Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah, not hesitating doesn't mean risking death for no reason. I always ran or teleported back to the idol if I died to some random mook while there was still exploring to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Steve Yun posted:

Ok finally picked this up because it was on sale

Getting used to the very different combat and traversal

So far I’ve been getting by by sneaking up on a dude, assassinating him, jumping on a roof and waiting for the other grunts to lose interest and calm down, then sneaking up on the next target, repeat

Will I be hosed against bosses if I don’t practice head to head battle? There’s a Shinobi hunter with a spear, practice swordplay or poke his unsuspecting butt?

You will for sure need to learn to fight head to head. Stealth is useful for starting some fights, and can get you one free deathblow, but that’s usually it.

Here are some differences from previous games you should be aware of:

When learning boss timings, it is literally a rhythm game. You will meet a mini boss later (& even later, a twin of that boss), that opens with a huge flurry of attacks. It’s super aggressive. But it is also one of the more obvious examples of what I mean by rhythm game. The deflect sequence is: 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4-5 then it backs up to do an unblockable, which can be jumped over. Deflecting that sequence twice builds up enough posture damage to get a Deathblow, making what seems like a super aggressive, super difficult boss into a chump.

If you are struggling with anything, I can practically guarantee that the problem is you are not being aggressive enough. Playing defensively in Sekiro will get you killed. A certain NPC will remind you of this every time you encounter them. The answer is always: “be more aggressive” with few exceptions.

You have NO stamina bar! That means: keep attacking. You don’t have to watch the bar and wait for it to refill. Keep attacking. Be relentless. This also means: infinite sprinting. For later game bosses: you should pretty much Always Be Sprinting.

If you were a parry player in previous games, the main difference here is: size no longer matters. You can parry everyone and everything, even massive bosses. Parrying is THE core mechanic in Sekiro, and while dodge is good for a couple of things, it is not anywhere near as useful as parry. Several enemy attacks which get the Unblockable symbol are still parryable.

Hesitation is defeat.

Good luck, John Sekiro.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay it turns out you can’t poke Shinobi hunter in the butt twice. Either he is on full alert forever against the second butt poke or he resets to two red dots. I understand, I’d be on alert forever after a butt poke. Pretty good way to gatekeep learning mikiri.

I died against him several times trying to figure out when to mikiri, wore down his posture slowly, finally got it right when I was down to a sliver of health and finished him off

The defeat/success cycle begins anew

Fought shirtless guy with big club, met dad, fell into the river, stumbled into a cave passageway into the middle of the estate fire, i don’t think this is the path the dad told me to take, but bumbling around in the wrong path is a common thing for me. Found a statue, gonna call it a night.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing to bear in mind about the estate is that it's one of two paths available in the early game and it's actually the harder one, so if you get brickwalled there for a while you can just go back to Ashina and make progress there for a bit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steve Yun posted:

Okay it turns out you can’t poke Shinobi hunter in the butt twice. Either he is on full alert forever against the second butt poke or he resets to two red dots. I understand, I’d be on alert forever after a butt poke. Pretty good way to gatekeep learning mikiri.

This is standard for bosses btw - their aggro resetting also restores any removed deathblows. It means that you can only use stealth to open the battle and after that you need to face them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I might go back to main path. While I was exploring the cliff around the river I ran into a purple swordsman that handed my rear end to me

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The purple swordsman is far stronger than anything else in that area. You don't need to fight him but he guards a key item you can get now or later.

(You don't actually have to fight him at all. He drops nothing and you can grab the treasure in the pagoda behind him if you are quick)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

e: missed the last post on this lol. In general the stealth aspect of this game I'd say is mostly just for the sections between bosses (which are usually relatively easy), the real meat is in bossfights where you need to use swordplay.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2023

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Steve Yun posted:

What cowardice is this? Go figure out Mikiri Counter on Hanbei The Undying, then go chump that Shinobi Hunter like the punkass that he is.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Shinobi hunter is a bit rough as a mikiri trainer because his are so delayed compared to everyone else in the game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Progress report

Beat ogre by setting him on fire a few times and getting some whacks in, never could get the hook shot in time

Beat the samurai general by climbing on a roof, waiting for him to swing and dropping down to get some whacks, jumping back on the roof and repeating

Currently playing peekaboo with a snake

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Progress report

Been banging my head against a wall with horse guy for the past 24 hours. A dozen battles where I got tantalizingly close and losing

Just now realized that after hookshooting him, firecracker then slashing is waaaay more effective than slashing first. I thought firecracker was just for openings after his big attacks.

Beat him right after making this realization.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Firecrackers are honestly kinda broken in that they interrupt nearly every single enemy in the game including bosses. They are my crutch even in NG+4 demon bell/charmless and I’m honestly considering doing a no tools run next time I play. God I love this game

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They don't play the same at all, but the only thing I've repeatedly NG+'d as many times as Sekiro is Horizon Zero Dawn. There's kind of an abstract common element between them in how you gradually build knowledge and familiarity with even the most basic enemies until you can dismantle them effortlessly via a combination of precision and using the right tools.

And if you want the equivalent of going charmless for HZD, you can mod it to completely remove bullet time: https://www.nexusmods.com/horizonzerodawn/mods/65

While I have finished both Horizon games, I would say they are nothing similar to Sekiro so not sure what you mean but also the person you responded to didn't really say what part of Sekiro they enjoyed so fair enough you might have some point although I don't see it.

I would say it depends what you liked about Sekiro if you like the fast paced action combat and reaction test, just try other action games like DMC, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Reveangeance. Some of those actually have parry mechanics some don't but they do test your reactions and the gameplay is faster than Sekiro. There are also streamlined like Sekiro, most regular enemies are not that hard you can style on them but the big moments are with the bosses where you really get tested. I know Sekiro has some really tough regular mobs but I would say the highlight is the crazy difficult bosses. Wolong is basically Team Ninja's concept on Sekiro, some people hate it but I think it's very good, definitely not on Sekiro's level overall but it has some good highs like the Lu Bu boss fight is up there with Guardian Ape, Genichiro 2nd time for me in terms of difficulty. And Wolong is completely based on parrying.

I haven't played Sifu yet but that does look like it could be similar to Sekiro.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
gently caress these nightjar guys

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress these nightjar guys

Dont neglect your shinobi tools. Use whatever to get the job done. Shurikens for example are great for interrupting enemies forcing them to stay still. (Make sure to unlock the chasing slice skill)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeaaaah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trademark Fromsoft trolling:

Bumped into another purple guy. There was an option to talk, so I talked to him. He says he’s looking for a shinobi. I say good luck I hope you find him, and I start walking away

Wait a sec, he says…

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also the kites were a good prank

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ulio posted:

Wolong is basically Team Ninja's concept on Sekiro

I was hoping it would be (as described to me) The Sekiro We Have At Home, and while there was some fun there it went way too hard into DS2 territory and I bounced off a few bosses in. The recently released Lies of P has that too - brilliant moments at some points and then right back to weird arrhythmic attacks with a million frames of windup and two frames of parry availability. A couple of bombcasts ago there was a quote that probably best describes it that went something like "When I missed a parry I didn't feel like I failed a challenge, I felt like I was tricked".

One of the things Wolong did make me appreciate that I never even thought about was how wonderful the Mikiri counter is. It has a pretty big window, which is good because you're looking at a flat screen and judging a distance on a thrust based on tiny pixel differences would suck. Of course they also have exaggerated thrust animations but it still feels better to see it coming and react than just happen to guess how far away something is.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Mailer posted:

I was hoping it would be (as described to me) The Sekiro We Have At Home, and while there was some fun there it went way too hard into DS2 territory and I bounced off a few bosses in. The recently released Lies of P has that too - brilliant moments at some points and then right back to weird arrhythmic attacks with a million frames of windup and two frames of parry availability. A couple of bombcasts ago there was a quote that probably best describes it that went something like "When I missed a parry I didn't feel like I failed a challenge, I felt like I was tricked".

