Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lmao some amazing footwork at the bottom end of juryo fight between takakento and shimanoumi, the ending was basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I always forget how this goes, has the Makushita playoff happened yet or is that later?

Edit: ah looks like it's already done, I always get confused because it is neither after the Makushita schedule nor is it at the end of the day, it's for some reason after Juryo. (Looks like all the lower divisions playoffs are after Juryo, there was also a Jonidan playoff)

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 24, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
hahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
:smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
hahahahahahaha it turns out he has a second trick after all

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Average Lettuce posted:

I don't get the Takakeisho hate. He might be a one trick pony, but it's still pretty amazing to see him at full strength. He will never be my favourite (nor will Daeisho) but I find a dominating Takakeisho satisfying to watch.

I do now :mad:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
final result spoiler: lol that loving sucked

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

the salt in MidnightSumo chat is unreal, and hilarious. what an end to the basho.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Final round: that was a goddamned matta, his hands never got NEAR the dohyo before he did that poo poo, shimpan are asleep

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Everyone mad about a henka to win has become the Meddling Old Men who derided it and honourphiles. it owns.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lid posted:

Everyone mad about a henka to win has become the Meddling Old Men who derided it and honourphiles. it owns.

As Hak said "Yokozuna sumo is winning sumo." Atamifuji was nervous as hell, so Takakeisho played him.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shodai.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shodai.

Would I have wanted a better playoff match? Of course. But Atomic Fuji was obviously deep in his own head, and Takakeisho took full advantage.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

:downs:

But I'm happy he won, I don't really like when rikishi who have a soft schedule throughout win the yusho.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Atamifuji had an incredible basho and has nothing to be ashamed of. I hope that this performance was not an outlier, but rather just a hint of what to look forward to from him.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
lmao Takakeisho doesn't give a gently caress I love him.

Was hoping for Takayasu to make the playoffs but I'm still proud of him.

Shonannoumi was the only one of my boys to go makekoshi.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Cannot stop laughing at the finale. The way Takakeisho held his fist out a couple of times just to throw Atamifuji off was some top tier gamesmanship.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
https://twitter.com/sasurai50731449/status/1705875861168373789

Another Ukranian recruit on the left there, Aonishiki (Ajigawa-beya, if it isn't obvious from the name), who finished with a 3-0 Maezumo record and will be actually fighting next basho. Other wrestler is Yamada, who finished Maezumo 0-3, and I don't know anything else about him.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Archenteron posted:

Final round: that was a goddamned matta, his hands never got NEAR the dohyo before he did that poo poo, shimpan are asleep

This rule really never seems to be enforced if both rikishi actually commit. Onosho almost never touches the dirt.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

This rule really never seems to be enforced if both rikishi actually commit. Onosho almost never touches the dirt.

There was a while there in like 2018 or 2019 that they were suddenly enforcing it really strictly and it was wasting a bunch of time, Takakeisho has trouble actually touching the dohyo anyway cuz of his build

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bentai posted:

Would I have wanted a better playoff match? Of course. But Atomic Fuji was obviously deep in his own head, and Takakeisho took full advantage.

Yeah, the whole pre-fight ritual Atami couldn't even look at Keisho. He was clearly nervous as hell and didn't have a plan. Can't really blame him on that stage - it was the biggest fight of his career up to this point. I'm not mad at Takakeisho but I definitely yelled "are you loving kidding me" when it happened.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shodai.

I get why people are mad. i think getting mad at henkas during normal matches is dumb, but I understand it a lot more for a playoff when there's hype built up and people are expecting a match where both rikishi get to try their hardest for the cup. That said, even though I was rooting for Atamifuji, that was hilarious.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Kenning posted:

In conclusion,

Hakkeyoi!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What a loving basho

The finals was whatever but that whole basho was awesome start to finish

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It was dirty but not exactly a henka, takaieshos two moves are he either body slams you head on or he does a slapdown, he just began with a slapdown.

Mind you I did shout "Oh you dirty bastard!" when he did it.

Also lol I didn't even entertain for a second that Takayasu wouldn't bottle it cause that's his whole deal, pretty good performance though.

Man I was shouting at Hokuseiho "watch his tricky leg! I told you bro!" vs Hoshoryu, the Mongolians all have tricky legs

Fun basho, Hokuseiho seemed to learn how to sumo after losing to Midorifuji, who himself seemed to realise he can just use that shoulder pull down on everyone (for now).

Daeisho looking good, he's really maturing and going from a guy who just pushes to a guy with a bit more flexibility, him and Takayasu are both best when they pace themselves and act cautiously but both lack a bit of defence on the ropes.

Kirishima (father krishmas) got outta kadoban so I'm happy with that too.

Kinbozan, Gonoyama, Atamifuji all looking like very strong newcomers.

Abi trying to bait a hundred henkas towards the end was funny too

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lost my loving mind watching abi do back to back henkas

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Final day stuff, so using spoiler tags just in case: I'm looking forward to all three ozeki being out of kadoban for November. Very impressed by Hoshoryu fighting back to KK after a weak start.

Also, lame final bout notwithstanding, I'll have to be rooting for Takakeisho in November.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2023

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Takakeisho won before the match even started. He completely psyched Atamafuji out and deserved that win just on the mental game alone.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hate spoiler tags but i'm just going to say that the guy who won the cup could beat any rikishi when he's on and not carrying debilitating injuries. i am a big fan of his and i will be rooting for him come november.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Dimebags Brain posted:

Takakeisho won before the match even started. He completely psyched Atamafuji out and deserved that win just on the mental game alone.

(Final bout spoilers)
I was impressed by what he was able to do with the positioning of his fist to confuse Atamifuji and throw off his timing for the tachi-ai (or at least, that's what it looked like he was doing to me).

Marching Powder posted:

i hate spoiler tags but i'm just going to say that the guy who won the cup could beat any rikishi when he's on and not carrying debilitating injuries. i am a big fan of his and i will be rooting for him come november.

:yeah:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i like when the big wide men do the big slappy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I am one of those with an irrational hate-on for that guy and I will never be convinced otherwise. gently caress him forever.

I'm glad no one got hurt this basho. That doesn't seem to happen much these days!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hirayuki posted:

I am one of those with an irrational hate-on for that guy and I will never be convinced otherwise. gently caress him forever.

I'm glad no one got hurt this basho. That doesn't seem to happen much these days!

No one in makuuchi got hurt. Plenty of injuries in the lower divisions, sadly, including at least one wheeled away in a chair after a bad fall.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Marching Powder posted:

same, gonna be rooting for the champ in the next basho

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

No one in makuuchi got hurt. Plenty of injuries in the lower divisions, sadly, including at least one wheeled away in a chair after a bad fall.
That's true; I should have been more specific. I heard about that injury and it seemed awful. Hope he's okay, and that his heya is one that believes in letting him rest up and heal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
dont worry everyone

Terunofuji and Hakuoho will save us

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Fearless posted:

Hirayuki posted:

That's true; I should have been more specific. I heard about that injury and it seemed awful. Hope he's okay, and that his heya is one that believes in letting him rest up and heal.

So if Ya'll are talking about Onojo, that wasn't exactly an injury in the usual sense sense (knees, limbs, etc), he fell face-first in to the tawara after pushing his opponent out and appeared very concussed, he did eventually climb back up to the dohyo but was indeed wheeled out afterwards, he did show up for the Makushita playoff a couple days later, though with some bandages on his face.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
is kiho the boy in juryo with the wide step

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Blatantly stealing this one from nattocord:

I've been watchin Atami since makushita and a yusho would have been nice... but being perfectly honest, he was nervous as gently caress, and the old pro smelled it and juked him. The only kind of sumo that matters is winning sumo, so well played to hamster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ullerrm posted:

I've been watchin Atami since makushita and a yusho would have been nice... but being perfectly honest, he was nervous as gently caress, and the old pro smelled it and juked him. The only kind of sumo that matters is winning sumo, so well played to hamster.

Kid was wound up so tight Taka did him a favour just doing the slight step/shove down instead of the full get out of the way move. If he let Atami go, he'd have been in the third row before his legs stopped trying to go forward.