Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stone cold could put on a long match, entertain the crowd with his words alone and was always in the spotlight when he was around

goldberg could only do squash matches because he was never trained properly, couldnt talk, and was buried by kevin nash and hulk hogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
gOLDBERG FOAMING FROM THE MOUTH DURING A PROMO LIKE A RABID loving ANIMAL FTW

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
*capslock

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Gavok posted:

EVERYBODY LOVES THE BIG GUY: PART 1

I love these. They remind me that I have all the knowledge it would take to write one, but lack the skill, drive, and wit to pull it off. Thanks Gavok, it's like reliving my teens and early 20s.

I also don't think Goldberg was a rip off of anyone in particular, with the limited skill, gas, and move set, but a callback to earlier times unbeatable monsters.
I also think the Regal match is severely underrated and if, rather than firing Regal, they would have let them work together more often Goldberg may eventually have learned to wrestle.
I have a big soft spot for this match, and it's helped a lot by the commentators. Apparently William Regal was told to go give the kid a good 5 minutes, which he did based on what that phrase meant to him. He got poo poo canned for "making Goldberg look bad", which I don't feel is write if you're not another wrestler looking at that.
I'm not a pro wrestler in any way, just a fan, so what I saw was a guy considered an untalented power monster adapting to a technical style to survive, and then power monstering. It was sloppy, but not fireable to me.
https://youtu.be/Y4IdelJfk2k?si=2g82oW-P9gn8wpPz

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 20, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

EVERYBODY LOVES THE BIG GUY: PART 2

Near the end of 2012, Ryback was getting hugely popular and because WWE was really bad at building up top faces who weren’t John Cena and John Cena was injured just enough, they decided to push Ryback into a title feud with Punk. Cena gave Ryback his blessing and Punk vs. Ryback for the title was signed for Hell in a Cell 2012.

It was a major match with a major problem: it was a match neither guy should lose. CM Punk’s title run was not meant to end just yet and Ryback was still too fresh to suddenly become champion, but at the same time, Ryback’s momentum was so strong that having him lose would hurt him. A good booker could come out with a good way around this. Sadly, Vince’s solution was not all that great.

I mean, I guess it could have been worse.

As Ryback had the match won, the referee punched him in the balls and helped Punk win. The referee was a developmental wrestler named Brad Maddox who despite having personality and being deceptively swole, was given roles of referee and later a lesser authority figure. He would later become more well remembered for his real life activities as he filmed a sex tape between Xavier Woods and Paige.

On one hand, having Ryback tear Maddox in half with his bare hands was a good way to get some shine back after losing to Punk in such a bullshit way. On the other hand, they were doing Punk vs. Ryback vs. Cena at Survivor Series. Ryback was once again in a big match that he was in no way going to win.

This time, they had a good enough out for him. One that would change the course of wrestling history.

Late in the match, developmental guys Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and Dean Ambrose attacked Ryback and put him through a table with a triple powerbomb. Ryback would later claim that he suggested the triple-team move to the budding faction, which he would live to regret, as he would have to take that bump again and again and again. CM Punk retained the title and the Shield was born.

Actually, I should amend my claim that this was a good out for Ryback. If he was going to spend time tearing through the trio, it would have been fine for him. Too bad for Ryback, the Shield was going to be more dominant than Ryback EVER was. They kept targeting him and their MO was to be unbeatable as a unit. That meant that when Ryback, Daniel Bryan, and Kane fought them at TLC 2012, the Shield got to look strong and win.

Ryback was at least being teamed up with Cena at house shows. He was still beating midcarders regularly. There was some juice left in his push.

At Royal Rumble 2013, Ryback entered at #30. That was usually the spot you’d give to someone who was a kayfabe big deal, but not someone who was going to win. Ryback ended up the runner up, losing to Cena. See, Ryback never had a chance. His fate was sealed years earlier.

Rewinding to 2011, WrestleMania 27 was hosted by the Rock (making his long-awaited return to WWE) and had a main event of Cena vs. Miz. Rock got involved and attacked Cena. On the following Raw, he suggested a match between the two at the following WrestleMania. At WrestleMania 28, in a match referred to as “Once in a Lifetime,” Rock defeated Cena. This was supposed to lead to Cena enduring “the worst year of his career,” but since Vince didn’t like Cena to look weak, he actually had a fantastic 2012 that they pretended was dogshit. Rock beat CM Punk at Royal Rumble for the WWE Championship and with Cena winning the Rumble match, they were going to do a big rematch for the title at WrestleMania 29. "Once in a Lifetime," my rear end.

So yeah, Ryback’s hand was dealt before he could even play.

But surely there was some kind of momentum or big win you could give The Big Guy, right? Well, at Elimination Chamber, Ryback, Cena, and Sheamus lost to the Shield. Then at WrestleMania 29, Ryback took on Mark Henry of all people. And Mark Henry won! Cleanly! Ryback beat him up after the match, but the damage was done. Ryback’s push as a top face was dead in the water.

There was only one thing left to do: heel turn.

On the very next night, Raw ended with Ryback rescuing Cena from Mark Henry, only to turn on Cena and lay him out. Ryback wanted the gold. He also pointed out through promos that Cena was a bad friend, which Cena no-sold as he did any promo that talked about any of his flaws as a character.

At Extreme Rules 2013, Cena faced Ryback in a Last Man Standing Match. Once again, they wanted to keep Ryback from winning the title while also protecting him. The way they did it was stupid as gently caress. The two fought on the ramp and Ryback tackled Cena through the big screen display. They burst through the wall with a big spark explosion.

Moments later, Ryback was seen stumbling away on his feet while Cena was completely out as medical personnel tended to him. The match was deemed a no contest. Once again: Ryback was still standing in a Last Man Standing Match, but Cena was so hurt from the final spot that they threw the whole thing out.

What the gently caress?

Commentary and Ryback never brought this up either. They just kept the feud going into a 2-out-3 falls match at Payback where each match was a gimmick. Cena won, ending the feud and fully killing Ryback’s main event run.

It got so bad that Ryback’s next PPV match was against Chris Jericho with the storyline that... the two were complaining that they didn’t have matches on the card and therefore got paired together. At least Ryback won with a surprise roll-up of all things. I guess. It was a nothing match and Ryback followed it up by not being involved in SummerSlam 2013.

In danger of falling into obscurity, Ryback found a partnership that had the potential to make him a big player once again. The Big Guy was about to become a Paul Heyman Guy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

One thing to note about Ryback vs Henry at Wrestlemania 29: the finish was another lame attempt to make Ryback not look as bad, but it was real dumb. Ryback was beating Henry, so he hoists him up for the shell shock, but he couldn't handle his weight and Henry just fell on top of him and pinned him. So, they both looked like poo poo.

Also, I hope you bring up a particular Raw I will always remember. I don't know what the deal was, but they were giving fan favorites who weren't really getting a push a chance to give heart felt promos. This was when we saw Cesaro talk about how no one can do what he does in between these four ropes, er, "they are actually posts...posts. No one." Damian Sandow was coming off doing his dumb Mizdow gimmick and gave a heartfelt promo about how the locker room made fun of him, but the fans saved him from depression . Then Miz came out and Sandow did the thing where he just mockingly repeated everything Miz said in a whiny voice, then tossed him out the ring. His new music played and it reminded me of weird David Copperfield magic music. We never saw Sandow wrestle singles again or heard that new music again.

And Ryback talked about The Secret.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I remember Ryback being really into the Secret and bringing it up in a promo, but I don't remember that Mizdow thing.

Sandow might deserve his own effortpost, but it would be a one-off because there's not too much to him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goldberg seems more like a prototype for Brock Lesner in his early years before he stopped caring

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Gavok posted:

I remember Ryback being really into the Secret and bringing it up in a promo, but I don't remember that Mizdow thing.

Sandow might deserve his own effortpost, but it would be a one-off because there's not too much to him.

The Mizdow thing was supposed to be Sandow's great liberation from being Miz's goon, with a renewed focus of "I'm not a joke character!"

Sandow proceeded to have a gimmick where he was a joke character, as he started just mimicking his opponents for a bit (like a 5-year old), then eventually dressing and acting like Macho Man Randy Savage for some reason.

The only "payoff" to this gimmick was Sandow briefly tagging with Curtis Axel, who was knee-deep in a Hulk Hogan parody gimmick (AXELMANIA!). I think this was getting pushed pretty hard up until Hogan's...uhhhm, "views" on race-relations, became very public, and they quietly got shuffled off the show.

Similar to a Sandow post, an effort post about Curtis Axel/Joe Hennig could be interesting. The Son of Mr. Perfect, decent/trusted hand in-ring (they had him rehab Brock Lesnar and the Rock when they were coming back), yet saddled with AWFUL gimmicks (Michael "The Genesis of" McGillicutty, Curtis Axel the Chosen Paul Heyman Guy who "concussed" HHH, Hulk Hogan cosplayer, B-Team, etc.). The guy is nowhere near as charismatic or talented as his Dad, but under the right direction he could have been a pretty solid upper/mid-carder.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

Darren Young: Um... kind of looked like John Cena in blackface? That’s something, right?

