Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CaptainCrunch posted:

Can't just load up a pattern in photoshop! They made the sequin glimmer in Jessica's dress by filming light shining through a black plastic bag that they'd scratched with steel wool.

This loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And the prop used for the scene where Roger smashes through the glass at Maroon studios was an actual pane of glass and venetian blinds carefully cut in Roger's silhouette and it only took one take for it to break exactly in that silhouette which is pretty impressive in terms of breakable/breakaway props.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

As was the whole scene in the theater where Eddie tells Roger about his brother's death; for a full two minutes you have Roger sitting there at the edge of the screen with his hands over his mouth, listening quietly, motionless, but he's still animated carefully on ones as he fidgets minutely and the camera zooms slowly in on Eddie. Someone had to sit there and draw almost the same frame hundreds of times for that shot, and not one of them could have been fudged or benefited from tweening. Diabolical

This feels like a bit where it was absolutely the right thing to do; with how lackadaisical Roger's character is, that his reactions are genuine down to his animation is probably necessary to sell the scene where he realises where Eddie's attitude comes from and what makes the situation deadly serious. Especially because one of the most animated characters in the movie is sitting down and shutting up for a few minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that the actor for roger rabbit played the incredibly creepy basement poster man zodiac.

And the sleep doctor in the first elm street

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I also noticed with more appreciation this time that they'd used a period-correct Clampett style model for Daffy Duck. Something later like Chuck Jones style might have been more resonant with the audience but it wouldn't have been right

At the same time there's so much extreme forced perspective and close-up work on the animated characters that it feels like they're attempting something that has never been done before on a technical level. Making them "act" in the live-action world while still being fundamentally 2D designs is tough enough, but then you get something like Daffy's arms reaching straight at the camera situated within the piano as he plays it, or the buzzsaw arm on Doom at the end where he swipes it straight at the camera like you're in a 3D movie with red/blue glasses on. Might not have been CGI but it sure was a flourish and a flex. As was the whole scene in the theater where Eddie tells Roger about his brother's death; for a full two minutes you have Roger sitting there at the edge of the screen with his hands over his mouth, listening quietly, motionless, but he's still animated carefully on ones as he fidgets minutely and the camera zooms slowly in on Eddie. Someone had to sit there and draw almost the same frame hundreds of times for that shot, and not one of them could have been fudged or benefited from tweening. Diabolical

Speaking of, the myth that Donald calls Daffy the N word during that scene is just based on a misunderstanding of the line right? If so, what did he really say?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, the myth that Donald calls Daffy the N word during that scene is just based on a misunderstanding of the line right? If so, what did he really say?

“Doggone stubborn little… *angry duck noises*”

Donald’s lines were archive recordings as Clarence Nash had died a few years before Roger Rabbit was made. I can distinctly remember hearing that same exact recorded line in one of the old shorts, but I’ll be damned if I knew which one. Probably used more than once, now that I think about it.

It’s just people hearing something that just isn’t there, like Something Awful’s very own :piss: when the guy clearly says “badass”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If your ears are broken you hear "badass" when he is clearly saying piiiiissssss

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

If your ears are broken you hear "badass" when he is clearly saying piiiiissssss

:hmmyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pidiiiisss

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

“Doggone stubborn little… *angry duck noises*”

Donald’s lines were archive recordings as Clarence Nash had died a few years before Roger Rabbit was made. I can distinctly remember hearing that same exact recorded line in one of the old shorts, but I’ll be damned if I knew which one. Probably used more than once, now that I think about it.

It’s just people hearing something that just isn’t there, like Something Awful’s very own :piss: when the guy clearly says “badass”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Huh, that’s weird seeing as Tony Anselmo started voicing the character in 1985 and the movie came out in ‘88

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Larryb posted:

Huh, that’s weird seeing as Tony Anselmo started voicing the character in 1985 and the movie came out in ‘88

Oh yeah, forgot about Anselmo :doh:

Although I’m still like 80% certain that it’s Nash but the “Oh yeah?!” And “This is hot stuff!” (which sounds like Anselmo and in a higher fidelity) . Take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sf-KJS66Kg

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

these are neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxDa07jKIL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0mh_HJb20

kind of gross cartoon violence at the end of this one but the rest has an interesting style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mE2Fxb4aHA

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Want to watch a crazy superhero CGI movie that's way better than it should be?

Here's Mortal Kombat 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgj-7ga7u1A

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's weird they don't just make a TV shows out of their game's story modes with newly choreographed fight scenes to fill in where the gameplay is. The quality is there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

It's weird they don't just make a TV shows out of their game's story modes with newly choreographed fight scenes to fill in where the gameplay is. The quality is there.

Actually, there's a few well choreographed cinematic fights in there too. So they've got the talent. Doing that 100 times is a tall order though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SCheeseman posted:

They've gone to that well before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyq_XnH5ZkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQljtv4UwQ

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
who's excited for the Disney centennial DiCaprio-pointing-at-screen short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQrVla3TTk

I will say that they did a very good job of reproducing their older styles of 2D animation, at least (as opposed to something like the Rescue Rangers movie, where most of the "2D" characters were obviously just cel-shaded CG)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Barry Convex posted:

who's excited for the Disney centennial DiCaprio-pointing-at-screen short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQrVla3TTk

I will say that they did a very good job of reproducing their older styles of 2D animation, at least (as opposed to something like the Rescue Rangers movie, where most of the "2D" characters were obviously just cel-shaded CG)

Some of them are pretty badly off model. Ursula looks especially bad, but I feel like for the most part the 2D characters look good. I'm hoping to see Treasure Planet show up, even if they're just background characters. Home on the Range is right there, so I have to assume Silver will at least be somewhere.

Unrelated, Youtube has for some reason decided to start giving me clips of Alice in Wonderland, the live action version with Johnny Depp. And after watching several clips I'm struck by one thing: How good the animation is on all the CGI creatures. They all look and move extremely well, and they don't feel out of place next to live action Alice. They all have big expressive eyes, and this includes the rabbits, the mouse, the Cheshire Cat, etc.

I bring this up because it's such a stark contrast to the live action Lion King where they chose to not have the lions animate in fun or dynamic ways, their faces aren't emotive at all, they don't have a big expressive eyes, etc. The entire time I'm watching these Alice clips I'm constantly baffled that the Lion King couldn't do animation like this. I would probably hate the movie way less if the lions were animated as well as like the basset hound in Alice. I mean even Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, who should look really uncanny valley because they're just small humans that are fully CG, end up looking really good because they clearly are animated properly and not with an attempt to look realistic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Some of them are pretty badly off model. Ursula looks especially bad, but I feel like for the most part the 2D characters look good. I'm hoping to see Treasure Planet show up, even if they're just background characters. Home on the Range is right there, so I have to assume Silver will at least be somewhere.

"Hey has anyone seen Br'er Rabbit?"

Mickey: "Hey have you tried shutting the gently caress up?"

quote:

Unrelated, Youtube has for some reason decided to start giving me clips of Alice in Wonderland, the live action version with Johnny Depp. And after watching several clips I'm struck by one thing: How good the animation is on all the CGI creatures. They all look and move extremely well, and they don't feel out of place next to live action Alice. They all have big expressive eyes, and this includes the rabbits, the mouse, the Cheshire Cat, etc.

I bring this up because it's such a stark contrast to the live action Lion King where they chose to not have the lions animate in fun or dynamic ways, their faces aren't emotive at all, they don't have a big expressive eyes, etc. The entire time I'm watching these Alice clips I'm constantly baffled that the Lion King couldn't do animation like this. I would probably hate the movie way less if the lions were animated as well as like the basset hound in Alice. I mean even Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, who should look really uncanny valley because they're just small humans that are fully CG, end up looking really good because they clearly are animated properly and not with an attempt to look realistic.

They almost definitely could've, but they were so committed to the bit of it being a "live-action" Lion King that they couldn't make the lions (or any other characters) do anything wildly off of what actual animals could do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a strange trick

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

YMS’ Lion King review has several pre-production stills of exactly that, mostly-realistic animals with slight tweaks to eyes and features to make them capable of showing emotion, but someone high up *coughjonfavreaucough* insisted that the animals be entirely photo realistic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
CG animals always take me the gently caress out of a movie. If they're fantasy with no relative comparison, cool, but I seen a real lion and bitch, that ain't it.

Reminds me of this guy:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

Reminds me of this guy:

I like him. He looks like a friend.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
He sounds like Snagglepuss. You know he does.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Das Boo posted:

Reminds me of this guy:

Das Boo posted:

He sounds like Snagglepuss. You know he does.

"Exit, stage right!" *Points with tongue.*

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this looks watchable, the visuals aren't mind blowing but if the choreography of the fights is good it could be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wsUxg68Ek

it depends on how good the writing is I suppose

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm honestly surprised Onimusha is getting a series, and it looks like at least it's not based off of any of the existing games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takeshi Miike is apparently directing it as well

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Robindaybird posted:

I'm honestly surprised Onimusha is getting a series, and it looks like at least it's not based off of any of the existing games.

What’s so surprising about a series that hasn’t gotten a new game since 2006 that barely anyone talks about getting an anime series from a well-known director???

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, was the Shenmue anime from a little while back any good?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, was the Shenmue anime from a little while back any good?

What do you think?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

What do you think?

Alright, that’s a no then

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Apparently it stops after Shenmue 2 which is both surprising and yet also not surprising at all since what fool would think it would actually advance the story in any way?

e: it does have forklift driving in the OP so they clearly knew what the people want

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 24, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you want a fast catch-up on the series, the Shenmue anime is arguably one of the best ways to do so, it was kind of a "here are the highlights of games 1 and 2" speedrun, like a really tightly edited let's play or something, with a bit of humor in places.

I would honestly argue that cliffhanger ending aside, it's the best way to experience the series as a whole. (You don't need Shenmue 3. Nobody needed Shenmue 3.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If you take Shenmue and skip the menial tedious stuff, what's even left?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It kinda doesn't, though. It did an entire episode of job and mini game poo poo in the first half as a comedy beat because they knew it was part of The Experience.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I never understood why people liked that franchise.

But it was truly impressive how decades later the third part appeared and fixed precisely zero of the previous problems and continued at the exact change of pace with the story. It's like the producers lived in a void and haven't seen any piece of media ever since. It feels like some sort of abstract outsider art.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I went to Nickelodeon Instagram and is surprised they are making a Loud House live action movie. I guess they will do that with all their nost popular animated series. Maybe now SpongeBob, but they can always screen the Broadway show.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

The MSJ posted:

I went to Nickelodeon Instagram and is surprised they are making a Loud House live action movie. I guess they will do that with all their nost popular animated series. Maybe now SpongeBob, but they can always screen the Broadway show.

They did a live-action Loud House Christmas movie, which led to a live-action series and now a Halloween movie.

They were working on a second season until the strikes put that on pause.

Never seen any of it beyond ads but I wonder if they just recycle premises/scripts from the animated series for the live-action one. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
looks alright and I'm glad that WDAS finally seems to be making a movie with a proper (i.e. not a third-act plot twist) villain for the first time since 2010, but who wrote these lyrics? "throw caution to every warning sign?" That doesn't make any sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyRxxpD3yNw