Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sure they will partner up with some American company to get overseas eventually. It's a shame that Kentucky is just so inexorably tied to Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

time to continue eating bread and boiled eggs like a loving plebeian

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

time to continue eating bread and boiled eggs like a loving plebeian

Looks like someone didn't get pizza. :smug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure they will partner up with some American company to get overseas eventually. It's a shame that Kentucky is just so inexorably tied to Japan.

It's weird that this post, despite being patently absurd, is also somehow a true statement.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ancient Vulcan proverb: only the Colonel could go to Japan

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

revenge is a dish best served cole(slaw)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/saintborel/status/1705828886154760540?t=-G01MzxTiRX01DXJSNQNPg&s=19

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
one montn till we see yoshi-p come out on stage dressed like a pirate

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/freydraws/status/1705825300632777089?t=Nw80GBhi42UMOCrS_Bx1CA&s=19

Also, drat, Soken finished the trailer music yesterday.
https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1705490954260746594?t=u27aI1cjpmcMGuCSaPOX0A&s=19

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mordiceius posted:

The thing that cracks me up is that we had multiple expansions of people complaining “every patch is basically the exact same poo poo. They should add some new and unique content that is completely different.”

Then they create island sanctuary and v/c dungeons. Are both perfect without a single flaw? Nah, but they’re cool, different content and make for a great foundation for future content.

These people now: “stop doing new things! why aren’t you just giving me the exact same content you did in the past?”

i think part of this is that even though reddit posters look interchangeable, it's actually not the same people. the playerbase had changed greatly from the start of heavensward to the start of shadowbringers, and even more so shadowbringers to endwalker because of wow imploding on itself. there are a lot of people used to wow's drip-feed style of releasing content and the gear mechanics pushing you to keep playing because a theoretical upgrade is always possible. also lots of people who only play mmos, and one mmo at a time is their only game, which is a style that other games are compatible with but 14 grates against to a certain degree.

e: the degree to which the "average complainer" changes drastically per expansion really can't be overstated, along with the different game landscapes those complainers come from. on HW launch, the consistently loudest voices in the room were people who thought that FF14 had abandoned too many concepts from 1.0/FF11, which is why there's a sudden spike in open-world mob HP in HW, why they started trying exploratory missions with Diadem, why gordias and midas were hard enough to kill raiding as an activity outside of one server per DC.*

even the wow refugees during stormblood came from a different paradigm of game design in wow than the covid/blizzard meltdown mid-shadowbringers set.

*the reason these people got listened to more is that they existed in japan too, where all the wow-perspective complaints about 14 are exclusive to languages the dev team does not speak natively so they're going to get through a bit less. also listening too much to online complainers in HW was bad for the game and CBU3 figured that out then so their perspective is different now

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 24, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mordiceius posted:

All of the HW fish are the worst. I actually got lucky and got Sea Butt in only a handful of attempts. Charibenet took me drat near 50 tries.

By the way, for all three and a half of us that are curious about this, I raised the question of 'hardest expansion for legendary fish' to the big fishing discord. And it turns out each expansion has different people arguing entirely different reasons you could say they had the hardest legendary fish, which is neat!

Heavensward at this point has been nerfed pretty hard through gradual introduction of new tools like Surface Slap, Identical Cast and the Metal Spinner, and Opabinia in particular has faced the most nerfs of any rare fish, but for people doing the legendary fishing at launch it was the hardest. The ways they've been nerfed and power crept since mean that all the HW rare fish are pretty samey now, but none of them are down into being actually easy, and the ones that are still holding on to difficulty (Sea Butterfly, Charibenet, arguably Reimdellopteris) are REALLY holding on; even with all those tools, they're still really hard.

Stormblood has the fish with the longest histories as tough catches without meaningful nerfs, between Ruby Dragon, Stethacanthus, and Warden of the Seven Hues. That lineup probably also makes Stormblood the hardest on average rather than my assumption of Heavensward, because they're just that hard that they make up for the relatively pedestrian Unconditional and Drepanaspis.

And while Shadowbringers has the most infamous fish even outside of the fishing community with Cinder Surprise, it's actually got its case for 'hardest' because of future-proofing. All the really tough legendary fish in Shadowbringers are basically impossible to nerf, because they're hard for reasons that are kind of inherent to how fishing works as a whole. There's just not a way to make Ealad Skaan easier without changing the whole system around it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

You do not think our loveliest of branches would aid us if we called them?

Oh! Jail for sapling! Jail for sapling for One Thousand Years!

I just want more Feo Ul in general. They're such an absolute shitposter I love them so much :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I was just thinking, we've had volleyball, soccer/football and basketball bits so far through the EW Hildi quests, what's coming for 6.55? My guess is baseball, since that's decently big in Japan. Enough so I'm kinda surprised it wasn't earlier.

What else? Thinking of other popular sports anime makes me think of swimming, but that doesn't fit the style. Ping-pong/table tennis? I could easily see a bit for that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Onean posted:

I was just thinking, we've had volleyball, soccer/football and basketball bits so far through the EW Hildi quests, what's coming for 6.55? My guess is baseball, since that's decently big in Japan. Enough so I'm kinda surprised it wasn't earlier.

What else? Thinking of other popular sports anime makes me think of swimming, but that doesn't fit the style. Ping-pong/table tennis? I could easily see a bit for that.

Air. Hockey.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

fishing is easy and fun, either you catch it or you don't.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onean posted:

Blitzball.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, huh, apparently YoshiP highly recommended doing all of Eden and the HW Trials before doing 6.5. I don't know where, but it was apparently kinda recent?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

YohiP, posted:

No Blitzball

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

Oh, huh, apparently YoshiP highly recommended doing all of Eden and the HW Trials before doing 6.5. I don't know where, but it was apparently kinda recent?

Magazine interview with both Famitsu and I think Daigetsu.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Well, gotta replenish my catbook second chances somehow, may as well do it catching up on an old raid series.

EW was the first time I ever touched an 8-man raid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Well, gotta replenish my catbook second chances somehow, may as well do it catching up on an old raid series.

EW was the first time I ever touched an 8-man raid.

:whitewater:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The 8 main raids are all pretty great. Definitely not content you want to skip

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
One minor thing I'd say to someone who hasn't done 8-player raids before: I'd say that Eden is probably the hardest when it comes to the normal-difficulty raids. That's not to say it'll be hard, especially if you've already done Pandaemonium which probably scores second place in that race, but Eden just has a lot of weird poo poo in its pocket.

It's one ofhte big things that occurs to me every time someone says 'they should make Eden compulsory so they can add this one character from it to the MSQ'; guys, people hate getting told to do the Crystal Tower and that's a sleepwalk, Eden's actually kinda tricky, so many idiots would get so loving mad!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's the patch date

E: nm saw it in the spoiler thread

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The fried chicken emote being JP only is the worst thing that's ever happened with this game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Going to sit here with my /pizza and not be bitter at all...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NA should get an exclusive big mac emote

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Five-man raid for Five Guys

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Another complaint I'm seeing is people now being like "ugh, you can just finish the MSQ and Alliance raids in one day, this content isn't going to last a week"

I don't know where any of these players have been in the last 10 years but do they want MSQ to take like 4 weeks to finish or Alliance raids to be Ultimate difficulty so no one is clearing that poo poo week one

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why can't game devs produce literally infinite content for me? What? Play other games? There aren't any

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They should be grateful it's only going to last a week because there's like 4 major game releases later in the month that all come out within the span of a week

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get that people have made playing this game into their job, but I don't want it to become mine

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Macaluso posted:

They should be grateful it's only going to last a week because there's like 4 major game releases later in the month that all come out within the span of a week

Also, they're all still playing Baldur's Gate 3 for the fourth time.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Nah, Armored Core 6 for me. Gotta get that high speed giant robot action.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MechaX posted:

Another complaint I'm seeing is people now being like "ugh, you can just finish the MSQ and Alliance raids in one day, this content isn't going to last a week"

I don't know where any of these players have been in the last 10 years but do they want MSQ to take like 4 weeks to finish or Alliance raids to be Ultimate difficulty so no one is clearing that poo poo week one

I feel like the underlying complaint/issue is how much is in 6.55 vs 6.5, with how far 6.55 is away.

But one way or another, there's a long time between now and the expansion, so there's not really a way around a content drought. I personally wouldn't mind a little more to do now, and less to do later so that I could maybe just take a longer hiatus or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the Armoire, what are "optional items"?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

For the Armoire, what are "optional items"?

Optional items has generally referred to stuff you buy off the mogstation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've also seen some people acting like the few months between the last patch and the expansion launch is like some new content drought when it's always been like 6 months between .55 and .0.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Nah, Armored Core 6 for me. Gotta get that high speed giant robot action.

Here's the secret formula: the people who think FFXIV is just fine right now but recognize that it's not an all-the-time food are mostly playing Armored Core 6. Everyone who thinks the game is dying because it doesn't have exactly the content they want, no matter how niche? They're mostly piled into Baldur's Gate and have Strong Feelings about Astarion. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it'll carry you most of the way.

And while completely unrelated: Live Letter Day is a red-letter day!

(I've expended all my fishing luck and I won't hook the Stethacanthus until June)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

Optional items has generally referred to stuff you buy off the mogstation.

Oh, I thought that had already gone through. My mistake.