This is a really weird way to describe a black person.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is a really weird way to describe a black person.

Yeah, that's fair. My apologies.

I just remember that when they released a promotional still of Young for NXT, the immediate take people had was, "Whoa, John! That is NOT COOL!"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The Mizdow thing was supposed to be Sandow's great liberation from being Miz's goon, with a renewed focus of "I'm not a joke character!"

Sandow proceeded to have a gimmick where he was a joke character, as he started just mimicking his opponents for a bit (like a 5-year old), then eventually dressing and acting like Macho Man Randy Savage for some reason.

The only "payoff" to this gimmick was Sandow briefly tagging with Curtis Axel, who was knee-deep in a Hulk Hogan parody gimmick (AXELMANIA!). I think this was getting pushed pretty hard up until Hogan's...uhhhm, "views" on race-relations, became very public, and they quietly got shuffled off the show.

Similar to a Sandow post, an effort post about Curtis Axel/Joe Hennig could be interesting. The Son of Mr. Perfect, decent/trusted hand in-ring (they had him rehab Brock Lesnar and the Rock when they were coming back), yet saddled with AWFUL gimmicks (Michael "The Genesis of" McGillicutty, Curtis Axel the Chosen Paul Heyman Guy who "concussed" HHH, Hulk Hogan cosplayer, B-Team, etc.). The guy is nowhere near as charismatic or talented as his Dad, but under the right direction he could have been a pretty solid upper/mid-carder.

Aron/Aaron Stevens has one of the better ringnames section on his Wikipedia page:

quote:

Ring name(s)
Aaron Stevens
Aron Stevens
Aron Rex
Damien Mizdow[2]
Damien Sandow[3]
Easter Bunny[4]
Idol Stevens[1]
Macho Mandow[5]

Almost all of those are failed WWE gimmicks. :aronrex:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

but anyways, Ed Leslie ladies and etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jonny Nox posted:

Just wait til you see his bottom-18 gimmicks!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The only "payoff" to this gimmick was Sandow briefly tagging with Curtis Axel, who was knee-deep in a Hulk Hogan parody gimmick (AXELMANIA!).
this was so stupid

because, the axelmania gimmick originally was that curtis axel was attacked before he entered the ring at the royal rumble, and thus was never eliminated, so when roman left the ring at the end, that meant axel actually was "the true winner" and should be headed for wrestlemania. so #axelmania was a lower-midcard enhancement talent's comedy fan campaign to be given a title shot at wrestlemania

and at some point somebody at wwe I guess just got confused and thought he was referencing hulkamania? I have no idea. I mean, it was funny when he was doing it, but the whole time it was also like... this is not what axelmania is, what the hell happened? :confused:
it made him look like not just an idiot but an idiot in a way that made no sense. like what was the kayfabe reason he was dressing and acting like hulk hogan, why would he think that would help him?

and macho mandow was doubly unfortunate because, for all the things sandow was good at, he's also somehow the one person on the planet who can't do a good macho man impression

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember much of PSP liking Mizdow's whole over the top stunt double thing. I also remember him being on Chris Jericho's podcast talking about how great it was to be over with the fans. Then as soon as he stopped that, no one gave two shits and everyone realized his only good gimmick was as an obnoxious heel scholar who is easily bamboozled by Sheamus.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Some shameless self promotion but for all you wrestlegoons:

Something Awful Wrestling is open for signups:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036635

What we do is take your av and make a wrestler out of it in WWE2k23, then put you up against other goons and stream twice weekly on twitch. It's not required but some people cut promos on their opponents with shitposts, longer text posts and audio through vocaroo. All are welcome, just declare you subforum representation and you're in. Similar to IZWF but with a focus on being for the entire forums.

We have a Premium Live Even Saturday at 4pm EDT, Playtime is Over

Currently Live:
https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 22, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/pKgOMXx.gifv

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That poor man!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Jonny Nox posted:

So he's like the Smithers to Hulk Hogan's Mr Burns? But with somehow even less dignity?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yes

I also assume the wanted someone between Hogan and Randy Savage in case the latter finally snapped.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 23, 2023

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I guess the SAG strike has opened up the rock's schedule quite a bit and they're hoping to lock in rock/roman for mania, which means cody is getting shuffled down again lol :rip:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Shoulda stayed with AEW. Pretty much ran his own little promo there.

