Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The invasions are okay as a seasonal gimmick but I hope that they do something to mix it up in the future, maybe some more map features or secrets because it gets a little boring fighting 12 slightly different versions of Baraka. I miss the character towers from MK11, those were a good excuse to grind out some gear and learn a new combo or two.

If they just made them about half as long I think it would be fine. Also, if I could get some of the really nice color palletes they show off instead of the drab brown and orange of this season. I get they're going for a fall motif but I just don't think it looks good on a lot of the characters and want something more colorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Only just got started with the kampaign, but goddamn they really put their whole rear end in there. A lot of effort went into it and it really shows, it's a lot of fun so far.

But yeah, gotta say Fox's Nitara is distractingly bad. Doubly so when she's put next to the actors for Quan Chi and Shang Tsung, who are clearly having a lot of fun with their roles.

e: Just finished it, holy poo poo that was the first game in a long while where I basically sat down and blasted through it in just two days. The final act was incredible, had me giggling the whole time through.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

But yeah, gotta say Fox's Nitara is distractingly bad. Doubly so when she's put next to the actors for Quan Chi and Shang Tsung, who are clearly having a lot of fun with their roles.

Yeah, it was jarring when Nitara started speaking given the massive gulf compared to the other voice acting going on.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKA98tFjzQ

I think it's interesting that a lot of Shujinko's copies are seemingly flat out better than the originals. Shujinko stans feasting?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any tricks for making enhancement easier? I cannot seem to get my head around the timing of the button presses

On ps5 with edge controller I set the travel distance on the trigger to the lowest setting. Very expensive solution, I know. I'd remap it but then I get confused about blocking.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Perestroika posted:

They should replace Nitara with an AI klone of her voice, goddamn it's that bad.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

NRS can do the scummy thing of offering a better voice performance for Nitara as DLC and make a ton of money because yeah, Fox is terrible enough to make me want to pay an additional five dollars to avoid her performance all together

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I swear she just read her lines and emailed them to NRS in a zip file. Her voice acting is so tragically different from the real VAs it's like she was never even in a recording studio.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's good thing the core fighting in this game is so fun, because modes wise it feels a lot more lacking than X or 11. The story mode is pretty good but there's parts about it that bother me. The chapters where you play as a character missing half their moveset for plot reasons are just terrible, and I wish there were chapters where you played as bad guy characters because half the roster in only playable in the final chapter. I also wish the goofy multiverse stuff wasn't limited to the last ten minutes, because everything else is pretty dull unless Shang Tsung is on screen.

Invasions sounded like a good idea, but in practice they're way worse than the Towers and the Krypt. You can get cool stuff from it, sure. The Scorpion skin you get for clearing this season is awesome and makes me want to try learning him. But most characters are just stuck with red-gold palette swaps, and most of them look really bad in those colors. The leveling and elements systems are also weird because they only serve to make things more boring. By the second to last map, I was pretty much invincible, with so much health, defense, and resistances that not even the bosses could get me into Fatal Blow levels. The elemental weaknesses should balance this but just playing normally I got so many of the booster items that I could just ignore that system altogether. Every opponent having super armor on every move ended up just dragging fights out rather than adding any challenge. Johnny Cage in particular could just freely taunt his star meter up whenever he wanted and I could do nothing to stop it, but because of the leveling system his onslaught of shadow kicks did more damage to the timer than my life bar. I ignored the talismans the whole time, too, since none of them seemed at all worth using over just regular fighting. Every fight ended up feeling the same by the end, just a grindy slog.

I did like the fights with secret hints. Those felt enough like a fresh gimmick, even if they all just amount to "use this specific character/fatality". The other minigames were rough. Survive challenges are meaningless thanks to the levels/elements. Just stand there, maybe taunt if you feel like it, it can't kill you. Test your might is fine, just a bit of a personal bugbear from me because I have some joint issues in my right hand and nothing else in the game made them act up. There are some cute easter eggs on the maps, but navigating them is slow as hell. I know it's to facilitate the ambushes, and those are kinda fun little power trips since they never have armor and get blown up in seconds, but backtracking to use a key still takes longer than it feels like it should.

It really sucks that the only thing that survived from the Krypt was the lovely slot machine nobody liked.

But, despite all that, going online is a blast. Every character and kameo is fun as hell, there's so much variety in playstyles, and the air combos feel like they actually add a lot compared to back in the Armageddon days. I keep bouncing back and forth between Reptile and Tanya, but Johnny and Kung Lao also have stuff that I really want to dig into. I dunno how people are picking a single main in this game. They even made Reiko fun to play! It's a good game, I just can't imagine recommending it for the single player stuff unless it's on a deep discount.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I fired this up for the first time today and even though I had a laundry list of kombatants I wanted to test out I went to Reptile while poo poo was installing, then Baraka and lol now I don't want to play anyone else he's too fun. Sorry Shao, Havik, Nitara!

Also while I'm disappointed that Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa didn't reprise his role I feel like NRS went whole hog on making Shang Tsung such a smarmy slimy snake motherfucker even his smirk on the idle page for kostume stuff is solid gold.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s been said a lot, including by myself, but I really wish this had better single player legs than the invasion mode. The rotating towers are very bare bones and nondescript compared to 11 and they all reward the same thing, just little piles of currency. Makes grinding out mastery really uninteresting. Invasion itself is alright but too long and then once you beat it you’re just kinda twiddling your thumbs until the next season.

Making unlockables season specific also makes it less enticing to want to try to get stuff because you’ll probably only want certain ones and the rest are like meh.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Well the flame skin for Sub-Zero is pretty funny

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The achievements in this game are buggy. Just got one for 5 unique encounters while playing story mode. No idea what that means.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There are a couple of things about the end of the story mode that struck me as odd. The first one is the kombat kids getting murked. In the middle of scene with tons of goofy designs getting killed in goofy ways, these four just show up with slightly different colors and get killed in boring ways. They don't even do something as easy as swapping their weapons around or giving one of them glowy eyes or something. My first reaction was that it was just pandering to the worst parts of the MK fanbase, but Takeda's in the kombat pass so I don't think it's that. I think they just thought of a set-up and never came up with a punchline. Really bizarre bit of joylessness in the middle of incredible poo poo like the Cage Trio vs Goro Kahn and STUNG LAO

The other is the stinger, but really that's just I dunno if Havik has the vibe of a good big bad. He's an interesting character, but he never felt like a major villain or even especially intimidating. Worse that the story line made him just a jobber. It could work, but right now it just kinda feels like...this dude? Really?

Now give me all the costumes you showed off in that chapter, Netherrealm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

There are a couple of things about the end of the story mode that struck me as odd. The first one is the kombat kids getting murked. In the middle of scene with tons of goofy designs getting killed in goofy ways, these four just show up with slightly different colors and get killed in boring ways. They don't even do something as easy as swapping their weapons around or giving one of them glowy eyes or something. My first reaction was that it was just pandering to the worst parts of the MK fanbase, but Takeda's in the kombat pass so I don't think it's that. I think they just thought of a set-up and never came up with a punchline. Really bizarre bit of joylessness in the middle of incredible poo poo like the Cage Trio vs Goro Kahn and STUNG LAO

The other is the stinger, but really that's just I dunno if Havik has the vibe of a good big bad. He's an interesting character, but he never felt like a major villain or even especially intimidating. Worse that the story line made him just a jobber. It could work, but right now it just kinda feels like...this dude? Really?

Now give me all the costumes you showed off in that chapter, Netherrealm.

It was 100% to appeal to the terrible part of the fandom, it's like the most weirdly mean-spirited thing to happen in the game. It's just that since it is MK they can have their cake and eat it too by going 'we know these guys suck but if you don't think they suck here they are playable for money!" I mean hell this entire game is "Hey, we know (x) sucks, but we're going to use them anyway and maybe you'll like them this time!"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This is my first Mortal Kombat game, as someone who is pretty bad at SF, Guilty Gear, and Tekken, but at least understands the fundamentals in those.

