play it as a very different game from what it actually is. Would like to actually and try and learn what’s going on.

E: I did, last year. But the game keeps sticking in my head so gonna try again.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

I’m almost certain I’ve asked this before but is there a good resource for the deeply stupid for this game? Even back in the day I don’t think I ever really understood the interplay between all the systems and I kept wanting to play it as a very different game from what it actually is. Would like to actually and try and learn what’s going on.

E: I did, last year. But the game keeps sticking in my head so gonna try again.

Skill is my go-to:

https://skill4ltu.eu/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Skill is great for how to equip your tank and crew, but he doesn't really explain how to play for beginners.

So much of getting good at tanks is how you set up your settings and mods. Dez has a good video explaining how to set up your settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw3GgPy8E_M

The other stuff that is very important that isn't explained is the vision system, concealment, armour, and penetration mechanics. WarGaming put out some stupid videos that explain these.

Vision mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrQ1UPltXg

Concealment Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0CKEJhIptI

Concealment Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZVWmHQVuVI

Armour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtmnwIwrHc

Penetration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuYAiVZ050

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that was more what I was missing, though still very much thanks to you both. Honestly it’s the weird kinda slow strategy and skill stuff the game seems to have developed that keeps making me think about the game so I need to learn it. No more driving into the enemy team with a Luchs or a BT7 and doing donuts shooting people in the rear end.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No problem! The WarGaming videos are pretty old, but I don't think anything has really changed from what's shown in them. Just post if you have any questions. Also post if you're thinking about using mods and I'll write a stupidly long reply about that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are there any mods you’d strongly recommend? I don’t really care about the stat track stuff for the moment, no need to stress about winning when I’m dogshit myself.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are so many that make a difference. Basically, you want to download Aslain's modpack and select the following:

code:
Selected components:
      ----------[ XVM: eXtended Visualization Mod ]-------------------------------------------
         ----------[ VEHICLE MARKERS (OTM) ] ------------------------------
            OTM by OMC
         ----------[ PANELS & WINDOWS (IN-BATTLE) ]----------------------------------
            Panels by Aslain
               Battle Loading
                  Battle Loading: from XVM Team
               Statistics Tab (under TAB key)
                  Statistics Tab: from XVM Team
               Remove class icons
               Remove clan icons
               Remove rank badge icon
               Remove country flags
               Remove XVM icons
               Players Panel
                  Medium panels (default)
                     Medium & short: from default XVM
                  Medium2 panels
                     Rating, Class
                  Large Players Panel
                     Large XVM (Default)
                  Start Mode
                     Start mode: Large (WoT default)
                  Background Transparency
                     transparency: 60 (weak) [WoT default]
                  Show HP bars:
                     HP bars: On the sides of panel (under L.ALT)
                  Show enemy spotted markers
                     marker: Bulb #1 (from XVM)
                  Remove rank badge icon.
         ----------[ XVM MINIMAP ]------------------------------------
            Circles
               Show 50m radius auto-detection circle
                  Thin turquoise circle
               Show 445m maximum detection range circle (yellow)
               Show 564m maximum drawing distance circle (red)
                  With bold line
               Show dynamic view range circle (blue)
               Show view range circle while in motion (navy blue)
               Show range circle for machinegun & spg (thin red)
            Lines
               Show vehicle direction line
                  Long & thin green line
               Show camera direction line
                  Turquoise line w/dots every 100m
               Show gun traverse lines
            Labels
               Show HP dynamic circles on the minimap
               Show vehicle names
                  Full
               The alternative minimap mode (when ALT is pressed)
                  Labels
                     Show players name on the minimap
            Icon scale
               Icon scale: x1.0 (Default)
         ----------[ OTHER XVM SETTINGS ]-----------------------------------------
            Enable Auto-login to the game [only for running the game without WGC!]
            Show Team WN8 w/Win Chance
               Team WN8: Position No. 3
               Win Chance only
            XVM Sight
               Aim Info
                  Sight: Aim Time
                  Sight: Flight Time
                  Sight: Shell speed
                  Sight: Position No. 1 (on the right)
            Accurate Damage Indicator
               Display the indicator for 12 secs
      ----------[ NON-XVM MODS BRANCH ]-------------------------------------------
         ----------[ CAMERA MODS ]------------------------------------
            Zoom-in for sniper mode
               2-4-8-16-24-30x
            Zoom-out
               Zoom-out in arcade mode
                  400m away max
               Zoom-out in Tactical view
                  40m away max
               Zoom-out in SPG strategic mode
                  400m away max
            Disable gun shake effect after shot
            Scope Shadow Remover
            Armour Penetration Indicator
               Indicator from PMOD
            Sight
               PMOD server crosshair
                  server crosshair: White
                  Display shapes in high contrast (outlined)
                  Crosshair Scale
                     1.0 (big)
               Better Reticle Size
               Reticle Size Limit Remover
         ----------------------[ CROSSHAIRS ]------------------------------------------
            Battle Assistant for SPG
            Gun Constraints (gun traverse angle markers)
               Gun Constraints Izeberg
         Custom Damage Indicators
            Indicator: version #2
         Circle with a radius of 15m
         ----------[ AIM HELPING MODS ]----------------------------------------
            AutoAim Indication+
               Easier autoaim locking (time snapping)
                  AA tries to lock for: infinite time (until toggled)
               block shooting at wrecks
               block shooting at allies
            BalCalcMod (balistic calculation helper)
               activated by 'F' key
         ----------[ HITLOGS NON-XVM ]-----------------------------------------
         Team HP Pool Bar
            Team HP Bar Arm [PMOD]
         Hide Dog Tags in the postmortem screen [PMOD]
         Hidden Parameters
         Object 279 Personal Mission auto-reset
         ----------[ SIXTH SENSE (NON-XVM) ]-------------------------------------
            static icon
               Sixth Sense 10s duration
         ----------[ GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE ]------------------------------
            Fog Remover
               Remove: Fog & sun-glare
         ----------[ GARAGE ]---------------------------------------------
            Unanonymizer on battle results
            ----------[ SESSION STATISTICS ]-----------------------------
         ----------[ SOUNDS ]----------------------------------------------------------
            The other sound mods
               Remove annoying sound from destroying allied tank
               Remove annoying sound from destroying enemy tank
         ----------[ CUSTOMIZATIONS, TEXTURES & MODELS ]------------------------
            Skins on destroyed vehicles
               Tanks
                  White
               Tracks
                  White

