Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is it just me or do the 2nd gen AirPod pros have way more bass than the first gen?
Thinking about upgrading my APP1 especially since Best Buy has the new USBC APP2 for $199. Can I trade-in at the time of purchase and get credited toward the purchase, or do I have to ship them somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Josh Lyman posted:

Thinking about upgrading my APP1 especially since Best Buy has the new USBC APP2 for $199. Can I trade-in at the time of purchase and get credited toward the purchase, or do I have to ship them somewhere?

I believe you can trade in at time of purchase. I'm going to trade in my airpod gen 2 next week at BB.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Is it just me or do the 2nd gen AirPod pros have way more bass than the first gen?

They do, pretty much every frequency graph I’ve seen of them has shown they’re way closer to the Harman in-ear target than the more neutral tuning of the original Pros.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Remember to enable sharing for your AirTags if you are in a family!

Hell yeah. Other people have to be on iOS 17 though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I brought mine into the store when I picked it up. Apparently getting a promo price on a trade in isn’t super common so they had to go between a couple people to get it all sorted out. They gave me a $40 gift card though instead of refunding $40, but whatever.

I brought mine in the original box and make sure to remove it from your account.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Hell yeah. Other people have to be on iOS 17 though.

Now my wife can track down our old man cat too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has anyone used one of those “cases” that are just like a bumper on the top and bottom?

I guess they’d be useless if you dropped your phone onto any kind of edge.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Has anyone used one of those “cases” that are just like a bumper on the top and bottom?

I guess they’d be useless if you dropped your phone onto any kind of edge.
It was all the rage in the iPhone 4 days. Because Apple gave them out.

It’s a nice option if you put a screen protector on the front and a skin on the back. Won’t protect you from really bad drops but seems like it’s pretty cheap to replace the glass this time round, anyway.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
After moving to a new iPhone (12 to 15, using the direct connection thing to move everything over) I don't have my text message history. Some stuff is there but the literal years of texts I've had all this time don't seem to be. For some reason Messages wasn't enabled in the iCloud settings, so now I'm extremely paranoid I just lost all those old texts since I wiped the old 12 already. iCloud is saying there's 20GB of data for messages so hopefully it'll just appear eventually?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

My quest to trade in my iPhone on my Apple order at the fruit stand was a no go. Apparently, since I got instant credit on my order, I need to ship my phone back.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EC posted:

After moving to a new iPhone (12 to 15, using the direct connection thing to move everything over) I don't have my text message history. Some stuff is there but the literal years of texts I've had all this time don't seem to be. For some reason Messages wasn't enabled in the iCloud settings, so now I'm extremely paranoid I just lost all those old texts since I wiped the old 12 already. iCloud is saying there's 20GB of data for messages so hopefully it'll just appear eventually?
Yes iirc it takes a while to redownload it all and obviously the servers are getting hammered this weekend.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes iirc it takes a while to redownload it all and obviously the servers are getting hammered this weekend.

#sufferingfromsuccess

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Got everything transferred over from my 13PM to 15PM.

Overall I'm - kinda meh on it? The color is nice and the feel in hand is good. I like the dynamic island, though it kinds makes it harder to swipe down from the top.

The 5x Zoom is nice - but honestly my basic to just above basic photography skills doesn't really show me much improvement from my 13. Don't really notice anything in speed and general use.

Work covers my phone every 2 years so I'm gonna keep it if for no other reason than a fresh battery but it still feels rather iterative to me which is surprising at the 2 year mark.

I tried out the FineWoven just for shits and giggles - God, that is an actual embarassment for Apple. Hard to know which case I like less - that or Apple's slimy clear case - but at least that one isn't $60.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

iMessage sync was always disabled by default, welp

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Messages aren’t in an iCloud backup?

Edit:
“If you haven't turned on Messages in iCloud, your messages are included in iCloud Backup. If you use Messages in iCloud, your messages automatically sync to iCloud so they aren’t included in your daily backup.”

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

smackfu posted:

Edit:
“If you haven't turned on Messages in iCloud, your messages are included in iCloud Backup. If you use Messages in iCloud, your messages automatically sync to iCloud so they aren’t included in your daily backup.”

E:misreading

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

smackfu posted:

Edit:

So if I didn't restore from an iCloud backup they won't be restored? 🤦‍♂️

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s a different question, but worst case you can restore again from an iCloud backup.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I got FineWoven in blue and a FineWoven wallet for my 15 PM. I like them but I understand if some people don't.

The main reason why I got them is the magnetic strength on the FineWoven stuff is stronger than their leather cases and the other offerings. I stood there for about 10 minutes testing out the FineWoven, the silicone, and the Otterboxes the Apple Store had. I think they upgraded the magnets in both the case and wallet or something. That wallet is NOT coming off easily like the leather ones.

glassyalabolas posted:

I believe you can trade in at time of purchase. I'm going to trade in my airpod gen 2 next week at BB.

Wait you can trade in AirPods? Apple won't take mine. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not with Apple, but Bestbuy does.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

iPhone 15 Pro is a completely unnecessary upgrade from my 13 Pro, but holy christ what a nice phone to hold.

The dynamic island is a definite quality of life improvement, but I’m not sure about the always-on screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The always on screen has been a giant QOL improvement when I have the phone propped up when I’m cleaning at work. I don’t have to dry my hands or wet touch my phone to see what a song is any more.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Always on screen is kinda distracting. I might eventually get used to it. But I kinda think they need a UI that looks cleaner than the regular lock screen. Maybe just the time and some icons, centered.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can configure it to have exactly that. :v:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Not a fan of AOD, I turned it off

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Twenty(ish) years of Titanium at Apple.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

GhostOfTomNook posted:

iPhone 15 Pro is a completely unnecessary upgrade from my 13 Pro, but holy christ what a nice phone to hold.

The dynamic island is a definite quality of life improvement, but I’m not sure about the always-on screen.

I am very pleasantly surprised by how much nicer it is to hold as well. I’m going bare with this one and embracing it as a tool I enjoy and have peace of mind with AppleCare+.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i kinda want to get new usb-c airpod pros.. i bought the original pros when they first came out and they're still running pretty good for me. i've noticed the battery's dipped a little bit but they're still going. honestly one of the best products i've ever bought for how much i use them.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

For me AOD is a solution in search of a problem. I've never really needed to be able to glance at my phone to see the time immediately, especially now that I almost 24/7 an apple watch or can yell for siri or google to do it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

Owns.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

That blue looks a lot better than I was expecting. Need to get my eyes on one once the hype dies down a bit.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There seems to be a bug where basically all my iTunes-synced music is being duplicated in storage, or at least I assume that’s what’s going on.

I normally have like 80 gig free on this phone but now over 65 gig has appeared that didn’t used to be there under a new category of “synced content”, as well as the usual 67 gig of music.

Anyone else having this issue and knows a way around it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Virtue posted:

That blue looks a lot better than I was expecting. Need to get my eyes on one once the hype dies down a bit.

kefka can tell us shortly whether he has a keylight on the scene, but I've never really seen mine that "light".

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/krzyzanowskim/status/1705541904144707912

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

In case this happens to someone else: after I enabled sync for Messages in iCloud settings, all the messages appeared overnight. 🎉

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ChaosArgate posted:

You can configure it to have exactly that. :v:

Ah sick, just turned off the wallpaper on AOD, and it looks so much better.

The dimmed wallpaper just looked bad, like there was something wrong and the phone was stuck in a weird state.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit my notifications are now playing at 1000% volume no matter what I have the volume slider set to. What the gently caress

E: rebooting fixed it

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 24, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Question Mark Mound posted:

There seems to be a bug where basically all my iTunes-synced music is being duplicated in storage, or at least I assume that’s what’s going on.

I normally have like 80 gig free on this phone but now over 65 gig has appeared that didn’t used to be there under a new category of “synced content”, as well as the usual 67 gig of music.

Anyone else having this issue and knows a way around it?

I messed with this on my phone and did some googling and it appears that someone hosed up the bar graph and synced content just needs to be its own separate thing off to the side. It contains pieces of music and videos and so on but does not actually represent more space used. In my case I added everything up and I was like, oh that’s way more than the storage capacity of my phone so this is clearly a display bug or a poorly thought out “feature”.

Anyway it is some dumb part of iOS 17

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Excited about the USB-C. My wife has an iPad Pro and it’s pretty neat how she can plug it in to the single cable I normally use on my desktop Mac and get screen mirroring, keyboard, mouse, microphone, webcam, and charging with no fuss.

I’m not sure all those things work on the phone as well but it’s pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dogen posted:

I messed with this on my phone and did some googling and it appears that someone hosed up the bar graph and synced content just needs to be its own separate thing off to the side. It contains pieces of music and videos and so on but does not actually represent more space used. In my case I added everything up and I was like, oh that’s way more than the storage capacity of my phone so this is clearly a display bug or a poorly thought out “feature”.

Anyway it is some dumb part of iOS 17
I think it affects more than just the graph. The phone said I didn’t have enough storage to apply the new iOS update until I deleted a few things off it to get it going.

Looked into it myself and apparently this has been a problem since some of the developer betas last month.