Now he's just food for Lesnnar the Roman Reigns.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

David D. Davidson posted:

Shoulda stayed with AEW. Pretty much ran his own little promo there.

Now he's just food for Lesnnar the Roman Reigns.

Honestly, I didn't believe the rumors until he actually made his entrance at WrestleMania because why would anyone in his position ever come back? It's easier to fix bad booking if you're in charge of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cat Hatter posted:

Honestly, I didn't believe the rumors until he actually made his entrance at WrestleMania because why would anyone in his position ever come back? It's easier to fix bad booking if you're in charge of it.

That was supposedly part of the reason he left. He wanted more booking power and Tony Khan wouldn't give it to him, and so he wanted more money and TK wouldn't give it to him, so he went 'gently caress it then, I'm out.'

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Never underestimate the dumbassery of a sports entertainer. Ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cody is one of the top faces in the biggest wrestling promotion out there and by a wide margin

I’m sure he’s fine

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cody is one of the top faces in the biggest wrestling promotion out there and by a wide margin

I’m sure he’s fine

Cody is the main event*

*on night 1i

isecond main event from the top

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cody is basically the successor of Triple H, in that I think Jim Cornette called HHH "an 8 who was pushed like a 10, so he comes off as a 7." Or something like that.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Spammin again but we got Playtime is Over live for some goon rasslin:

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I seem to remember there were rumors Cody didn't like Punk, and that was part of his reasoning for leaving.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Walla posted:

I seem to remember there were rumors Cody didn't like Punk, and that was part of his reasoning for leaving.

All the more reason to pray for Punk's controversial return as The Rock's tag team partner on the Road to Wrestlemania.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Cody is also his own biggest mark and one of the many reasons he left is because he wants to win the WWE world championship because his dad never did

There's so many things wrong with that idea after 35 years but that's a pro wrestler's brain for you

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what else are you going to do, work at the gap?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean why would you want to be a big fish in a small pond unless your a wrestler passed his prime wrestling in his 60s in the indies

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean why would you want to be a big fish in a small pond unless your a wrestler passed his prime wrestling in his 60s in the indies

Why would you try to be any kind of fish in the acid-filled swimming pool that is WWE, though? Especially after you already took a dive there before.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Why would anyone ever trust anything Vince McMahon says?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Goldberg and Austin draw comparisons because they were big bald dudes who were the main drawing star at the same time for WCW and WWF respectively. But that's where they start to diverge pretty starkly.

I will say that 99% of the secret in pro-wrestling is to be good at talking people into the building. Austin was no better as an in-ring wrestler for his WWF run than he was as a mid-card guy who got fired from WCW because they had nothing for him (and was almost certainly worse after his neck injury), but he then hit an untapped vein of character and mic work that I doubt will get replicated ever again.

Nor are you ever going to get a truly world-class match out of someone like Rock or Hogan, but you never needed to. If the crowd are here to see you win, you can get a reaction doing basic, formulaic poo poo and taking few risks.

There's sometimes the exception that proves the rule with this, though - stars who never (or rarely) talked, such as the Sheik, the Undertaker or the Ultimate Warrior. Goldberg is basically Gen X Ultimate Warrior. For it to work, you have to be able to convey intensity and physical presence in a very specific way. It's not just about being big and being able to bench press a shitton, or Dino Bravo would have been world champion. You have to be able to convince an audience that you're about to gently caress poo poo up just from physical traits alone.

And WCW absolutely nailed that with Bill Goldberg's entrance.

For most, that seems to be natural, but there are a couple of guys like Mark Henry who cultivated it over time. Supposedly, the story goes that one day Henry had an argument backstage and went out to the ring with a look on his face like he was about to bend a guy in half. When he got back through the curtain, Vince told him that he needed to go out there every night looking exactly like that, and that's how Mark Henry went from a guy they gave embarrassing gimmicks in order to encourage him to quit the ten-year guaranteed contract they'd signed him to, to being a guy they put a world championship on.

Ryback never had that. Not in a month of Sunday Night Heats. He was Dino Bravo with a winning streak. And when the winning streak ended, he was just Dino Bravo.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Wasn't Dino Bravo a mob enforcer? Did he get killed because he was bad at being intimidating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cody is also his own biggest mark and one of the many reasons he left is because he wants to win the WWE world championship because his dad never did

There's so many things wrong with that idea after 35 years but that's a pro wrestler's brain for you

yeah Cody is a huge loving mark lol

also I heard when him and brandi left aew that no one had anything nice to say about her