Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dude became a real life political cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least they can’t say that he’s an empty suit.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dude became a real life political cartoon

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://twitter.com/DesolusDev/status/1701715805954806091

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Frantically googling "how to get away with crimes" and "how to bury things in the backyard and make it look natural"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

being a US senator is how to get away with crimes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/OliverMaltman/status/1705216653196214567?s=20

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kazil posted:

being a US senator is how to get away with crimes

And is why you shouldn't have to google it. Even the people bribing you should be able to offer tips.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

And is why you shouldn't have to google it. Even the people bribing you should be able to offer tips.

jesus christ do you have to tip on top of a bribe now?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1705364476847853639

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Wrestler 2: In The Line of Fire 2

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/alexandermoss/status/1705279987442471150

https://twitter.com/csandis/status/1705147268402233445

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1705507888075096448

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

greazeball posted:

jesus christ do you have to tip on top of a bribe now?

American senator

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can someone walk me through this one?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Warbird posted:

Can someone walk me through this one?

I'm not gonna attempt an explanation but in case nobody competent steps up, this might help

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definite_description

Look at the first section for the specifics, Russell's analysis

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

All I got from that is that language philosophers should probably be in jail.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
King Charles gonna restart the 100 Years War

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

boofhead posted:

I'm not gonna attempt an explanation but in case nobody competent steps up, this might help

Ah, philosophy. The pursuit of wisdom guided by intellectual rigor applied to the most important questions of human existence: does the King of France exist? Is he bald? Can you legally ask these questions??

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ah, philosophy. The pursuit of wisdom guided by intellectual rigor applied to the most important questions of human existence: does the King of France exist? Is he bald? Can you legally ask these questions??

Hey, no-one ever said the questions had to be important :mad:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boofhead posted:

This was a fun rabbit hole, thank you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

boofhead posted:

why is there loving math in an article about language

Warbird posted:

All I got from that is that language philosophers should probably be in jail.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

boofhead posted:

quote:

. Bertrand Russell pointed out that this raises a puzzle about the truth value of the sentence "The present King of France is bald."[1]

The sentence does not seem to be true: if we consider all the bald things, the present King of France is not among them, since there is no present King of France. But if it is false, then one would expect that the negation of this statement, that is, "It is not the case that the present King of France is bald", or its logical equivalent, "The present King of France is not bald", is true. But this sentence does not seem to be true either: the present King of France is no more among the things that fail to be bald than among the things that are bald. We therefore seem to have a violation of the law of excluded middle.

Hold the phone, fucko. It took me approximately half a second after reading this to think "but the immediately obvious negation of that sentence is "there does not presently exist a bald King of France " which it took that dumdum many sleepless nights and a tortured series of symbolic logic statements to arrive at, whatta nimrod.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean you can just look at them and go "yep" or "nah" depending tho. Unless he's wearing a toupee, then maybe you're in dicey waters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean you can just look at them and go "yep" or "nah" depending tho. Unless he's wearing a toupee, then maybe you're in dicey waters.

To a language philosopher, the scope of the attribute “bald” is not restricted to the head.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe they should just point to the head tho and be like "that bit, that's the bald part yeah".

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The problem with the philosophy of language is that it suffers from the law of the excluded outside. Language philosophers will debate amongst themselves to a mutual climax but outsiders, who do not give a single poo poo about language philosophy yet are forced to listen to the debate, will not only not climax but often will never be able to feel any mortal joy ever again

It's actually a big part of why Bertrand Russell, despite his great achievements, was eventually sealed inside a concrete box and dropped down a mine shaft

boofhead has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Sep 23, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Breetai posted:

Hold the phone, fucko. It took me approximately half a second after reading this to think "but the immediately obvious negation of that sentence is "there does not presently exist a bald King of France " which it took that dumdum many sleepless nights and a tortured series of symbolic logic statements to arrive at, whatta nimrod.

Also "the present king of france is not bald" is still less wrong than saying he is, as things that are not, also do not posess attributes, therefore asserting that the king of france lacks attributes moves the truth value slightly closer to the actual truth that the king of france is not anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Russell is trying to use mathematical logic to describe human speech. He's not saying "human speech is mathematics logic", he's saying, "If we want to talk about human language and thought in the abstract, we need to define some terms." Bear in mind the dude is among the most prominent mathematicians of the 20th century. (Even though his major project, Principia Mathematica, was utterly exploded by Gödel.)

The question Russell is asking is "Look, there are sentences in the English language that cannot be cleanly translated in formal logic. Can I fix that?" And he comes up with a definition that does address that particular problem.

It goes all mathematical because he was a mathematician trying to analyze thought: the math is baked in. The version of Russell's Paradox that everybody knows is "The town barber shaves everybody in town who does not shave himself. Who shaves the barber?" But it starts out as

e: Actually, what Boofhead said.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Sep 23, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

boofhead posted:

outsiders, who do not give a single poo poo about language philosophy yet are forced to listen to the debate, will not only not climax

Try to stop me fucker

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there hair on the head of the present king of France?

No?

Sounds bald to me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

OwlFancier posted:

Also "the present king of france is not bald" is still less wrong than saying he is, as things that are not, also do not posess attributes, therefore asserting that the king of france lacks attributes moves the truth value slightly closer to the actual truth that the king of france is not anything.

What will it take to move the truth value slightly closer to the actual truth for "all of the logic pedants have been thoroughly swirlied and shoved in a locker"?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Splicer posted:

Is there hair on the head of the present king of France?

No?

Sounds bald to me.

Ceci n'est pas une baldie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Breetai posted:

What will it take to move the truth value slightly closer to the actual truth for "all of the logic pedants have been thoroughly swirlied and shoved in a locker"?

The same locker? I find THAT dubious.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Sep 23, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

France is bald of kings. Not a single king on its head.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hyperlynx posted:

France is bald of kings. Not a single king on its head.

Yeah they cut them all off

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Okay so just to close the loop for us idiots once and for all... Is the headline a joke or just a thin reference? Is there some nuanced British underpinning of a laugh at baldness (?) or is it just that A. he's a king and B. he's in france so C. check out this sick beep boop language reference that contains no other relevant connective context

E: or is the joke that it's a thinly stretched stupid reference

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are vastly overestimating the british press if you think it goes any further than "lol king went to france get rekt frenchies"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Russell is trying to use mathematical logic to describe human speech. He's not saying "human speech is mathematics logic", he's saying, "If we want to talk about human language and thought in the abstract, we need to define some terms." Bear in mind the dude is among the most prominent mathematicians of the 20th century.

Yeah and he's most prominent as the 20th Century's biggest loser.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You are vastly overestimating the british press if you think it goes any further than "lol king went to france get rekt frenchies"

Understood. Thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah and he's most prominent as the 20th Century's biggest loser.

Didn't stop any wars, either. :colbert: