Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Also if anyone wants to post a new thread or has PQ updates for the first post let me know. Happy to facilitate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Classic rangers don't get SoW until level 39. You've been warned.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not only am i gonna run slow because sow is at 39, i'm gonna run even slower than that because i'll be encumbered wearing 2/3 of a suit of banded as a wood elf or something

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
last I checked, I think some of the spell shuffling QOL from Velious(?) will be available at launch.

for my side, I'm trying to set up a static 4 man leveling group with some friends with no melees since they're gonna be so awful. haven't quite figured out what yet, maybe SHM/NEC/MAG/WIZ ? dunno

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 23, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

cmdrk posted:

last I checked, I think some of the spell shuffling QOL from Velious(?) will be available at launch.

for my side, I'm trying to set up a static 4 man leveling group with some friends with no melees since they're gonna be so awful. haven't quite figured out what yet, maybe SHM/NEC/MAG/WIZ ? dunno

Druid over wiz if you want ports, snare, enc over wiz for damage, imo.

Wiz is just kind of a bad class outside raid targets imo.

Actually, I'd probably go druid/enc/shm/nec and go for charm friendly areas, though that might not be as viable on p99 as live/tlp.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Druid over wiz if you want ports, snare, enc over wiz for damage, imo.

Wiz is just kind of a bad class outside raid targets imo.

Actually, I'd probably go druid/enc/shm/nec and go for charm friendly areas, though that might not be as viable on p99 as live/tlp.

yeah, that's very true. we want to go charm-free, sword-and-board free. just because we've done it to death. i know WIZ is bad but someone found the idea of bein semi-afk and blowing the mana tank between bowls appealing :shrug:

edit: in any case, druid might be nice just to PL something later once we have cash.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 23, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

3 mages and a druid for ports

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Druid mage necro bard would kill absolutely anything anywhere at any level

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Meatgrinder posted:

That's the one

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

edit: in any case, druid might be nice just to PL something later once we have cash.

I'd bet a druid who casts DS and dumps mana between bowls is probably as good as a wizard until kunark.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

cmdrk posted:

2 magicians, a wizard and an enchanter.

Currently playing in a mage static group on Blue (with one Necro) and it absolutely dogpiles on a bunch of early content.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

would you use the bard in melee or just dance in the back while the pets do their thing?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'd bet a druid who casts DS and dumps mana between bowls is probably as good as a wizard until kunark.

but what about those innate wizard crits QOL?! yeah, you're right.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

2 magicians, a wizard and an enchanter.

Currently playing in a mage static group on Blue (with one Necro) and it absolutely dogpiles on a bunch of early content.

no sow?!?! guess we're camping jboots first.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well hold on, I am also planning on camping jboots

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

cmdrk posted:

would you use the bard in melee or just dance in the back while the pets do their thing?

In that group configuration the bard provides travel speed, melee dps and tanking early on, pulling, CC and charm dps a little later on, mob debuffing / fear / aoe throughout and efficient downtime reduction from mid 30s onwards. There's really no "or" here, everyone in the group has some cc, travel/pull, manaregen, single target and aoe dps etc. The bard is key to changing it up to whatever the situation requires.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

cmdrk posted:

but what about those innate wizard crits QOL?! yeah, you're right.

no sow?!?! guess we're camping jboots first.

True heads just buy sow pots, imho.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

In that group configuration the bard provides travel speed, melee dps and tanking early on, pulling, CC and charm dps a little later on, mob debuffing / fear / aoe throughout and efficient downtime reduction from mid 30s onwards. There's really no "or" here, everyone in the group has some cc, travel/pull, manaregen, single target and aoe dps etc. The bard is key to changing it up to whatever the situation requires.

This. Active bard players can do everything and the good ones can determine what the best thing to do is based on camp/group/needs/etc.

Shaman and druid are kind of like this as well, necto too but less so.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
So I've been making CONTENT about this dead game for old people and it's been pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6SK9u_ER7o

I also just got my hands on a white scale and am working on the bard epic. My bard is still in UNKNOWN GUILD from years and years ago.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Project Quarm status: maybe wait a day or several before checking it out

concurrent players was around 2000 before servers went down a bit ago

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 1, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's a planes of power server right? Is it going a progression thing like p99 Green did or is it launching into pop?

I've actually never played past Velious... Does that era still feel suitably harsh/classic Everquest?

edit: yeah i need to get in on this. holy poo poo

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 1, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sankis posted:

That's a planes of power server right? Is it going a progression thing like p99 Green did or is it launching into pop?

I've actually never played past Velious... Does that era still feel suitably harsh/classic Everquest?

I never played post Velious for the longest time until I started playing on Agnarr (PoP locked live server) with some friends.

PoP and Luclin are cool and fun. Lots of interesting zones and raids. Tons of new gear, quests, etc. And its not so radically different than the previous stuff other than having a travel hub and the bazaar.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's based on the TAKP EQMac code, but they will be doing time locked progression, 6mo per expansion, starting at vanilla classic and ending with PoP.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422162

I wasn't a fan of Luclin and quit during that expansion originally, partially because I didn't like the power creep and requirement to keep grinding after 60 that came with AAs. But I know lots of people love them and I bet I would be a fan now if I had time to play.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 2, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

yeah i need to get in on this poo poo holy crap

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
servers finally up maybe.

in as Greenbean, HFL DRU.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
I'm hoping to get in as either a WIZ or a MAG whenever the server stops being locked for being too popular. Had a MAG on TAKP proper and had a great time with it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PrinnySquad posted:

I'm hoping to get in as either a WIZ or a MAG whenever the server stops being locked for being too popular. Had a MAG on TAKP proper and had a great time with it.

MAG should be very good in this era. WIZ do have the out-of-era (PoP) innate crits at launch. if you can get jboots for quadding you’ll be in good shape.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Finally got in and a crisis of caster and ended up making a DEF NEC, will be in sporadically as Spirit

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I made a Erudite Paladin on Quarm because I've never played a non-evil Erudite and I hate myself.

Why is nobody looting anything?! It's a brand new server :psyduck:

Also people are selling bone chips to vendors and I went from level 2 to 4 and made 4 plat in two minutes on turn-ins.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
FOMO dip shits bad at thing? Never thought it would come to this!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the wait for quarm to launch on the weekend meant i sold like 40 stacks of bone chips to confused people who thought takp was quarm

it wasnt a lot of plat though but i wish them the best

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I made a slew of new chars on Quarm, but started playing as a Ranger (Imladris) as I've never played one before.

We've got a Quarm channel on on the Goon Emulated EQ Discord if anyone wants to get together: https://discord.gg/4yycvzh

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I made a slew of new chars on Quarm, but started playing as a Ranger (Imladris) as I've never played one before.

We've got a Quarm channel on on the Goon Emulated EQ Discord if anyone wants to get together: https://discord.gg/4yycvzh

you absolute madman, ranger on fresh

i joined even though im staying on takp

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

blatman posted:

you absolute madman, ranger on fresh

i joined even though im staying on takp

There's no hybrid exp penalty on here IIRC. It was one of two classes I'd never tried yet.

My other option was a Wizard.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did they ever add a spell that functioned like ranger tracking? I always liked being able to see what was popped in a given zone

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did they ever add a spell that functioned like ranger tracking? I always liked being able to see what was popped in a given zone

I don’t think so, but you can at least fake it as a pet class by trying to force your pet to target the mob by using its name in the macro.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ChairmanMauzer posted:

There's no hybrid exp penalty on here IIRC. It was one of two classes I'd never tried yet.

My other option was a Wizard.

honestly i think it owns and i'd like to live vicariously through your stories if you stick with it to cap

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I've been leveling a druid on green, currently level 26. Been soloing around ekarana (crag spiders) and skarana (KFC) if anybody wants to group up for some exp :) Name is Tollumink, send me a tell if ya see me online

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What are the big differences between P99 and Quarm? Aside from the obvious expansion stuff.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Sankis posted:

What are the big differences between P99 and Quarm? Aside from the obvious expansion stuff.

Quarm is built off the TAKP code base which was harvested from a the Al'Kabor Macintosh server that Sony left at PoP for like a decade for whatever reason. So instead of being a newer EQ client trying to emulate old EQ, it is much more just "old EQ". As far as more tangible things, per their Discord.

quote:

MGBs at level 1, and other 'TAKP-like' features are enabled selectively. For example, Monk AC is in its 'pre-nerf' state.

So for a list of more codified things I'd reference:
https://wiki.takp.info/index.php/Server_Comparison#TAKP_Server_Source_vs_EQ_Emu

And of course the big thing is going up to PoP.

quote:

Time-Locked Progression Server - 9 Months of Classic, 9 Months of Kunark, 9 Months of Velious, 9 Months of Luclin, Planes of Power final expansion.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 3, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Always thought it was hosed up they didn't make the gods look like they did in the instruction manual in the later expansions. Bertoxxulous looks so much cooler there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sankis posted:

P99 has roughly a decade + of support (if you can call it that). The server works and has guilds and a specific culture that is attached to it.

TAKP has something similar, albeit a much different culture, especially as it goes for raiding and boxing.

Time will tell if Quarm will realize the “dream” of a single box emu with a PoP era timeline. I certainly considered setting up a box with a similar rule set but working with project eq source files. The dev, secrets, is notable for: 1) technical prowess and 2) moving on from projects. Hope there is a support enough team to keep the project going.