Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm impressed David Brooks managed to outdo his "overheard at the Applebee's salad bar" lie about his folksy experiences.

And really enjoying how much everyone, including the restaurant itself and the entire state of New Jersey, are just trolling him and he has stopped tweeting.

https://twitter.com/NJGov/status/1705284173571731578
https://twitter.com/MarlaTauscher/status/1705297053373563278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I just learned the other day that Sean Connery turned down playing Gandalf in LotR, Dumbledore in Harry Potter, John Hammond in Jurassic Park, and Morpheus in The Matrix because he said he didn't understand the scripts and thought they sounded stupid.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm impressed

David Brooks

no

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I just learned the other day that Sean Connery turned down playing Gandalf in LotR, Dumbledore in Harry Potter, John Hammond in Jurassic Park, and Morpheus in The Matrix because he said he didn't understand the scripts and thought they sounded stupid.

Which is why he accepted League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he didn't understand that one either and considering his misses he thought that was a promising sign.

lol

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

When did you get a new avatar Koos?

I've had a few new avs recently due to a FYAD IK.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The problem with this goes back to the faith example I brought up. Faith as Ultimate Concern is from the book Dynamics of Faith by Paul Tillich. Tillich is pretty important, MLK’s thesis was on Tillich’s concept of God as Being.

It’s a thing in mainstream American Protestant theology. For about the first five years I posted here I stuck to the religion threads. Which were predominantly occupied by edgy internet atheists back when that was a relatively new phenomenon and they hadn’t all turned into libertarians or communists yet.

The argument from their side was always: that’s a non standard definition. Even as it was cited, and I mean to the point of typing up sections of the text I could link back to. Demonstrating public figures used the idea. Or in the case of God as Being taking photos in churches with it goddamn on the walls and still being told it wasn’t a thing by goons.

It under estimates the ability of goons as group to deny others groups understandings of what words mean.

What koos group is attempting to communicate is that the rule is about people who insist on nonstandard definitions of words without explaining them, because it makes discussion impossible and let the user otherwise abuse their claims. An example would be the user in the ukraine thread who derailed it for three pages by insisting that a cold war is the same thing as an open war, and then relying on that insistence to declare that the US is in open war with Russia.

The answer is pretty simple; explain what your definitions are and where they come from, with additional :words:, like Main Paineframe said.

Main Paineframe posted:

If two people disagree on the meaning of a single word, the solution is for them to use more words to describe what they mean, provide context clues, and so on. It's unlikely for two people to disagree on the meanings of everything.

This is why the element in question is part of a larger guideline against ambiguous terms, innuendo, and exaggeration, with the core being that "part of honesty is meaning what you say".

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Why was the ring from Lord of the Rings supposed to be an unstoppable WMD that would upset the balance of power in Middle Earth, but all it did was make you invisible and turn you into a gremlin?

In addition to all of the other stuff, remember that it is the "one ring to rule them all" - them being the other rings. It has been a minute since I read all of that stuff, but as I recall Sauron made and helped make all of other magic rings that went to all of the influential kings of men, dwarves, and elves. His particular thing was being a charming diplomat that everyone loved and trusted. His own ring wasn't just a power amplifier or whatever, but a way of controlling the wearers of the other rings. It worked fully on the humans, who became the ring-wraiths. It didn't quite work on the dwarves, but allowed him to nudge them into embracing their worst instincts and becoming assholes that ultimately destroyed themselves. It didn't really work at all on the elves, and the elf leaders that still are around to resist Sauron all seem to be ring wearers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koos Group posted:

I've had a few new avs recently due to a FYAD IK.

I like it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

What koos group is attempting to communicate is that the rule is about people who insist on nonstandard definitions of words

this is why it's a dumbass rule tbh, endless forum cop nonsense over standard definitions

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Judgy Fucker posted:

Which is why he accepted League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he didn't understand that one either and considering his misses he thought that was a promising sign.

lol

Man that movie was bad, and what always gets to me is that the original series seems so adaptable and has parts that look like storyboards (e.g. Chinatown vs Moriarty). Like, just film the book, most of the big references will be pretty familiar to the audience, especially if you're committed to including Quartermain which is only barely familiar to Americans from one failed(?) movie!

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

this is why it's a dumbass rule tbh, endless forum cop nonsense over standard definitions

Mutually understood definitions are important for clear communication. Unusual definitions can also be used deliberately to fabricate agreement for an idea that does not actually exist, which is obviously bad faith. Using commonly-agreed-upon definitions (and clarifying which one you're using when there is more than one) keeps debate focused on matters of substance rather than semantics.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I can be a tour meat if I wanna be. :colbert:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there used to be a small meat packers in my parents neighborhood. their slogan was "you can't beat our meat". as with all blue collar work in the country, it morphed into an empty building at some point. eventually it became a strip club, and i've always been a little sad they didn't continue the slogan

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Koos Group posted:

Unusual definitions can also be used deliberately to fabricate agreement for an idea that does not actually exist, which is obviously bad faith.

The problem here is there can be basic fundamental disagreements about what actually does exist.

Like the maths. Are the maths real or a human construction of symbols, like language. There were a couple of quite good threads on that over years. There are disagreements at a fundamental level about what does actually exist or even if there is a real at all.

Some of those disagreements are part of the conversation and are not bad faith but instead serious disagreements about what is actually real. Is what is happening in US politics real or instead is a cynical class analysis real.

At what point does a definition become unusual?

What about good faith unusual definitions? And an example there would be the “Attention Economy” thread years ago (my brain isn’t spitting up that posters name, but somebody else’s will.

It can be bad faith, but it is not “obviously bad faith.” Words and their meanings are tools, and an unusual use of a tool is not always an inappropriate use of the tool.

Concern for the truth or the real. That’s what makes usage in good faith or in bad faith.

Edited some autocorrects

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 23, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Koos Group posted:

Mutually understood definitions are important for clear communication. Unusual definitions can also be used deliberately to fabricate agreement for an idea that does not actually exist, which is obviously bad faith. Using commonly-agreed-upon definitions (and clarifying which one you're using when there is more than one) keeps debate focused on matters of substance rather than semantics.

uh,

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What about good faith unusual definitions? And an example there would be the “Attention Economy” thread years ago (my brain isn’t spitting up that posters name, but somebody else’s will.

I think you mean Eripsa, and they would thrive in modern Dungeons and Debates

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ultra-formalism is utopian nonsense

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
in my view, the biggest cause of inconsistent definitions is a plurality of perspectives. that's why i support koos's goal of zero d&d posters by 2026.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if a lion could speak, we could not understand him

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
but for real, it's despicable how these american dogs strangle any attempt to discuss anything beyond their tiny worldview 😂

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The problem here is there can be basic fundamental disagreements about what actually does exist.

Like the maths. Are the maths real or a human construction of symbols, like language. There were a couple of quite good threads on that over years. There are disagreements at a fundamental level about what does actually exist or even if there is a real at all.

Some of those disagreements are part of the conversation and are not bad faith but instead serious disagreements about what is actually real. Is what is happening in US politics real or instead is a cynical class analysis real.

At what point does a definition become unusual?

It can be bad faith, but it is not “obviously bad faith.” Words and their meanings are tools, and an unusual use of a tool is not always an inappropriate use of the tool.

Concern for the truth or the real. That’s what makes usage in good faith or in bad faith.

Edited some autocorrects

I was referring specifically to creating agreement that doesn't exist, not anything else. For example, if you refer to allowing non-white immigrants into a majority-white country as "white genocide," you would be using a nonstandard definition of genocide, and the reason you're doing so is to make it appear as though anyone who is against genocide must also agree that this immigration is wrong.

As for "attention economy," I don't see any problem with that term. It's applying economic theories to human attention, and it's established as a neutral term for this area of study.

V. Illych L. posted:

ultra-formalism is utopian nonsense

I'm not advocating or enforcing formalism. As I said, the point of this is to get to get semantic quibbling out of the way so we can directly addressing the content of the argument, which is the important part.

exmarx posted:

in my view, the biggest cause of inconsistent definitions is a plurality of perspectives. that's why i support koos's goal of zero d&d posters by 2026.

I'm in favor of a plurality of perspectives, but they need to have a common language to speak or they'll be misunderstanding and talking past each other.

Anyway, this is getting into D&D feedback, so I must ask everyone to wait for the next feedback thread to continue this conversation, which will be fairly soon, or PM me if you'd like to discuss it earlier than that.

Koos Group fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 24, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Koos Group posted:

Unusual definitions can also be used deliberately to fabricate agreement for an idea that does not actually exist, which is obviously bad faith. Using commonly-agreed-upon definitions (and clarifying which one you're using when there is more than one) keeps debate focused on matters of substance rather than semantics.

this is an example of the forum cop nonsense, yes. the fact that it's coming from the forum cop just makes it funnier

in any case, i've finally eliminated my desire to post in d&d feedback threads through a combination of talk therapy and psychiatric medication, thankfully

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What is it with European fascists and anime?

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1706067690803319200

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cartoons about people they perceive as white being insanely powerful god like beings and also the fanservice is through the roof

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

they haven't run their entire lives with the ambition of running for office, so they once used their twitter accounts for complaining about media or whatever, instead of being bland patriotism elementals

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The previous head of the Finnish Fascist Party was (is, I suppose) a massive Tolkien fan, so by the transitive property Tolkien is anime?

poo poo :smith:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lotr was the first idol raising series, just look at all the inexplicable music interludes

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lotr was the first idol raising series, just look at all the inexplicable music interludes

and also how everyone wants to gently caress pippin

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I dunno about gently caress, but Pippin did win chatroulette, so he's the cool hobbit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1706366064102146536

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
he's getting ready for the spree

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 25, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I dunno about gently caress, but Pippin did win chatroulette, so he's the cool hobbit

after fatty bolger, anyway

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
why are you posting your fanart, LT

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

why are you posting your fanart, LT

Because they are rebooting "The Office" and I don't know how to handle it.

Also, thinking about birds.

quote:

Olivia Rodrigo revealed that she is terrified of birds in a Rolling Stone interview on Monday.

“Birds are so foreign to us — there’s not one body part that looks like ours,” she says. “Everyone’s all afraid about aliens and poo poo. They’re like, ‘What are the aliens going to look like?’ I’m like, ‘We have birds on our planet."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
but will this reboot respect the cannon of established office lore?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but will this reboot respect the cannon of established office lore?

No info. Probably not if it is actually a full reboot.

But, it is being rebooted by the same guy who was the showrunner for the original Office.

Rebooting your own franchise is a weird move.

Maybe you will see Dwight working at Burger King and the season 1 twist is that it takes place in a parallel Elseworld.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Trump actually bought that gun and just broke the same law that Hunter Biden was charged with.

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1706374583455019041

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Trump actually bought that gun and just broke the same law that Hunter Biden was charged with.

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1706374583455019041

Now his spokesman is telling a different reporter that he did NOT actually buy the gun after saying that he did.

https://twitter.com/MaryCaitlinByrd/status/1706382760707760189

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ah, i missed the endless parade of trump saying some batshit policy was the law of the land, and the immediate follow up from his aides clarifying that trump didn't actually mean it