What are the basics in MK that are part of the fundamentals you have to be able to do to start playing the "real" game?

Just as an example in SF and GG you must be able to anti-air reachable jump-ins or it just becomes your opponent's best neutral skip option and they can keeping doing it with impunity. Or being able to punish a very unsafe move on block like a whiffed DP or super. I'm assuming these are the same in MK from my experience playing so far.

Another franchise specific example would be in Tekken using sidestep even when you are minus to avoid opponent's moves and potentially get a whiff punish. If you don't know how to check this with homing or tracking moves you will just get blown up over and over.

So far in MK I kind of understand how being able to neutral crouch under high attacks and some projectiles lets you respond in a different way than SF, and basic close range mixups of overheads to catch crouch blocking and mid/low to catch neutral crouch.

Any other tips people have?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Well, if the Switch datamining is anything to go by, Cassie and Kung Jin are also seemingly future DLC inclusions, so it'd be even weirder if the end point of all this was solely to dump on Jacqui. Plus, there's apparently that unused variant of the scene where the kids do well in the fight? idk

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

It was 100% to appeal to the terrible part of the fandom, it's like the most weirdly mean-spirited thing to happen in the game. It's just that since it is MK they can have their cake and eat it too by going 'we know these guys suck but if you don't think they suck here they are playable for money!" I mean hell this entire game is "Hey, we know (x) sucks, but we're going to use them anyway and maybe you'll like them this time!"

I'll believe this when they try to sell us Kobra or Hsu Hao in a future Kombat Pack. Madam Bo probably was a decent step, even though I thought people liked regular Bo Rai Cho in MKX.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

I'll believe this when they try to sell us Kobra or Hsu Hao in a future Kombat Pack. Madam Bo probably was a decent step, even though I thought people liked regular Bo Rai Cho in MKX.

They're going to give us Darrius and you know it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As a Kombat Kids liker, I didn't see it as particularly mean-spirited. Maybe it could be read that way, but I just saw it as more comedic than anything in a largely madcap scene. Mortal Kombat as a series is notoriously cruel to its characters, everyone gets a turn being maimed or beheaded in comical ways. Half the cast of this one are rehabbed 3D era losers and nobody seems to mind.

On that note, I finally unlocked a white hatted costume for Ashrah. Are there any that have the gold trim from Deception?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to give us Darrius and you know it.

But that means they're gonna give us his Pikasso fatality in 4K. I think we'd all be here for that, yeah?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The thing that was confusing about it to me was that it wasn't dismissive enough to seem fully spiteful, but it also wasn't anywhere near as slapstick as everything else happening in that scene. I genuinely can't tell what they were thinking beyond maybe "Uh, we had to cut back somewhere and didn't have time for anything else"

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I guess it isn't new for NRS games, but it's wild to me that people who bring setups or tournament organizers might need to speedrun unlocks for almost 3 hours a pop just to get everything. As someone who brings a setup to locals each week, it was quite tedious to slog through invasion mode to get a profile level of 25. I know I could've either paid $20 (lmao) or played normally to naturally get to level 25, but that would've taken a LOT longer than spamming the same fight in invasion for a couple hours. I couldn't just take my time when people are relying on my unlocks. I found this post pretty helpful if you're in the same boat. https://twitter.com/Jebailey/status/1703218269044252964
All in all I'm enjoying myself and don't regret getting MK1, but it baffles me there isn't your standard custom rooms/lobbies either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This reminds me of MK9 tournaments where Quan Chi players would have to spend an hour racing through the campaign to unlock him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

As a Kombat Kids liker, I didn't see it as particularly mean-spirited. Maybe it could be read that way, but I just saw it as more comedic than anything in a largely madcap scene. Mortal Kombat as a series is notoriously cruel to its characters, everyone gets a turn being maimed or beheaded in comical ways. Half the cast of this one are rehabbed 3D era losers and nobody seems to mind.

On that note, I finally unlocked a white hatted costume for Ashrah. Are there any that have the gold trim from Deception?

That's actually why it feels weirdly mean spirited to me. MK1 put a lot of effort into trying to 'redeem' jobber characters. Baraka and Reptile both got great showings. And the rest of the fights up to that point have some comedy but it feels like actual comedy. Like the Alt-Johnnies getting pulled into the pit in the background after their big heroic moment was genuinely funny!

I admit the whole Liu Kang appears to dislike children and has gone out of his way to try to prevent several major character's children from ever being born thing sits weirdly with me. Maybe the DLC will make it feel less weird that Liu's strategy for avoiding child tragedy is making sure people never meet and have kids between Hanzo being a youngin' and Sonya being Miss Not Appearing In This Game, not to mention Jax and Kenshi going off to start their own Men In Black org instead though I guess that doesn't prevent kids technically.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Crowetron posted:

Invasions sounded like a good idea, but in practice they're way worse than the Towers and the Krypt. You can get cool stuff from it, sure. The Scorpion skin you get for clearing this season is awesome and makes me want to try learning him. But most characters are just stuck with red-gold palette swaps, and most of them look really bad in those colors. The leveling and elements systems are also weird because they only serve to make things more boring. By the second to last map, I was pretty much invincible, with so much health, defense, and resistances that not even the bosses could get me into Fatal Blow levels. The elemental weaknesses should balance this but just playing normally I got so many of the booster items that I could just ignore that system altogether. Every opponent having super armor on every move ended up just dragging fights out rather than adding any challenge. Johnny Cage in particular could just freely taunt his star meter up whenever he wanted and I could do nothing to stop it, but because of the leveling system his onslaught of shadow kicks did more damage to the timer than my life bar. I ignored the talismans the whole time, too, since none of them seemed at all worth using over just regular fighting. Every fight ended up feeling the same by the end, just a grindy slog.

I did like the fights with secret hints. Those felt enough like a fresh gimmick, even if they all just amount to "use this specific character/fatality". The other minigames were rough. Survive challenges are meaningless thanks to the levels/elements. Just stand there, maybe taunt if you feel like it, it can't kill you. Test your might is fine, just a bit of a personal bugbear from me because I have some joint issues in my right hand and nothing else in the game made them act up. There are some cute easter eggs on the maps, but navigating them is slow as hell. I know it's to facilitate the ambushes, and those are kinda fun little power trips since they never have armor and get blown up in seconds, but backtracking to use a key still takes longer than it feels like it should.

This really summed up how I felt about Invasions. Picking Reptile was kind of a joke because most of the c(k)ast is weak to acid damage, so right out the gate I was doing hilarious damage. By the time I got to level 20, I was doing combos that were upwards of 1200 damage. Literal touch of death in some fights. Like you said, some fights just sucked because of the armor. Johnny Cage was terrible about it. Only once did I have to switch character and it was for one of those projectile things that was hitting my heavy weakness and I had yet to get many of the resistance things.

I wish you would get more skins and gear for leveling up a character. Didn't get anything cool for Reptile until level like 20 when I got a super hero-esc outfit for him in green.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dumb plothole question maybe

Liu Kang says like "OH NO ANOTHER DEADLY ALLIANCE?!"

But he shouldn't have any memory of DA because everything post-MK3 effectively got time-wiped by Raiden, right?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Crowetron posted:

The thing that was confusing about it to me was that it wasn't dismissive enough to seem fully spiteful, but it also wasn't anywhere near as slapstick as everything else happening in that scene. I genuinely can't tell what they were thinking beyond maybe "Uh, we had to cut back somewhere and didn't have time for anything else"

theres a deleted scene of those 4 wrecking house on other alts prior to the one thats in the game, which seems like it would make the more brutal follow up land better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

But he shouldn't have any memory of DA because everything post-MK3 effectively got time-wiped by Raiden, right?

The dude literally became guardian of time, he probably looked back and saw the previous timelines sometime during his planning spree.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Urethane posted:

This is my first Mortal Kombat game, as someone who is pretty bad at SF, Guilty Gear, and Tekken, but at least understands the fundamentals in those.

What are the basics in MK that are part of the fundamentals you have to be able to do to start playing the "real" game?

Just as an example in SF and GG you must be able to anti-air reachable jump-ins or it just becomes your opponent's best neutral skip option and they can keeping doing it with impunity. Or being able to punish a very unsafe move on block like a whiffed DP or super. I'm assuming these are the same in MK from my experience playing so far.

Another franchise specific example would be in Tekken using sidestep even when you are minus to avoid opponent's moves and potentially get a whiff punish. If you don't know how to check this with homing or tracking moves you will just get blown up over and over.

So far in MK I kind of understand how being able to neutral crouch under high attacks and some projectiles lets you respond in a different way than SF, and basic close range mixups of overheads to catch crouch blocking and mid/low to catch neutral crouch.

Any other tips people have?

There's a lot that makes MK unique from other 2D fighters, but as always, the frame data tells the whole story. In this game ~almost~ everything that is -7f on block is considered safe, in that most characters cannot punish you for throwing it out. There are a couple exceptions like Li Mei's metered reversal or Kung Lao's 1, but it helps to know that when looking at all the input data. So when I'm picking up a character for the first time the things I look for are...

1. What strings are safe on block (-7f or less)
2. What buttons are plus on block
3. What's my fastest jab to poke out of stuff (usually D1)
4. What's my rangiest poke from neutral
5. What's my fastest advancing mid (mids are king in MK)
6. What are my overhead/low mixups and combo starters (not all characters have both)
7. What's my best anti-air option (different for every character but usually a DP or standing 1)
8. What is my armored wakeup move

Lots more to that obviously and kameos add a whole other layer but if you study those for a couple minutes then you can generally get the sense of a character and their options without knowing too much about their combo structure.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 23, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sockser posted:

I was about to logic it out that somehow the knowledge had transferred between Raidens and then would be given to Liu Kang but whoops I've gone crosseyed

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well that story was gloriusly batshit.

Quantum Chi and Screen Demon were grade A puns

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot that makes MK unique from other 2D fighters, but as always, the frame data tells the whole story. In this game ~almost~ everything that is -7f on block is considered safe, in that most characters cannot punish you for throwing it out. There are a couple exceptions like Li Mei's metered reversal or Kung Lao's 1, but it helps to know that when looking at all the input data. So when I'm picking up a character for the first time the things I look for are...

6. What are my overhead/low mixups and combo starters (not all characters have both)
7. What's my best anti-air option (different for every character but usually a DP or standing 1)

Lots more to that obviously and kameos add a whole other layer but if you study those for a couple minutes then you can generally get the sense of a character and their options without knowing too much about their combo structure.

This is a good post. One general thing I will add is that throws in this game are considered highs so they can be ducked. However if the person ducking blocks or tries an attack you can still throw them. This can be very useful against people who try to D1 to steal turns.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So are we thinking that for the DLC, Ermac will be (story spoilers) Jerrod or his usual WE ARE MANY schtick

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

This is great thank you! Is the part about mids are king related to the neutral crouch vs crouch block differences for throw teching as mentioned?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Regarding that particular scene from the end of story mode:

There's leaked footage of the Kombat Kids getting a much more ominous introduction to the fight, including each one of them casually mowing down a dozen or so other Order of Light fighters. My guess is that they were supposed to be a shock entrance gauntlet fight, like Raiden vs. the recently-deceased fighters in MK9, but NRS ran out of time and we got what we got.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's kind of funny Ed Boon being such an MCU fan when he works for Warner Brothers. Especially since he's one of the reasons they can't sell their game business.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

man nurse posted:

So are we thinking that for the DLC, Ermac will be (story spoilers) Jerrod or his usual WE ARE MANY schtick

Im betting the Jerrod side of things. Midway/NRS was never able to play with that angle before.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Story Mode was great, lots of setup then it paid off incredibly well in the last chapter for all the reasons people have covered. Top shelf nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

It's probably going to be the former since all the endings are 'canon' and Jerrod and his wife are chillin' out inside their new corpse body at the end.