Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cynic posted:

There was a guy in the town my wife grew up in who rented a heavy duty woodchipper and mulched his wife into a river. No evidence was found on the woodchipper which went back into rental for months before forensic teams got their hands on it. They never found anything of the wife other than a few splinters of bone. They could draw a line between the guy, the disposal method and location, but not enough evidence was found for it to even be proven in court. For all we know, it could still be out there, having known the taste of human flesh.

My husband and went on a road trip with a couple friends when we were in our 20s, we headed deep into rural interior British Columbia and crashed at a roadside motel in a small village a bit west of Revelstoke. Pretty sure it was Malakwa. We were bored at night and decided to go for a drive. There were rolling patches of fog and it felt pretty spooky.

I guess one of the locals didn't take too kindly to our behavior. We pulled into a school parking lot, and this pickup truck with a camper pulled in behind us. We sat there, hoping he would leave. He then pulls up beside us, and he's also hauling a woodchipper. We got each other all worked up about this serial killer stalking us, and we peeled it out of the parking lot. Drove down a road for a bit, came to a dead end, freaked out again, and headed back in the original direction. We passed our hotel but decided we probably were overreacting and decided to drive around again. Not even a minute later, we saw a dark shape on stopped in the opposite lane. Got close and it was the same truck. Slammed on the brakes, hit reverse, and drove that way back to our hotel.

We sat in the car for a while until we felt safe enough to enter our hotel room and not worry about the guy breaking in and murdering us in our sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/AHNkLEt.mp4

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

PurpleXVI posted:

How many of the sharks can you pet.

It's easy since they are so smooth

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This is just up the road from me. The driving public around here is just dumb as poo poo and super shortsighted/aggressive. I could get into it more, but the example in the clip is just everyday dumbshittery around here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I feel like I'm missing some context out of frame; why'd the lorry stop?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Serephina posted:

I feel like I'm missing some context out of frame; why'd the lorry stop?

I think he wanted to make a left turn through the line of cars and was focused on that instead of the train.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

NoWake posted:

This is just up the road from me. The driving public around here is just dumb as poo poo and super shortsighted/aggressive. I could get into it more, but the example in the clip is just everyday dumbshittery around here.

This is just...everywhere.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The cars rapidly backing out of there is way more awareness than you usually see in this kind of clip

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nenonen posted:

There was a big landslide in Sweden near Gothenburg where a highway and several buildings were destroyed and multiple cars and a bus fell into a trench. Fortunately no deaths. The cause involves quick clay which is found in all countries closest to the North Pole. One possible cause for this happening now is massive rains in the area, but nearby construction works and demolitions could also have attributed. Rains have a tendency to wash away the salt that binds the clay together.

What do you even do with an area this hosed? Is there even any reasonable way to stabilize all that ground for rebuilding those roads and stuff?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If a golden retriever was 3 meters long and weighed half a ton i would be

Absolutely ecstatic to pet the biggest good dog ever

You’re talking about Clifford

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Foxfire_ posted:

The cars rapidly backing out of there is way more awareness than you usually see in this kind of clip

Someone sped up the clip to be more dramatic and get more clicks

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It looks like the truck would've been fine if the green pickup wasn't halfway into the rail crossing while waiting. That dude would've had to panic-reverse regardless of the semi, it looks like the signal boom came down roughly above its hood.

Curious to see how that spot is marked under the cars, is that a left turn lane that stops a car length back from the lane to its right, to prevent exactly the conflict in the video?

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

DRINK ME posted:

You’re talking about Clifford

Wasn’t that an issue with the Clifford movie they made him too realistic and it was creepy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Javid posted:

It looks like the truck would've been fine if the green pickup wasn't halfway into the rail crossing while waiting. That dude would've had to panic-reverse regardless of the semi, it looks like the signal boom came down roughly above its hood.

It looks like the semi had plenty of clearance and was fine to keep driving straight. He was either trying to turn into a lot on the right side of the screen or misjudged his load and thought he was going to hit the green truck. Either way, there's a big vacant lot on hir right, he should have just pulled into that to clear the tracks.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 24, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Javid posted:

Curious to see how that spot is marked under the cars, is that a left turn lane that stops a car length back from the lane to its right, to prevent exactly the conflict in the video?

The yellow marking on the road underneath the white pickup is a space you're supposed to keep clear so other vehicles can make a left turn into a side street that's just out of camera. Technically the front two vehicles are exactly where they should be (you can see the line in front of the green pickup's tires), and all the other queuing vehicles should be a couple of lengths back.

The truck got hosed up because the driver was trying to make that left turn, and was too much of an idiot to realise that the back of his trailer was hanging out over the train line while he was waiting.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jabor posted:

The yellow marking on the road underneath the white pickup is a space you're supposed to keep clear so other vehicles can make a left turn into a side street that's just out of camera.

I don't think that's right cause there's a double yellow there and you don't cross double yellows.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

MuscaDomestica posted:

Wasn’t that an issue with the Clifford movie they made him too realistic and it was creepy.

I didn’t see it but when searching for that I did see images from the live action movie and I definitely don’t like the look of him there.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
martin short is a treasure

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/zNSHtz0.mp4

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

At this point I'm only watching these to see where he hides his watermark this time

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
that's one hot lifesaver

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

These lord of the rings prequels are getting more and more complicated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a wasp problem in a stone wall nearby, maybe I should just shove a makeshift flamethrower in the entryway and let loose. Seems easier than hiring an exterminator!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got a wasp problem in a stone wall nearby, maybe I should just shove a makeshift flamethrower in the entryway and let loose. Seems easier than hiring an exterminator!

It's cheaper to just hit it with a stick.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Fauxshiz posted:

People who go into the ocean are loving maniacs. All of you going more than ankle deep at the beach included. gently caress that place.

I have a friend who works for the NZ Department of Conservation, she was diving in Fiordland when she felt a squeeze on the back of her head. She turned around to see a sharks mouth, taking an "exploratory bite".
She told us this story as proof that "diving was safe and no, you don't need to worry about sharks". I believe her about not having to worry about sharks, but that story did not help.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://i.imgur.com/DjjbPIs.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

klen dool posted:

I have a friend who works for the NZ Department of Conservation, she was diving in Fiordland when she felt a squeeze on the back of her head. She turned around to see a sharks mouth, taking an "exploratory bite".
She told us this story as proof that "diving was safe and no, you don't need to worry about sharks". I believe her about not having to worry about sharks, but that story did not help.

Aw, it's just a little play-bite, like a cat would give. How adorable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah it’s like when a pelican noms on a capybara.

nbd

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I don't think that's right cause there's a double yellow there and you don't cross double yellows.

Turning across a double yellow line is legal.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That is probably worst place for a crossing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The barriers all seem to come down pretty late in these clips given the unstoppable nature of the trains involved. A bit more notice than a minute or whatever would probably help.

Then again people would just drive round it or shoot it or something.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

I've heard of people using a shopvac for that. Put some water in it and go nuts.

I really wish this insecticide was allowed for public use in Canada. It's the perfect thing for getting rid of earth and structure nests, but you need a license to use it here.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Dust-Multi-Control-Insecticide/dp/B002Y6B4A8

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nobody wants to be held up waiting for a train that isn't actually going to be there for several minutes.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

PurpleXVI posted:

What do you even do with an area this hosed? Is there even any reasonable way to stabilize all that ground for rebuilding those roads and stuff?

The first video does show how they rebuild and made the area safe(r) after the landslide, so a similar procedure is probably used. Dynamite the dangerous parts near the hill, until you hit bedrock, and build the road there. Bulldoze and landscape the area to look nicer. Most likely the land has slid all it could in that area, so it's stable again, but they could deny building in the area if it's still considered dangerous.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

And when that didn't work I rented a wood chipper...

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The barriers all seem to come down pretty late in these clips given the unstoppable nature of the trains involved. A bit more notice than a minute or whatever would probably help.

Then again people would just drive round it or shoot it or something.

Yeah this is exactly what happens if you make the wait too long.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CupXZ6jInc9/

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In the UK when large vehicles need to cross train tracks and need extra time, they're supposed to park up and call a control room to check - there's usually a phone mounted somewhere by the crossing that dials straight in (although there's probably an app or at least a number you can call from mobile now). Is that a thing in the US?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Yeah, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Canuckistan posted:

I've heard of people using a shopvac for that. Put some water in it and go nuts.

I really wish this insecticide was allowed for public use in Canada. It's the perfect thing for getting rid of earth and structure nests, but you need a license to use it here.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Dust-Multi-Control-Insecticide/dp/B002Y6B4A8

Use molten Aluminum!
https://www.solidsmack.com/fabrication/pouring-molten-aluminum-into-a-wasp-nest-makes-for-an-interesting-table-piece/