The thing about Lies of P is it's not really built around having to parry everything they way Sekiro and Wo Long are. Leaning on the rally mechanic to heal your chip damage after blocking is pretty viable, at least with weapons that have a high guard rating. There are also lots of situations where it's much more advantageous to dodge, either because it's just easier, or because blocking some attacks pushes you out of counterattack range or leaves you with recovery time. It's generally pretty easy to just sprint out of range of any particularly difficult red attacks or fast combo strings too. Sekiro punishes you pretty hard for this because it meast you lose a lot of ground on the enemy's posture meter, but that's not really the case in Lies of P.

I absolutely keep trying to play it like Sekiro and eating poo poo though.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Also the kites were a good prank

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I've just downloaded LoP and I'll start it soon but I'll definitely say that spacing and deadzoning enemy attacks is a huge part of Dark Souls and Bloodborne and ER combat. Hell my prefered way of beating Margit and Mohg, when I see particular attacks, I literally run around them and they can't hit me, and I can charge up a full R2 punish.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lies of P is the best souls-like put out by someone who isn't FromSoft that I've played but I was bummed parrying didn't work more like Sekiro and the combat is more like old Souls. The staggering and visceral are both worse mechanically and feeling than in Bloodborne and Elden Ring and I don't really feel like I can take over a boss fight like you can once you figure out that Elden Ring's stagger system rewards aggression (wonder if they would've had jumping if they went into development later). I figure they'd at least make the sounds when you parry/stagger/etc close to par with FromSoft's but it's very weak in comparison in my opinion.

Might be unfair to compare to the best to do it but the combat (thus far anyway) lacks the fluidity that Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring have. Maybe it'll click later and I won't feel that way. Certainly makes me want to replay those three games though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lies of P looks incredibly promising but in this case I feel more than fine waiting for it to go on sale and seeing if it gets a little more post-release balancing, it sounds like the game could do with a slightly more forgiving perfect parry at least?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Lies of P looks incredibly promising but in this case I feel more than fine waiting for it to go on sale and seeing if it gets a little more post-release balancing, it sounds like the game could do with a slightly more forgiving perfect parry at least?

Sort of. There's a quirk to the parry windows that I think is tripping lots of people up. In Sekiro, you tap the parry button and get the full, fairly generous parry window. In Lies of P, the parry window is tied more directly to the actual blocking animation, so if you tap the button, you only get part of the parry window. If you press and hold it, on the other hand, you get the full window.

It felt a lot more forgiving and consistent once I tried that. Plus, even if you miss the parry doing it that way, you're still blocking and can heal the chip damage you take by attacking.

It could maybe be a hair more forgiving, tbh, but I think the tap vs hold thing is making it seem way harder than it is for a lot of people.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sort of. There's a quirk to the parry windows that I think is tripping lots of people up. In Sekiro, you tap the parry button and get the full, fairly generous parry window. In Lies of P, the parry window is tied more directly to the actual blocking animation, so if you tap the button, you only get part of the parry window. If you press and hold it, on the other hand, you get the full window.

This was a big part of the pain of playing it. I was a few bosses in before I found that one out and the game... isn't exactly forthcoming on the mechanics.

I'm 50/50 on it so far. It's got some of the insane blademaster feel from Sekiro as you parry bullet and wreck a guy, but it also has the Dark2 "lol sometimes that attack has an immediate followup because gently caress you". It feels great to hold up your sword and stuff a big attack but so many of those big attacks are nonsensical in an effort to dick with you, the player. It's absolutely the best non-From souls game and gets a lot of things right but it also suffers from a lot of the dumb souls meme stuff with the difficulty.

Bloodborne was the opposite of dark2, and Sekiro was this amazing thing that stands alone in its own little universe, so I don't see anyone really replicating those any time soon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Progress report

Beat drunk giant on first try, feeling proud.