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

There are so many that make a difference. Basically, you want to download Aslain's modpack and select the following:

There's a component within Aslain's, at the bottom of the list IIRC, that lets you export and import a config file so you don't have to do it manually like that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The accurate aiming reticle mod is also a pro install. I was originally very confused about it, but it turns out that for some bizarre reason WoT doesn't actually scale your aiming reticle correctly. The actual area your shells will hit is quite a bit smaller than the game's visual reticle, so it can be useful to fix that. "Better Reticle Size" is included in Aslain's modpack.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Awesome, thanks everyone. Still in awe at the number of menus in this game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well that's the T-44 done and dusted.

On to the T-54 now. Seems like a brutal stock grind but I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Definitely going to keep the T-44 for fun though, and also to unlock the Object 430 while I'm at it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 20, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, I figured out how to make sharing mods easy:

quote:

Step 1: Go to Aslain's and download the modpack.

Step 2: Once you get to the list of mods, scroll down to the bottom, select the option shown below, and install the mod.

Step 3: Run LOADINF_for_Aslains_Installer.exe that was installed in your World of Tanks folder.

Step 4: Click the Load the installer button and select Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer.exe from the Aslain_Modpack folder in your World of Tanks folder.

Step 5: Download this .rar file with my mod selections and extract it to wherever.

Step 6: Click the Load the .inf file button and select the _Aslains_Installer_Options.inf file from wherever you extracted the .rar file.

Step 7: Click the Run the installer button.

Step 8: Copy the res_mods folder from wherever you extracted the .rar file and paste it into your World of Tanks folder. Yes, you want to replace the 11 files.

That's it. Now you should have a decent mod setup. Unfortunately, it isn't red-green colorblind friendly.

The important mods are the following:

Circles and lines on the minimap:
- Green circle for your view range
- White circles for 564m draw distance, 445m max view range, and 50m proximity spotting distance
- Red circle for your gun range (for low tier autocannons and arty)
- White lines for your gun traverse angles (TDs and arty only)
- Green line showing where you're aiming (use it to line up shots on unlit enemies based on where they were last spotted on the minimap)

Accurate damage indicator - Line it up with the center of your screen to shoot back at unlit enemies that shot you.

Camera mods:
- Increased zoom in and out.
- Removed gun shake after firing and scope shadow
- Armour penetration indicator - Shows whether your shot will penetrate the armour under the crosshair (Green will pen, yellow 50% chance, red or magenta will not pen).
- Server side crosshair - Shows where the game thinks you're aiming. Wait until it lines up with where you think you're aiming before firing.
- Reticle size fixes - Shows the real size of your reticle.

Improved autoaim - Right click to activate. Autoaim will lock onto the first enemy you mouse over. Also prevents you from shooting allied and dead tanks.

BalCalcMod - Hold down the F key to pay your respects set the aiming distance you want. Used because the game decides to aim at the scenery behind enemies when they go unspotted.

Extended Sixth Sense - The Sixth Sense icon lasts for long enough that you will be unspotted if you get back into cover immediately.

Battle Hits Viewer - Shows where enemies shot you in previous matches. Access via the mod button in the bottom right of the garage. Might be buggy.

Dead White Tanks - Turns tank corpses white. Lets you aim better at enemies that are using dead tanks for cover.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 21, 2023

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Literally no anime girl mods 0/10 list

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlocked the T7 British wheeled medium, and while I was at it, I grinded out the 100 BP points on the Staghound before selling it. The T5 was decent for its tier, but the Staghound felt like poo poo. It suffers from the line's general problem of handling like a loving bistro. The gun is surprisingly inaccurate for how low the alpha is, and there's just nothing the thing does terribly well.

Pretty much the only thing you can do is try to snipe from the distance, because you have no armour, low HP, awful gun handling and awful tank handling, that you can't try to drive around and take pot shots at people from speed. You'll just get murdered in seconds. And if you try to snipe from the distance, your bad gun handling and low shell velocity will make it very difficult to hit anything that's moving even a little bit.

Apparently the T7 is good, and with the possible exception of the T9, is the last decent/good tank in the line.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rudy's on sale for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McGavin posted:

Rudy's on sale for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Yeah, it's honestly worth it for the dual-nation (Polish and Soviet) perk, as well as it following the typical T8+ Soviet crew spread.

...and that's before the doggo Sixth Sense bark.

Pretty much the only downside to the Rudy is that you have to equip it twice for each nation.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

How important are the new modifaction things you can do to your maxed out tanks. I guess I don't understand the mechanics of this game that will because it seems like making the aim circle smaller but contract slower or contract faster but be bigger are the same drat thing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

How important are the new modifaction things you can do to your maxed out tanks. I guess I don't understand the mechanics of this game that will because it seems like making the aim circle smaller but contract slower or contract faster but be bigger are the same drat thing.

There are a lot of no-brainer choices. The field mod recommendations on skill's website are basically gospel. I only disagree about autoloading tanks because I think reducing aim time on them is more important than increasing accuracy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay, I’m starting to figure things out, map knowledge is still by far my highest cause of death followed swiftly by terrible, terrible decisions but I think I get how to get better. Which means it’s really bad idea time.

Is anyone particularly into light tanks and would like to - or previously has - type a bunch about them? I don’t think the heavy stuff is for me, just not how I wanna enjoy the game. Mediums are better and probably a better call but in the end I wanna go fast, shoot rear end and have slightly more dynamism to my games than “drive to lane, peak rocks for five minutes.” I know that plenty of maps mean that’ll be more like “pick a bush and wait” but I still think it’s where I wanna go.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is interesting:

Normally QB has roughly twice the viewers Skill has. I wonder if this is just due to time zone differences, like maybe a lot of QB's viewers are from the US and they don't watch streams at 11 AM GMT?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

McGavin posted:

The important mods are the following:

Circles and lines on the minimap:
- Green circle for your view range
- White circles for 564m draw distance, 445m max view range, and 50m proximity spotting distance
- Red circle for your gun range (for low tier autocannons and arty)
- White lines for your gun traverse angles (TDs and arty only)
- Green line showing where you're aiming (use it to line up shots on unlit enemies based on where they were last spotted on the minimap)

Accurate damage indicator - Line it up with the center of your screen to shoot back at unlit enemies that shot you.

Camera mods:
- Removed gun shake after firing
- Armour penetration indicator - Shows whether your shot will penetrate the armour under the crosshair (Green will pen, yellow 50% chance, red or magenta will not pen).
- Server side crosshair - Shows where the game thinks you're aiming. Wait until it lines up with where you think you're aiming before firing.

As someone who plays with only MoE mod, these are all in game as well, no mods needed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sayara posted:

As someone who plays with only MoE mod, these are all in game as well, no mods needed.

Yeah, but the in-game implementation is typically not as good. Like, the armour pen indicator mod shows the numerical value of the thickness of the armour where you're aiming, not just a colour.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It takes forever to do that much damage when you're only doing 90 per shot. I was literally down to my last round, but some rear end in a top hat snaked the kill before I could get a Fadin's.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The track repair time on the wheeled mediums is like 20 seconds. Might be worth putting hardening on them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Huh, I guess it can happen...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

McGavin posted:

Huh, I guess it can happen...

bet that guy feels like an idiot if he checked battle hits lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As predicted, the stock grind on the T-54 is complete rear end. Holy gently caress do you ever feel useless with those first two guns at T9. And it's like 90 000 XP to get the turret and one of the two better guns.

I can't even imagine how horrible this would be without the Top of the Tree XP bonuses.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 23, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I let them win: I took advantage of the better than normal conversion rate and burned some of my lootbox gold from last Christmas to unlock the turret and the optional gun with the insane HEAT pen. Now I can actually damage poo poo occasionally.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/lWG1t0v.mp4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In case anyone is considering spending money on the Waffentrager event:
1. Don't.
2. If you must buy, don't reroll. A reroll costs the same as buying a key in the cheapest package, which is the most expensive per key.
3. If you're trying to get a specific tank, only tanks that aren't in your garage will drop, so make sure that you have bought the Senlac and Strv 81 from the bond store first.

Orv
May 4, 2011
2% for a tank seems like poo poo odds to even bother with, is every event that way?

Also, being terrible so I don't make much xp/money and thereby don't level up my crew to actually being useful is a somewhat frustrating experience.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Orv posted:

2% for a tank seems like poo poo odds to even bother with, is every event that way?

Also, being terrible so I don't make much xp/money and thereby don't level up my crew to actually being useful is a somewhat frustrating experience.

You get a guaranteed tank every 50 pulls. Most World of Tanks lootbox events are like this. This one is just especially not worth it, because the other drops are not really great.

As a new player, just stick to lower tiers until you you feel comfortable clubbing the baby seals. There isn't really any incentive to moving up past tier 6 until you're confident in your abilities.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I got up to tier six on a couple lines and have been sticking around there to learn stuff. I also play the Type 59 occasionally to make credits and get utterly clowned on though it feels like maybe time has passed that thing by.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orv posted:

Yeah I got up to tier six on a couple lines and have been sticking around there to learn stuff. I also play the Type 59 occasionally to make credits and get utterly clowned on though it feels like maybe time has passed that thing by.

It has, but the Type 59 isn't TERRIBLE. You have preferential matchmaking so you never have to face T10s, the gun is accurate and has decent DPM. You just can't yolo with it, and the garbage gun depression is a bit limiting. But it still makes good credits!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, the only thing good about the Type 59 was that it was hard to pen with standard credit ammo. Now that everyone carries gold the Type 59 has lost a lot of its shine. It isn't terrible, but it isn't anything special either.

The BZ-176 however...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it seems fine but it definitely isn’t the same thing of just freely driving into the enemy team and doing whatever you wanted like it was when it originally came out. Not that I try much of that, my main problem right now is trying to balance taking more shots with not being constantly in terrible places and dying instantly.

Oh and thank you whoever linked that Verizon thing way back in the thread, surprisingly it’s still valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Assault on Ghost Town. Three tanks from my team just drove into the cap and three capped without anyone stopping them. Game probably didn't even last a minute.

Weirdest game I've had in a while.