I still suck at point blank combat, so I’ve been backstabbing the blue samurai instead of fighting them. There was one fucker I couldn’t sneak up on because he was in a little room and I couldn’t jump on him from the hole in the roof. Figured I’d open the door, and even if he killed me I could lure him out in a subsequent run and circle around behind him to backstab. Discovered that you can’t get hurt while you’re opening a door.

Currently stuck between several brick walls: blue boss samurai, spear samurai by the sea, purple ninja in the sewers and Lady Butterfly

Yes I know I need to stop being a coward and go face to face and treat it like a rhythm game, I’m just seeing how much I can explore before I cup my balls and jump off the cliff as the Italians say

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Currently stuck between several brick walls: blue boss samurai, spear samurai by the sea, purple ninja in the sewers and Lady Butterfly

If by blue boss samurai you mean Ashina Elite they're easy once you get the timing on the deflects down - a successful attempt takes <15 seconds. There's a glint on their hilt right before they draw and the two strikes are always the same. Of the walls you hit (and I had a hard time with all of those first time through) it's by far the easiest.

https://streamable.com/9ub38s

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 24, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

If by blue boss samurai you mean Ashina Elite they're easy once you get the timing on the deflects down - a successful attempt takes <15 seconds. There's a glint on their hilt right before they draw and the two strikes are always the same. Of the walls you hit (and I had a hard time with all of those first time through) it's by far the easiest.

https://streamable.com/9ub38s

The umbrella also completely trivializes him because the parry window on it is large enough that it actually catches both strikes with one press.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I've tried Sekiro many, many times and could never get into it. I picked up Lies of P for its Bloodborne vibes, and partway through the whole "parry" element it had clicked with me and I decided to give Sekiro another try...

Well, the first boss is down after two attempts (never even gotten to him before lmao) and the Blazing Bull right after went down after three. I don't know if I'll keep on this or go back to Lies of P to finish up, or alternate between them, but really enjoying the combat now that it's clicked for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SerSpook posted:

I've tried Sekiro many, many times and could never get into it. I picked up Lies of P for its Bloodborne vibes, and partway through the whole "parry" element it had clicked with me and I decided to give Sekiro another try...

Well, the first boss is down after two attempts (never even gotten to him before lmao) and the Blazing Bull right after went down after three. I don't know if I'll keep on this or go back to Lies of P to finish up, or alternate between them, but really enjoying the combat now that it's clicked for me.

I think you can kinda play Dark Souls in Sekiro until you hit Genichiro the 2nd time. That's the big moment where the game tells you how it wants you to play, basically all parries all the time and not even attacking that much. After that the game will kinda force you to play to it's rules as the bosses get much harder and if you get past Genichiro you have passed the skill test required to beat the game.

Also https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/1706458578226467282

Sekiro has now sold 10m copies since release. Quite impressive since this game usually doesn't go for lower than $33, is a new ip, has reputation for being brutal even among souls vet. I really feel like From have kinda perfected the souls formula but there are areas in Sekiro where they could improve so I would love them to take another shot. The emblem system at launch was very unbalanced and a lot of the skill tree was not usable. They probably have a Elden Ring 2 after the DLC for that but I hope Sekiro has one more game in the future just to see how much more crazier they can get with the bosses now they already have a foundation for the gameplay.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I would happily trade Elden Ring 2 and the DLC for more Sekiro

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

same

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

U-DO Burger posted:

:emptyquote:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

Fuckin same

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sekiro was my first fromsoft game and goddamn do I love it. ER was fun and I'll probably beat it at some point, but there's something about the flow state this game elicits that can't be matched.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

that's right

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Parallelwoody posted:

there's something about the flow state this game elicits that can't be matched.
This 100%, best flow state in a single player game that I can remember.

I’m playing Lies of P right now and it’s shockingly good for a souls clone but still has very little on the feel of Sekiro combat even if it borrows heavily on the parry side. The polish on tiny details in Sekiro really matter a lot and I’m seeing the cracks in Lies of P with their absence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Sekiro and Elden Ring are my joint favourite FromSoft game but I think I agree. :hai: